Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,525 members, 7,808,907 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:13 PM

Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? (51581 Views)

I Regret Going To School. Wish My Parents Listened To Me / I Regret Going To The University / What Do You Regret Not Doing In Your University/School Days? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by safarigirl(f): 10:08am On Dec 30, 2019
Kobicove:
I did not do any program abroad but I know several people who regret going abroad to do Masters but still did not get the type of jobs they were hoping for inspite of all the money they spent.

There are a few however that vote very good jobs but some of them are still repaying student loans they took
those people who regret going abroad for Masters would not be any better if they had remained in Nigeria for it.

Someone that cannot make something of abroad Masters would never have made anything from Nigerian Masters. Did they think they would just throw the abroad certificate on the table and get jobs? What extra qualifications did they get? Did they attain any networking skills to be able to harness their knowledge to those in positions of authority or did they just lay back and think a piece of paper would do all the talking?

12 Likes

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by khalidjnr(m): 10:10am On Dec 30, 2019
Kobicove:
I did not do any program abroad but I know several people who regret going abroad to do Masters but still did not get the type of jobs they were hoping for inspite of all the money they spent.

There are a few however that vote very good jobs but some of them are still repaying student loans they took

How can I also get this student loan?
Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by Nobody: 10:11am On Dec 30, 2019
LegendHer0:
You are never going to regret going to USA for your masters under any circumstances.

I can see you’re going for mechanical engineering masters which qualifies you as a STEM student.

The partial funding you had is still good and I’m quite sure you can take up a teaching assistantship job over there to balance the rest of the fees. So no cause for alarm on how to complete your studies financially.

If you graduate with a STEM degree, you will apply for OPT and I’m pretty sure some companies e.g. like Cummins accept Mech Eng. international student on F-I OPT. These companies will then sponsor your H1B visa which will guarantee you more way here.

I’m pretty sure your starting Salary with an engineering masters will be more than you would ever get in Nigeria. I might be wrong tho!

How about going to the US for a Msc in Pharmaceutical Science major.

I am winding up my Degree in Pharmacy here in Nigeria.
Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by hush15: 10:12am On Dec 30, 2019
Mailthaddeus:
Are u going abroad for more study because u wanna have an edge in job search, or u are going because u want to gain more relevant knowledge that will make u a better engineer?

Ur mindset needs to be changed here. Continuesly develop urself with quality learning and the sky will be ur limit. Jobs and opportunities naturally come to a prepared mind.

I agree with the second half of your comment. Not that I disagree with the first but the second can do without the first.

grin
Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by Kingrexyl(m): 10:13am On Dec 30, 2019
Philipmems:
One of the greatest decision I made in my life was to further my education outside the shores of my fatherland. Having a reputable school in the US included in your resume will give you an edge anywhere in the world. Attending a University here in the US, you will be exposed to the latest technologies in your career/field of study. Also, the education system here from the beginning to the end is amazing.
I was ones sceptic once upon a time, I took a leap of fate and voila here I am today living my best life.
Be Fearless
True
Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by Cousin9999: 10:14am On Dec 30, 2019
Congrats. Work hard, and you'll be rewarded. Know that your efforts have as much value as your outcome.
Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by Coldie(m): 10:15am On Dec 30, 2019
Powersurge:

Calm down before you attack people. I worked at a travelling agency in Lagos last two years. I saw at least two persons with a UK degree. One of them was a lady. She came back here to marry a non graduate ( I saw her husband's credentials). And the hubby is not financially sound as well. There are about two others like that. This lady in question did not have any job.
Wow... Na so Nigeria bad reach, even with the abroad credentials no jobs.l

I know a girl who studied in the UK, both bsc and MSC and is in Nigeria, no work.

Since she got the accent she now acts as a TOEFL private tutor.

U can't imagine the kind of business that heavy millions could have yielded if she invested it in Nigeria

6 Likes

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by Nobody: 10:17am On Dec 30, 2019
Mailthaddeus:
Are u going abroad for more study because u wanna have an edge in job search, or u are going because u want to gain more relevant knowledge that will make u a better engineer?

Ur mindset needs to be changed here. Continuesly develop urself with quality learning and the sky will be ur limit. Jobs and opportunities naturally come to a prepared mind.

The two are not mutually exclusive.

Going overseas to study in a reputable institution is always a big boost to your CV. And the reason is because you get quality education that prepares you for the practical application of whatever you might have studied in the real world.

So you see, the two are not mutually exclusive.

5 Likes

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by Powersurge: 10:20am On Dec 30, 2019
Coldie:

Wow... Na so Nigeria bad reach, even with the abroad credentials no jobs.l

I know a girl who studied in the UK, both bsc and MSC and is in Nigeria, no work.

Since she got the accent she now acts as a TOEFL private tutor.

U can't imagine the kind of business that heavy millions could have yielded if she invested it in Nigeria

I will never make that mistake in my life. Education is NOT a function of wealth ooo. If I have money to finance myself in school in place like UK, I will do anything but using it to school there. EXCEPT I am VERY sure of not coming back here.

You mean I will go and spend about 10m-15m to acquire degree and be carrying CV on Nigeria streets? I must be daft then.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by zigzagluv: 10:30am On Dec 30, 2019
you help people secure visa?
Powersurge:

Calm down before you attack people. I worked at a travelling agency in Lagos last two years. I saw at least two persons with a UK degree. One of them was a lady. She came back here to marry a non graduate ( I saw her husband's credentials). And the hubby is not financially sound as well. There are about two others like that. This lady in question did not have any job.
Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by BabbanBura(m): 10:32am On Dec 30, 2019
Dottore:
Honestly I havnt heard or seen anyone who did Masters abroad and came back to Nigeria with better opportunities than the Masters Holders from Nigerian Universities.

The truth is that Nigeria first degree is not valuable abroad so doing only masters abroad is more or less a rip off and waste of time.

The only thing I know about them is AUDIO BENEFITS.

Their parents and sponsors are waiting for the benefits the way Nigeria is waiting for 24/7 electricity power supply.

If you really want to enjoy the benefits of studying abroad you better start with first degree before masters. You can enjoy the benefit both home and abroad.

False, pls do not mislead people with your perception.
Yes our first degree learnings are below adequate but sufficient enough for that level.
The postgraduate degrees in those advanced nations help bridge the inadequacies of our first degree and also add the learnings of the second degree, so any beneficiary is better off.
The problem with some of us with first degrees from Nigerian universities is that, we dont want to buckle up and work extra hard on the inadequacies of the first degrees and therefore only managing to finish the postgraduate with a pass and therefore not quite useful.
Foreign education will definitely give one an edge over what we have in Nigeria. However, one important thing is the fact that a hustling spirit, determined mindset, is more important, most times, than even the foreign university. If u want, go to any length to acquire education, being docile, laid back and not a fighter to make things happen, u will live and die a mediocre with little or no success to show for all the education.

14 Likes

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by GOOOGLE504(m): 10:32am On Dec 30, 2019
NwanyiOkpa:
Good morning,

I hope you are doing great. I intend going abroad for my masters, come this august 2020. I have secured admissions in the USA for MSc. Mechanical Engineering. i have partial funding already and i will be paying for the rest.

To better make my decision, did you have any regrets with studying abroad? did it give you an edge during your job search?

Thanks.

Somethings need to change abt ur mindset missy, you going beyond these shores not only puts you at an advantage for a much better life but opens doors of opportunities.

Your goal right now is not to go and return in search for job but to create lasting networks, make something of ur exposure techwise and academically and upon completion return as a queen.

If not, you will get back, get a job and be massively underpaid.

3 Likes

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by DisGuy: 10:33am On Dec 30, 2019
GogobiriLalas:
It depends on your field of study; if you're going into any of the STEM fields then you MAY have an edge in the jobs market; for any other course, the advantage is mostly psychological; I have 3 masters degrees already from 3 of the world's top universities and I can tell you authoritatively that it hasn't done anything to boost my job's prospect.

If you're not going for STEM my advise is that you should spend your money setting up a business for yourself in Nigeria.

Seriously?

If you don't mind me asking what's your field?

1 Like

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by ritze(m): 10:34am On Dec 30, 2019
Agboriotejoye:

Bros either your village people are following you bumper to bumper or you're just lying which one?
You wouldn't know what he's talking about until you're in his shoes. Majority of the responses i have read so far are extremely ignorant and the person you're attacking has posted one of the most realistic response.

If your parents are paying of course no regrets.

Put you hard earned savings in it, get the visa, study hard, graduate with good grades and see yourself working for peanuts or so under a 23 year old fresh graduate with B.Sc as your manager, then come back and post this comment here.

As for the OP, I'd say studying abroad is worth every penny but still a risk. You're not 100 percent guaranteed a job. But do your thing and see how it works for you. Its hard for anyone to admit regret but there a lots of testimonies too.

God bless our hustle

8 Likes

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by Spanishmilf(m): 10:36am On Dec 30, 2019
Powersurge:

You work in a travel agency yet you don't really follow update on countries, From next year all international graduates could qualify for a two-year period to work in the UK.

2 Likes

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by LegendHer0: 10:38am On Dec 30, 2019
AkeNathan:

How about going to the US for a Msc in Pharmaceutical Science major.

I am winding up my Degree in Pharmacy here in Nigeria.

I really don’t know much about pharmacy MSc admission process but if you can use the “USA Student admission” thread section of Nairaland to make inquiries about that.

https://www.nairaland.com/5233208/general-usa-student-visa-enquiries-part/337

However as I’m pretty sure you can apply the same template of engineering masters to pharmacy.

Pharmacy is also considered as STEM course so you will also enjoy everything I said on the other mention and coming to USA for your masters will be your best decision ever.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by DisGuy: 10:38am On Dec 30, 2019
LegendHer0:
You are never going to regret going to USA for your masters under any circumstances.

I can see you’re going for mechanical engineering masters which qualifies you as a STEM student.

The partial funding you had is still good and I’m quite sure you can take up a teaching assistantship job over there to balance the rest of the fees. So no cause for alarm on how to complete your studies financially.

If you graduate with a STEM degree, you will apply for OPT and I’m pretty sure some companies e.g. like Cummins accept Mech Eng. international student on F-I OPT. These companies will then sponsor your H1B visa which will guarantee you more way here.

I’m pretty sure your starting Salary with an engineering masters will be more than you would ever get in Nigeria. I might be wrong tho!

1 Like

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by ritze(m): 10:39am On Dec 30, 2019
Powersurge:

I will never make that mistake in my life. Education is NOT a function of wealth ooo. If I have money to finance myself in school in place like UK, I will do anything but using it to school there. EXCEPT I am VERY sure of not coming back here.

You mean I will go and spend about 10m-15m to acquire degree and be carrying CV on Nigeria streets? I must be daft then.

Those guys that did aren't daft. They took a risk and didn't work for them. This in the abroad is funny. As a matter of fact you can get a job and still not be happy cos adjusting to the life here no be joke.

You can put that 15m in business and still fail. Does that make you daft? Life on its own is a risk. Just be legit

9 Likes

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by OLUJOSHINS(m): 10:47am On Dec 30, 2019
NwanyiOkpa:

Write GRE, write TOEFL, Apply!

Are these exams one-off

Or

Requires rewriting after some years?

Thanks in advance

1 Like

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by ritze(m): 10:49am On Dec 30, 2019
BabbanBura:

False, pls do not mislead people with your perception.
Yes our first degree learnings are below adequate but sufficient enough for that level.
The postgraduate degrees in those advanced nations help bridge the inadequacies of our first degree and also add the learnings of the second degree, so any beneficiary is better off.
The problem with some of us with first degrees from Nigerian universities is that, we dont want to buckle up and work extra hard on the inadequacies of the first degrees and therefore only managing to finish the postgraduate with a pass and therefore not quite useful.
Foreign education will definitely give one an edge over what we have in Nigeria. However, one important thing is the fact that a hustling spirit, determined mindset, is more important, most times, than even the foreign university. If u want, go to any length to acquire education, being docile, laid back and not a fighter to make things happen, u will live and die a mediocre with little or no success to show for all the education.

God bless you. You talk am finish
Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by harish00000(m): 10:53am On Dec 30, 2019
Not in the abroad but, I too was regreting to study in a college in my own country. Well, what I have done is I have left the college after one year of Post Graduate studies.

For anyone else, It depends!

It depends on how good is the system of education in your country. If you think other countries do have good education & toke admission there & later realized that you were wrong. At that time, you have two options:

1. Leave the college & ask the VC for a refund, stating a reason that you don't like the education system. Most likely he'll refund you or you have to be prepared for losing money.

2. Stay there & follow your passion secretly.

All I can suggest is to do proper research before taking admission into any college in or outside your country.

If you're thinking of studying in India (for any Bachelor or Master Course), then I suggest you to have a look at my college. i.e. G.B.Pant. University of Agriculture & Technology.

Also, I take help of a website called Fullonstudy where you can find easy to download free study material for BSc (Bachelor's in Science). i.e. https://www.fullonstudy.com/bsc-books

I hope you like everything I've shared.

Thanks!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by Seankay323: 10:58am On Dec 30, 2019
If you have the opportunity to study abroad without breaking sweat to get the funds my guy go o because what you will learn outside university alone is more than what some people that head government agencies in Nigeria cant relate to. Even mixing with people for 6 months from other countries or locals, o boy ur perspective about life will change. Although job is not guaranteed but some people underestimate learning outside class. UK is not worth going to except engineering , medicine , core IT maybe accounting even you are better off studying nursing self than accounting. UK exchange rate now is no joke o . if the university can't guarantee me internship in a company in UK , with a 2:1 . I can't go to UK. Canada is offering citizenship and cost less to school there . so for me US AND CANADA everywhere else na major risk the former are calculated risk.

5 Likes

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by LastSurvivor11: 11:00am On Dec 30, 2019
Mailthaddeus:

You sound like one Francis I know..

1 Like

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by forlexxy(m): 11:03am On Dec 30, 2019

3 Likes

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by Muyiii(m): 11:03am On Dec 30, 2019
In 2009 after my youth service, I decided to further my studies in the UK. After the completion of my masters I came back home. For months I was jobless and it was excruciatingly depressing and so I decided to head back to the UK. From the UK, I proceeded to South Africa for my PhD, today I can tell you proudly that I’m the IT Manager in well known bank in South Africa. My Masters opened doors for me from the onset I stepped into SA. So I’d advise you strongly to go for your masters in the US. You will reap the benefits sooner or later

14 Likes

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by jimmynauty: 11:03am On Dec 30, 2019
op good question hoping to learn

1 Like

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by Powersurge: 11:12am On Dec 30, 2019
ritze:

Those guys that did aren't daft. They took a risk and didn't work for them. This in the abroad is funny. As a matter of fact you can get a job and still not be happy cos adjusting to the life here no be joke.

You can put that 15m in business and still fail. Does that make you daft? Life on its own is a risk. Just be legit

I did not say anybody is daft. I said if I do, I will be daft. That been said, life na per head. They make their choices I make mine. I never said I am gonna put 15 million into business (don't assume for me). There are many ways to kill a rat without shedding blood. One thing I a sure of is that 15 million will not go down the drain in my hand. That we be my last response on that.

3 Likes

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by Chichaope: 11:13am On Dec 30, 2019
OP, to keep it short and simple, if you really face what you are going to USA to do, your life will change tremendously for good and it would have a spill over effect on your next generation.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by Powersurge: 11:14am On Dec 30, 2019
Spanishmilf:
You work in a travel agency yet you don't really follow update on countries, From next year all international graduates could qualify for a two-year period to work in the UK.

Na wetin dey vex me be this oo. People just read or listen to counter. They never read to understand. Baba just go and make your own choice. May God help you.

1 Like

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by Powersurge: 11:16am On Dec 30, 2019
zigzagluv:
you help people secure visa?

I said I worked there two years ago. I didn't say anything about still working there. Don't get scammed please.
Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by NwanyiOkpa(f): 11:21am On Dec 30, 2019
Ijebulogic:
Please which schools did Aliko Dangote, Elumelu and Chagoury do their masters before they made it in Nigeria? Bottom line ...have a Vision and build a plan around your vision...if your plan includes a master's ...so be it! Also remember that university is NOT university o! Harvard is not Minnesota Tech. If you must go abroad, try and attend the top 30 unis in the US at least .

Dangote had capital and connect.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

16-Year-Old Zambian Student Breastfeed Her Baby During Examination In School / A Maths Teacher Asked To Teach English Language.... / Meet Iya Abubakar Who Became A Professor Of Mathematics At 28

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.