Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,886 members, 7,806,561 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:18 PM

Why Do We Communicate With English Language. - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Why Do We Communicate With English Language. (240 Views)

The Chatgpt Phenomenon: How AI Is Changing The Way We Communicate / How Do I Communicate With Other Nairalanders? / The Problems Of Nigeria With English Speaking.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do We Communicate With English Language. by khing00600: 7:43pm On Jan 03, 2020
I believe we have over 200 different languages here in Nigeria, but the issue here is that if we don't do voice call in our dialect, we only communicate in English language even when speaking with our relatives of the same dialect.
Re: Why Do We Communicate With English Language. by Dbest247: 8:00pm On Jan 03, 2020
It is presently the easiest language to communicate with in Nigeria
Re: Why Do We Communicate With English Language. by czarina(f): 8:03pm On Jan 03, 2020
khing00600:
I believe we have over 200 different languages here in Nigeria.
See? You answered the first part of your question yourself.

As for "refusal" to speak our languages at the family level; it depends on the family and colonial mentality (no offense)

At some point, many people equated fluency in the English language with affluence/exposure to the "Whiteman's ways".

Thankfully, people are fast deconstructing that belief. There's this thread in family section about a scrabble game in Ibo language. Genius! If you ask me.

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Communicate With English Language. by Nobody: 10:22pm On Jan 03, 2020
I'd rather speak a language I am confident in very well that everyone can understand than speak a dialect only few people can get.

Thats why I love pidgin, you can speak it anywhere in africa...except south africa. I don't know what is wrong with those people undecided

(1) (Reply)

Why Do People Equate Achievement In Life With Car Worship And Idolatry / How To Get Married In Nigeria / 720p Eyeglass

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.