Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,398 members, 7,781,143 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 09:40 AM

Samuel ETO'O IS From Ebonyi State - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Samuel ETO'O IS From Ebonyi State (4748 Views)

AFCON: Cameroon FA Rejects Samuel Eto'o Fils' Resignation / Samuel Eto'o Fils Physically Attacks Algerian Youtuber In Qatar (video) / Samuel Eto'o Is New Cameroon Football Federation President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Samuel ETO'O IS From Ebonyi State by mauriceju2(m): 9:47pm On Dec 28, 2019
Eto mean tree in Efik and Ibibio language
Re: Samuel ETO'O IS From Ebonyi State by murphyibiam15(m): 9:48pm On Dec 28, 2019
BluntBoy:

If there is any evidence, the person that last modified the page would have provided a link. But check the page, the references are very few and none seemed to contain a lead to the site where the editor had gotten his information.

Someone merely modified the page and included Eto's name. The admins mostly don't take this seriously since the page is unprotected.
Is not about admins..if it was wrong people would have most likely argued about it and Wikipedia would have taken it down..so far it stays is correct
Re: Samuel ETO'O IS From Ebonyi State by murphyibiam15(m): 9:50pm On Dec 28, 2019
mauriceju2:

Eto mean tree in Efik and Ibibio language
Eti(o)okwe means play-game in Igbo
Re: Samuel ETO'O IS From Ebonyi State by BluntBoy(m): 9:51pm On Dec 28, 2019
murphyibiam15:

Is not about admins..if it was wrong people would have most likely argued about it and Wikipedia would have taken it down..so far it stays is correct

When last was the page modifed?

As for the bold, I am just seeing the page. Maybe many people have not seen it yet. So, the fact that it hasn't been modified does not mean that it is correct.

I am sure this is the work of a mischievous editor.
Re: Samuel ETO'O IS From Ebonyi State by murphyibiam15(m): 9:51pm On Dec 28, 2019
BluntBoy:

It is not entirely a good idea because sometimes someone would come up with false information driven by tribalism, racism. They always get banned by the admin, but what about people who would have seen the page before the admin modify it?
I get u..but atleast every other information there is verifiable and correct which makes this one to be true, if not it would have been taken down long before now
Re: Samuel ETO'O IS From Ebonyi State by murphyibiam15(m): 9:53pm On Dec 28, 2019
BluntBoy:

When last was the page modifed?

As for the bold, I am just seeing the page. Maybe many people have not seen it yet. So, the fact that it hasn't been modified does not mean that it is correct.

I am sure this is the work of a mischievous editor.
You can't call it mischievous since you don't even know how true it is yourself..you should rather say u can't verify now..but every other thing there is correct so is most likely correct

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Samuel ETO'O IS From Ebonyi State by BluntBoy(m): 9:53pm On Dec 28, 2019
murphyibiam15:

I get u..but atleast every other information there is verifiable and correct which makes this one to be true, if not it would have been taken down long before now

How sure are you that all the information there are correct? Some of the information may even be outdated. There are Wikipedia pages that have not been modified for many years.
Re: Samuel ETO'O IS From Ebonyi State by budaatum: 9:54pm On Dec 28, 2019
BluntBoy:

If there is any evidence, the person that last modified the page would have provided a link. But check the page, the references are very few and none seemed to contain a lead to the site where the editor had gotten his information.

Someone merely modified the page and included Eto's name. The admins mostly don't take this seriously since the page is unprotected.
It isn't the admins duty to monitor every page, monitoring is every contributors duty. If any one has evidence (or not, for that matter), that Eto is not from Ebonyi they can edit. Disputes would involve admins checking evidence, and only the truth would stand eventually, or wiki would have died by now.

You may all wish to read about malicious editing of Wikipedia pages.

Re: Samuel ETO'O IS From Ebonyi State by murphyibiam15(m): 9:55pm On Dec 28, 2019
BluntBoy:

How sure are you that all the information there are correct? Some of the information may even be outdated. There are Wikipedia pages that have not been modified for many years.
I'm 100% sure of those information there and yet to confirm that of Eto, ..atleast I know those people listed there before now.
Re: Samuel ETO'O IS From Ebonyi State by budaatum: 9:59pm On Dec 28, 2019
BluntBoy:

You might have a point. Evidence for his fathers hometown is scarce.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49687395

Re: Samuel ETO'O IS From Ebonyi State by BluntBoy(m): 10:03pm On Dec 28, 2019
budaatum:

It isn't the admins duty to monitor every page, monitoring is every contributors duty. If any one has evidence (or not, for that matter), that Eto is not from Ebonyi they can edit. Disputes would involve admins checking evidence, and only the truth would stand eventually, or wiki would have died by now.

You may all wish to read about malicious editing of Wikipedia pages.

You are getting everything wrong.

Where did I write that the admins monitor the page?

Moreover, Wikipedia pages are not always the same. Pages like Ebonyi can go years without much traffic which is why rate of modifications might be almost unnoticeable.

Be truthful. How many Wikipedia pages of Nigerian states do you visit? These pages can stay unmodified for months.
Re: Samuel ETO'O IS From Ebonyi State by budaatum: 10:06pm On Dec 28, 2019

1 Like

Re: Samuel ETO'O IS From Ebonyi State by budaatum: 10:11pm On Dec 28, 2019
BluntBoy:

You are getting everything wrong.

Where did I write that the admins monitor the page?

Moreover, Wikipedia pages are not always the same. Pages like Ebonyi can go years without much traffic which is why rate of modifications might be almost unnoticeable.

Be truthful. How many Wikipedia pages of Nigerian states do you visit? These pages can stay unmodified for months.
I visit enough, though its not my major source for Naija info since I'm perfectly aware we Nigerians barely edit wiki and when we do we tend to post what we think and believe with no verification whatsoever just as we do here.

Some wiki pages are continously disputed with lots of to and fro in the background. There is a reason it is not accepted in academia. Besides, on important issues, wiki should not be one's sole source for reasons you and others have mentioned.
Re: Samuel ETO'O IS From Ebonyi State by budaatum: 10:12pm On Dec 28, 2019
Please note that despite my research, I can not conclude that Samuel Eto'o is Nigerian from Ebonyi State.

1 Like

Re: Samuel ETO'O IS From Ebonyi State by YungMillionaire: 10:27pm On Dec 28, 2019
Igbos can claim anything. Recently they were claiming davido (saying his grandmother is Igbo - which is not true btw), davido that Yorubas don't even like that much because of his pride grin grin grin
Re: Samuel ETO'O IS From Ebonyi State by Nobody: 6:01am On Dec 29, 2019
Akwa Ibomites and Efiks bear Eto'o,I believe he is either efik,or oron
Lol
Re: Samuel ETO'O IS From Ebonyi State by meeky007(m): 8:26am On Dec 29, 2019
YungMillionaire:
Igbos can claim anything. Recently they were claiming davido (saying his grandmother is Igbo - which is not true btw), davido that Yorubas don't even like that much because of his pride grin grin grin
u don't like Davido because of his pride and u are in pains because samuel Eto'o is from ebonyi state
my brother u must change ur altitude dis year, don't say I didn't tellbu
Re: Samuel ETO'O IS From Ebonyi State by YungMillionaire: 2:55pm On Dec 29, 2019
meeky007:
u don't like Davido because of his pride and u are in pains because samuel Eto'o is from ebonyi state
my brother u must change ur altitude dis year, don't say I didn't tellbu

Guy, number 1 I am not Yoruba. And yes I know Wizkid is far more popular among Yorubas than Davido. Number 2 Eto is not Igbo. Stop spreading this needless lie. If its football legends Igbos have yanfuyanfu, you don't need to be claiming a Camerounian.
Re: Samuel ETO'O IS From Ebonyi State by meeky007(m): 4:00pm On Dec 29, 2019
YungMillionaire:

Guy, number 1 I am not Yoruba. And yes I know Wizkid is far more popular among Yorubas than Davido. Number 2 Eto is not Igbo. Stop spreading this needless lie. If its football legends Igbos have yanfuyanfu, you don't need to be claiming a Camerounian.
u should debate dat with d one who posted it on wikipedia not me
Re: Samuel ETO'O IS From Ebonyi State by dobaduro: 4:45pm On Dec 29, 2019
Seems it is true, I know someone that said he is his cousin and was even showing me a prove to that. Not really convinced but the guy has all the evidence to prove. And the person is from that particular area you mentioned.

quote author=meeky007 post=85299441]I was searching Google about Ebonyi state so I found it
I know some ppl will still doubt it[/quote]

1 Like

Re: Samuel ETO'O IS From Ebonyi State by meeky007(m): 9:00pm On Dec 29, 2019
dobaduro:
Seems it is true, I know someone that said he is his cousin and was even showing me a prove to that. Not really convinced but the guy has all the evidence to prove. And the person is from that particular area you mentioned.

quote author=meeky007 post=85299441]I was searching Google about Ebonyi state so I found it
I know some ppl will still doubt it
they wont believe bcus hes from Ebonyi state
Re: Samuel ETO'O IS From Ebonyi State by BREYZ: 9:40pm On Dec 29, 2019
Wetin u want make we do?
Re: Samuel ETO'O IS From Ebonyi State by thundafire: 10:51pm On Dec 29, 2019
meeky007:
cant u read his father is a migrant, Eto'o is a French language
dis ur English fit make Eto'o reject u oh
Re: Samuel ETO'O IS From Ebonyi State by meeky007(m): 7:29pm On Dec 30, 2019
thundafire:
dis ur English fit make Eto'o reject u oh
but u understood what I wrote
Re: Samuel ETO'O IS From Ebonyi State by Dedetwo(m): 8:50am On Dec 31, 2019
YungMillionaire:

You are definitely losing the handle. How can Igbo claim a Yari.ba? Even his mother is Igbo, Ndigbo will not even claim him as Igbo. However, he/she deserves the right to choose his/her ethnicity. There are popular Yari.ba actors whose mothers were Igbo yet Ndigbo have not claimed them.
Re: Samuel ETO'O IS From Ebonyi State by Dedetwo(m): 8:59am On Dec 31, 2019
Eto = Praise in Igbo

Etochukwu = Praise God

The Eto might have been abbreviated and reconstructed to fit into French lingo.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Real Madrid's Gareth Bale's Long Hair, Fans React To Incredible Photos / Sports Scholarship--club & Academy / Revealed: Mikel Reject Captain Band After Musa Substitute

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.