Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,331 members, 7,808,118 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:26 AM

Your Experience On Your First Hiv Status Test. - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Your Experience On Your First Hiv Status Test. (19973 Views)

Poll: Will you agree to undergo a HIV status Test in the full glare of your colleagues or family knowing full well whichever it goes the result will be known to them?

Yes: 60% (72 votes)
Maybe: 10% (13 votes)
No: 28% (34 votes)
This poll has ended

She Hid Her Hiv Status From Her Hubby For 5yrs / Today Is World AIDS Day: Do You Know Your HIV Status? / Do You Know Your HIV Status? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Your Experience On Your First Hiv Status Test. by orgasm(m): 10:23pm On Dec 01, 2010
Some health guys came to my office today to enlighten us on HIV and at the end of d show they asked us to come forward for free test. Nobody agreed to come forward.i volunteered and d guy told me to wait for 5mins for result. All eyes where on me as i waited for d result.after about what seems lik 5years d guy called me out,took me to a corner,sat me down and started asking me strange questions.like when was d last time u did dis test? Hv your fiancee done hers? Do u use public clippers? Does your fiancee fix weavon with public needles? There was dis serious and concern look in his eyes. By this time all my colleagues where looking at us at a distance with anticipation while i was stuttering in response to his numerous questions. Sweat have gathered at my brow and many things where going through my mind. For christ sake wat is dis question about my fiancee and public clippers? We getting married in months! D guy paused and looked at my blood sample and started to explain some stuff to me i was certainly not listening to,blow out his cheek and said you are non-reactive! What does dat nean? He said oh you are negative. Phew! I felt like blowing d guy rite in his face. What was d suspence for in d first place? D guy really made sweat. I smiled sheepishly, tanked him and walked away on quaking feet. Trust my colleagues,they were jst staring at me until i showed dem d report which gave dem d courage to do theirs. It wasnt funny!
So tell us if u had a similar experience.

1 Like

Re: Your Experience On Your First Hiv Status Test. by ismaeel86(m): 2:53am On Dec 02, 2010
HIV is a deadly disease that many people are still treating with kid gloves. when i had my HIV test, i was surprised to see people that look healthy and beautiful coming to collect anti-retrioviral drugs. this goes to show that its not every healthy looking person that is HIV free. My advise is that people should go to clinics with their partners or alone to check their HIV status, and also protect themselves by not sharing sharp objects and not also engaging in unprotected sex.
Re: Your Experience On Your First Hiv Status Test. by Nobody: 6:21am On Dec 02, 2010
I take blood test all the time does that count? cheesy
Re: Your Experience On Your First Hiv Status Test. by ifyalways(f): 9:21am On Dec 02, 2010
LOL @ OP.The guy shld have asked all the questions,done all the explaining b4 u took the test.The suspence na die.
My first HIV test was during my my sec. school days.Some group like that came to our sch.,after much talks and bla bla the floor was open for free testing.
I wasnt really scared then cos i wasnt sexually active(then everyone assumed the only or fastest way of contacting HIV was sex).
Re: Your Experience On Your First Hiv Status Test. by shadrach77: 11:35am On Dec 02, 2010
i remember my first experience - when the doctor called me in and said the test was 'negative' my heart sank! - he saw the look on my face and quickly went on to explain that negative meant that i had no hiv and positive would mean i did - very funny grin grin
Re: Your Experience On Your First Hiv Status Test. by oladayo042: 11:54am On Dec 02, 2010
@OP Same here. The counsellor just dey ask me "Has it come to your fiddle mind that the cd you are using may bust while f***ing"? I was trembling.
Re: Your Experience On Your First Hiv Status Test. by oluaries01(m): 11:58am On Dec 02, 2010
I have never done the test before, i dont have the courage to go for it due to the reeckless live i lived when i was in the university.

1 Like

Re: Your Experience On Your First Hiv Status Test. by Nobody: 12:02pm On Dec 02, 2010
mine was that i went to the hospital  myself cos it was one of my resolutions for that year and by december, i was still scared to do it. So be4 the end of that december that yr, i went to the hospital myself and had the test. The doctor was suprised that i walked into the hospital myself to do the test cos i told him i wanted to know my status. He was very impressed. While waiting, he was just asking me about my past which i truthfulkly told him. He was just trying to encourage me but in my mind i was a living corpse. I was ready to face the worst. Laater he called me into his office and i saw the big NEGATIVE stamped on the card. It was then i got the relief.
After like 2 wks again, i went to another clinic to confirm.
Since dat time, i have always bn extra careful abt evrything that can make one to be infected
Re: Your Experience On Your First Hiv Status Test. by 702: 12:04pm On Dec 02, 2010
for me, i had like symptoms of malaria but dint really know what was wrong so i went for a test, the lab guy after taking my blood sample for malaria enquired if i wud like 2 do HIV test i had mixed feelings and asked him if i wud cme the nxt day for the result. he said i wud get it in a giffy, i said ok. it did nt take tym that he came bk and screamed, wiv this demeanor i was like drop dead, then he said 'You r -ive!' n shwed me one strip like plastic  , hmm, sighs, gr8 relief!!! funny guy! if i were 2 av a weak heart  that means when he screams 2 tell you ur result u wud jus die b4 gettin it!
Re: Your Experience On Your First Hiv Status Test. by jamesugo: 12:06pm On Dec 02, 2010
I did the test twice, while on my SIWES scheme and last year 2009 at school.
I was not afraid at all because i new myself.
However, it isn't AIDS VIRUS that kills,it's peoples' fear for it .fear makes one debilitate in health thereby reducing the immune syetem from compacting the AIDS VIRUS.
Re: Your Experience On Your First Hiv Status Test. by Nobody: 12:08pm On Dec 02, 2010
angry angry angry angry Mine happened late 2007-2008 i just came back from the UK then and was always falling ill.i was stooling alot and cloudnot place it.i went t see my doctor over and over again and he cuoldnot understand it either.
finally a day came after like 3 weeks of no change he asked me if i would try the HIV test and i looked him in the eye and was like dont joke with me on that angry angry angry
finally he let me go and called me up the next day that he wants some test done that he will send me a text message.i said ok as long as all this can stop.
well i got the text which said something like xyz test. shocked shocked i asked myself what on earth is xyz test called his number back but he put off his phone. shocked shocked
so i walked over to the lab he said and told them what i wanted.i asked the lab guy wat on earth is a xyz test and they all looked at me and said nothing angry angry now i was going ballistics  shocked shocked shocked
any way they had my blood taken and started treating me like shit and asked me to come in the next day by 5pm.
i walked out and called my friend and he told me that xyz was the other name for HIV test angry angry angry damn i have been fooled, grin grin grin well i walk back home that day without a cab, just walked home thinking of my life sad sad sad
wrote a small letter kept it were it will be found  angry angry well went back there hanged around and ask my friend to follow me, anyway they still treated me like shit till after they came out and i was clean , damn i almost killed the woman with looks while she laughed off shocked shocked angry angry
Re: Your Experience On Your First Hiv Status Test. by axeman85(m): 12:14pm On Dec 02, 2010
very funny . used to doing test and and of which blood is creened for the virus but av bin clean so far. but intentionally went to do it specifically. the lady told me that if i dont hear from them again then i am ok but if i hear from them then there is a problem. to cut the long story short i waited and waited only for one morning my phone jst ring. it was them only to be asking me that they want more blood sample as the one they took no reach. i said how come. they said they have done syphilis, gonorrhea, and others it jst remains P1 or P2 left to do . anyway i didnt go back there oo. since i don clear for the rest and recent blood screening for medical purposes didnt come up with any issues.
Re: Your Experience On Your First Hiv Status Test. by Demdem(m): 12:16pm On Dec 02, 2010
ifyalways:

LOL @ OP.The guy shld have asked all the questions,done all the explaining b4 u took the test.The suspence na die.
My first HIV test was during my my sec. school days.Some group like that came to our sch.,after much talks and bla bla the floor was open for free testing.
I wasnt really scared then cos i wasnt sexually active(then everyone assumed the only or fastest way of contacting HIV was sex).

what about now? av u gone now since it sems as if u are now grin grin grin
to be honest, i av not gone oooo. not becos i live a careless life but ehhhhhhh, e no easi oooo.
Re: Your Experience On Your First Hiv Status Test. by switchmax8: 12:18pm On Dec 02, 2010
i did mine last year in LUTH when i wanted to wed and did another general hospital this year when my wife was pregnant it was a very terrible experience when i did it the first time at LUTH,i wanted to avoid it but my fiance insisted because that was the requirement of the Anglican church not the pentecostal churches that does not care about it.
The end result was negative though am not expecting to be positive but the fear of having it is more than airline crash.My brother and Sister whomever says it is simple test it is lie the anxiety alone might lead to hypertension.
Re: Your Experience On Your First Hiv Status Test. by mafolayomi(f): 12:29pm On Dec 02, 2010
grin grin grin. nairalanders will not kill person, anyway, my own is not fear but time, ones i have d time, and i remember i will do it
Re: Your Experience On Your First Hiv Status Test. by Demdem(m): 12:36pm On Dec 02, 2010
^^^^hehehehehe, tell me when exactly u tot about this. bet me u, fear cant be ruled out.
Re: Your Experience On Your First Hiv Status Test. by cecegorz(m): 12:40pm On Dec 02, 2010
Boy oh boy!

It wasn't funny o, awon boyz was cornered by a student Intern way back in school.
I think it was around third year in school, had this tumor that came on my neck region
and instead of the guy to do a biopsy on the growth, he ordered me for HIV screening.

i just went to the lab and they took samples, then it used to take like a week to
get result. being that handsome had always been an active player, it was natural to
feel apprehensive.

But finally i got the result and it was -ve. I rushed down to the clinic and that day the resident doctor
was in, you need to see the pride with which i brandished my report, only for the MD to say that i
didn't even need the test in the first place, given the nature of the ailment.

Since then, i have done subsequently, when i got my first job and i know i can't be +ve.
Even if the virus forces itself into my blood,it will die on the spot cool  cool  cool
Re: Your Experience On Your First Hiv Status Test. by tunyus(m): 12:40pm On Dec 02, 2010
mine was duing my IT(siwes)at intercontinental bank after passing the test and interview we were given a letter to take Havana Hospital at surulere for like 10 diff test including HIV.the result will not be reveal to us.it will be sent to the regional office directly.on getting home i culdnt sleep for days.because i know i do play around during my uni days.the day i was call by office that i shuld come i was happy and fulfiled meaning i av passed the medical test.
Re: Your Experience On Your First Hiv Status Test. by Nobody: 12:56pm On Dec 02, 2010
The first time i did my first HIV Test i was in my final year in school Abeokuta, there was a festival going on in town so i went with my friends to the stadium to have fun. We barely sat down when a guy walked up to us introducing himself as a member of an NGO, he asked if any of us was interested in taking the test that it was free, none of my friends volunteered but i summoned courage and decided to do the test. I was so scared.
We walked down to their stand and he took my blood sample b4 i changed my mind. I went back to my table, i couldnt eat nor drink what my friends had ordered for me i kept thinking of what the result could be, i even thougt of running away.
After some time he came and took me to a counseling room and started asking me about my past sex life, how many men i had slept i was so scared i had goose pimples all over my body. We finally opened the result together, lo and behold it was NEGATIVE. I was so excited that i made up my mind never to have sex in my life again. But how possible is dat. LOL
Re: Your Experience On Your First Hiv Status Test. by remioshy(f): 12:59pm On Dec 02, 2010
Actually,  about 3years ago i was sent to a center for some tests by my G.P when i went o complain of pain in my lower abdomen ,  whn i got to this center and i gave them the slip my doctor gave me for my test, i was told to wait and later given a form to fill, on a section of the form, they asked one to sign if they want to have hiv test caried out as well so that they can take some blood for it while taking the blood for my original test, i ignored the section thinking why would i want to know, is that what i came here for, but out of curiosity i went back to the section and read the information on the benefits of knowing your status early , i closed my eyes and ticked yes, i returned the form , but i started paniking that why did i agree to do this , should i asked for the form back and cancel?, not long i was called for the blood taking, while the nurse was taking the blood , i wanted to shout, pls dont do the hiv test for me, but i remain frozen on the seat, aftr i was called in to see a councellor before i left who asked me series of question about my past sexual interactions and my husband as well and told me i can come with someone when i come for my result.

i was told that my result will be back within a week and to come back after a week, but if there is and prob with the result, i will be called within the next 5days, i can tell you that was the worst five days of my life, i could not eat or sleep well,  if i was laughing or happy and i suddenly remembered my test, i will become sad immediately, blaming myself that why did i do i, anytime my phone rings between 9am-5pm, i will be scared of picking it up,i will peep at the number if it not a land phone or 0800 number before i picked it up, i started going on the internet to google everything about hiv, what to expect if positive, my hosehold new something was wrong but i could not say

after 5 days and one week no call, i was so so so so so relieved, i ate properly first time in days, and after that NEGATIVE . that was about 3years ago, and should properly get anothe test done, but no courage yet, though i have no reason to think am at risk,

i was able to encourage my husband to have his done, he did last year, negative as well, we stick to each other, for me, sure, him? i hope so
Re: Your Experience On Your First Hiv Status Test. by MzGreat(f): 1:11pm On Dec 02, 2010
oluaries01:

I have never done the test before, i dont have the courage to go for it due to the reeckless live i lived when i was in the university.
i think u should do it.atimes it doesnt matter.the grace might be sufficient for u, lol
Re: Your Experience On Your First Hiv Status Test. by babsmii(m): 1:23pm On Dec 02, 2010
well, i was sitting holding the chair arm so tight when the stupid laboratory guy was squeezing his face like shit and beating around the bush with silly advices and stories, then i made up my mind immediately that if this thing turns out to be tragic, i'll just declare my intention to become a full time pastor. it wasn't a good moment until i got the good news, i just walked out of d idio that made me lose my breath, i experienced heart beat skip like twice live for the first time in my life
Re: Your Experience On Your First Hiv Status Test. by sayso: 1:27pm On Dec 02, 2010
I had a total recall of all the bad things,unprotected sex,shavings without cleaning the blade,cuts from where-ever,the mind was searching for results,though invisible and it was so bad that they asked me to come back the following day.That nailed my further search of mind.terrible feeling indeed.
Re: Your Experience On Your First Hiv Status Test. by zaza1(m): 1:31pm On Dec 02, 2010
hmmm, i did mine when my fianceee was to have an operation and needed blood, wanted to donate so they had to screen my blood, i was not thinking about the test at that point, all my mind was for her to be ok, turned out negative and we were not even the same blood type so I could not donate blood, but at least i know my status.HIV test by force

1 Like

Re: Your Experience On Your First Hiv Status Test. by sayso: 1:36pm On Dec 02, 2010
if I may ask,is it not possible to have this test everyday with some kind of test strip?why I ask is that when you get your result,you are negative at that time so tommorow you are not sure again.

1 Like

Re: Your Experience On Your First Hiv Status Test. by cecegorz(m): 2:24pm On Dec 02, 2010
^^^
I think it will still get to that.
Soon you will be having something like DIY preg. test kit
Re: Your Experience On Your First Hiv Status Test. by Nezan(m): 2:39pm On Dec 02, 2010
No body wan gree talk say im result be positive grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Your Experience On Your First Hiv Status Test. by deols(f): 2:52pm On Dec 02, 2010
interesting read so far

I av done it twice, though not voluntarily

The first time, I didn't think I could av bn positive for the same reason Ifyalways gave, but I was afraid someone else's result could be mistaken as mine.The relief came after i got the result the next day.
Re: Your Experience On Your First Hiv Status Test. by semid4lyfe(m): 2:52pm On Dec 02, 2010
Had my 1st HIV test during my industrial attachment training in a hospital.

I wasn't really bothered cos I was a V then and I felt my chances of contacting it the "other ways" was very minimal.

Result came out Negative just like I expected.
Re: Your Experience On Your First Hiv Status Test. by orgasm(m): 2:57pm On Dec 02, 2010
Are the health workers all trained to make one sweat and scared? They should give u ur result before d counsel so u can be relaxed to listen and assimilate cos i ddt assimilate all he said cos i was sweating and disoriented with wild thoughts. the way they go about it will scare people away. I tot i was strong until d guy started toiling with my emotions.at a time i wast even seeing him again.phew! Is not an easy test o. Lol!
Re: Your Experience On Your First Hiv Status Test. by Mesef1: 3:14pm On Dec 02, 2010
I had the test in Abuja in 2005 as part of the pre-employment medicals for Platinum Bank (now Bank PHB) new hires. I was supposed to travel to Ibadan the next morning.

I was at the motor park when my phone rang and it was the nurse at the hospital who was on duty during my examination the previous day. She said her Doctor would need to see me urgently that morning. Meeee, n! that was it, I thought. About 2 weeks before the test, I had some pleasant moments with one fling like that and the CD bursted in the process. There at the motor park, I started an argument within me that at least there is always a window period of about 6 months before it can be detected. Then again I thought, since there are many species of the virus, it could be a deadly one. I thought of the best way to commit suicide and all that. The thoughts were wild and nasty. You  needed to see the thick sweat on my face, it was as if I just came out of the swimming pool!

Somehow, I summoned courage and called bact the number that called me. The doctor picked it and when I asked him why he wanted to see me, he feigned ignorance of the first call. He said he wasn't aware I was supposed to come. About 5mins later, the nurse called me back and said actually, she forgot to take my height and weight measurements the previous day and she had to mention the Doctor's name so I could come by all means. When I told her about my tension and fears due to the way she called me earlier, she bursted into laughter!

I have done the test 3 other times and I'm negative.
Re: Your Experience On Your First Hiv Status Test. by Homonide: 3:56pm On Dec 02, 2010
Men, it wasn't easy @ all. I didn't really panic u know, but i just couldn't help myself, what if the result comes out positive? i 10k GOD sha.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Passenger Slumps, Dies At Lagos Airport / Japa: Reps Raise Alarm As LUTH Shuts Down 5 Wards Over Doctors’ Shortage / We Can Make 100-year-old Woman Pregnant — Nigerian Fertility Expert

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.