Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,372 members, 7,808,295 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:59 AM

Sulfation: Major Cause Of Early Car Battery Failure - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Sulfation: Major Cause Of Early Car Battery Failure (1607 Views)

Road Safety: ... Road Accident A Major Cause Of Death Among Little Children. / See The Thousands Of Laptop Battery Cells Used In Tesla Car Battery Parks / I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sulfation: Major Cause Of Early Car Battery Failure by Piyke: 12:52pm On Dec 29, 2019
Sulfation is the formation of lead sulfate crystals on the battery plates. If prolonged, this will lead to a longer charge duration and ultimately early battery failure. A weak charge (<12.6volts) is one of the major causes of sulfation. This applies whether the car battery is on a shelf or in a parked vehicle.

My car battery died recently and I was in the market for a new one. I will detail my experience in subsequent posts...

1 Like

Re: Sulfation: Major Cause Of Early Car Battery Failure by Piyke: 1:13pm On Dec 29, 2019
I usually get about 3years out of car batteries. My rules of engagement for purchasing a new battery are:
1. Buy a reputable Korean brand (for now I don't buy premium brands like Bosch etc)
2. Check the manufacturing date
3. Go with a multimeter to check battery voltage.
4. Don't listen to the battery seller when he starts "Oga this is the latest one in town" cheesy

1 Like

Re: Sulfation: Major Cause Of Early Car Battery Failure by Piyke: 1:20pm On Dec 29, 2019
With multimeter in hand, I headed to Gudu Market. My first stop was where I got my last one. Following a call to Gazzuzz, I settled for Everstart this time. However, when I checked the voltage, it read 12.3 volts.

1 Like

Re: Sulfation: Major Cause Of Early Car Battery Failure by Piyke: 1:24pm On Dec 29, 2019
Back to sulfation, when a 12v car battery sits at <12.45volts the risk for sulfation is higher and I wanted to get the freshest with little or no sulphation.

I left the shop and went to others. The results were even worse. All were 12.2v or less. The first shop offered the best bang for my buck!

1 Like

Re: Sulfation: Major Cause Of Early Car Battery Failure by Piyke: 1:27pm On Dec 29, 2019
I just went back to the first shop, bought the battery and left. My plan was to use my 12v battery charger to fully charge the new battery.

Lest I forget, old battery sold for 3k so I paid the dealer less 3k cheesy.

1 Like

Re: Sulfation: Major Cause Of Early Car Battery Failure by GAZZUZZ(m): 1:31pm On Dec 29, 2019
Interesting. Thanks for sharing
Re: Sulfation: Major Cause Of Early Car Battery Failure by Piyke: 1:38pm On Dec 29, 2019
My lesson from all of this is, in Nigeria we often buy already sulphated car batteries. This is especially true, where the battery is faaar from its manufacture date and has been sitting on the shelf for months with a weak charge (NB: a battery with <12.6v will still start your car).

Salt is added to injury when you buy such batteries and drive mostly congested roads. Batteries are called into action more frequently to supplement engine loads at low RPM. The end result is a battery that is rarely fully charged.

This is why a number of battery shops abroad recommend using a trickle charger. It keeps the battery fully charged and limits the risk of sulphation.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sulfation: Major Cause Of Early Car Battery Failure by Piyke: 1:43pm On Dec 29, 2019
I have fully charged my battery and it reads 13.3v

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sulfation: Major Cause Of Early Car Battery Failure by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:09pm On Dec 29, 2019
Piyke:

nah to connect mine to my solar panel via charge controller grin
Re: Sulfation: Major Cause Of Early Car Battery Failure by id4sho(m): 2:49pm On Dec 29, 2019
Piyke:
How much did it cost you? I bought mine 16k at Abuja too though in 2018 and has been serving me.
Re: Sulfation: Major Cause Of Early Car Battery Failure by SamuelAnyawu(m): 3:45pm On Dec 29, 2019
Piyke:
I just went back to the first shop, bought the battery and left. My plan was to use my 12v battery charger to fully charge the new battery.

Lest I forget, old battery sold for 3k so I paid the dealer less 3k cheesy.

What do they use the old batteries fo
Re: Sulfation: Major Cause Of Early Car Battery Failure by SamuelAnyawu(m): 3:46pm On Dec 29, 2019
id4sho:

How much did it cost you? I bought mine 16k at Abuja too though in 2018 and has been serving me.

Bought mine in Maiduguri 23k
Re: Sulfation: Major Cause Of Early Car Battery Failure by uboma(m): 6:19pm On Dec 29, 2019
@ Piyke,

Thank you for this informative piece. I just realised that you are also reside in the FCT.

How much did you buy the multimeter?

I will like to have my AC checked, are you available to carry out this service?
Re: Sulfation: Major Cause Of Early Car Battery Failure by Piyke: 6:23pm On Dec 29, 2019
GAZZUZZ:

nah to connect mine to my solar panel via charge controller grin

Lol. Any which way that works. cheesy
Re: Sulfation: Major Cause Of Early Car Battery Failure by Piyke: 6:24pm On Dec 29, 2019
id4sho:

You mean the battery charger? Got it for £20 on Amazon
Re: Sulfation: Major Cause Of Early Car Battery Failure by Piyke: 6:28pm On Dec 29, 2019
SamuelAnyawu:

What do they use the old batteries fo

There's a thriving recycling system that recovers the lead for use in new batteries. Not sure if this is done locally, however, it's very much the practice in the West.

1 Like

Re: Sulfation: Major Cause Of Early Car Battery Failure by tensazangetsu20(m): 6:29pm On Dec 29, 2019
Why don't you buy premium batteries like Bosch?

1 Like

Re: Sulfation: Major Cause Of Early Car Battery Failure by Piyke: 6:31pm On Dec 29, 2019
uboma:
@ Piyke,

Thank you for this informative piece. I just realised that you are also reside in the FCT.

How much did you buy the multimeter?

I will like to have my AC checked, are you available to carry out this service?

Can't really remember how much I got the multimeter for, but, it's very available in Naija.

Per the AC, not really available at this time. Compliments of the season!
Re: Sulfation: Major Cause Of Early Car Battery Failure by uboma(m): 6:39pm On Dec 29, 2019
Piyke:

Can't really remember how much I got the multimeter for, but, it's very available in Naija.

Per the AC, not really available at this time. Compliments of the season!

Compliments of the season, Sir.

Going through your threads, loads of information you have provided.

I may contact you in the future for some auto technical support.

Thanks.
Re: Sulfation: Major Cause Of Early Car Battery Failure by AutoElectNG: 7:38pm On Dec 29, 2019
Piyke:
Sulfation is the formation of lead sulfate crystals on the battery plates. If prolonged, this will lead to a longer charge duration and ultimately early battery failure. A weak charge (<12.6volts) is one of the major causes of sulfation. This applies whether the car battery is on a shelf or in a parked vehicle.

My car battery died recently and I was in the market for a new one. I will detail my experience in subsequent posts...

I made a post on the same a while ago https://www.nairaland.com/4743543/tips-tricks-make-automotive-battery#71543973
Re: Sulfation: Major Cause Of Early Car Battery Failure by Piyke: 7:54pm On Dec 29, 2019
tensazangetsu20:
Why don't you buy premium batteries like Bosch?

Just the cost my brother o. They are highly recommended where cost is not an issue

1 Like

Re: Sulfation: Major Cause Of Early Car Battery Failure by Piyke: 7:55pm On Dec 29, 2019
uboma:

Compliments of the season, Sir.

Going through your threads, loads of information you have provided.

I may contact you in the future for some auto technical support.

Thanks.

Thanks Boss. You're welcome!
Re: Sulfation: Major Cause Of Early Car Battery Failure by Piyke: 7:56pm On Dec 29, 2019
AutoElectNG:

I made a post on the same a while ago https://www.nairaland.com/4743543/tips-tricks-make-automotive-battery#71543973

Nice thread you have there. Read through!
Re: Sulfation: Major Cause Of Early Car Battery Failure by Piyke: 8:33pm On Mar 01, 2020
Actually forgot to state that I have an extra 12v 5amp pulse charger (same in the picture) for sale.
Amazon mistakenly delivered 2 to me in separate shipments and decided to pay for the extra one.

Re: Sulfation: Major Cause Of Early Car Battery Failure by Piyke: 8:34pm On Mar 01, 2020
Can charge from 4AH - 100AH 12v batteries
Re: Sulfation: Major Cause Of Early Car Battery Failure by afoife: 9:15pm On Mar 01, 2020
Piyke:
Actually forgot to state that I have an extra 12v 5amp pulse charger (same in the picture) for sale.
Amazon mistakenly delivered 2 to me in separate shipments and decided to pay for the extra one.

How much is it. And please could you share your number.
Re: Sulfation: Major Cause Of Early Car Battery Failure by Piyke: 9:17pm On Mar 01, 2020
afoife:

How much is it. And please could you share your number.

Going for 8k. Send me a PM for number or email piyke(at)diyautoworksng(dot)com
Re: Sulfation: Major Cause Of Early Car Battery Failure by afoife: 9:26pm On Mar 01, 2020
Sent you a message
Re: Sulfation: Major Cause Of Early Car Battery Failure by Piyke: 9:39pm On Mar 01, 2020
afoife:
Sent you a message

Replied
Re: Sulfation: Major Cause Of Early Car Battery Failure by Piyke: 9:49pm On Mar 02, 2020
Piyke:

Sold!!!

(1) (Reply)

Suggestions For Off-road Suvs / Car Races / Custom Officers And Registered Vehicles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.