Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,369 members, 7,808,292 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:56 AM

Folake Adebola, Muslim Who Wore Hijab To Work In US Sent Home - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Folake Adebola, Muslim Who Wore Hijab To Work In US Sent Home (85690 Views)

Meet Adebola Rebecca, GIGL’s First Female Captain (photos) / Owerri Lawyer Wore Blue Suit To Court (Photos) / Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Folake Adebola, Muslim Who Wore Hijab To Work In US Sent Home by Tundemuttee: 9:28am On Jan 04, 2020
Nigerian Lady Sent Home From Work In US For Wearing Hijab

Chicken Express employee says she was told to leave because of her hijab

A fast-food restaurant in Texas is apologizing after an employee was asked to leave because she was wearing a hijab. Stefanae Coleman, 22, told CBS News on Thursday that she felt "disrespected" when her manager and her co-workers at the Chicken Express restaurant in Fort Worth, Texas, asked her to take off the hijab.

"You shouldn't have to retrain people to respect people's religion because that's something people should already have knowledge of," she told CBS News

Coleman said she converted to Islam in August and was hired by Chicken Express in October. She said she told her co-workers she would start wearing a hijab soon. But when she started wearing it on Monday, she said, she was not welcomed by her co-workers.

She said her manager told her she could only wear "Chicken Express-branded" clothing. She said she took off her jacket and purse, but her manager called her into his office. In a video she posted on Twitter on Tuesday, a manager told her the hijab did not follow the company dress code. "Your job is your job," the manager told her in the widely-shared video.

Coleman told CBS News that he told her if she didn't take off her hijab, she would have to leave. But she said "I was saying, 'what you're doing is wrong, you're sending me home and and the reason is invalid.'"

Coleman said that a friend told her to upload video of the incident to Twitter. "This is discrimination at its finest! I will not tolerate this at all," Coleman wrote in a follow-up tweet.

In a statement to CBS News, Rhett Warren, an attorney for the Chicken Express franchise owner, said they had apologized to Coleman and the manager's comments were due to a "lack of training."

"The manager was using a strict interpretation of the company policy that does not allow derivations from the standard employee uniform, and he unfortunately did not take religious liberty into consideration," Warren said.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/chicken-express-texas-employee-says-manager-told-her-she-had-to-remove-hijab-2020-01-03/

I converted to Islam not too long ago and I started wearing my hijab, I went to work today and was kicked out because my hijab was not apart the “ dress code” apparently and I wasn’t allowed to wear it. Don’t come to the chicken express in Fort Worth!!

https://mobile.twitter.com/naemuulaa/status/1211702462475907072

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoWK_MpS-rA

5 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Folake Adebola, Muslim Who Wore Hijab To Work In US Sent Home by NwaAmaikpe: 9:30am On Jan 04, 2020
shocked

OP, I hope by home you meant, back in Ilejemeje?

284 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Folake Adebola, Muslim Who Wore Hijab To Work In US Sent Home by livebyday(m): 9:31am On Jan 04, 2020
Hmmmmm

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Folake Adebola, Muslim Who Wore Hijab To Work In US Sent Home by MANNABBQGRILLS: 9:33am On Jan 04, 2020
When you are in Rome, do as the Romans do.

161 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Folake Adebola, Muslim Who Wore Hijab To Work In US Sent Home by otipoju(m): 9:34am On Jan 04, 2020
If they have a dress code / uniform, she just might not be able to wear it. She can wear whatever she wants at home.

But if they do not have uniforms and everybody dresses as they please, she might have a valid case for discrimination

I once worked for a firm that had a business casual dress code and did not allow jeans nor T Shirts even though the main company we were working for had a very lax dress code. Their own staff could were slippers and leggings on the same premises.

To prove discrimination, she has to be prove that all the others are allowed to dress as they choose while she is not.

147 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Folake Adebola, Muslim Who Wore Hijab To Work In US Sent Home by Nobody: 9:37am On Jan 04, 2020
She said she converted to Islam in August and was hired by Chicken Express in October. She said she told her co-workers she would start wearing a hijab soon. .

You were employed as a none hijab wearing muslim, then out of the blues, you tell your colleagues 2months after you would start wearing hijab without checks if the outfit has reservations for hijab?...

That is a breach of employment contract.

605 Likes 42 Shares

Re: Folake Adebola, Muslim Who Wore Hijab To Work In US Sent Home by Blakjewelry(m): 9:41am On Jan 04, 2020
BuhariAdvocate:
Ipob propaganda. Just to paint yoruba bad.
how old are you?

288 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Folake Adebola, Muslim Who Wore Hijab To Work In US Sent Home by madridguy(m): 9:43am On Jan 04, 2020
shocked
Re: Folake Adebola, Muslim Who Wore Hijab To Work In US Sent Home by NwaAmaikpe: 9:45am On Jan 04, 2020
shocked

I'd never understand the brain behind religious overzealousness.
The job is not yours,
The country is not yours,
But you need both yet you won't conform.

Who are you then?
Even typical guest decorum demands that you abide by the dictates of your host.

It is the frigging U.S of A for fvck's sake. If your employer askes you not to wipe your arse after using the toilet.
Please do it with all joy and even smear some of it on your face to show full compliance.

Only people who forget where they are coming from are in a hurry to get sent back to Nigeria for avoidable reasons.

I once overhead a mom tell her children after they gatecrashed an event, 'eat o, you know as house be!!'
And ever since, no matter where I am, I never forget that home is Nigeria.
Sadly home is hell for most of us that we'd rather lick our fingers after packing shiit in elderly homes of organized, functional countries than live lavish in Banana Island.

So OP, I hope by home, you mean back in the hinterlands of Agbede where she can wear her hijab without any criticisms.

481 Likes 43 Shares

Re: Folake Adebola, Muslim Who Wore Hijab To Work In US Sent Home by YorubaPrince: 9:46am On Jan 04, 2020
Good job... send her ass home! You can't go to another man's country and wanna be claiming nonsense. She can go to Saudi or Somalia if she wants to cover up like terrorists. Nonsense!

272 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Folake Adebola, Muslim Who Wore Hijab To Work In US Sent Home by crownwealth: 9:52am On Jan 04, 2020
Terrorists & extremists everywhere you go...

64 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Folake Adebola, Muslim Who Wore Hijab To Work In US Sent Home by GOFRONT(m): 9:53am On Jan 04, 2020
Religion the Opium of the people of Africa

22 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Folake Adebola, Muslim Who Wore Hijab To Work In US Sent Home by CAPSLOCKED: 9:56am On Jan 04, 2020
AS USUAL, CHRISTIANS ARE JUBILATING BECAUSE IT'S ISLAM THAT IS BEING PULLED.
BUT IF YOU BAN A CHRISTIAN FROM PREACHING OR PRAYING PUBLICLY, OR YOU BAN CHRISTIAN RELIGIOUS BOOKS OR ITEMS YOU'LL FIND THEM WAILING ABOUT THE ATTACK ON CHRIST AND HOW THE GATES OF HELL CANNOT PREVAIL, ALONG WITH OTHER NONSENSES THEY UTTER WHENEVER THEIR RELIGIOUS ACTIONS ARE QUESTIONED.

THE TRUTH IS, CHRISTIANS AND MUSLIMS.... YOU ARE ONE.

YOU ALL HAVE TO STOP FIGHTING EACH OTHER. YOU NEED TO EMBRACE EACH OTHER LIKE ONE LARGE CONGREGATION OF GULLIBLE DIRECTIONLESS HERD OF CATTLE THAT NEITHER KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING OR WHERE THEY'RE GOING. cheesy

95 Likes 21 Shares

Re: Folake Adebola, Muslim Who Wore Hijab To Work In US Sent Home by sammyj: 9:59am On Jan 04, 2020
Use office dress code. Imagine working inna bank in Nigeria and wearing hijab in Southern part of the country. She would have worn her hijab at home. cool

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Folake Adebola, Muslim Who Wore Hijab To Work In US Sent Home by Sirheny007(m): 10:00am On Jan 04, 2020
grin
Re: Folake Adebola, Muslim Who Wore Hijab To Work In US Sent Home by BuhariAdvocate: 10:04am On Jan 04, 2020
I'm old enough to be your father.
Blakjewelry:
how old are you?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Folake Adebola, Muslim Who Wore Hijab To Work In US Sent Home by Marine54(m): 10:06am On Jan 04, 2020
Her mate are moving forward, and she is moving backward by converted to islam! slam is means backwardness. Shame to her......

89 Likes 1 Share

Re: Folake Adebola, Muslim Who Wore Hijab To Work In US Sent Home by Cyberterror: 10:09am On Jan 04, 2020
sammyj:
Use office dress code. Imagine working inna bank in Nigeria and wearing hijab in Southern part of the country. She would have worn her hijab at home. cool
I have seen bankers wear hijab at work in Lagos.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Folake Adebola, Muslim Who Wore Hijab To Work In US Sent Home by yanabasee(m): 10:10am On Jan 04, 2020
BuhariAdvocate:
I'm old enough to be your father.

Shatap!!!!!

39 Likes

Re: Folake Adebola, Muslim Who Wore Hijab To Work In US Sent Home by Nobody: 10:18am On Jan 04, 2020
She just converted in august and she is already an islamist extremist

Hah... What is wrong with dressing decently without wearing that hijab for God's sake

Ndimadu sef
Tufiakwa... Holier than pope character

88 Likes 1 Share

Re: Folake Adebola, Muslim Who Wore Hijab To Work In US Sent Home by Pidginwhisper: 10:25am On Jan 04, 2020
This one is just an unfortunate human being, asking people not to patronize the restaurant because you are told the hijab isn’t part of the dress code. Ugly thing claiming right in other people’s country. Omo ale jati jati.

119 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Folake Adebola, Muslim Who Wore Hijab To Work In US Sent Home by Nobody: 10:28am On Jan 04, 2020
CAPSLOCKED:
AS USUAL, CHRISTIANS ARE JUBILATING BECAUSE IT'S ISLAM THAT IS BEING PULLED.
BUT IF YOU BAN A CHRISTIAN FROM PREACHING OR PRAYING PUBLICLY, OR YOU BAN CHRISTIAN RELIGIOUS BOOKS OR ITEMS YOU'LL FIND THEM WAILING ABOUT THE ATTACK ON CHRIST AND HOW THE GATES OF HELL CANNOT PREVAIL, ALONG WITH OTHER NONSENSES THEY UTTER WHENEVER THEIR RELIGIOUS ACTIONS ARE QUESTIONED.

THE TRUTH IS, CHRISTIANS AND MUSLIMS.... YOU ARE ONE.

YOU ALL HAVE TO STOP FIGHTING EACH OTHER. YOU NEED TO EMBRACE EACH OTHER LIKE ONE LARGE CONGREGATION OF GULLIBLE DIRECTIONLESS HERD OF CATTLE THAT NEITHER KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING OR WHERE THEY'RE GOING. cheesy
Oga shut up eee.
Where did you see Christians jubilating?

171 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Folake Adebola, Muslim Who Wore Hijab To Work In US Sent Home by sammyj: 10:38am On Jan 04, 2020
Maybe on a Friday. I am yet to see one anyways!!
Cyberterror:
I have seen bankers wear hijab at work in Lagos.

9 Likes

Re: Folake Adebola, Muslim Who Wore Hijab To Work In US Sent Home by DavidEsq(m): 11:06am On Jan 04, 2020
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

OP, I hope by home you meant, back in Ilejemeje?
wickedness

28 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

See Someone's Salary In Kogi State - Photos / Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here / Woman Loses Her Corporate Job After Revealing How Many People She's Slept With

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.