Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,893 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:10 AM

Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? (25854 Views)

London Court Jails Nigerian Three Years For Flogging Son / Ogidi Youths Flog Man After He Was Filmed Flogging, Boxing, And Kicking His Mom / Adekunle Okunuga Suspended As A Doctor In 2015 For Flogging Son In UK Reinstated (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by socialmediaman: 4:50pm On Dec 30, 2019
Many parents believe the 'good old way' of flogging and inflicting pain and fear on kids and nannies is still the best way of achieving discipline in them, while other parents have moved on to other 'effective' means, claiming the 'good old ways' are either no longer effective or never were and should have not been used by our parents in the first place.

My questions to guide this conversation are:

1. Do you consider flogging an effective way of achieving discipline on a child? Why?

2. Do you consider flogging an effective way of achieving discipline on a nanny? Why?

3. What other method(s) do you consider effective for achieving discipline on a child or nanny? Why?

It's okay to focus your response on a child or nanny or both.

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by vickydankal(f): 4:57pm On Dec 30, 2019
If what you want to instil or inculcate in a child is discipline then for an African child flogging will be needed.

Unfortunately, we use flogging to vent anger in the place discipline.

Depending on the offence
I used to ground my children in the room
No toys
No cartoon (they will almost faint on this, especially when Tom and Jerry is one)
Flogging
No juice
Shouting
Pick pin
Kneeling
Verbal Apology etc
General beating (throwing of mop, spoon, slippers, etc)

71 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Wiseandtrue(f): 4:58pm On Dec 30, 2019
Cane is necessary in instilling discipline or shaping a child's life.

If you go to some schools where they don't use it, you will notice that the children behaves like spoilt brats

That's why many of these foreigners misbehaves disobeys and could even stand up to their parents

However, Children differ from one another!

While some needs heavy cane (not advisable this days) to sit up, another needs mild one to adjust while others will wee on their body at the sight of a cane!

Some needs to be reprimanded while others needs advise and they will do their best to avoid being cane. Punishment such as frog jump, kneeling, stool down e.t.c can come in handy where a child is used to a cane

Cane is necessary most times but must be used sensibly! If you're hot tempered, stay away from cane as much as possible.

What's important is to know which to apply and when to stop

Don't forget that the aim is to correct the child! No matter how much you are provoked, take a walk, sing rather than beat a child in anger

93 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by MrBrownJay1(m): 5:00pm On Dec 30, 2019
1st and foremost you should NEVER lay hand on an adult person doing their job....EVER! if you are not happy with the nanny then fire her and get another one that fits your criteria. if you employ children as nanny, then blame yourself for expecting a child to do an adult job.

2nd.. corporal punishment is necessary to a certain extent. there is a huge difference between "discipline a child" and ABUSE/TORTURE. if your child does NOT respond to corporal punishments then find other means to educate that demon child. beating that child harder is not gonna work here. take away privileges, no phones/pad, no TV, no game console, no outing, no friends over, no social media etc. we are in a different time and what worked 30yrs ago is outdated and parents need to adapt to the era we live in.

today a child will be more hurt by not having their phones than corporal punishment

60 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Simplyleo: 5:04pm On Dec 30, 2019
Though I don't know a better alternative, I won't accept flogging of my child in school.

Education professionals should come up with a better alternative. undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by TechTanic(m): 5:06pm On Dec 30, 2019
Spanking

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by GraGra247(m): 5:11pm On Dec 30, 2019
I DON'T SUPPORT FLOGGING CHILDREN OR ANYONE AT ALL.

IT SHOULD BE COMPLETELY ABOLISHED.

AFRICAN PARENTS EXTREMELY ABUSE IT A LOT.

THERE ARE MANY OTHER PROPER WAYS TO DISCIPLINE A CHILD WITHOUT FLOGGING.

44 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by twhy111(m): 5:17pm On Dec 30, 2019
I can't swear that I'm not going to flog my child in the future, but definitely not to the point of inflicting injuries on he/she.

But I'm quick to dash out slap ooo!
My siblings can relate

5 Likes

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by 247days: 5:18pm On Dec 30, 2019
[s]
Simplyleo:
Though I don't know a better alternative, I won't accept flogging of my child in school.

[/s]

16 Likes

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Niaja4real(m): 5:35pm On Dec 30, 2019
socialmediaman:
Many parents believe the 'good old way' of flogging and inflicting pain and fear on kids and nannies is still the best way of achieving discipline in them, while other parents have moved on to other 'effective' means, claiming the 'good old ways' are either no longer effective or never were and should have not been used by our parents in the first place.

My questions to guide this conversation are:

1. Do you consider flogging an effective way of achieving discipline on a child? Why?

2. Do you consider flogging an effective way of achieving discipline on a nanny? Why?

3. What other method(s) do you consider effective for achieving discipline on a child or nanny? Why?

It's okay to focus your response on a child or nanny or both.

You can never be wiser than God... Spare the rod and spoil the child. Proverbs. 23 vs 13 & 14.

51 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by spy24(m): 5:48pm On Dec 30, 2019
Cane ur children don't flog them they will change

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by socialmediaman: 6:26pm On Dec 30, 2019
Niaja4real:

You can never be wiser than God... Spare the rod and spoil the child. Proverbs. 23 vs 13 & 14.

A proverb you probably misunderstood? In those days, the rod was used for guiding sheep in the right direction, not flogging them. It literally means “if you do not guide the child, you spoil the child. Sometimes you need history lessons to understand the context of the Bible.

100 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by helinues: 6:27pm On Dec 30, 2019
Flogging in 2020?

Granded
Denying access to toys and gadgets
Giving extra tasks based on school subjects

2 Likes

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by socialmediaman: 6:36pm On Dec 30, 2019
twhy111:
I can't swear that I'm not going to flog my child in the future, but definitely not to the point of inflicting injuries on he/she.

But I'm quick to dash out slap ooo!
My siblings can relate

What about the adverse effects of violence and intimidation on kids? What do you say to those who think flogging is crude and should be outlawed in Nigeria? Do you think kids of parents abroad who were never flogged turn out bad?
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by socialmediaman: 6:37pm On Dec 30, 2019
GraGra247:
I DON'T SUPPORT FLOGGING CHILDREN OR ANYONE AT ALL.

IT SHOULD BE COMPLETELY ABOLISHED.

AFRICAN PARENTS EXTREMELY ABUSE IT A LOT.

THERE ARE MANY OTHER PROPER WAYS TO DISCIPLINE A CHILD WITHOUT FLOGGING.

True! Many people think it should be outlawed

2 Likes

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by tunjiajayi: 6:55pm On Dec 30, 2019
It worked for me, working for my children.
So Id recommend it.
My first born took to sucking his lip in sleep at about age 6.
Imagine that.
What I did?
I usually get home at about 10 pm work days then he d be at sleep sucking away until I started waking him up, showing him a photo of him sucking while sleeping, then spank him, then a cold shower, yes!

That stopped it alright in 5 tries.

Never beat your child when angry that's a no no
Make the spanking non sentimental.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by FactBoyz: 8:07pm On Dec 30, 2019
sad
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:07pm On Dec 30, 2019
Flogging is so old school.

Good communication with your kids is the KEY.

And for the extra stubborn kids (we have them also) make sure they know the offense they have commited and give them one two 'phiam phiam' on the buttocks....never more than 3!!

We haven't and won't do that to our Jewels anyways

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Nobody: 8:07pm On Dec 30, 2019
This might sound old school, but those countries where they refuse to discipline their children are the same countries with high rate of homosexuality and lack of respect for their parents...

If you like don't beat your children when they are wrong. For me I'm following what the bible teaches about discipline; spare the rod, spoil the child.

19 Likes

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by dfrost: 8:07pm On Dec 30, 2019
Both ways.

Depending on the issue at hand.

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Emu4life(m): 8:07pm On Dec 30, 2019
For Nigerian children ba? Yes.

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:08pm On Dec 30, 2019
tunjiajayi:
It worked for me, working for my children.
So Id recommend it.
My first born took to sucking his lip in sleep at about age 6.
Imagine that.
What I did?
I usually get home at about 10 pm work days then he d be at sleep sucking away until I started waking him up, showing him a photo of him sucking while sleeping, then spank him, then a cold shower, yes!

That stopped it alright in 5 tries.

Never beat your child when angry that's a no no
Make the spanking non sentimental.
Non sentimental spanking?!

Wetin we no go see for our Africa?!

Weldone Daddy Yo!

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by xpmode(m): 8:08pm On Dec 30, 2019
As long as i was raised with flogging, i will do same.

I spank a child to show him, there is consequences for doing something bad. But at first I start with warning directions and corrections, if that fails to bring the child to soberness, then follow disciplinary action.

I don't want to raise a child that will give me headaches tomorrow, especially in this generation that morality has been thrown under bus

31 Likes

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by punisha: 8:08pm On Dec 30, 2019
Flog, flog and keep flogging....the fear of flogging is the beginning of wisdom. If u think we'd tell u otherwise, pls kindly relocate to the US. It isn't just a part of our tradition it is an embraced lifestyle that guarantees effective reasoning and balanced thinking.

Go and check we may be fantastically corrupt but r still morally balanced than most developed countries. Our kids don't call us by our first names. Nor tell us fuu.uck u dad! China, Japan, South Korea still practise d act of flogging... Yes flog but not to inflict injuries but impact wisdom.

Flog on!

39 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Chibuzoc(m): 8:08pm On Dec 30, 2019
No
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by bikerboy1(m): 8:08pm On Dec 30, 2019
cheesy
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Nobody: 8:09pm On Dec 30, 2019
Flogging might not work in this dispensation. Those parents shld choose better method or else . You will lose the child to the world.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by faithfull18(f): 8:10pm On Dec 30, 2019
Using the rod of correction where necessary, yes , just ensure the child knows his or her offence.

It can be used as a last resort after several warnings.

5 Likes

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by creatorsverse(m): 8:10pm On Dec 30, 2019
Children from 3-13 years deserve cane every once in a while bt 13 yrs above don't need cane... As for nanny well it all depends on offence

2 Likes

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Abcdefghij10000(f): 8:10pm On Dec 30, 2019
Simplyleo:

You know you just contradicted yourself honey and that's plain stupid, I stay in Helsinki and that doesn't stop me from flogging my kid

9 Likes

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Kizzygentle: 8:10pm On Dec 30, 2019
Never!!!.
I repeat never!!!

The best form of discipline is by verbal communication.
If d child does something bad call him/her and sit him/her down and softly tell d child that what he/she did is very wrong and can cause damage.
U could use a statement that sounds scary to scare d child. And then u pet d child after d correction. Trust me it works better than flogging.
But such method is often used by d rich only unfortunately.

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Equity15(m): 8:10pm On Dec 30, 2019
yes I believe flogging is a very effective way of discipline. it was so during the days of our fathers and mothers and they grew up to behave well. but this sets of kids will be very spoilt cos of lack of discipline

12 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Eniola ‘Mae’ Adeniji: "My Devastating Marriage Experience" / Updated: My Pre-wedding Photos Before Editing / Why Are Mothers So Loved By Their Children Than Their Fathers?

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.