Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,996 members, 7,806,893 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:30 AM

Is Nigeria A Truly Wealthy Nation? See What Economic Facts Say - Business (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Is Nigeria A Truly Wealthy Nation? See What Economic Facts Say (48487 Views)

DISTRIBUTORSHIP IN NIGERIA - A PRACTICAL GUIDE FOR BEGINNERS. / Reno Omokri: 'When You Meet A Wealthy Man, Don't Ask For Money' / Eight Ways To Improve Your Chance Of Becoming Wealthy In Life (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Nigeria A Truly Wealthy Nation? See What Economic Facts Say by ultron12345: 10:15pm On Jan 05, 2020
Kalixx:
Nigeria is as poor as sh*t.

You talk about potentials of human capital?

Whether a human's brain works or not, one thing is sure -- his belly would work.

There are so many hungry individuals in this country that are at the same time unproductive -- chiefly because of ignorance, lack of education and tools. They can't create value.

Even the graduates, what can they produce? Yes, what if there are no employers whatsoever? No govt jobs, no private jobs. How do these graduates create value then? Employers, government are in the end, human beings -- and there has to be a strong shift in orientation in order to bring awareness and knowledge to school leavers and graduates to create employment, even if slipshod. There also has to be a balance of goods produced and services. Nowadays, everybody is saying 'Teach me freelancing'. If everyone is an online freelancer, who's producing goods? Reliance on importation would keep dragging us back. We have to think of systemic and the most cost-effective ways to produce the most, with the least efforts. Until then, poverty would ravage this country from pole to pole.

Many literates still view wealth as piece of paper called money, but if that were so they should travel down to Mozambique where they will earn 10 million mozambique dollars and it wont be able to afford toilet roll. We as a nation have very very poor understanding of money, societal structures, wealth creation, factors of production, global trade and economics.

That is why a fresh graduate by default begins to think of a system he can quickly plug himself just to make money and have a roof over his head. This money and economic illiteracy is the reason why we fail so miserably in properly evaluating state leadership and the performance of our rulers by and large.

I have deliberately decided to skip the ubiquitous illiteracy and regressive Northern section of the country, parochial approach to all and sundry and sentimental adoption of religion, even though this is the crucial amplifier to this nation's distress.

But if truly Nigeria would be saved, the south has to play a major role especially in two things: value and education from the very grassroots. And then, that education should beam serious focus on two subjects: history and economics. Schools dont teach economics well enough. Its the most important subject.

Very insightful post, especially the economics part. I'm of the opinion that Economics should be made a compulsory subject along with English and Mathematics. It's just too important.

3 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria A Truly Wealthy Nation? See What Economic Facts Say by Designer123: 10:18pm On Jan 05, 2020
slimdamatrix1:

Always endeavour to confirm what you spill. San Francisco is the city in the world with the most billionaires. Smh

No need adding lies to prove a point.

Use Google. Its educative and factual.
Always endeavor to confirm what you spill.

2 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria A Truly Wealthy Nation? See What Economic Facts Say by tck2000(m): 10:22pm On Jan 05, 2020
AgamaProf:
You are wrong brother. Nigeria has potentials. But it is unfortunate we have not been able to realise and harness those potentials. To a greater extent, we are better endowed than China, or Saudi Arabia and some other emerging economies. Ask me what is wrong, why are we not at least at par with these advanced countries. Simple. Leadership!. Leadership has let everyone of us down. What has government done about millions and billions of dollars siphoned out of the country, what has government done to improve human capital, in fact we are trying in our educational sector with the little we have had, what has government done to generate revenue from other sources other than oil. When you ask these questions, you begin to get answers. Let's take count of the amount of natural resources Nigeria is endowed with. Logically, we should be better than Saudi, UAE, and competing with the likes of US, Canada and so on. We should be "giant of africa" in the real sense of it. We have resources. A lot of it. We have got the fighting spirit but corruption, and nepotism has brought us on our knees.
Re: Is Nigeria A Truly Wealthy Nation? See What Economic Facts Say by Nobody: 10:33pm On Jan 05, 2020
winterfell007:

Population is the greatest problem militating against our growth. We are too damn populated and it affects our equitable distribution of resources drastically
I beg to differ. We can't keep depending on oil. Have we grown in oil production?... Early 2015, can you remember the incidences in the Niger delta region? , early 2017 till date we have been battling exchange rate issues. The oil we produce, we can't even boast of doing it well. What other sources do we derive revenue from?. Poplualtion will keep growing whether at 0.5‰ or 5%, and let me burst your bubble, even if population were to be stagnant at the current amount for 10 years, Nigeria will still struggle economically unless we produce more, and diversify to a greater extent.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Nigeria A Truly Wealthy Nation? See What Economic Facts Say by Abagworo(m): 10:36pm On Jan 05, 2020
Speak2klein:
In 2003, Dangote set out to build took place in China in 22 years is equivalent to the UK’s level that took 120 years and USA that took 80 years. So maybe there is hope for Nigeria.

Other Indicators

Number of Billionaires in China — 2015 (image 3)
According to BBC, China produces two (2) new billionaires every week and one million (1,000,000) millionaires every year.
I wanna be a billionaire, billionaire yeah yeah, I wanna be a billionaire, billionaire yeah yeah
(Verse 2)
I wanna wake up in a Lamborghini, I wan chop life on Santorini, oh yeah.
-Teni the entertainer, Billionaire

Meanwhile, according to the NDIC, 98% of Nigerians don’t have up to N500,000 ($1,250) in their accounts. According to Mckinsey & Co, only 2m people in Nigeria have purchasing power and annual incomes over $10,000.

2. In India, the city of Mumbai alone has almost 60,000 millionaires; meanwhile, in Nigeria, there are just 12,300 millionaires in the entire country.

3. One of the measures for the economy and middle class of a society is the records of airport passengers compared to its population. In one year, Nigeria had 15.2 million airport passengers compared to Singapore Changi Airport, which served over 65 million passengers. (Singapore population — 5.6 million). The metropolis of Shenzen alone in China had over 400 million airport passengers in a single year. (Shenzen population — 12.5 million)
[
https://medium.com/@kleinuduh/is-nigeria-a-truly-wealthy-nation-7f839d838a6c

The bolded is a big fat lie. A millionaire is someone worth 360 million Naira and Port-Harcourt alone has more than 50,000 of such not to talk of Lagos, Kano, Aba, Onitsha, Abuja and other places.
Re: Is Nigeria A Truly Wealthy Nation? See What Economic Facts Say by olaboy1: 10:42pm On Jan 05, 2020
Nothing wrong with our huge population, we just need to find ways to improve on our productivity.
And it’s something as simple as having 24/7 electricity and this is going to improve the educational sector by 100% which automatically turns into wealth creation. A properly educated person will contribute significantly to our economy.

It’s such a shame the government is not doing enough to fix the power problem. Power sector, agriculture, education and health should take up 75% of our annual budget at least for 5 consecutive years.

For all Nigerians to live comfortably we need to find ways to jerk up our annual budget to 20trillion naira and keep our currency stable and at the same time readjust our taxation system so the high earners pay more.
Nigerian government should make it so easy to walk in to do business by ensuring implementation of capital punishment for bribery and corruption. A society or even a family that doesn't inspire trust and confidence will never prosper.

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria A Truly Wealthy Nation? See What Economic Facts Say by Speak2klein: 10:48pm On Jan 05, 2020
Well, I see your point. However, can you guess if the grovernment will be controlling pump prices when Dangote’s refinery is ready?

The last interview I heard him talk about this, he said no. He will sell at his own price and those who want to buy will buy.

He understands that a free market is the only way he will make his returns in time. He will convince the government to bend. Of course they will: it’s Dangote.

veeshock:

I dont think it would be feasible for discos to operate a free market per se, you are forgetting the fact discos only distribute what they are supplied, besides discos have monopoly in their areas of operation so there is no competition which should normally improve service. As for pump price again I dont think fixing the retail price is whats killing our refining capacity but rather persistent reluctance of the govt to make things given the fact the major importers and distributors benefitting from the entire process are close to power, so the fraud is continually perpetuated with fake bills on landen as they say.
Re: Is Nigeria A Truly Wealthy Nation? See What Economic Facts Say by Nobody: 10:55pm On Jan 05, 2020
itsme01:

why not check the map on poverty on the front page and come back for your answer

Osun state wey de owe 36 months salary dey the page? cheesy cheesy
Re: Is Nigeria A Truly Wealthy Nation? See What Economic Facts Say by Nobody: 10:57pm On Jan 05, 2020
Abagworo:

The bolded is a big fat lie. A millionaire is someone worth 360 million Naira and Port-Harcourt alone has more than 50,000 of such not to talk of Lagos, Kano, Aba, Onitsha, Abuja and other places.

Do you work in the financial sector?Do you have evidence to back this up?

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria A Truly Wealthy Nation? See What Economic Facts Say by Speak2klein: 11:01pm On Jan 05, 2020
Congratulations! You’re part of the few doing something in spite of the challenges. You see Nigeria has an installed electricity capacity of 14,000MW for 200m people while MISO (an independent supplier) supplies 155,000MW to 42m people in 15 states in US and one province in Canada.

It’s going to take at least $120b to solve Nigeria’s electricity problem and that would bleed Nigeria dry. However, private investors can fund this. They must be assured of s return in due time and only a few market will encourage that investment.

Starboytwo:
The most important thing to do before we can move forward as a nation is to solve ELECTRICITY problem

We should demand 24 hour electricity from this people, I don't know how but we gotta do something or na like dis e go dey dey...

We need light men...

I'm a young entrepreneur and I make money daily from my business, but I spend 80% of the money on fuel every day and generator maintenance...

Fix electricity and watch our naija "gbera"

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria A Truly Wealthy Nation? See What Economic Facts Say by Gerrard59(m): 11:01pm On Jan 05, 2020
Damsonkc:
Nigeria’s GDP is 1.2 trillion dollars. Where did you get the figures you are quoting? I know our per capital income is above 2k usd. It’s too small but nigeria is not a poor country. We simply have a population problem.

If Nigeria's economy is that figure, she would be gracing the G20 summits every year as a member of the top 20 economies globally and not rely on invites which aren't even consistent. And no, Nigeria does not have a population problem. The OP mentioned China and India which are far more populated Nigeria yet are far richer. He was even lenient by not mentioning Brazil and Indonesia which have similar populations like Nigeria but citizens are richer than Nigerians while economies are bigger than Nigeria's.

@Topic: Hopefully, naysayers get to read and more importantly assimilate these figures because when one tells them that Nigeria is not a rich country and her citizens are poor, they flare up. Regarding solutions, I cannot proffer solutions for problems I did not cause.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Nigeria A Truly Wealthy Nation? See What Economic Facts Say by henrydan(m): 11:02pm On Jan 05, 2020
Daniel058:
Not When General Buhari is leading let's think of the way forward after 2023 , that's if another terrorist isn't taking over .

NA Next LEVEL WE DEY , ALL OF US GO CRY PAY THAT DEPT..NO BODY WILL DIE !

Hate speech

2 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria A Truly Wealthy Nation? See What Economic Facts Say by Speak2klein: 11:03pm On Jan 05, 2020
GDP per capita is really how you measure the wealth of a nation. Luxembourg has a higher GDP than Nigeria.

Mac2016:
GDP in a country with great divide in wealth could be misleading....
For the political stratum Nigeria GDP supercedes that of Luxembourg and it is the best in the world.

For the bourgeois, it is way less than average quoted for Nigeria
Again is Luxembourg sef richer than Norway or the US with less GDP than theirs?

Abeg economists shd get a new measuring criterion...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Nigeria A Truly Wealthy Nation? See What Economic Facts Say by NigeriaEngineer(m): 11:06pm On Jan 05, 2020
Speak2klein:
In 2003, Dangote set out to build his first cement plant with a budget of about $480 million. On completion of the project in 2007, he had borrowed an extra $175 million, built a dam, a gas pipeline (92km long) and more than 400 new houses. But guess what? No Nigerian bank was big enough to fund this project. In fact, the capital in more than 90% of the banks in Nigeria that year was just a little over $20 million. He had to look elsewhere.

Simple economic terms
GDP — in straightforward terms, the GDP or Gross Domestic Product is the monetary value of all finished goods and services in a country within a specific period. It is used to estimate the size of an economy and growth rate.
GDP per capita — If all the money Nigeria made in a year was split evenly amongst every single Nigerian, what each person gets is called the GDP per capita.
National Budget — The government gets money from taxes and fees and spends it on things like healthcare, infrastructure, education and general expenditures.

Nigeria’s economy

Poverty level by State in Nigeria (image 1)
Nigeria has the largest economy in Africa with a GDP of $398 billion compared to its closest competitor; South Africa, which has a GDP of $368 billion. However, the real wealth of a nation is calculated by its GDP per capita, and Nigeria ranked 140 out of 186 in GDP per capita global ranking.
Nigeria’s GDP per capita stands at $1,963 compared to South Africa’s $6,100 and Egypt’s $12,000. (Luxembourg ranks the highest in the world with GDP per capita of $144,000).
Nigeria is one of only 8 ‘World Bank red zones’. These are the only countries on the planet where GDP per capita (an indicator of individual share of wealth) has fallen steadily over the past 20 years.
Nigeria’s budget for the health sector in 2018 was $938 million for a population of over 190 million people compared to South Africa’s $17.6 billion for a population of just 56 million people. This means that as an average Nigerian, the government’s health budget for you for a whole year was just $4.5. Don’t forget the UK which set aside over $250 billion for the healthcare of its citizens in the same year (more than 10x Nigeria’s entire 2018 budget). That means each citizen was entitled to health funds of $4,000.

How did others do it?
You see, money is a coward; when money goes somewhere, and there’s trouble, money runs away. But when it goes to a place, and there is peace, it stays there. You don’t see money go to Iraq or Syria or Afghanistan, but you see it go to the UK, Singapore, London, China, etc. If you scare money, it runs away.

China Poverty Decline from 1981–2005 (image 2)
In a single generation, China has had over 600 million people move out of poverty. Three hundred million people (about the population of the US) move from rural to urban areas every ten years. This is because China is still experiencing its economic take-off phase; this describes a situation where the majority of the working population move from agricultural jobs to tech and industry and move from the country-side to cities.
The level of urbanisation that took place in China in 22 years is equivalent to the UK’s level that took 120 years and USA that took 80 years. So maybe there is hope for Nigeria.

Other Indicators

According to BBC, China produces two (2) new billionaires every week and one million (1,000,000) millionaires every year.
I wanna be a billionaire, billionaire yeah yeah, I wanna be a billionaire, billionaire yeah yeah
(Verse 2)

Meanwhile, according to the NDIC, 98% of Nigerians don’t have up to N500,000 ($1,250) in their accounts. According to Mckinsey & Co, only 2m people in Nigeria have purchasing power and annual incomes over $10,000.

2. In India, the city of Mumbai alone has almost 60,000 millionaires; meanwhile, in Nigeria, there are just 12,300 millionaires in the entire country.

3. One of the measures for the economy and middle class of a society is the records of airport passengers compared to its population. In one year, Nigeria had 15.2 million airport passengers compared to Singapore Changi Airport, which served over 65 million passengers. (Singapore population — 5.6 million). The metropolis of Shenzen alone in China had over 400 million airport passengers in a single year. (Shenzen population — 12.5 million)

4. South Africa’s fourth-largest bank — Nedbank has a market cap of $72 billion. This is bigger than the market cap of all the banks in Nigeria put together, including GTB, Zenith, FirstBank and Ecobank.

So what do we do?
The real wealth of a nation is in its people and like Dangote would say, “Nobody will fix Nigeria for us until we take the lead”. One of the greatest assets that have helped China and India grow is its population.
So is Nigeria a truly wealthy nation? The answer is No. However, it can be so. If an average Nigerian produces half the GDP per capita of the average UK citizen, our GDP will not be $398 billion but $3.9 trillion.

The growth of businesses drives the economy, and therefore, the government must put in place suitable policies to promote business growth. We must increase our productivity as a nation. And it begins with you. Do better, work smarter and grow bigger.
Please comment and share if you find this useful. I am Klein Udumaga.

This article was originally posted on my medium page. Please follow as I shed more light on the Nigerian economy and how to sell to Nigerians.
God bless you sir

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria A Truly Wealthy Nation? See What Economic Facts Say by Speak2klein: 11:08pm On Jan 05, 2020
Nigeria has potentials, so does every other nation. However, you don’t measure potentials by resources but by people. If you compare the quality of mind of an average Nigerian to an average Singaporean, we’re still really not rich.

It can be great though but at this point, there has to be a lot of individual efforts. You and I.

AgamaProf:
You are wrong brother. Nigeria has potentials. But it is unfortunate we have not been able to realise and harness those potentials. To a greater extent, we are better endowed than China, or Saudi Arabia and some other emerging economies. Ask me what is wrong, why are we not at least at par with these advanced countries. Simple. Leadership!. Leadership has let everyone of us down. What has government done about millions and billions of dollars siphoned out of the country, what has government done to improve human capital, in fact we are trying in our educational sector with the little we have had, what has government done to generate revenue from other sources other than oil. When you ask these questions, you begin to get answers. Let's take count of the amount of natural resources Nigeria is endowed with. Logically, we should be better than Saudi, UAE, and competing with the likes of US, Canada and so on. We should be "giant of africa" in the real sense of it. We have resources. A lot of it. We have got the fighting spirit but corruption, and nepotism has brought us on our knees.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Nigeria A Truly Wealthy Nation? See What Economic Facts Say by Gerrard59(m): 11:08pm On Jan 05, 2020
Kalixx:
Nigeria is as poor as sh*t.

You talk about potentials of human capital?

Whether a human's brain works or not, one thing is sure -- his belly would work.

There are so many hungry individuals in this country that are at the same time unproductive -- chiefly because of ignorance, lack of education and tools. They can't create value.

Even the graduates, what can they produce? Yes, what if there are no employers whatsoever? No govt jobs, no private jobs. How do these graduates create value then? Employers, government are in the end, human beings -- and there has to be a strong shift in orientation in order to bring awareness and knowledge to school leavers and graduates to create employment, even if slipshod. There also has to be a balance of goods produced and services. Nowadays, everybody is saying 'Teach me freelancing'. If everyone is an online freelancer, who's producing goods? Reliance on importation would keep dragging us back. We have to think of systemic and the most cost-effective ways to produce the most, with the least efforts. Until then, poverty would ravage this country from pole to pole.

Many literates still view wealth as piece of paper called money, but if that were so they should travel down to Mozambique where they will earn 10 million mozambique dollars and it wont be able to afford toilet roll. We as a nation have very very poor understanding of money, societal structures, wealth creation, factors of production, global trade and economics.

That is why a fresh graduate by default begins to think of a system he can quickly plug himself just to make money and have a roof over his head. This money and economic illiteracy is the reason why we fail so miserably in properly evaluating state leadership and the performance of our rulers by and large.

I have deliberately decided to skip the ubiquitous illiteracy and regressive Northern section of the country, parochial approach to all and sundry and sentimental adoption of religion, even though this is the crucial amplifier to this nation's distress.

But if truly Nigeria would be saved, the south has to play a major role especially in two things: value and education from the very grassroots. And then, that education should beam serious focus on two subjects: history and economics. Schools dont teach economics well enough. Its the most important subject.

Although, I have not had the time to check what economic value will be lost should Northern Nigeria cede from her Southern neighbour but I believe that a region which is poorer than Niger and Chad combined will have no value and should she cede, maybe Southern Nigeria will be classified as a middle income nation. Wild guess. On your other points, you are on point and yes, most Nigerians esp my contemporaries don't understand simple or as Thomas Sowell said, basic economics very well.

4 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria A Truly Wealthy Nation? See What Economic Facts Say by frank417: 11:08pm On Jan 05, 2020
PrecisionFx:

Not corruption and sentiments, resource control and true federalism
Ever wondered why there is poor resource control and why we don't actually practice true federalism?
Re: Is Nigeria A Truly Wealthy Nation? See What Economic Facts Say by Speak2klein: 11:13pm On Jan 05, 2020
Hi, I fell honored. Please follow my medium page. I’ll be sharing insights there. I hope it helps.

kiddapunk:
good evening sir, and what a great read you have here. As an aspiring entrepreneur i find your economic knowledge to be of massive value, so pls can i have your contact so i can get.more infos from you. i'd be really delighted.

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria A Truly Wealthy Nation? See What Economic Facts Say by mrdipye(m): 11:13pm On Jan 05, 2020
It's worth the time used in reading it

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria A Truly Wealthy Nation? See What Economic Facts Say by Speak2klein: 11:14pm On Jan 05, 2020
Please do, with credits. Thank you smiley

tstx:

Permission to repost this on my site..
Re: Is Nigeria A Truly Wealthy Nation? See What Economic Facts Say by Waspy(m): 11:14pm On Jan 05, 2020
Speak2klein:
In 2003, Dangote set out to build his first cement plant with a budget of about $480 million. On completion of the project in 2007, he had borrowed an extra $175 million, built a dam, a gas pipeline (92km long) and more than 400 new houses. But guess what? No Nigerian bank was big enough to fund this project. In fact, the capital in more than 90% of the banks in Nigeria that year was just a little over $20 million. He had to look elsewhere.

Simple economic terms
GDP — in straightforward terms, the GDP or Gross Domestic Product is the monetary value of all finished goods and services in a country within a specific period. It is used to estimate the size of an economy and growth rate.
GDP per capita — If all the money Nigeria made in a year was split evenly amongst every single Nigerian, what each person gets is called the GDP per capita.
National Budget — The government gets money from taxes and fees and spends it on things like healthcare, infrastructure, education and general expenditures.

Nigeria’s economy

Poverty level by State in Nigeria (image 1)
Nigeria has the largest economy in Africa with a GDP of $398 billion compared to its closest competitor; South Africa, which has a GDP of $368 billion. However, the real wealth of a nation is calculated by its GDP per capita, and Nigeria ranked 140 out of 186 in GDP per capita global ranking.
Nigeria’s GDP per capita stands at $1,963 compared to South Africa’s $6,100 and Egypt’s $12,000. (Luxembourg ranks the highest in the world with GDP per capita of $144,000).
Nigeria is one of only 8 ‘World Bank red zones’. These are the only countries on the planet where GDP per capita (an indicator of individual share of wealth) has fallen steadily over the past 20 years.
Nigeria’s budget for the health sector in 2018 was $938 million for a population of over 190 million people compared to South Africa’s $17.6 billion for a population of just 56 million people. This means that as an average Nigerian, the government’s health budget for you for a whole year was just $4.5. Don’t forget the UK which set aside over $250 billion for the healthcare of its citizens in the same year (more than 10x Nigeria’s entire 2018 budget). That means each citizen was entitled to health funds of $4,000.

How did others do it?
You see, money is a coward; when money goes somewhere, and there’s trouble, money runs away. But when it goes to a place, and there is peace, it stays there. You don’t see money go to Iraq or Syria or Afghanistan, but you see it go to the UK, Singapore, London, China, etc. If you scare money, it runs away.

China Poverty Decline from 1981–2005 (image 2)
In a single generation, China has had over 600 million people move out of poverty. Three hundred million people (about the population of the US) move from rural to urban areas every ten years. This is because China is still experiencing its economic take-off phase; this describes a situation where the majority of the working population move from agricultural jobs to tech and industry and move from the country-side to cities.
The level of urbanisation that took place in China in 22 years is equivalent to the UK’s level that took 120 years and USA that took 80 years. So maybe there is hope for Nigeria.

Other Indicators

(Verse 2)

4. South Africa’s fourth-largest bank — Nedbank has a market cap of $72 billion. This is bigger than the market cap of all the banks in Nigeria put together, including GTB, Zenith, FirstBank and Ecobank.

So what do we do?
The real wealth of a nation is in its people and like Dangote would say, “Nobody will fix Nigeria for us until we take the lead”. One of the greatest assets that have helped China and India grow is its population.
So is Nigeria a truly wealthy nation? The answer is No. However, it can be so. If an average Nigerian produces half the GDP per capita of the average UK citizen, our GDP will not be $398 billion but $3.9 trillion.

The growth of businesses drives the economy, and therefore, the government must put in place suitable policies to promote business growth. We must increase our productivity as a nation. And it begins with you. Do better, work smarter and grow bigger.
Please comment and share if you find this useful. I am Klein Udumaga.

This article was originally posted on my medium page. Please follow as I shed more light on the Nigerian economy and how to sell to Nigerians.
@MBuhari @ProfOsinbajo
Re: Is Nigeria A Truly Wealthy Nation? See What Economic Facts Say by Nobody: 11:14pm On Jan 05, 2020
frank417:

Ever wondered why there is poor resource control and why we don't actually practice true federalism?

Because back in 1967, yoruba and hausa ended regional govement n resource control....Over 50 years on, they have ruled nigeria and refused to bring resource control n true federalism back.
Re: Is Nigeria A Truly Wealthy Nation? See What Economic Facts Say by Speak2klein: 11:16pm On Jan 05, 2020
GDP per capita is the better measure. There’s actually a productivity analysis but that’s complex stuff.

[quote author=Hypocrit post=85533347][/quote]

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria A Truly Wealthy Nation? See What Economic Facts Say by Damsonkc(m): 11:18pm On Jan 05, 2020
Gerrard59:

If Nigeria's economy is that figure, she would be gracing the G20 summits every year as a member of the top 20 economies globally and not rely on invites which aren't even consistent. And no, Nigeria does not have a population problem. The OP mentioned China and India which are far more populated Nigeria yet are far richer. He was even lenient by not mentioning Brazil and Indonesia which have similar populations like Nigeria but citizens are richer than Nigerians while economies are bigger than Nigeria's.

@Topic: Hopefully, naysayers get to read and more importantly assimilate these figures because when one tells them that Nigeria is not a rich country and her citizens are poor, they flare up. Regarding solutions, I cannot proffer solutions for problems I did not cause.

There is no point wanting to make a mountain out of a molehill. Google is your friend. Nigeria has always been called the biggest economy in Africa for a reason. Nigeria broke the one trillion barrier over 3 years ago. Being negative about our current situation doesn’t erase the fact. Nigeria’s GDP is 1.2 trillion dollars.
Re: Is Nigeria A Truly Wealthy Nation? See What Economic Facts Say by Speak2klein: 11:19pm On Jan 05, 2020
60,000 millionaires in Mumbai alone sir, not the whole of India. Mumbai’s population is 18.4m

Rosskii:

I don't believe this for a minute.

Considering India have a population of OVER 1 BILLION PEOPLE, it is senseless comparing their number of billionaires with ours. Not that having billionaires means much anyway.

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria A Truly Wealthy Nation? See What Economic Facts Say by Speak2klein: 11:21pm On Jan 05, 2020
I linked reference to the original article on medium. Please check.

yelanst:
Please, provide references for those figures and assertions you dished out
Re: Is Nigeria A Truly Wealthy Nation? See What Economic Facts Say by Gerrard59(m): 11:24pm On Jan 05, 2020
Rosskii:

Dude, those Russian billionaires are the type you would not accept as legit were they to be Nigerian. They are tied to Putin and the Russian aristocracy like bees to honey.

As for France, UK and the rest, they have so many billionaires for the same reason they are richer and more developed, etc, ie because they robbed the entire world of its resources, subjugated its peoples, and cornered their resources over the last 300 years. That cannot possibly be the path for Nigeria to develop, so don't expect us to match them in number of billionaires.

Always looking for excuses. Which country did Singapore invade? China? Malaysia? So being rich and developed involves "robbing peoples' resources"?

2 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria A Truly Wealthy Nation? See What Economic Facts Say by Speak2klein: 11:28pm On Jan 05, 2020
Where did you get this statistics from? Please share undecided

Abagworo:

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Nigeria A Truly Wealthy Nation? See What Economic Facts Say by sulaak(m): 11:30pm On Jan 05, 2020
Starboytwo:
The most important thing to do before we can move forward as a nation is to solve ELECTRICITY problem

We should demand 24 hour electricity from this people, I don't know how but we gotta do something or na like dis e go dey dey...

We need light men...

I'm a young entrepreneur and I make money daily from my business, but I spend 80% of the money on fuel every day and generator maintenance...

Fix electricity and watch our naija "gbera"

Electricity is the easiest problem to solve especially in a country blessed with natural gas, hydroelectric energy and solar energy.

The government will not solve the electricity issues as it is against the supporters of this government and the previous ones. Who will buy the imported kerosene, diesel generators and hurricane lamps if Nigeria has 24/7 electricity?
Re: Is Nigeria A Truly Wealthy Nation? See What Economic Facts Say by suskumayaya(m): 11:31pm On Jan 05, 2020
I feel a lot of people here comment based on patriotism. The actual fact is we have potentials but it has not cascade to any meaningful economic development. Of course, we are better off pre 1999 in all ramifications but we are not even close to where we are suppose to be in the economic development curve.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Nigeria A Truly Wealthy Nation? See What Economic Facts Say by sulaak(m): 11:38pm On Jan 05, 2020
suskumayaya:
I feel a lot of people here comment based on patriotism. The actual fact is we have potentials but it has not cascade to any meaningful economic development. Of course, we are better off pre 1999 in all ramifications but we are not even close to where we are suppose to be in the economic development curve.

Nigeria has the potential to remain poor, because of cultural factors, growing population, insecurity, environmental degradation and too many ethnics groups.

2 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria A Truly Wealthy Nation? See What Economic Facts Say by alezzy13: 11:39pm On Jan 05, 2020
olaboy1:
Nothing wrong with our huge population, we just need to find ways to improve on our productivity.
And it’s something as simple as having 24/7 electricity and this is going to improve the educational sector by 100% which automatically turns into wealth creation. A properly educated person will contribute significantly to our economy.

It’s such a shame the government is not doing enough to fix the power problem. Power sector, agriculture, education and health should take up 75% of our annual budget at least for 5 consecutive years.

For all Nigerians to live comfortably we need to find ways to jerk up our annual budget to 20trillion naira and keep our currency stable and at the same time readjust our taxation system so the high earners pay more.
Nigerian government should make it so easy to walk in to do business by ensuring implementation of capital punishment for bribery and corruption. A society or even a family that doesn't inspire trust and confidence will never prosper.

I agree our population may not necessarily be a problem, but it's growing at an unsustainable rate. We have an excessively young and dependant population (particularly in the north) and the number of individuals engaged in productive venture simply cannot cater for them.

Typical example is our maigurd. This is a man who makes just about 25k/month (salary plus his shoe business) yet he has 2 wives and 6 children. Only two are in school and he's even
struggling to feed the family. Clearly this is not isolated, and it goes without saying that there is NO WAY our economy can improve if this continues.

I don't by any means suggest the brutish one-child policy of China, but we need to do something URGENTLY. Former Zamfara governor Yari called population problem a ticking time bomb. You don't need to be prophet to know he's right.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Latest Scam In Town, Kids As Collateral / GMO Foods: Shoprite, Next Superstores May Be Shut Down By The Federal Government / The Top Five Digital Marketing Agencies In Nigeria: An Unbiased List.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 134
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.