Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,294 members, 7,808,001 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:12 AM

How Do I Improve My Spoken English? I Need Your Advice Please!!! - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Do I Improve My Spoken English? I Need Your Advice Please!!! (11927 Views)

Please, How Can I Improve My Spoken English? / Please How Can I Improve My Spoken English / Common Errors In English. I Vs ME (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do I Improve My Spoken English? I Need Your Advice Please!!! by ModestGal(f): 7:38pm On Jan 27, 2020
cutegentility:
Greetings to everybody in the house. As this year runs to an end, I try to figure out my weaknesses. Fortunately for me - I did and it is poor communication skills(English). I think one of the prevailing factor behind this is that I'm used to saying local English and slangs to my fellow country men.
However, I made a resolution to have a very good command of this language I'm talking about.

Gurus in the house, how do I go about this?

Although my English might sound averagely okay to local standard but to international level? I'm no where to be found. Most of my foreign friends also complain about this.
I will teach you some basics you can build up for free through lots of phone conversations on telegram. If you won't be serious, don't bother to chat me up,as many people I decide to train freely abuse the opportunity and make me feel frustrated.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Improve My Spoken English? I Need Your Advice Please!!! by cutegentility(m): 7:56pm On Jan 27, 2020
ModestGal:

I will teach you some basics you can build up for free through lots of phone conversations on telegram. If you won't be serious, don't bother to chat me up,as many people I decide to train freely abuse the opportunity and make me feel frustrated.
I'm very much interested ma.

How do I go about it?
Re: How Do I Improve My Spoken English? I Need Your Advice Please!!! by ModestGal(f): 9:20am On Jan 28, 2020
cutegentility:

I'm very much interested ma.

How do I go about it?
Chat me here
09074*67*98*26
Re: How Do I Improve My Spoken English? I Need Your Advice Please!!! by cutegentility(m): 10:38am On Jan 28, 2020
ModestGal:

Chat me here
Thanks
Re: How Do I Improve My Spoken English? I Need Your Advice Please!!! by beepositive(m): 11:59am On Jan 28, 2020
1. Find An English-Speaking Conversation Partner.

2. Make Sure To Listen As Well As Speak. ...

3. Record Your Conversation Practice. ...

4. Surround Yourself With The English Language. ...

5. Practice With Music and Movies. ...

6. Read Aloud. ...

7. Talk To Yourself.

Did that help?

1 Like

Re: How Do I Improve My Spoken English? I Need Your Advice Please!!! by adeleke5140: 6:14pm On Jan 28, 2020
Hey. I find this post encouraging. I'm also on a quest to improve on how I speak. I'm trying to learn Received pronunciation and I've been trying to emulate how a Brit speaks. I wouldn't call it British English ( there's actually not anything like "British English") but let's say it leans towards how people talk in The UK than American English.

So here's what I did. I found a couple of YouTube channels, e.g English with Lucy, Papa A.Y and I also listen to the BBC on television. Another great resource I use is Podcasts. They help with listening skills and I try to hear how words are pronounced and I emulate it.

It's not gonna be easy I tell you but if you want progress you'd see yourself improving daily.
There's the stigma you'd face from people saying you're forming and what not. Don't be dettered, keep practicing.

Re: How Do I Improve My Spoken English? I Need Your Advice Please!!! by cutegentility(m): 6:20pm On Jan 28, 2020
adeleke5140:
Hey. I find this post encouraging. I'm also on a quest to improve on how I speak. I'm trying to learn Received pronunciation and I've been trying to emulate how a Brit speaks. I wouldn't call it British English ( there's actually not anything like "British English"wink but let's say it leans towards how people talk in The UK than American English.

So here's what I did. I found a couple of YouTube channels, e.g English with Lucy, Papa A.Y and I also listen to the BBC on television. Another great resource I use is Podcasts. They help with listening skills and I try to hear how words are pronounced and I emulate it.

It's not gonna be easy I tell you but if you want progress you'd see yourself improving daily.
There's the stigma you'd face from people saying you're forming and what not. Don't be dettered, keep practicing.
Alright thanks so much. Although, I haven't use podcast before.
Re: How Do I Improve My Spoken English? I Need Your Advice Please!!! by cutegentility(m): 6:23pm On Jan 28, 2020
beepositive:
1. Find An English-Speaking Conversation Partner.

2. Make Sure To Listen As Well As Speak. ...

3. Record Your Conversation Practice. ...

4. Surround Yourself With The English Language. ...

5. Practice With Music and Movies. ...

6. Read Aloud. ...

7. Talk To Yourself.

Did that help?
That sounds like a good idea to me. I will try it out as well. Thanks
Re: How Do I Improve My Spoken English? I Need Your Advice Please!!! by Justmemyself1(m): 6:37pm On Jan 28, 2020
Write a lot and read aloud what you have written as well as what others have written. It works.

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3513427

1 Like

Re: How Do I Improve My Spoken English? I Need Your Advice Please!!! by adeleke5140: 12:14am On Jan 29, 2020
cutegentility:

Alright thanks so much. Although, I haven't use podcast before.

Are you trying to learn American English?

1 Like

Re: How Do I Improve My Spoken English? I Need Your Advice Please!!! by cutegentility(m): 3:12am On Jan 29, 2020
adeleke5140:

Are you trying to learn American English?
British English
Re: How Do I Improve My Spoken English? I Need Your Advice Please!!! by GracyGreat: 10:27am On Jan 29, 2020
Thank you for sharing.

To speak better, I think you need to learn to listen better.

Listen to the way words are pronounced
Listen to the modulation of words
you may also watch youtube videos on learn to speak English better.

Most importantly practice what you learn. I hope this helps.

Meanwhile friends, please I am currently conducting a research on career awareness amongst youths.

I have developed a survey (just a few questions) and would really appreciate your honest responses.

Please click the link below:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/GW9RQZH

Please help fill survey on career awareness and development among adolescent
Thanks
Re: How Do I Improve My Spoken English? I Need Your Advice Please!!! by Igeadubi33: 5:25am On Jan 31, 2020
Wow! People's comments that I read under this post have exposed me to a lot of ways to improve my language potency. Thanks a lot.
Re: How Do I Improve My Spoken English? I Need Your Advice Please!!! by singhmrsaurabh(m): 1:08pm On Jan 31, 2020
There are many motivational speakers who speak live also as well as make the Best Motivational Video for students. You can watch their video to get that positive attitude and can add some new things to your lives. You can also watch Mr. Saurabh Singh he makes Best Motivational video for Students; you can watch them to get better in lives and more information regarding knowledge and career.

Motivational Video in Hindi:-
There is huge numbers of Motivational Speaker and they are doing their duty at best. You need to find a person who makes Motivational Video in Hindi and you could easily relate with him. You can watch Mr. Saurabh Singh videos; he is one of the best Motivational Speaker in India. He always gives the genuine solution to the students. He also makes India Best Motivational Video in Hindi. You can listen to him to get better in life.
Re: How Do I Improve My Spoken English? I Need Your Advice Please!!! by cutegentility(m): 4:16pm On Jan 31, 2020
singhmrsaurabh:
There are many motivational speakers who speak live also as well as make the Best Motivational Video for students. You can watch their video to get that positive attitude and can add some new things to your lives. You can also watch Mr. Saurabh Singh he makes Best Motivational video for Students; you can watch them to get better in lives and more information regarding knowledge and career.

Motivational Video in Hindi:-
There is huge numbers of Motivational Speaker and they are doing their duty at best. You need to find a person who makes Motivational Video in Hindi and you could easily relate with him. You can watch Mr. Saurabh Singh videos; he is one of the best Motivational Speaker in India. He always gives the genuine solution to the students. He also makes India Best Motivational Video in Hindi. You can listen to him to get better in life.
Wow!!! Thanks a lot
Re: How Do I Improve My Spoken English? I Need Your Advice Please!!! by tokrizy: 7:07am On Feb 01, 2020
If u re around uniben and u need to buy a foam and a generator. Please quote me. I want to sell..I will show d pictures and everything at affordable price
Re: How Do I Improve My Spoken English? I Need Your Advice Please!!! by Miraj22(f): 5:10pm On Feb 03, 2020
One of the best is reading of novels, your brain will just be taking the words in without you even knowing until you start speaking.
Re: How Do I Improve My Spoken English? I Need Your Advice Please!!! by Gbadepro(m): 10:06pm On Feb 04, 2020
Bro, pls from where can some of this podcast be downloaded

adeleke5140:
Hey. I find this post encouraging. I'm also on a quest to improve on how I speak. I'm trying to learn Received pronunciation and I've been trying to emulate how a Brit speaks. I wouldn't call it British English ( there's actually not anything like "British English"wink but let's say it leans towards how people talk in The UK than American English.

Re: How Do I Improve My Spoken English? I Need Your Advice Please!!! by Loki100: 8:25pm On Feb 06, 2020
[color=#550000][/color]haha
Re: How Do I Improve My Spoken English? I Need Your Advice Please!!! by Originalsly: 7:53pm On Feb 07, 2020
Hmmm.... improving oral communication in English. You write pretty ok... fair command of written English... but the talking part. Some suggested read a lot more.... if not aloud... then you are going nowhere. Try this.... read a passage aloud... for like 3 minutes.... rate yourself...6/10 ...whatever. Re read the very passage but have it recorded. Playback and rate yourself on the recording... I can guarantee you will rate yourself much lower. Oral communication can only improve with practice. You are already deep into local accent.... for you to move to a more British or American accent will take a whole lot of practice. You have to actually speak. Soo many words are pronounced differently... in different regions... the same as you have accent the same way they have accents. Born and bred Texans have a damn hard time communicating with born and bred New Yorkers.... same English....different accents. You speaking to an American... same English... different accent. A lot involved... the parent of John John.... how is parent pronounced? pay rent/ parr ent? The economy is robust... how is robust pronounced? ..ro bust/rob ust?...rob ust all over the news.
My advice.... get an app or go to you tube where you can learn first hand and get a whole lot of practice.
Re: How Do I Improve My Spoken English? I Need Your Advice Please!!! by leodegreat: 8:36am On Feb 08, 2020
cutegentility:
Greetings to everybody in the house. As this year runs to an end, I try to figure out my weaknesses. Fortunately for me - I did and it is poor communication skills(English). I think one of the prevailing factor behind this is that I'm used to saying local English and slangs to my fellow country men.
However, I made a resolution to have a very good command of this language I'm talking about.

Gurus in the house, how do I go about this?

Although my English might sound averagely okay to local standard but to international level? I'm no where to be found. Most of my foreign friends also complain about this.

Good dearie.
the truth is that you have started improving it for making the move to speak well. English has come to stay as far as we are concerned. And we all should constantly look forward to speaking better.
These steps might help:
1. Read from good Novels. the truth is that reading culture is dying in our country and in recent future, Nigeria will have more illiterate than we have now, because many people are not willing to read.

2. Write down new expressions, phrases and words from the novels you read: this is essentially helpful. if you make use you them.

3. Try to Speak often... seize every opportunity to speak when you are in gathering. if possible make little jottings, and make your contributions politely.

4. Listen to good speakers, like Chimamanda Adichie, Ngugi wa Thiong'o and others. These supply you with good dictates you need in public speaking.
They are successful and good speaks you could learn a lot from.

5. Pick up a topic and speak about it: In the comfort of your room, make rehearsal as though you have a topic to present. check your capability, speak on the topic and make some necessary correction.

6. move with people who will make you speak always. This is rather important, when you move with people who make you speak your native language, then you will make little progress in spoken English.

Then you are on your way of being a successful speaker.
No one knows it all, we only need to try. you could be the best, me to. self help is all you need.
Re: How Do I Improve My Spoken English? I Need Your Advice Please!!! by cutegentility(m): 9:35am On Feb 08, 2020
leodegreat:

Good dearie.
the truth is that you have started improving it for making the move to speak well. English has come to stay as far as we are concerned. And we all should constantly look forward to speaking better.
These steps might help:
1. Read from good Novels. the truth is that reading culture is dying in our country and in recent future, Nigeria will have more illiterate than we have now, because many people are not willing to read.

2. Write down new expressions, phrases and words from the novels you read: this is essentially helpful. if you make use you them.

3. Try to Speak often... seize every opportunity to speak when you are in gathering. if possible make little jottings, and make your contributions politely.

4. Listen to good speakers, like Chimamanda Adichie, Ngugi wa Thiong'o and others. These supply you with good dictates you need in public speaking.
They are successful and good speaks you could learn a lot from.

5. Pick up a topic and speak about it: In the comfort of your room, make rehearsal as though you have a topic to present. check your capability, speak on the topic and make some necessary correction.

6. move with people who will make you speak always. This is rather important, when you move with people who make you speak your native language, then you will make little progress in spoken English.

Then you are on your way of being a successful speaker.
No one knows it all, we only need to try. you could be the best, me to. self help is all you need.
Alright ma, thanks for your your contribution.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Cut-off Mark For Futo In Petroleum Engineering / Any Info On Federal Poly Kaura-namoda Zamfara Nd List / "What Is The Name Of These Sheep-like Animals With A B*ooty Bigger Than Kim K's?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.