Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,842 members, 7,806,370 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:29 PM

My Mom Is Suggesting A Divorce From My Dad - Family (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Mom Is Suggesting A Divorce From My Dad (31455 Views)

I Told My Husband That I Cheated On Him. Now He Wants A Divorce. / My Mom Is A Troublemaker... I Need Help / "My Wife’s Beauty Makes Me Sleepless, I Want A Divorce" - Zimbabwea Man To Judge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Mom Is Suggesting A Divorce From My Dad by yeyeosoronga: 6:18pm On Jan 04, 2020
Reffone:
I pray u don't come in contact with maimi water people does people do strong voodoo shits

How many years has your father being married to his 2nd wife? Is it since the 17 years ago he started having problems with your mum?

1 Like

Re: My Mom Is Suggesting A Divorce From My Dad by DMerciful(m): 6:33pm On Jan 04, 2020
It's the way we read the story that made us think we would have done otherwise. Today, we are told not to fornicate, yet we do. We are told not to be wicked yet we are. God said the day you eat this fruit you will positively die. Eve ate it, she did not die but became wiser. What do you expect Adam to do, refuse eating it and let Eve start keeping enmity with him. Eve had already eaten it before telling him so it was somehow late. Adam had been in the garden for sometime but no issue until God brought him a woman. He never asked for this! He was on his own! But again because God knows the end from the beginning,
it means the world is exactly as God wants it!
yeyeosoronga:

Yes, Adam has been known never to take personal responsibility for anything and never to be accountable. It has always been someone else's fault, even God in this case.
Despite the specific instruction given to him by God, he still disobeyed and blamed everyone else but himself for his disobedience.
Re: My Mom Is Suggesting A Divorce From My Dad by bukatyne(f): 6:45pm On Jan 04, 2020
CorperKola:

I find it very baffling, really baffling how a woman who stayed at home taking care of children while i was building my business would after the business succeeds have the temerity to tell me she owns half
If i had hired a maid all those time, maybe she would say she is entitled to half of my business too. Its jst very funny
In any case Nigeria doesnt recognise that western mentality
Because for instance, the man could have 3 wives
So all the wives would claim half.
There is nothing like 3 wives in America.
U better advice your mum, you guys could actually lose everything.
If i have an actual employee that works with me for those years to build the business for say say 30 years, its only my responsibility to compensate him accordingly or promote him so that his position and salary will be very high.
do you know i could sack anytime jst like an ployee that started work last year
And he cant dare approach any court to say he is entiltled to half of my property.
The idea jst sounds very stupid to me.
Anyway
Your mum is jst pained cos she has a rival, ur dad should have gotten a second wife earlier not now
And you, okay you are a girl, no wonder, if it was a guy that really had a lot of influence of his father, you would jst advice your dad to be fair to his 2 wives.
And still make your mum feel like the senior wife with special privileges.
And appealing to your mum to calm down and not take things up to level of divorce.
Cos the court will see she is jst jealous and there is no real cause
You even said they did traditional marriage
I am sorry for you.
You should be playing peacemaker
Again, you may lose out on everything in the end

Since you are comparing a wife to an employee:

Do you intend to pay your wife on a monthly basis? Pay bonus? Promote her and up her pay when she performs well?

Would she also seek better employment elsewhere? You know seek newer challenges outside?

4 Likes

Re: My Mom Is Suggesting A Divorce From My Dad by yeyeosoronga: 6:50pm On Jan 04, 2020
DMerciful:
It's the way we read the story that made us think we would have done otherwise. Today, we are told not to fornicate, yet we do. We are told not to be wicked yet we are. God said the day you eat this fruit you will positively die. Eve ate it, she did not die but became wiser. What do you expect Adam to do, refuse eating it and let Eve start keeping enmity with him. Eve had already eaten it before telling him so it was somehow late. Adam had been in the garden for sometime but no issue until God brought him a woman. He never asked for this! He was on his own! But again because God knows the end from the beginning,
it means the world is exactly as God wants it!

Again, you keep making excuses. Isn't it better to make enmity with Eve than with God?

1 Like

Re: My Mom Is Suggesting A Divorce From My Dad by crackhaus: 6:53pm On Jan 04, 2020
bukatyne:

Since you are comparing a wife to an employee:

Do you intend to pay your wife on a monthly basis? Pay bonus? Promote her and up her pay when she performs well?

Would she also seek better employment elsewhere? You know seek newer challenges outside?
That guy's logic is solid if you really water it down
Re: My Mom Is Suggesting A Divorce From My Dad by DMerciful(m): 7:04pm On Jan 04, 2020
God said if they eat the apple they will die, Eve ate it without dying, what do you want Adam to do? If Eve ate the apple and died as they were told, will he still eat the apple? Adam clearly was not to blame. Eve and God in my opinion have the blame though I dont believe the story.
yeyeosoronga:

Again, you keep making excuses. Isn't it better to make enmity with Eve than with God?
Re: My Mom Is Suggesting A Divorce From My Dad by grandstar(m): 7:30pm On Jan 04, 2020
Reffone:
Please this no be joke. My parents have had a rough path for 17 years now and a marriage of 27 years.

Things seem not to work out no more and she is fed up and wants to leave cause my father is married to another woman who seems to manipulate him and has no single child. My father is well to do so she wants to know her choices, what she stands to gain or lose along the process.

Please my lawyers in the house help out

If she divorces, she just gives legitimate reason for the 2nd woman to come in and take her place. Most will say it's your mums fault. If she leaves and sufferung because she broke, your dad will be poking fun at her. It will look like a liability has just left.

On the other hand, if your mum is well to do, a divorce will hit home. She's comfortable will send messages to your dad that he should have treated her better.

1 Like

Re: My Mom Is Suggesting A Divorce From My Dad by ZIMDRILL(m): 7:30pm On Jan 04, 2020
Omobada:

Are you talking based on Nigerian laws or foreign laws. because in Nigerian laws there's nothing like that.

its common sense, like i said people you traditional rule to their advantage

poor education or not knowing your rights contribute to all this where men get away with everything

sure in your right mind, you spend 20 years in traditional marriage that both family accepted you and took part in traditional marriage ceremony, you cooked, for the nigger, nursed him when he was sick, gave him children, looked after the house etc

You think the wife should just go empty handed simply because she married traditional, is there any abuse which higher than this

The problem is when people divorce, they use anger to think sort of punish each other, for registered marriage its easy to settle the difference and the divorce its self has to be done at the courts

traditional marriage they still have rights too though not fully protected by courts, but still a challenge can put through the courts

its unfortunate that half of those who marry traditionally dont know their rights and most are poor to find lawyers to fight for the little they have

3 Likes

Re: My Mom Is Suggesting A Divorce From My Dad by wizdomnzube(m): 8:07pm On Jan 04, 2020
cococandy:
Also, getting married early does not stop anyone from seeking financial freedom. My point is whatever they do, they can be taught to never settle for being home raising kids and not making their own money since the Nigerian man will always want to short change them at the end of the day.

You folks are just arguing against logic.

cc @plead

They will very much prefer to be at home laying eggs, getting fat and watching Zeeworld than go out and make money. It's just how most babes are now. Check the ones that ain't married yet, what do they do? Absolutely nothing, all they do is take pictures post on Instagram, sell their body and look expensive and at the same time bill their hustling bfs. Omo an average Nigerian babe na Liability(Not all though)

1 Like

Re: My Mom Is Suggesting A Divorce From My Dad by Pataricatering(f): 8:07pm On Jan 04, 2020
U men are so funny ! U only advance so far in life because there is a woman who is taking care of your children - let’s see how far u would go in life if you had to dedicate time and effort to take care of your own kids . After someone now dedicated her life , throws away opportunities in her career / business for donkey years after everything you will now think your money and position are yours alone ! Ara Lo ma San gbogbo yin ! -
dawnomike:
Since you her children are grown up, she may have nothing to gain monetarily or property wise. This is Nigeria!
And why is she thinking of what what she stands to gain if she divorces ?

7 Likes

Re: My Mom Is Suggesting A Divorce From My Dad by Amanda4life: 8:12pm On Jan 04, 2020
LuvSwollenPussy:

This still doesn't make it legal

Is it true

Are you a lawyer?
Re: My Mom Is Suggesting A Divorce From My Dad by Amanda4life: 8:19pm On Jan 04, 2020
bukatyne:

Go to an 'honest' lawyer who will tell you want your mum's chances really are.

What is the profile of you the kids? Is your mum currently earning?

What is your dad's responsibility towards you guys currently? Does he sponsor you guys through school? Care for your mum financially?

If yes, let your mum chill.
Or is she in her 20s

Or she never still comot mind for that kind thing?

Marriage of 27years and children are grown up.
What else?
Re: My Mom Is Suggesting A Divorce From My Dad by bukatyne(f): 8:26pm On Jan 04, 2020
crackhaus:

That guy's logic is solid if you really water it down

I don't agree with his view of marriage.

I read further and saw he is a Muslim.

Might not have quoted him if I had prior knowledge of his religion.

1 Like

Re: My Mom Is Suggesting A Divorce From My Dad by dawnomike(m): 9:10pm On Jan 04, 2020
Pataricatering:
U men are so funny ! U only advance so far in life because there is a woman who is taking care of your children - let’s see how far u would go in life if you had to dedicate time and effort to take care of your own kids . After someone now dedicated her life , throws away opportunities in her career / business for donkey years after everything you will now think your money and position are yours alone ! Ara Lo ma San gbogbo yin ! -
The part where you aired your view on the input of a wife in a man's career i understand....But you going on to say "ara lo ma san pa gbogbo yin..." is quite uncalled for!
But it is alright i meant no offense with my comment neither am i offended by yours
Re: My Mom Is Suggesting A Divorce From My Dad by LuvSwollenPussy(m): 9:43pm On Jan 04, 2020
Amanda4life:

Is it true

Are you a lawyer?
Unless there's a court(registry) marriage with a marriage certificate, if you like do traditional gorodom and born 30 children, divorce is impossible. The word "divorce" is a legal term and it is issued by court not traditional village elders..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Mom Is Suggesting A Divorce From My Dad by FabulousAutos(m): 11:15pm On Jan 04, 2020
The only person I pity is your dad cos from what I can see in your writeup, you’re all concerned about his wealth.

1 Like

Re: My Mom Is Suggesting A Divorce From My Dad by mechanics(m): 6:54am On Jan 05, 2020
She should not divorce him.

1 Like

Re: My Mom Is Suggesting A Divorce From My Dad by onegig(m): 12:32pm On Jan 05, 2020
Sterope:
This woman should not bother with asking for anything. Her respite is finding comfort in her 6 children.

She has a right to a lot. I am sure she sacrificed her career to stay at home and take care of the kids thus leaving her financially dependent. If anything she deserves a payment to at least start life back afresh. Prolly a small biz setup or even a grant from the man.

For the man to be lavishly spend money on one Yellow pawpaw means he actually has the money.

3 Likes

Re: My Mom Is Suggesting A Divorce From My Dad by Sterope(f): 1:16pm On Jan 05, 2020
If she can leave her husband despite 6 grown children, that kind of man will put her through hell. I am not sure it is worth it.

onegig:

She has a right to a lot. I am sure she sacrificed her career to stay at home and take care of the kids thus leaving her financially dependent. If anything she deserves a payment to at least start life back afresh. Prolly a small biz setup or even a grant from the man.

For the man to be lavishly spend money on one Yellow pawpaw means he actually has the money.
Re: My Mom Is Suggesting A Divorce From My Dad by onegig(m): 1:26pm On Jan 05, 2020
Sterope:
If she can leave her husband despite 6 grown children, that kind of man will put her through hell. I am not sure it is worth it.

Children should not be a yardstick to measure such. I understand he is not worth it but if he was willing to be spending money on a sugar girl somewhere then he should be able to pay her at least something to set her up. She practically owns a bit of whatever assets he owns and she has a right to some part of it.

2 Likes

Re: My Mom Is Suggesting A Divorce From My Dad by Sterope(f): 1:58pm On Jan 05, 2020
Children should not but this woman doesn't seem to have much options.

Our law and its interpretration are not evolved to protect this woman. You need to hear the nonsense some of these judges spew. Consider the time, money, energy and mental strain for how much?

onegig:

Children should not be a yardstick to measure such. I understand he is not worth it but if he was willing to be spending money on a sugar girl somewhere then he should be able to pay her at least something to set her up. She practically owns a bit of whatever assets he owns and she has a right to some part of it.

1 Like

Re: My Mom Is Suggesting A Divorce From My Dad by saasala(m): 2:29pm On Jan 05, 2020
Logobenz:
How does a person that help build the empire not have money of her own so much so that she has to depend on marriage severance to be able to cope on her own?
You think it's by staying at home and catering for children that translatea to "help build" right?
What kind of woman will want to divorce and risk it after enduring for 27years?
Will a capitalist do that?of course not!So how come a non capitalist is claiming she HELP BUILD?
No make me vex ooo!if I talk wetin dey my mind you no go happy.
Better tell her to calm down and allow you guys enjoy your possessions,else she'll have herself to blame.

You are a complete fool.

3 Likes

Re: My Mom Is Suggesting A Divorce From My Dad by Nobody: 6:20pm On Jan 05, 2020
bukatyne:

Promote her and up her pay when she performs well?

You mean perform well in the Bedroom?

tongue tongue tongue

Re: My Mom Is Suggesting A Divorce From My Dad by Omobada(m): 11:23pm On Jan 10, 2020
Can you please share the authorities that back up this your submission with me.I mean, Nigerian legal provisions to buttress your assertion that at the dissolution of marriage the parties are to share husband's properties equally. As a lawyer, I seriously need it. Thanks
ZIMDRILL:

its common sense, like i said people you traditional rule to their advantage

poor education or not knowing your rights contribute to all this where men get away with everything

sure in your right mind, you spend 20 years in traditional marriage that both family accepted you and took part in traditional marriage ceremony, you cooked, for the nigger, nursed him when he was sick, gave him children, looked after the house etc

You think the wife should just go empty handed simply because she married traditional, is there any abuse which higher than this

The problem is when people divorce, they use anger to think sort of punish each other, for registered marriage its easy to settle the difference and the divorce its self has to be done at the courts

traditional marriage they still have rights too though not fully protected by courts, but still a challenge can put through the courts

its unfortunate that half of those who marry traditionally dont know their rights and most are poor to find lawyers to fight for the little they have

1 Like

Re: My Mom Is Suggesting A Divorce From My Dad by ZIMDRILL(m): 12:04am On Jan 11, 2020
Omobada:
Can you please share the authorities that back up this your submission with me.I mean, Nigerian legal provisions to buttress your assertion that at the dissolution of marriage the parties are to share husband's properties equally. As a lawyer, I seriously need it. Thanks

1st lets separate types of marriages

1 civil marriage aka court registered marriage, where by law what was aquired during marriage shall be distributed by the courts as it see fit and

1 A traditional marriage whereby both families accepted your traditional marriage, those people shall be your witness via default of being there on traditional marriage ceremony/gathering, proof via video and picture

Since you are a lawyer show me where it says, woman divorce from a traditional marriage should be given anything that she aquired with husband

2 if you read carefully i didnt say its law but it common sense, but people dont use it because there is always someone bitter when a couple divorces hence most men would want to take everything away from the women

3 with your 5 senses would you thing women would want to be married if they knew that husband can simply divorce you and you go back empty handed like the way you come in ?

4 When laws are not being enforced it doesnt mean the laws doesnt exist, most divorces from traditional marriages are dealt via tradition route which favours men, but it doesnt make it right and these are the same people who are less informed about the advantage of registered marriage therefore, they dont even know that they can challenge traditional
kangaroo rule. If they knew they would have done a registered marriage

1 Like

Re: My Mom Is Suggesting A Divorce From My Dad by Omobada(m): 9:19pm On Jan 12, 2020
MY brother, your comment is full of contradiction and moreover you're just beating about the bush... You have to clarify whether you based your position on common sense or legal provisions. Because from your comments so far, you don't even know what it's meant by law...For your information, you can only successfully fight for your right within the ambit of the appropriate laws and there's no existing Nigerian laws which says that husband's properties should be shared equally by both parties at the dissolution of marriage whether such marriage was conducted traditionally, through registry or otherwise...Judges don't decide matters merely on the basis of common sense rather they do so relying on the provisions of relevant laws... Take care
ZIMDRILL:

1st lets separate types of marriages

1 civil marriage aka court registered marriage, where by law what was aquired during marriage shall be distributed by the courts as it see fit and

1 A traditional marriage whereby both families accepted your traditional marriage, those people shall be your witness via default of being there on traditional marriage ceremony/gathering, proof via video and picture

Since you are a lawyer show me where it says, woman divorce from a traditional marriage should be given anything that she aquired with husband

2 if you read carefully i didnt say its law but it common sense, but people dont use it because there is always someone bitter when a couple divorces hence most men would want to take everything away from the women

3 with your 5 senses would you thing women would want to be married if they knew that husband can simply divorce you and you go back empty handed like the way you come in ?

4 When laws are not being enforced it doesnt mean the laws doesnt exist, most divorces from traditional marriages are dealt via tradition route which favours men, but it doesnt make it right and these are the same people who are less informed about the advantage of registered marriage therefore, they dont even know that they can challenge traditional
kangaroo rule. If they knew they would have done a registered marriage

Re: My Mom Is Suggesting A Divorce From My Dad by ZIMDRILL(m): 1:51am On Jan 13, 2020
Omobada:
MY brother, your comment is full of contradiction and moreover you're just beating about the bush... You have to clarify whether you based your position on common sense or legal provisions. Because from your comments so far, you don't even know what it's meant by law...For your information, you can only successfully fight for your right within the ambit of the appropriate laws and there's no existing Nigerian laws which says that husband's properties should be shared equally by both parties at the dissolution of marriage whether such marriage was conducted traditionally, through registry or otherwise...Judges don't decide matters merely on the basis of common sense rather they do so relying on the provisions of relevant laws... Take care

like i said show me were law supports your point
Re: My Mom Is Suggesting A Divorce From My Dad by Nobody: 5:46pm On Jan 13, 2020
My sister , the truth be told.
Either your mum file.for divorce or not since your dad is having another baby mama , and there is none of your dad's property that was bought jointly ..., Honestly, the law In our country does not permit the husband to splash the property with her wife in the case of divorce. For those of you that you are above 18 years, you have to go and Hussle but the underage will enjoy monthly stipends, education fee, health and so.. from both parents

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

When Is The Right Time To Tell Him/Her Of A Child From Previous Relationship? / My 4 Generations And Still Counting / South African Family Recreates Their Photo Taken In 1992, After 25 Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.