Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,954 members, 7,806,761 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:51 PM

How Yorubas Made Lagos Former Capital To 7th Largest Economy In Africa - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Yorubas Made Lagos Former Capital To 7th Largest Economy In Africa (7422 Views)

Osinbajo: Seizure Of Funds By Obasanjo Made Lagos Think Like Sovereign State / Lagos Former Governors Have The World's Best Pension / Scenes Of Lagos, Former Capital Of Nigeria In 1967: Throwback Video (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Yorubas Made Lagos Former Capital To 7th Largest Economy In Africa by LegendHer0: 10:11pm On Dec 30, 2019
DMerciful:
I am not particularly interested in Awolowo,
Azikiwe, Akintola, Amadu Bello, Balewa, Ojukwu,
Nzeogwu et all. They are ruined the nation Nigeria. Why did they fought for independence when they were not ready? If the white man had stayed longer we would be better than South Africa today. Imagine fighting for independence only to start fighting yourselves immediately! They are no heroes, Bleep them all! If Gowon like he can go back and release whoever, I dont care!

See we always think our fathers are wrong but if we were in their shoes we will do the same thing.

Everybody want freedom, Infact that is the first right of human being and it is our dignity. The Awo/Zik/Balewa need freedom from the white men, they have oppressed us long enough and fighting for liberty is what a sane person will do.

South Africans also fought for liberty, just that the white man is adamant about the country and they held SA’ns against their will until their independence.

However you are right when you talked about them fighting after independence. They should have divided the country themselves right before independence although the white man actually want us to be one indivisible entity so we have been fuc*ked right from the origin.

If you like blame those late men from now till eternity, it dosen’t stop the fact that the current generation is more clueless than them. It’s an African problem, we can’t rule ourselves.

Even the Rwanda president that we all think was excelling is still clamping down on human right and still denying his people true democracy. Although I love him coz Na craze person fit use rule Africans.
Re: How Yorubas Made Lagos Former Capital To 7th Largest Economy In Africa by Adefatima: 10:12pm On Dec 30, 2019
MetaPhysical:

Every christmas season when ibo go home they are loaded with new script of propaganda. That script is what they will play repeatedly until they return home next year. They dont bother to check if it sounds reasonable or not.

I bet you that ipob is in village as we speak.

I await them next year
Re: How Yorubas Made Lagos Former Capital To 7th Largest Economy In Africa by Adefatima: 10:12pm On Dec 30, 2019
DMerciful:
Number of teachers is a good indices, same with doctors to population ratio. These are sustainable metrics

Lool according to bureau of ipod
Re: How Yorubas Made Lagos Former Capital To 7th Largest Economy In Africa by Adefatima: 10:13pm On Dec 30, 2019
DMerciful:
Being first to do things doesn't mean you cannot be overtaken. Modern football started in England but Brazil is the country to beat!

Show us where you overtook
We need evidence not a paper saying you went to schools and built hospitals no one is saying ibos don’t go to school
Re: How Yorubas Made Lagos Former Capital To 7th Largest Economy In Africa by Nobody: 10:15pm On Dec 30, 2019
Adefatima:

A dull statement
Lol only to a dull person

Your not fooling anybody
Re: How Yorubas Made Lagos Former Capital To 7th Largest Economy In Africa by jneutron4000: 10:17pm On Dec 30, 2019
DMerciful:
I had this same belief that Calabar was once Nigeria capital until I read real history and not primary school textbooks. Read!
Then you must have read beer parlour history. For the facts that Calabar port was built and used to exports labourers( slaves) and resources, your brain ought to decode that lots of activities went down dere.
https://www.britannica.com/place/Calabar
Help yourself with that link, and get the truth.
If any stuff you read online tells you Lagos is the first capital then have it in mind that it's written by a Nigerian or the Nigeria government, and the reason is that Lagos was the Capital when Nigeria gained her independence in 1960 so it was the first time the people of Nigeria moved the capital to Abuja in 1991 and they might want to lay claim that Lagos was the first which is bulshit. Let me educate you on why the capital was moved down to Abuja from Lagos, there are numerous reasons which you can find online why Muritala Muhammad proposed it, IBB excuted it such as the Geographical location of Lagos in the deep heart of Yorubaland, and because it is majorly surrounded by water and it vulnerable to external force, Abuja being more at the centre but the main reasons why Yoruba leaders of thoughs agreed that capital should be moved away from our land was because Nigeria is a multi ethnic country, they do not want our culture to be polarised and diluted also the first coup, Lagos state was captured by you igbo, second coup it was recaptured by Hausa fulanis during the biafra war, you Igbos want to come down to Lagos and bomb it despite the fact that it was Hausa fulanis that was killing you in the North. So the leaders of Yoruba school of thought feel it wise to support the move to move the capital to Abuja. Even some few years back some in the North I can really remember who suggested it, I think Sanusi or el rufai suggested Lagos should be made second Capital but we Yorubas kicked against it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Yorubas Made Lagos Former Capital To 7th Largest Economy In Africa by Osaze007: 10:24pm On Dec 30, 2019
jneutron4000:
Then you must have read beer parlour history. For the facts that Calabar port was built and used to exports labourers( slaves) and resources, your brain ought to decode that lots of activities went down dere.
If any stuff you read online tells you Lagos is the first capital then have it in mind that it's written by a Nigerian or the Nigeria government, and the reason is that Lagos was the Capital when Nigeria gained her independence in 1960 so it was the first time the people of Nigeria moved the capital to Abuja in 1991 and they might want to lay claim that Lagos was the first which is bulshit. Let me educate you on why the capital was moved down to Abuja from Lagos, there are numerous reasons which you can find online why Muritala Muhammad proposed it, IBB excuted it such as the Geographical location of Lagos in the deep heart of Yorubaland, and because it is majorly surrounded by water and it vulnerable to external force, Abuja being more at the centre but the main reasons why Yoruba leaders of thoughs agreed that capital should be moved away from our land was because Nigeria is a multi ethnic country, they do not want our culture to be polarised and diluted also the first coup, Lagos state was captured by you igbo, second coup it was recaptured by Hausa fulanis during the biafra war, you Igbos want to come down to Lagos and bomb it despite the fact that it was Hausa fulanis that was killing you in the North. So the leaders of Yoruba school of thought feel it wise to support the move to move the capital to Abuja. Even some few years back some in the North I can really member I think Sanusi or el rufai suggested Lagos should be made second Capital but we Yorubas kick against it.

Yorubas don’t want any political capital of Nigeria in their territory

They are happy with current status quo

1 Like

Re: How Yorubas Made Lagos Former Capital To 7th Largest Economy In Africa by jneutron4000: 10:25pm On Dec 30, 2019
Osaze007:

Yorubas don’t want any political capital of Nigeria in their territory

They are happy with current status quo
exactly bro
Re: How Yorubas Made Lagos Former Capital To 7th Largest Economy In Africa by DMerciful(m): 10:27pm On Dec 30, 2019
Awolowo had said oil and water cannot mix as at then so he recognized our peculiar situation. Awolowo was arrested because of treason whether rightly or wrongly but this was like 2 or 3 yrs after independence. If this is correct, why agree to be in a geographical expression you see no real future in? Same with Amadu Bello. I know Zik was forceful in advocating for 1 Nigeria but ratio 2:1 should have won. You understand what foundation means? Its difficult to change things now because the foundation is over 59yrs
set . People said there was no seccession clause but there was referendum (plebiscite) in 1963 or 64 to create midwest region. After Ironsi who I blamed for the unitary govt, why did Gowon not return it back to the regions instead started breaking the regions and if you look at it, he did it at the expense of the South. The truth is North backed Gowon wanted to abolish the regional governments because among the regions, they were backward but saw an opportunity in the actions of misguided Nzeogwu to bring the plan to fruition. Till today they are still opposed to going back to 1963 constitution!
LegendHer0:

See we always think our fathers are wrong but if we were in their shoes we will do the same thing.

Everybody want freedom, Infact that is the first right of human being and it is our dignity. The Awo/Zik/Balewa need freedom from the white men, they have oppressed us long enough and fighting for liberty is what a sane person will do.

South Africans also fought for liberty, just that the white man is adamant about the country and they held SA’ns against their will until their independence.

However you are right when you talked about them fighting after independence. They should have divided the country themselves right before independence although the white man actually want us to be one indivisible entity so we have been fuc*ked right from the origin.

If you like blame those late men from now till eternity, it dosen’t stop the fact that the current generation is more clueless than them. It’s an African problem, we can’t rule ourselves.

Even the Rwanda president that we all think was excelling is still clamping down on human right and still denying his people true democracy. Although I love him coz Na craze person fit use rule Africans.

1 Like

Re: How Yorubas Made Lagos Former Capital To 7th Largest Economy In Africa by Osaze007: 10:27pm On Dec 30, 2019
jneutron4000:
exactly bro

It’s just border adjustment of kwara and kogi west Yorubas into greater south west that’s what you want
Re: How Yorubas Made Lagos Former Capital To 7th Largest Economy In Africa by LegendHer0: 10:31pm On Dec 30, 2019
DMerciful:
Awolowo had said oil and water cannot mix as at then so he recognized our peculiar situation. Awolowo was arrested because of treason whether rightly or wrongly but this was like 2 or 3 yrs after independence. If this is correct, why agree to be in a geographical expression you see no real future in? Same with Amadu Bello. I know Zik was forceful in advocating for 1 Nigeria but ratio 2:1 should have won. You understand what foundation means? Its difficult to change things now because the foundation is over 59yrs
set

Yeah agreed. The foundation is faulty and it’s even more hard to break up the country now.

There are lot of factors to look at when talking about breakup of Nigeria. How will the resources be shared? What will be the international policy about the Nigerians that have companies and properties in other people’s region?

What will be the fate of dangote refinery in Lagos in the event of a breakup for example? There are lot of things to consider and a lot of headache to overcome.

Most people talking about breakup have not yet given a clear and concise implementation and disaggregation plan yet but we just keep shouting secession secession without factoring in reality.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Yorubas Made Lagos Former Capital To 7th Largest Economy In Africa by ZZ22: 10:44pm On Dec 30, 2019
DMerciful:
Number of teachers is a good indices, same with doctors to population ratio. These are sustainable metrics
its so hard to wake someone half asleep compared to the one actually sleeping. Stop wasting your time on these people. I posted facts he said its ipob statistics. When my source came he said its because of Azikiwe. You can never school Afonja on superiority of Igbo over them as they will always come up with foolish defense and excuses

1 Like

Re: How Yorubas Made Lagos Former Capital To 7th Largest Economy In Africa by DMerciful(m): 10:45pm On Dec 30, 2019
Southern protectorate wasnt Nigeria! Nigeria came to be in 1914 after amalgamation of Northern and Southern Protectorates! Firstly the Southern protectorate was first joined with the colony of Lagos and capital of the South moved from Calabar to Lagos. That is when resources of the South started going to lagos. But in 1914, the south and North joined together and Luggard's wife suggested the name Nigeria so Calabar was never capital of Nigeria.
jneutron4000:
If any stuff you read online tells you Lagos is the first capital then have it in mind that it's written by a Nigerian or the Nigeria government, and the reason is that Lagos was the Capital when Nigeria gained her independence in 1960 so it was the first time the people of Nigeria moved the capital to Abuja in 1991 and they might want to lay claim that Lagos was the first which is bulshit. Let me educate you on why the capital was moved down to Abuja from Lagos, there are numerous reasons which you can find online why Muritala Muhammad proposed it, IBB excuted it such as the Geographical location of Lagos in the deep heart of Yorubaland, and because it is majorly surrounded by water and it vulnerable to external force, Abuja being more at the centre but the main reasons why Yoruba leaders of thoughs agreed that capital should be moved away from our land was because Nigeria is a multi ethnic country, they do not want our culture to be polarised and diluted also the first coup, Lagos state was captured by you igbo, second coup it was recaptured by Hausa fulanis during the biafra war, you Igbos want to come down to Lagos and bomb it despite the fact that it was Hausa fulanis that was killing you in the North. So the leaders of Yoruba school of thought feel it wise to support the move to move the capital to Abuja. Even some few years back some in the North I can really remember who suggested it, I think Sanusi or el rufai suggested Lagos should be made second Capital but we Yorubas kicked against it.

1 Like

Re: How Yorubas Made Lagos Former Capital To 7th Largest Economy In Africa by DMerciful(m): 10:46pm On Dec 30, 2019
And bini added to Yorubas as well grin
Osaze007:

It’s just border adjustment of kwara and kogi west Yorubas into greater south west that’s what you want
Re: How Yorubas Made Lagos Former Capital To 7th Largest Economy In Africa by Osaze007: 10:47pm On Dec 30, 2019
DMerciful:
And bini added to Yorubas as well grin

That is up to us to decide but we rather partner with Yorubas than igbos

1 Like

Re: How Yorubas Made Lagos Former Capital To 7th Largest Economy In Africa by DMerciful(m): 10:51pm On Dec 30, 2019
That's why firstly I suggest restructuring and border adjustment. All the Yorubas should be in one region, all Igbos in one, all Ijaws , all hausas, some minority tribes can align to be together(they must have documents agreement) and so on, then we go back to regional govts. Where this is not possible, then we can breakup peacefully with good negotiations just like UK is doing with EU
LegendHer0:

Yeah agreed. The foundation is faulty and it’s even more hard to break up the country now.

There are lot of factors to look at when talking about breakup of Nigeria. How will the resources be shared? What will be the international policy about the Nigerians that have companies and properties in other people’s region?

What will be the fate of dangote refinery in Lagos in the event of a breakup for example? There are lot of things to consider and a lot of headache to overcome.

Most people talking about breakup have not yet given a clear and concise implementation and disaggregation plan yet but we just keep shouting secession secession without factoring in reality.
Re: How Yorubas Made Lagos Former Capital To 7th Largest Economy In Africa by Nobody: 10:55pm On Dec 30, 2019
DMerciful:
That's why firstly I suggest restructuring and border adjustment. All the Yorubas should be in one region, all Igbos in one, all Ijaws , all hausas, some minority tribes can align to be together(they must have documents agreement) and so on, the we go back to regional govts. Where this is not possible, then we can breakup peacefully with good negotiations just like UK is doing with EU
This idea is not so different from secession, if we cannot live together in peace what is the point of calling ourselves a country

How will we vote for president under regionalism? how will the military work? So dangote would restrict his business to one region? I think it's a good thing regionalism was abolished
Re: How Yorubas Made Lagos Former Capital To 7th Largest Economy In Africa by DMerciful(m): 10:55pm On Dec 30, 2019
I'm somehow very close to bini. My king was sheltered by bini king when our former king died when he was a baby.The Dein of Agbor Kingdom
Osaze007:

That is up to us to decide but we rather partner with Yorubas than igbos
Re: How Yorubas Made Lagos Former Capital To 7th Largest Economy In Africa by LegendHer0: 10:56pm On Dec 30, 2019
DMerciful:
That's why firstly I suggest restructuring and border adjustment. All the Yorubas should be in one region, all Igbos in one, all Ijaws , all hausas, some minority tribes can align to be together(they must have documents agreement) and so on, then we go back to regional govts. Where this is not possible, then we can breakup peacefully with good negotiations just like UK is doing with EU

Yeah. Sounds like a good plan. Let’s see what will happen.

1 Like

Re: How Yorubas Made Lagos Former Capital To 7th Largest Economy In Africa by DMerciful(m): 10:58pm On Dec 30, 2019
It's like a confederation of many countries in one big entity. The region pay like 20% to run the fg and the military. That's what USA , Canada does though not by ethnic group but by state. Different province here has different criteria for accepting immigrants even though its same Canada. Province negotiate trade agreement even in same country. Alberta sells gas to British Columbia who in turn sells electricity to US. I want same for my motherland!
LordVoldermort:
This idea is not so different from secession, if we cannot live together in peace what is the point of calling ourselves a country

How will we vote for president under regionalism? how will the military work? So dangote would restrict his business to one region? I think it's a good thing regionalism was abolished

1 Like

Re: How Yorubas Made Lagos Former Capital To 7th Largest Economy In Africa by NimrodEndOfDays(m): 11:01pm On Dec 30, 2019
Adefatima:

Better than an entire marker burning down in Anambra without fire service
and the bridge that got burnt in Lagos was swimming with fire tankers.
Re: How Yorubas Made Lagos Former Capital To 7th Largest Economy In Africa by LegendHer0: 11:01pm On Dec 30, 2019
LordVoldermort:

LordVoldermort , You haven’t replied to my last mention where I said you should bring up any evidence to back your claim about the Gowon/Ojukwu/Awo subject matter.

Does your silence means you’ve accepted my own version pending the time you will get a counter evidence?
Re: How Yorubas Made Lagos Former Capital To 7th Largest Economy In Africa by jneutron4000: 11:04pm On Dec 30, 2019
DMerciful:
Southern protectorate wasnt Nigeria! Nigeria came to be in 1914 after amalgamation of Northern and Southern Protectorates! Firstly the Southern protectorate was first joined with the colony of Lagos and capital of the South moved from Calabar to Lagos. That is when resources of the South started going to lagos. But in 1914, the south and North joined together and Luggard's wife suggested the name Nigeria so Calabar was never capital of Nigeria.
The Geographical space named Nigeria was given in the year 1897. That makes Calabar the first capital of Nigeria

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Yorubas Made Lagos Former Capital To 7th Largest Economy In Africa by Nobody: 11:04pm On Dec 30, 2019
LegendHer0:

You haven’t replied to my last mention where I said you should bring up any evidence to back your claim about the Gowon/Ojukwu/Awo subject matter.

Does your silence means you’ve accepted my own version pending the time you will get a counter evidence?
If you read my post at all you would see that wasn't my point many people have given you proof and you nicely ignored it

Who was incharge of the Eastern region?
Re: How Yorubas Made Lagos Former Capital To 7th Largest Economy In Africa by LegendHer0: 11:10pm On Dec 30, 2019
LordVoldermort:
If you read my post at all you would see that wasn't my point many people have given you proof and you nicely ignored it

Who was incharge of the Eastern region?

No one gave me proof on that thread. Not even one source was cited.

What you guys are doing is just using logical deduction to back your assertions and most of the logics are flawed. Like asking rhetorical questions like you just did to derail the request for proof.

It’s simple. Bring out a single source of evidence whether picture/Video/ journals/newspaper archives that can serve as your evidence that Ojukwu released him.

I repeat again, NO one gave evidence to back their assertions. We should have several hundreds/thousands of Igbos profile on this platform, if you all can’t bring a single evidence to support Ojukwu’s claim then I’m ashamed of you guys.
Re: How Yorubas Made Lagos Former Capital To 7th Largest Economy In Africa by DMerciful(m): 11:10pm On Dec 30, 2019
So Calabar was capital of Northern protectorate in 1897? Arguing with you is a waste of time! You can as well say Abuja was proposed in 1975 and that made it Nigeria capital from 1975!
jneutron4000:
The Geographical space named Nigeria was given in the year 1897. That makes Calabar the first capital of Nigeria
Re: How Yorubas Made Lagos Former Capital To 7th Largest Economy In Africa by jneutron4000: 11:13pm On Dec 30, 2019
DMerciful:
So Calabar was capital of Northern protectorate in 1897? Arguing with you is a waste of time! You can as well say Abuja was proposed in 1975 and that made it Nigeria capital from 1975!
it's obvious you have yam in your head and not brain. I have no time to waste with you anymore.
Re: How Yorubas Made Lagos Former Capital To 7th Largest Economy In Africa by Nobody: 11:16pm On Dec 30, 2019
LegendHer0:

No one gave me proof on that thread. Not even one source was cited.

What you guys are doing is just using logical deduction to back your assertions and most of the logics are flawed. Like asking rhetorical questions like you just did to derail the request for proof.

It’s simple. Bring out a single source of evidence whether picture/Video/ journals/newspaper archives that can serve as your evidence that Ojukwu released him.

I repeat again, NO one gave evidence to back their assertions. We should have several hundreds/thousands of Igbos profile on this platform, if you all can’t bring a single evidence to support Ojukwu’s claim then I’m ashamed of you guys.
You didn't provide any proof to oppose Ojukwu claim on your thread, well now you know when I kept silent I can distinguish between a reasonable person, a reactionary and a politician

Gracias
Re: How Yorubas Made Lagos Former Capital To 7th Largest Economy In Africa by MetaPhysical: 11:20pm On Dec 30, 2019
Adefatima:

I await them next year

grin grin
Re: How Yorubas Made Lagos Former Capital To 7th Largest Economy In Africa by LegendHer0: 11:23pm On Dec 30, 2019
LordVoldermort:
You didn't provide any proof to oppose Ojukwu claim on your thread, well now you know when I kept silent I can distinguish between a reasonable person, a reactionary and a politician

Gracias

So New York Times, Reuters, Guardian, and a video from Britishpathe with a time stamp is not enough evidence?

If we can’t accept these news medium that have existed since the 1860s upward as evidence then we can as well say all the information we ever know about nigeria is false. Our amalgamation, independence, Biafran war, etc. are all false because these western press are the ones that actually gave us a detailed report of these incidents.

I will cease this argument coz I’ve achieved my aim. I have been able to prove that all the Igbos on Nairaland cannot bring out a single source of evidence to back their assertions.

Let’s stop discussing on this topic and concentrate on this thread.

Gracias!
Re: How Yorubas Made Lagos Former Capital To 7th Largest Economy In Africa by Dedetwo(m): 12:42am On Dec 31, 2019
jneutron4000:

The best way to hide ignorance is to keep mute.
Re: How Yorubas Made Lagos Former Capital To 7th Largest Economy In Africa by Dedetwo(m): 12:47am On Dec 31, 2019
DMerciful:

Bros you are trying too hard to educate stones.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Yoruba Promise Shut Down North/South Border @ Jebba/Lokoja / Ebele Obiano’s Face Ruined By Excess Plastic Surgery (recent Disturbing Photos) / Alas, Wahab Folawiyo Is Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.