Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,568 members, 7,809,069 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:17 PM

The Issue Of First Fruit - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Issue Of First Fruit (980 Views)

First Fruit Is A Scam, Be Wiser In 2019 / Bishop Mike Okonkwo's Confession About First Fruit And Tithe (Video) / Daddy Freeze On First Fruit: Giving Your January Salary To Pastor Is Foolishness (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Issue Of First Fruit by justwise(m): 11:03pm On Dec 30, 2019
I genuinely want to know more about this issue of first fruit as regards to giving your Jan salary to church.

Is this specifically mentioned in the bible? I know that the bible talked about first fruit offering in old and new testaments but so far i'm yet to read where money was mentioned.

Anybody with a pointer?

Thank you.
Re: The Issue Of First Fruit by StrikeBack(m): 11:07pm On Dec 30, 2019
I also await more on this issue before I make my conclusions...
Re: The Issue Of First Fruit by healthserve(m): 11:10pm On Dec 30, 2019
justwise:
I genuinely want to know more about this issue of first fruit as regards to giving your Jan salary to church.

Is this specifically mentioned in the bible? I know that the bible talked about first fruit offering in old and new testaments but so far i'm yet to read where money was mentioned.

Anybody with a pointer?

Thank you.

After you banned me for thirteen millennium because of your money insecurities. Tell me why do you get tensed/charged when you hear money?

1 Like

Re: The Issue Of First Fruit by thorpido(m): 11:41pm On Dec 30, 2019
justwise:

Is this specifically mentioned in the biblel? I know that the bible talked about first fruit offering in old and new testaments but so far i'm yet to read where money was mentioned.

Anybody with a pointer?

Thank you.
@bolded,in the old testaments,they were mainly farmers and usually brought the best of their harvests.
In this generation,'professions' have simply been monitized and that is why most bring their first salary.

I personally do not believe it is a law and compulsory but if your faith agrees with it,you can do it.
Re: The Issue Of First Fruit by justwise(m): 7:44pm On Dec 31, 2019
thorpido:
@bolded,in the old testaments,they were mainly farmers and usually brought the best of their harvests.
In this generation,'professions' have simply been monitized and that is why most bring their first salary.

I personally do not believe it is a law and compulsory but if your faith agrees with it,you can do it.

That is my view as well but recently i was invited to a church where the pastor was going high on it claiming that one can not argue against the bible.
Re: The Issue Of First Fruit by Masking: 5:42am On Jan 01, 2020
2Corinthians9:7.

The isrealites of the old testament were under the law of moses and followed stringent guidelines on giving.

Under the law of Christ however, that above scripture is now the guiding principle.

So if you desire to give your first fruit, it should not be under COMPULSION, or cause you're afraid God will block your blessings if you didn't. It should be cos your heart impels you to.

I'm sure you know as a christian you're now under the law of christ.

You may wanna compare the concluding part of exodus 22:29, also deuteronomy 22:11. Those scriptures are hardly binding on christians today.

True, the phrase first-fruit is used in the new testament. But no where was it used as "first fruit offering" required from the members to the church. It was a mosiac requirement.

1 Like

Re: The Issue Of First Fruit by thorpido(m): 11:17am On Jan 01, 2020
justwise:
[/b]

That is my view as well but recently i was invited to a church where the pastor was going high on it claiming that one can not argue against the bible.

It is either the pastor is ignorant or just wants the money to come into the church.
Re: The Issue Of First Fruit by justwise(m): 11:28am On Jan 01, 2020
Masking:
2Corinthians9:7.

The isrealites of the old testament were under the law of moses and followed stringent guidelines on giving.

Under the law of Christ however, that above scripture is now the guiding principle.

So if you desire to give your first fruit, it should not be under COMPULSION, or cause you're afraid God will block your blessings if you didn't. It should be cos your heart impels you to.

I'm sure you know as a christian you're now under the law of christ.

You may wanna compare the concluding part of exodus 22:29, also deuteronomy 22:11. Those scriptures are hardly binding on christians today.

True, the phrase first-fruit is used in the new testament. But no where was it used as "first fruit offering" required from the members to the church. It was a mosiac requirement.

Thanks for this comment, I couldn’t have said it better, I have to go back to read those two bible verses you mentioned and it even threw more insight into the whole argument.

I appreciate your contribution.
Re: The Issue Of First Fruit by justwise(m): 12:23pm On Jan 01, 2020
thorpido:
It is either the pastor is ignorant or just wants the money to come into the church.

This is very common in many churches, the first fruit to them is about your first salary of the year.
Re: The Issue Of First Fruit by Myself2(m): 7:06pm On Feb 21, 2020
justwise:
[/b]

Is the pastor the founder of the church ? If so, then you will understand that he is after his belly. In Old Testament times, the chief priests were too busy in the temple with their priestly duties and they were not known to farm, so all the first fruits offerings were generally meant for the chief priest. Do you have a chief priest now ? Is that the system we are operating now ? A lot of church leaders will not tell their congregation this truth which will enable them have a more informed opinion about first fruits and decide whether to be part of it or no,put especially as it's not a prerequisite for making heaven and refusal to pay is not a sin
Re: The Issue Of First Fruit by justwise(m): 7:35pm On Feb 21, 2020
Myself2:

Is the pastor the founder of the church ? If so, then you will understand that he is after his belly. In Old Testament times, the chief priests were too busy in the temple with their priestly duties and they were not known to farm, so all the first fruits offerings were generally meant for the chief priest. Do you have a chief priest now ? Is that the system we are operating now ? A lot of church leaders will not tell their congregation this truth which will enable them have a more informed opinion about first fruits and decide whether to be part of it or no,put especially as it's not a prerequisite for making heaven and refusal to pay is not a sin

He is the senior pastor with a lot of branches under him, he is more or less the owner of the church
Re: The Issue Of First Fruit by Myself2(m): 8:02pm On Feb 21, 2020
justwise:

He is the senior pastor with a lot of branches under him, he is more or less the owner of the church

There you have his motivation for asking for first fruit cos he will now assume the position of chief priest and your guess is as good as mine. This is one of th emost closely guarded church financial secrets by church leaders.
Re: The Issue Of First Fruit by Adgideon(m): 11:16pm On Feb 21, 2020
God told Cain and Abel to bring the first and best of their produce Abel did but Cain did not and we how God accepted Abel's own. First fruit is giving to God the first of your income if your faith can carry it, just like tithe you do or don't. In the old it was either your farm or animal produce, but now is money, which is use for the running of the church,
Re: The Issue Of First Fruit by justwise(m): 11:22pm On Feb 21, 2020
Adgideon:
God told Cain and Abel to bring the first and best of their produce Abel did but Cain did not and we how God accepted Abel's own. First fruit is giving to God the first of your income if your faith can carry it, just like tithe you do or don't. In the old it was either your farm or animal produce, but now is money, which is use for the running of the church,

Can you show me anywhere in the bible where it stated that one should bring the whole Jan salary as first fruit?
Re: The Issue Of First Fruit by Adgideon(m): 12:09am On Feb 22, 2020
justwise:

Can you show me anywhere in the bible where it stated that one should bring the whole Jan salary as first fruit?
the Bible talk about first fruit God servants preached about it, so is by choice, it might not b your January salary whatever you receive or get in the beginning of the year, giving is by choice
Re: The Issue Of First Fruit by paxonel(m): 1:54am On Feb 22, 2020
Adgideon:
the Bible talk about first fruit God servants preached about it, so is by choice, it might not b your January salary whatever you receive or get in the beginning of the year, giving is by choice
what you are saying is that giving should not be regulated. That we should choose to give even when the giving does not warrant it?

I will keep doing what is not necessary because it's my choice and simply because there are no rules to control my animalistic appetite of doing what is not necessary and the person that is brainwashing me to continue doing so?

You can't try this a developed society and go Scot free, ask oyedepo.

I tell you a truth, when a parent sees a child keep doing what is not necessary and he doesn't intervene to regulate the child's action simply because it is the choice of the child to do so, that parent is not helping the child to grow.

That is what the Nigerian government has done to Nigerians over the years.
Re: The Issue Of First Fruit by Acehart: 5:24am On Feb 22, 2020
FIRSTFRUITS (The New Testament perspective)

There are seven sabbaths legislated in the Torah (The Law). They are:

1. The Feast of Passover.

2. The Feast of Unleavened bread.

3. The Feast of Firstfruits. (Feast of Shavout)

4. The Feast of Weeks. Also called The Feast of Pentecost.

5. The Feast of Trumpets.

6. The Feast of Atonement.

7. The Feast of Tabernacles. Also called The Feast of Booths or The Feast of ingathering.

It was foretold in the Torah and the Prophets (in forms, shadows, symbols, and types) that someone was coming to fulfill the essence of these Sabbaths (Holy-days). The Image and reality was Christ (Col. 2:16-17).

Hebrew 12:23 says, ”You have come to the joyful gathering of God's first-born, whose names are written in heaven. You have come to God, who is the judge of all people, and to the spirits of good people made perfect”.

Firstfruits, “Bikkurim”, in the Hebrew language, means firstborn sons or male firstling of the herd. (According to the Torah, the firstfruits offering in the temple consisted of the male lamb and the barley loaf with a drink offering of wine).

In the Gospels, concerning the Day of the Feast of the Firstfruits and the resurrection of Christ Jesus from the grave, 1 Corinthians 15:20 says, “But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept.” Christ is referred to as the Firstfruit of the dead.

According to Apostle James, being born again according to the will of our Heavenly Father through the power of the gospel makes us a kind of firstfruits God acquires for Himself. (James 1:18).

Concerning firstfruits, Dr. John MacArthur writes, “Originally an OT expression referring to the first and best harvest crops, which God expected as an offering. Giving God that initial crop was an act of faith that He would fulfill His promise of a full harvest to come (Prov. 3: 9, 10)”.

In the same way, the saints are the first evidence of God’s new creation - a sign of a glorious harvest for all creation (Romans 8:19-23). If this is true, the 144,000 of the tribes of Israel, a type of firstfruits (Revelation 14: 4), usher in a full harvest of redeemed people during the time of tribulation - the great multitude which no one could number of all nations, tribes, people and tongues in the ninth verse of the seventh chapter of the Revelation of John.

FIRSTFRUITS - THE FEAST OF SHAVOUT AND CHRIST (The Old Testament Perspective)

Genesis 4:4: And Abel brought of the firstborn of his flock and of the fat portions. And the Lord had respect and regard for Abel and for his offering.

Firstfruits, Bikkurim, in the Hebrew language, means firstborn sons or male firstling of the herd.

Abel, the son of Adam, offered the firstborn, the male firstling of his herd -the firstfruit(Genesis 4: 4). The writer of the Book of Hebrews wrote, “He offered a more excellent sacrifice”. (Hebrews 11: 4); the firstborn sacrifice of Abel was likened to sacrifice of Christ Jesus.

In the Book of Genesis, Abraham took his firstborn son, the firstfruit of promise (as Paul speaks of Isaac – Galatians 4) to the peak of Mount Moriah. On this peak, he prophesies that Jehovah would provide a lamb for Himself (Genesis 22: 8 ). Calvary, where Jesus Christ was crucified, is in the mountain range of Mount Moriah, the same area Abraham offered Isaac, his firstfruit of promise, to God.

Joseph, the firstfruit of Jacob’s favoured wife, Rachel, was given the right of the firstfruit instead of Reuben. The right, symbolized by the coat of many colours, is translated as “garment of many colours” or “coat of atonement” by some scholars

The word “cover” is used initially to describe God’s action in the Garden of Eden; when He slew an animal and used its skin to “cover” the shame of Adam and Eve. Thus, revealing God’s plan of salvation for fallen man. It is the same word used to describe the coat Hannah brought to Samuel, her firstfruit, yearly when she came to offer the annual atoning sacrifice to the Lord of Hosts at Shiloh.

On Joseph’s coat of many colours, his brothers shed the blood of a male firstling, a firstfruit of the herd on it to mimic his blood and presented it to their father, Jacob. The blood of the firstfruit that Joseph’s brothers shed on the coat typified the blood of Christ which would be shed on Calvary.

Jehovah ordained seven Holy days or Sabbath days. The third of the seven being the Feast of the firstborn sons, the Feast of Firstfruits. He established for them, the Hebrews, the principle of the firstfruits in the feast of Unleavened Bread. (Exodus 13:11-16)

The LORD spoke to Moses (Lev.23:10-12), saying, “Speak to the sons of Israel and say to them, "When you enter the land which I am going to give to you and reap its harvest, then you shall bring in the sheaf of the first fruits of your harvest to the priest." He shall wave the sheaf before Jehovah for you to be accepted; on the day after the sabbath the priest shall wave it. And you shall offer on that day, when you wave the sheaf, a male lamb of the first year, without blemish, as a burnt offering before Jehovah.”
(Leviticus 23: 10 says, “The sheaf of the firstfruit is presented to the priest who raises it up in the presence of the congregation”.)

This “raising up” of the sheaf before the congregation typified the resurrection of Christ Jesus on the seventh day of the first month of the Jewish calendar - the day of the Feast of the firstfruit. On this day, Christ Jesus rose up from the grave; it was the very same day Noah’s ark was lifted to the height of Mount Ararat (above the death beneath).

The twelfth and thirteenth verses of Leviticus 23 says, ”a firstling of the flock without blemish is offered and oil is poured on its meat“. Oil in the Old-Testament did not only refer to the sanctification of a thing or person, it also referred to conferment of nobility to such a one anointed. This mingling of oil on the firstborn lamb finds its reality in Christ Jesus. Therefore, the writer of Hebrews wrote, ”Therefore God, even thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows” (Hebrews 1: 9).

Therefore, Christ Jesus is the firstfruit of the flock: He said, ”Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abides alone: but if it die, it brings forth much fruit”. (John 12:24). Jesus was that corn of wheat which planted His life in the earth to bring forth an abundant harvest - those who are consecrated in Him, the fats of Abel’s sacrifice.

(The Promise of God was fulfilled – God provided His own firstborn, His first fruit, His firstling, His lamb, as an atoning sacrifice for the sins of all men. This is all that the firstfruits sacrifice was - a sacrifice of atonement with God. The acceptance of Abel (Gen. 4:7) and the Children of Israel (Lev. 23:10-11) were in the offering of the Firstfruit. To the glory of God, all saints are accepted in the offering of Christ (Eph.1:6-7))

The next day, John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, "Look, the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world! (John 1:29)

Acehart

1 Like

Re: The Issue Of First Fruit by justwise(m): 7:24am On Feb 22, 2020
Adgideon:

This is exactly the problem.. no where in the bible was first fruit monetised, no where in the bible was first mentioned to be ones first whole month salary but many pastors have boldly misinterpreted the bible to suit their own selfish interests.

When it came the tithe the bible was specific 10% but with first fruit it says give the best out of what God has blessed you with.
Re: The Issue Of First Fruit by Adgideon(m): 10:39am On Feb 22, 2020
justwise:

This is exactly the problem.. no where in the bible was first fruit monetised, no where in the bible was first mentioned to be ones first whole month salary but many pastors have boldly misinterpreted the bible to suit their own selfish interests.

When it came the tithe the bible was specific 10% but with first fruit it says give the best out of what God has blessed you with.

your best can still be money
Re: The Issue Of First Fruit by Adgideon(m): 10:43am On Feb 22, 2020
paxonel:
what you are saying is that giving should not be regulated. That we should choose to give even when the giving does not warrant it?

I will keep doing what is not necessary because it's my choice and simply because there are no rules to control my animalistic appetite of doing what is not necessary and the person that is brainwashing me to continue doing so?

You can't try this a developed society and go Scot free, ask oyedepo.

I tell you a truth, when a parent sees a child keep doing what is not necessary and he doesn't intervene to regulate the child's action simply because it is the choice of the child to do so, that parent is not helping the child to grow.

That is what the Nigerian government has done to Nigerians over the years.
is all about choice, the Bible says let everyman give according to the propose of his heart not graugdely but with all the heart or else no rewad
Re: The Issue Of First Fruit by paxonel(m): 11:07am On Feb 22, 2020
Adgideon:
is all about choice, the Bible says let everyman give according to the propose of his heart not graugdely but with all the heart or else no rewad
true!

However, first fruit isn't giving.
First fruit is a scheme of distorting money from ignorant innocent Nigerians who cannot perceive that the money collection originated from the old testament when there was no Christianity.

If first fruit originated from the old covenant why will a pastor compel someone in the new covenant to bring first fruit?

1 Like

Re: The Issue Of First Fruit by justwise(m): 1:06pm On Feb 22, 2020
Adgideon:
your best can still be money

That is not the point.
Re: The Issue Of First Fruit by safex(m): 11:14pm On Mar 01, 2020
justwise:

This is exactly the problem..

Hello, I just saw that I've been banned. May I ask why and by who?
Kindly look into this. Thanks

(1) (Reply)

Best Church Growth Resources You Need For Your Ministry / Pls What Do They Mean for one to have 'ogun Eje'(battle) OR family curse. / It's Not A War Against Black People Its A War Against God And His People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.