Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,888 members, 7,806,575 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:28 PM

The Gallery (Mobile Photography/Art) - Phones (283) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / The Gallery (Mobile Photography/Art) (370410 Views)

HELP: The Gallery I Used For My Photos Has Been Removed From Google Play Store. / Help Please!!, I Cant Find The Gallery On My Tecno Spark 2 / How To Save Whatsapp Status To Your Gallery 2018 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (280) (281) (282) (283) (284) (285) (286) ... (350) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Gallery (Mobile Photography/Art) by horlahwaley(m): 9:08pm On May 25, 2021
Rn10 pro
Unedited.
1. Normal camera
2.Macro camera

7 Likes

Re: The Gallery (Mobile Photography/Art) by Degrezhaa: 8:24am On May 27, 2021
cool

14 Likes

Re: The Gallery (Mobile Photography/Art) by genius43(m): 8:40am On May 27, 2021
Degrezhaa:
cool

Nice one

2 Likes

Re: The Gallery (Mobile Photography/Art) by Bonebreaker(m): 4:14pm On May 27, 2021
Still learning.shot with a low end device. Edited with Snapseed

3 Likes

Re: The Gallery (Mobile Photography/Art) by emmzo(m): 4:20pm On May 27, 2021
Bonebreaker:
Still learning.shot with a low end device. Edited with Snapseed
What the phone's name
Re: The Gallery (Mobile Photography/Art) by Bonebreaker(m): 4:24pm On May 27, 2021
emmzo:

What the phone's name
Tecno spark 2
Re: The Gallery (Mobile Photography/Art) by dahgifted(m): 5:25pm On May 27, 2021
horlahwaley:
Rn10 pro
Unedited.
1. Normal camera
2.Macro camera
I taught note 10 pro camera is 108mp?
This pics isn't justifying the massive pixel quality

1 Like

Re: The Gallery (Mobile Photography/Art) by horlahwaley(m): 5:50pm On May 27, 2021
dahgifted:
Yeah, The 108mp is a gimmick, its just pixel binning. But my poor photography skill contributed to that. I retake the same pics after learning basic stuff about photography.

4 Likes

Re: The Gallery (Mobile Photography/Art) by genius43(m): 5:51pm On May 27, 2021
dahgifted:

Will the camera capabilities automatically make a photography enthusiast to an established photographer overnight? And Nairaland compression is still there.

I use the same phone you can check previous pages for photos I have taken.

Below is an unedited photo.

Modified: Nairaland Compression on the beat.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Gallery (Mobile Photography/Art) by Flowboi(m): 10:22pm On May 27, 2021
Plz how can I join the telegram group
Re: The Gallery (Mobile Photography/Art) by Ayokul(m): 1:06am On May 28, 2021
maik99:

Pyramid boy cool
Re: The Gallery (Mobile Photography/Art) by timmy1thtrh: 11:15am On May 28, 2021
Now I often take pictures in photography studios, for example in a photography studio https://www.fdphotostudio.com/studio-rent/chicago-studio-4/ because I like the quality of photographs with exposed light. Of course, this kind of shooting requires preparation and some skills of the photographer, but for me now this option is the most optimal.
Re: The Gallery (Mobile Photography/Art) by BrickDevo: 12:39pm On May 28, 2021
As an Architect, I build.
RN10 12MP Stock camera | Adobe Lightroom

3 Likes

Re: The Gallery (Mobile Photography/Art) by dcrested(m): 2:07pm On May 28, 2021
cool photos everywhere

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Gallery (Mobile Photography/Art) by atheistandproud(m): 3:52pm On May 28, 2021
Should I post our photography lectures from Telegram here?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Gallery (Mobile Photography/Art) by Flowboi(m): 4:31pm On May 28, 2021
atheistandproud:
bro share me d link to d telegram group I want join
Re: The Gallery (Mobile Photography/Art) by Flowboi(m): 4:34pm On May 28, 2021
Umidig a7pro edited with snapseed

4 Likes

Re: The Gallery (Mobile Photography/Art) by Degrezhaa: 5:27pm On May 28, 2021
atheistandproud:
Please post it here
Re: The Gallery (Mobile Photography/Art) by atheistandproud(m): 7:45pm On May 28, 2021
Flowboi:
bro share me d link to d telegram group I want join

Check page 1. First post.
Re: The Gallery (Mobile Photography/Art) by atheistandproud(m): 9:18pm On May 28, 2021
Hello,

There are going to be mobile photography classes for beginners on this channel. The classes are actually taking place on Telegram but I'll be adapting them for Nairaland and posting them here.

Below is the course outline...

1. Introduction

2. Camera hardware: parts of a camera and their functions, reading camera specifications, knowing your hardware etc.

3. Camera software: names and functions.

4. Camera features: ISO, Aperture, Exposure, Shutter speed, saturation, white balance & Focus.

5. Taking pictures: photo composition, framing, angles, correct use of light, subject-object-background etc.

6. Camera fails: edge detection, blur, over exposure, saturation etc., noise, grain, underexposure...

7. Camera modes: standard, portrait (depth), macro, telephoto, Ultrawide, pro mode, RAW mode etc.

8. Editing: Snapseed, Airbrush, Light room, colour block, blur, filters, double exposure, smoothening etc.

9. Types of photography. These include landscape photography, nature photography, portrait photography, macro photography, product photography, food photography, concept art.

So if you're interested, or you know anyone who is, invite them over.

4 Likes

Re: The Gallery (Mobile Photography/Art) by atheistandproud(m): 9:21pm On May 28, 2021
Good evening guys...

So here before us, we have unit 1 of the our mobile photography course

Introduction

Now I don't know what perceived notion you have about photography...

But...

Photography simply means taking pictures.

Not just taking pictures, but taking pictures that are aesthetically pleasing to the eyes.

This is where lots of us tend to have issues.

That is "producing fine pictures".

Different people have different ideas about how a good picture can be created. Some believe that you can only get them from a studio. Others feel that you need a professional camera or a high end flagship. A good number believe in apps like GCam Or in editing software.

These at least to me are all wrong

There's an old saying that states that, there are no bad cameras. There are only bad photographers.

So if a person doesn't understand the rules of photography, even with a professional digital camera and a studio like set up...They'll still take bad pictures.

So whatever ideas you had about photography, please toss them aside.

For starters, photography simply means capturing a moment in time. It can be a spontaneous moment or a deliberately manufactured moment.

How you capture that moment in time and how you use the tool in your hand to capture it matters.

Photography isn't just point and shoot.

There are a lot of variables to consider such as angles, lighting, your position etc.

These and many more are what we're going to be looking at...

At least in the coming weeks.

There's also going to be a fair bit of reading to be done. Oh yes. You'll have to read quite a bit. Maybe even go through some YouTube tutorials. There'll be practicals.

This is not going to be a "miracle" center unfortunately. We have a lot of them in Benin and Warri these days.

No we're starting from the ground up.

The phone in your hand is as good a camera as any out there.

What matters is how you use it.

Even my very good friend @Ayokunle13 used to shoot very good pictures with an Itel phone. Some of which are on my Facebook page.

The difference between the more expensive cameras and the less expensive ones are hardware and software.

If you noticed, I used the term "expensive".

Now ordinarily, you cannot expect a Nafeng motorcycle to handle like Ducati powerbike.

Whatever your reasons for attending this class, a passion for photography should be cultivated.

If you don't create a desire and a passion for this then in two weeks time, you'll get bored.

This is the truth.

We're not going to start with pictures right away..

We're going to start with mental work and reading

There'll be no magic tricks

It's going to be from the ground up.

1 Like

Re: The Gallery (Mobile Photography/Art) by atheistandproud(m): 9:26pm On May 28, 2021
Introduction to mobile photography

Unit 2: Camera hardware https://inquisitiveuniverse.com/2020/07/08/lets-talk-cameras/

This evening we're going to look at camera hardware.

The things that make up a camera and their functions.

I'm going to try not to do too much at once so that we can assimilate more and more.

Now when you look at the top of your phone or flip it around, we can see a single (or dual) dark circle at the top and several dark circles at the back.

These are cameras.

Their job is to take pictures and this course is designed to help you make the most out of it.

But just you don't just get into a car and learn to drive it like that. No. You have to learn about the parts of the car and what they do.

Imagine a driver who does not know what a steering wheel is, where the brake pad is located, what a throttle is and what an accelerator does, or how to use a handbrake...

So when you want to understand your camera, you need to under the components.

So this is how a camera looks like when removed from the phone.

When you open it up, here's what you'll find inside.

So the parts of a camera are

1. Aperture
2. Lens or Lenses
3. Image sensor.

Let's start with number one

Aperture

An aperture can be defined as a hole through which light enters the camera.

If you can note this down somewhere, then kindly do so.

The hole through which light passes into the camera is called an APERTURE.

Let's move on to number two

Lens

This is a piece of transparent plastic or glass that can be found behind the Aperture.

It's job is to catch the light that enters through the Aperture and focus it on the image sensor.

Cameras can have one or more lenses.

The function of an aperture is to allow light to enter the camera.

Light is very important to photography. Infact it is the most important part of photography.

No light means no photo. If you doubt me, drop all the curtains in your house, turn off the TV and the lights and take a picture.

Smartphone cameras are very small especially when compared to professional cameras.

This means that the aperture of professional DSLR cameras are going to be much bigger than the aperture of a smartphone.

This is why DSLR camera tends to perform better on average, than Smartphone cameras. Especially in dark environments.

The sizes of apertures on Smartphones can be rated using f stop numbers.

F stop numbers are inverse in nature.

This means that the bigger the size, the smaller than number.

In real life translation, an aperture of F/16 which has the bigger number is actually very tiny.

While an aperture of F/2.8 is actually very big, despite having the smaller number.

Aperture size affects a photographic phenomenon known as depth of field.

What is depth of field?

Depth of field is simply the area in a photo that stays sharp while the other parts blur out. Simply put, when you take a picture, sometimes, the centre stays sharp and edges are blurred. The area that stays sharp is called the depth of field.

The area of the photo that stays sharp is known as depth of field.

This phenomenon is used in taking portrait pictures where the individual stays sharp but that background is blurry.

Big Apertures can only give you a small depth of field or sharp area in a photo. This means one part of the photo will be very sharp and the other parts will fade out.

Small Apertures are the opposite. They can capture the entire photo and keep every part of it sharp. So therefore, smaller Apertures have a larger depth of field.

If you look closely at this camera set up here on the RN9S, you'll notice that...

The Aperture on number one is actually very big compared to all of the other three (2, 3 and 4).

The two cameras at the bottom are the depth sensor and macro camera.

They have very tiny Apertures and so can handle depth of field better.

The next thing we're going to look at are the lenses.

The lens can either be a pieces of transparent plastic or glass. It's job is to collect the light that passes through the Aperture and focus it on the image sensor.

The physical property of a lens, especially it's size (how thick or flat it is) determines its photographic qualities.

The size of a lens is measured in millimeters.

This size is also known as it's focal length

Thick lenses can capture objects that are very far away.

Hence they're used for telephoto or zoom lenses.

Thin lenses can capture objects that are near by and in addition they can capture a wider area.

Hence thin lenses are used for standard lenses, Ultrawide lenses, macro etc.

Thick lenses have small field of view but can snap objects that are very far away.

Thin lenses have a wider field of view but can only capture nearby objects.

1 Like

Re: The Gallery (Mobile Photography/Art) by atheistandproud(m): 10:50pm On May 28, 2021
Lecture 2: Camera hardware continued...

Camera hardware continued is about to start

So we looked at parts of a camera in our last talk.

We said that a camera is made up an aperture, lens and image sensor.

We have examined what an aperture and lenses are in our last meeting. Please checked the pinned message.

This meeting is also very important as we're going to be looking at image sensors in depth.

An image sensor is an electronic plate at the back of a camera that helps to catch light.

Any time you want to take a picture, light from the sun or a light has to hit the thing you want to snap and then enter into your camera.

It is the light that bounces off the object you want to snap that the image sensor will catch.

This is why without light, there can be no photography.

The image sensor is made of small small photo sites known as pixels.

It is these pixels on the sensor that catch light.

There are two major types of image sensors but the one that is more popularly used today is the CMOS sensor.

You can check the specs of any phones or professional camera. Even Brother @maclawrence new camera has a CMOS image sensor inside.

CMOS is quite cheap and doesn't use a lot of battery power. It can also be manufactured in very small sizes. This has made it very popular amongst Smartphone manufacturers.

The image sensor is the most important part of a camera. This is because it catches and processes the main ingredient needed for a photo which is light.

If a sensor is bad, it won't catch light well. If it doesn't catch light well then the picture will look bad.

If a sensor is good, it'll catch light very well and produce very good pictures.

There are two major specs on an image sensor

1. Sensor size

2. Pixel size

Sensor size is very important because bigger sensors catch more light and produce brighter and sharper pictures.

Small sensors catch less light and produce duller pictures.

You can see that the main camera with a bigger sensor (1) will give out brighter and better pictures than the smaller macro camera (4).

Smartphones cameras are very tiny, and this is where professional cameras have the advantage

In the picture above, you can see that even when a DSLR camera and a Smartphone camera have the same resolution, the sizes are very very different.

An 18mp DSLR would routinely outperform a 48mp camera because of this disadvantage.

The size of image sensors in smartphones are very small. They are so small that they are measured in fractions of an inch.

The usual size is around 1/2.55 inches (written as 1/2.55”) although some could be as large as 1/1.7” and others as small as 1/5’.

The biggest sensor around now the Samsung GN2 50MP camera. It has a size of 1/1.12".

It took over from the the one on the Huawei P40 series main camera measured at 1/1.28”.

These numbers seem confusing right? Sure it does.

A simple way to understand them is to simply get a calculator and divide the fractions.

A 1/3.33” sensor equals 0.3003” while the Huawei P40 sensor of 1/1.28” equals 0.7”. 0.7 is bigger than 0.3 right? Its that easy.

So between a 1/2.5” sensor and a 1/1.7” sensor, which one is bigger?
1 divided by 2.5 = 0.4
1 divided by 1.7 = 0.588
So as 0.588 is bigger than 0.4, the sensor size of 1/1.7” is bigger than that of 2.5”.

The reasons why you need to look at Smartphone sensor sizes is because the size of the sensor determines the type of pixels that are going to be in it.

Smaller sensors mean smaller pixels and average to poor pictures. Bigger sensors mean more pixels and better pictures.

A pixel is the smallest unit of a digital image. Pixels are the tiny dots that make up a digital image.

This means that when you divide a picture to it’s smallest parts or when you zoom in to it’s extreme point, what you are going to see are the pixels that make up that image.

Pixels are what help the image sensor to capture light.

The bigger the pixel, the more light it can catch.

So to get bigger pixels, we need bigger sensors.

The sizes of pixels in a sensor are measured in micrometers (µm). Bigger pixel sizes capture more light and perform better at night than smaller pixel sizes.

The average sizes of pixels used on Smartphones cameras today is 0.8µm.

The biggest one used on a smartphone camera today is 1.4µm. It can be found on the Samsung GN2 used on the Xiaomi MI 11 Ultra.

As shown in this image below, there are very very many pixels in the image sensor.

So how do we count them?

Simple.

1000 pixels = 1 megapixel.
10,000 pixels = 10 megapixels
12,000 pixels = 20 megapixels
48,000 pixels = 40 megapixels
64,000 pixels = 64 megapixels
108,000 pixels = 108 megapixels

The addition of more pixels goes a long way to increase resolution and retaining details of a photo when zoomed in.

A lot of people use megapixel count to describe the ability of a camera to perform.

To a large extent this is true, but do not be deceived by numbers. These numbers are only marketing tools.

Just because you see two cameras with 48mp do not mean that they are of the same ability.

The one with the bigger sensor and/or bigger pixels will always perform better.

This is why you see some companies will release a 48mp camera that takes photos that look like something an 8mp camera took.

Big megapixel counts do not mean quality.

If you put the 48mp camera of say that Infinix S5 against the 12mp of a Google Pixel 3, you'll see that the Google 12mp will completely destroy the 48mp on the S5.

The 50mp cameras on both the Huawei P40 pro and the Xiaomi MI 11 Ultra will wipe the floor with the 108mp used on the Mi Note 10.

So don't let big camera counts fool you and determine what your expectations of a camera should be like.

Big numbers do not always mean better pictures.

What guarantees good pictures are:

1. An image sensor larger than 1/2.0

2. Pixel sizes larger than 1.0um, either native or binned.

3. A wide Aperture of at least f/1.8

This is where a lot of megapixels help

Even with these specs, a good knowledge of how to handle cameras is still very essential.

I've already covered quite a bit today.

To summarize...

The image sensor is the third part of the camera.

It is also the most important part. It helps to catch light. It is the light that will later become a picture.

The better the image sensor, the better the pictures captured.

The ability of image sensors are not judged on the number of pixels it carries but on its size and the sizes of it's pixels.

Please feel free to ask questions or make contributions.

3 Likes

Re: The Gallery (Mobile Photography/Art) by atheistandproud(m): 11:44pm On May 28, 2021
Lecture 3

Camera hardware - How your camera works

This would be a short one...

Let's put all we've learned from Tuesday and Thursday together.

We talked about Aperture, Lens and Image sensor.

When you want to take a picture, there has to be light of some sort.

It could either be natural (sunlight, moonlight, starlight) or artificial (flash, lamp, bulb etc.)

So when you take a picture, light from the source has to hit the object and then bounce into your camera

So the light passes through the Aperture and hits the lens. The lens gathers the light rays and focuses them on the image sensor

The bigger the Aperture, the more light enters the camera.

The smaller the Aperture, the smaller the light that enters the camera

This is why you hold you different phones and try to take pictures, sometimes, 1 appears brighter than the other.

Then lenses also matter...

The length of the lenses determine the type of photo that you can take

The thicker and longer lenses are used for distance shots and can only capture a small area

The standard ones are for midrange shots and can capture a wider area.

The thin ones are called Ultrawide and can capture even wider areas but can cannot capture objects that are very far away.

It is the lens in front of a camera that gives it its name.

If you put an Ultrawide lens in front of a Samsung GN2 image sensor, it becomes an Ultrawide camera.

If you take the same Samsung GN2 sensor and put a telephoto lens in front of it, it becomes a telephoto camera.

Lastly we have image sensors.

Their job is to catch light and convert it into electrical signals. The major job of a lens is the conversion of light energy from the outside into electrical energy.

Light sensors determine the sharpness and detail of a photo

It also determines the resolution of a photo as well.

So when you take photos, light passes through the Aperture and hits the lens. The lens gathers the light and focuses it on the image sensor.

The pixels on the image sensor catches this light and converts it to electrical energy.

This electrical energy is then sent to a part of the SoC known as the Image Signal Processor (ISP).

3 Likes

Re: The Gallery (Mobile Photography/Art) by atheistandproud(m): 11:45pm On May 28, 2021
If you have been following their last 3 lectures on mobile photography.

Please answer the following questions.

If I get 10 people to answer, then we'll move to the next stage.

You can choose to type it here or write it on a piece of paper any upload in the comments.

Questions for the week?

1. What is a camera?

2. List the parts of a camera.

3a. What is an Aperture?
3b. What does it look like?
3c. Where can it be found?
3d. What is it's function?

4a. What are lenses?
4b. What is the function of a lens?
4c. List out at least three types of lenses you know.

5a. What is an image sensor?
5b. What specs are important when checking for a sensor's quality?

6. Explain in a step by step order, how a camera works in your own words.
Re: The Gallery (Mobile Photography/Art) by BenDanor(m): 7:33am On May 29, 2021
atheistandproud:
If you have been following their last 3 lectures on mobile photography.

Please answer the following questions.

If I get 10 people to answer, then we'll move to the next stage.

You can choose to type it here or write it on a piece of paper any upload in the comments.

Questions for the week?

1. What is a camera?

2. List the parts of a camera.

3a. What is an Aperture?
3b. What does it look like?
3c. Where can it be found?
3d. What is it's function?

4a. What are lenses?
4b. What is the function of a lens?
4c. List out at least three types of lenses you know.

5a. What is an image sensor?
5b. What specs are important when checking for a sensor's quality?

6. Explain in a step by step order, how a camera works in your own words.

Wow bro, you're really doing good taking your time teaching mobile photography
Re: The Gallery (Mobile Photography/Art) by MrBONE2(m): 9:33am On May 29, 2021
BenDanor:

Wow bro, you're really doing good taking your time teaching mobile photography

Thanks for sharing Bwana
Re: The Gallery (Mobile Photography/Art) by atheistandproud(m): 12:02pm On May 29, 2021
MrBONE2:

Thanks for sharing Bwana

You're welcome
Re: The Gallery (Mobile Photography/Art) by atheistandproud(m): 2:38pm On May 29, 2021
Inquisitive Universe:
Those who are old enough will remember that if you wanted to take a picture at least 20 years ago...

You needed a photographer with an SLR camera

SLR meaning Single Lens Reflex camera.

These cameras are like modern day digital cameras but they were analog and used films

These cameras took negatives that needed to be developed in a dark room.

Sometimes you had to wait for two weeks before seeing your picture.

If the camera man says "say cheese" and you blink.

There's no correction or editing.

If you're black like back of pot, your face will show on the photo like that. If you're a yellow pawpaw with pimples, they'll show there too.

In the old King James version, as thou preparest to take thy photo, so shalt thou accept it.

Just because these photos were taken with analog cameras doesn't mean that they were bad.

They actually looked okay for the time.

As your face looks, so sha it be.

Ọmọ it wasn't easy that year. The eagerness to see pictures you took... Only to wait for a week or two to find out you were blurred out because you moved just before the shot...��� (Credit: Elvismccoy)

Fast forward 20 years and now we have small devices in our hands that can not only take amazing photos but can also edit them on the go.

Now phones have not always taken good pictures.

For those of us who remember. Phones took horrible photos ���.

Photos taken by phones were so bad that it has now been burnt into the minds of many adults that a phone cannot take a decent photo.

So what changed?

ISP joined the chat

When you take a picture with your Smartphone, there's a special CPU that the image goes to first for processing.

This CPU is known as an Image Signal Processor.

Whenever you take a picture, light reflected from the thing you just snapped enters your camera.

It travels from aperture to lens to image sensor. Image sensor converts the light to electrical energy.

The electrical energy become data and is sent to the ISP.

The ISP processes this data and spits out your photo to your screen.

All of this happens in less than 10 seconds.

Whilst the type of image sensors, aperture and lens determines photo quality to a great extent, the ISP is the salt lthat make a picture taste nice.

If a company decides to use a good camera (Aperture, lens, image sensor) in combination with a bad ISP.

All the great pictures captured by the camera will be ruined.

Bad ISP = Bad pictures

So it's not enough to see some companies post 48mp clear selfie!!!

The ISP under the hood of the phone that processes these photos should be of great importance to you as the consumer.

If for example you presented me a 16mp phone with an SD845, and a 48mp phone with a Helio G70, I will pick that 16mp camera 200 times over.

This is because without an ISP, a smartphone's camera is actually handicapped when compared to DSLR or digital cameras.

What are the major functions of an ISP?

1. Demosaicing.

This is the process of converting the electrical energy received from the sensor into a picture (data). This picture is called a RAW image.

2. Post processing and image compression

This is the process of fine tuning an image, and compressing it to a smaller jpeg file so that it is easier to store.

The ISP fine tunes a photo by carrying out the following...

i. Denoising (noise reduction)
ii. Auto white balance and color correction
iii. Lens shading (improves brightness and color non-uniformity)
iv. Pixel correction (corrects defective pixel output)
v. Tone mapping (for increased contrast) and HDR
vi. Focus correction and image sharpening
vii. Auto exposure adjustment

So let's round up by looking at the types of ISP on the market.

If you use Huawei phone... especially one of the flagships. There's a good chance that you're using a Kirin ISP.

Kirin ISPs are very good.

They've made Huawei a photography giant.

You've got to love Huawei phones. But not all Huawei phones, especially those ones with Mediatek SoCs use the Kirin ISP so take note.

If you use a Samsung phone, especially the flagship S & Note series or generally the ones with an Exynos SoC, then there should be an Exynos dual ISP on board.

A MediaTek phone is definitely going to have the Mediatek Imagiq ISP on board.

In truth, Mediatek is not and has never been a camera power house. So it's mostly going to be average performances that one should expect.

Google are world famous because of their camera software known as GCam computational photography.

But few people know that Google also have an impressive ISP to back up that software on their Pixel phones.

Google initially used Qualcomm’s ISP for their phones but with the release of Pixel 2, Google designed their own ISP called the Pixel Visual core as the main ISP for their devices.

But just before the release of the Pixel 4, Google decided to add an AI machine learning unit into the ISP. This was to improve the performance of the ISP and allow it to independently process photos based on how it was taken.

This new ISP + AI combo is called the Pixel Neural Core and it is one of the best in the world, if not the best

You can only find the Pixel ISP on Google Pixel phones.

Pixel 1 uses a Qualcomm ISP

Pixel 2 and 3 uses the Pixel Visual Core

Pixel 4 and 5 should use the Pixel Neural core

Everyone seems to have forgotten about Sony phones but Sony phones are still camera heavyweights in their own right.

Sony phones use the Sony Bionz X ISP.

BIONZ X for mobile is an image-processing engine based on Sony’s digital imaging technologies used in Alpha and Cyber-shot cameras. BIONZ X includes RAW noise reduction, a technology which offers a better than ever low light shooting performance.

Xiaomi phones all use Qualcomm Snapdragon ISP but...

They have also released an ISP too. It is known as the Surge C1. You can find it only on the Mi Mix Fold.

Apple phones use the Apple ISP.

They're very secretive about their ISP so not much is known about it.

Saving the best for last, we have Qualcomm.

If you use a Snapdragon phone, then you're definitely using a Qualcomm ISP.

The name of Qualcomm's ISP is known as Spectra.

To boost its performance, an extra module for AI and machine learning called Hexagon DSP is added as well making them very capable, fast and able to handle cameras of very high resolutions.

Many Qualcomm ISPs are capable of handling up to 200MP resolution cameras without breaking a sweat.

In conclusion...

The grade of the SoC used (i.e. Flagship, mid-range or budget etc.) dictates the level of the ISP that comes with it and that translates into the resolution of camera that it can support.

A low end SoC can only support poor resolution camera sensors because it may lack the processing power needed to handle high resolution photos.

A high end processor should come with an excellent ISP and should have zero problems processing neat photos.

So low end SoC = weak ISP = low resolution cameras = average or poor photos. Mid-range SoCs should equal = decent ISP = decent resolution cameras = good photos. Flagship SoCs…na them be baba.
Re: The Gallery (Mobile Photography/Art) by atheistandproud(m): 3:04pm On May 29, 2021
Lecture 4

How to read camera hardware

Now we're starting to enter the advanced parts of this course and leaving the intro.

So lots of people have always wondered about how to know if a camera is good without testing it.

There are three key factors to look at when trying to evaluate camera performance

1. The camera itself

2. The image processing unit

3. The software used

There's a lecture on Image Processing Unit or Image Signal Processor which I'll paste on the group tomorrow.

The software used on the image taken by the camera is also another ish that you should know about...

Especially how Apple and Samsung pics look blue or how Tecno and Infinix pics look reddish brown and oversaturated.

This one, you should read by yourself.

For this class, we're going to be looking at the camera itself.

The camera specs you see on phones today are

1. The resolution in megapixels

2. Aperture size

3. Pixel size

4. Sensor size

5. Lens type/field of view

1. Resolution

The resolution of a picture determines how sharp and clear an image will look and how much detail it will keep when you zoom in

On cameras these days, you'll see 8mp, 12mp, 13mp, 16mp, 21mp, 24mp, 32mp, 48mp, 50mp, 64mp and 108mp

The higher the resolution, the sharper or clearer the image and the more details the picture will keep when you zoom in.

But resolution is only one part of the story.

2. Aperture size

This refers to the size of the camera hole. The bigger the better. Aperture sizes of f/2.0, f/1.9, f/1.8 etc are considered big for phones

Aperture sizes of f/2.2, f/2.3, f/2.4 etc are considered rather small.

So even if you have a 108mp camera under a f/2.4 aperture, your pics will be dark and underexposed.

3. Pixel sizes

These ones are measured in micro meters (um). The standard size is 0.8um which is very small.

Pixel sizes can either be native or binned.

Binned pixels means that several small pixels are combined together so that they'll act like one big pixel.

Native pixels are not binned. They are produced to be big and and do not need to be combined.

Bigger pixels are more important than resolution.

4. Sensor size

This refers to the size of the image sensor used in the camera.

The bigger the better.

Sensors are usually measured in the fractions of an inch.

Sensors of 1", 1/0.1" to 1/2.5" are considered big.

Sensors of 1/3.0" to 1/5.0" are considered very very small.

Bigger sensors can hold bigger pixels and thus give out better pictures.

5. The lens type

The most prominent sensors used on Smartphones are main-wide, Ultrawide, macro, depth, telephoto zoom, telephoto macro, time of flight etc.

The field of view is how wide that an angle the camera can take

So I'm going to get the screen shots of three phones and analyse them.

This stuff is new for a lot of us, but take your time and digest it

Before then, lemme open the floor.

Any questions?

Grey areas

Contributions?

Feel free

https://inquisitiveuniverse.com/2020/07/12/how-to-read-smartphone-camera-specifications/

1 Like

Re: The Gallery (Mobile Photography/Art) by atheistandproud(m): 3:17pm On May 29, 2021
Here we have the specs for the Umidigi A7s

There's three cameras on the phone

1. Main camera
2. Ultrawide angle
3. Depth sensor

The main camera takes most of the pictures. The other two are supporting cameras.

The company didn't really give us enough details to work with here

Resolution is 13mp which is not much especially if you zoom in.

The aperture is quite big at f/1.8 so pictures should look bright enough

The company has withheld the other specs which should indicate that they are very very poor

The name of the sensor is also unknown. This means that it is generic. It could have been made by secondary school students in china for all we know.

The wide angle lens is 8mp but the Aperture is f/2.2 which is very tiny and the pictures aren't going to be very bright.

The last camera is a depth sensor

Depth sensor are used to take blurry photos of the background while the main camera takes a pic of the subject.

The ISP then merges both pictures together and you get the portrait or bokeh effect

So the cameras used on the Umidigi A7s are generic and are quite poor.

They won't take very sharp pictures I'm afraid unless you have the skill to utilize light properly.

Re: The Gallery (Mobile Photography/Art) by atheistandproud(m): 3:19pm On May 29, 2021
Redmi 9c and 9a camera analysis

The Redmi 9c is a budget offering with a triple camera set up.

It has:
1. Main sensor
2. Depth
3. Macro

All the cameras on this phone are generic. It means that they're unbranded

The main camera has a resolution of 13mp. It's a CMOS sensor with a rather small aperture of F/2.2. Xiaomi did not give us the other specs.

The portrait camera is also generic with a resolution of 2mp and an aperture of F/2.4 (tiny).

The third Camera is a macro lens with a 2mp resolution and an Aperture size of f/2.4.

GSM arena seems to offer a bit more information.

Especially about the main camera

The main camera has big 1.0um sized pixels

And the lens is 28mm

So you get wide enough shots

The camera with those 1.0um pixels should get you decent photos if you keep your head still while taking pictures and use light correctly

Someone asked for the Redmi 9a yesterday

The Redmi 9a is an entry level phone and it only has one camera. A main camera.

The Redmi 9a with it's one camera is not very flexible. You only get to take standard pictures and that's it.

The Redmi 9c offers more flexibility with photo options.

From what I've seen so far...

The Redmi 9a and 9c use the same main camera.

The resolution of the 9a is 13mp, with a f/2.2 aperture, 28mm lens, a 1.0um size pixels and has PDAF (phase detection auto focus).

These specs are the same as the ones you find on the 9c main camera as well.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (280) (281) (282) (283) (284) (285) (286) ... (350) (Reply)

FIFA 14 For Android... / Some Useful Nokia Codes & How To Format/Reset Ur Phone / How To Activate 2go Gateway And Chat With Facebook Friends On 2go

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 152
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.