Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,790 members, 7,802,469 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:59 PM

Three Die After Protesting Over Oyo Market Inferno - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Three Die After Protesting Over Oyo Market Inferno (18209 Views)

Breaking!!! Seyi Makinde Wins As PDP Takes Over Oyo (results) / Pdp Is Taking Over Oyo And Ogun State / Governor Fayemi, Others Meets With Alao-akala Over Oyo Elections - Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Three Die After Protesting Over Oyo Market Inferno by EsomahJD: 6:08am On Jan 06, 2020
At least three persons have allegedly been killed in Oyo town following gunshots by security operatives after some people protested against the failure of the fire-fighters in the town to respond to a ravaging fire incident at Akesan Market.

The fire, which started around 2:00 a.m., razed the market, leaving only a few shops and a filling station.

According to eyewitnesses, the fire-fighters, whose station is just opposite the market or some 20 metres away, could not respond.

Also, the Oyo Global Forum, a civic organisation in the ancient town, said: “Only a few shops and a filling station were not affected.

“Unfortunately, the Fire Service based in Oyo and just less than 20 metres to the market could not mobilise to stop the raging fire. The Service said its equipment was not functioning. Fire-fighters had to be mobilised from Ogbomoso Town, 50 kilometres away, after massive damage.

“We condemn this failure of government service. But more concerning is the disproportionate use of force in response to angry residents who were protesting at the gate of the fire service near Akesan in Oyo.

“Ogbomoso fire-fighters are currently fighting the fire and we hope it is stopped before further damage.

“We sympathise with our people, particularly men and women trading at Akesan. It is a sad way to start the year.

“In due course, we will be demanding that Oyo State Government should compensate the traders and rebuild the market, while also enforcing stricter safety standards across the state. We will also not allow the police to get away with the killings in Oyo.”

Meanwhile, the Oyo State Police Command has denied the reports that three people were killed while protesting failure of the fire-fighters in the town to respond to the fire incident.

In a statement by the Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Olugbenga Fadeyi and made available to journalists in Ibadan yesterday, the police said: “Contrary to widely spread news on the fire incident at Akesan Market, there was no single shot from the police personnel in Oyo. Police personnel were deployed immediately to the scene to prevent hoodlums from capitalising on the situation to loot shops and property in the area. Concerted efforts are being intensified to prevent breakdown of law and order.”

However, the state governor, Seyi Makinde, has commiserated with the victims of the fire outbreak and promised to investigate cause of the incident.

Makinde, while reacting through his official Facebook account, said he received the shocking news of the fire outbreak and appealed for calm.

According to him: “I received with shock the news of the fire outbreak at Oja Akesan in Oyo Town in the early hours of this morning. Words cannot convey my deep sadness at this incident and I sympathise with the victims. I appeal for calm as we investigate the circumstances around the unfortunate incident.”
https://m.guardian.ng/news/three-die-after-protesting-over-oyo-market-inferno/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Three Die After Protesting Over Oyo Market Inferno by benpuzzy(m): 6:12am On Jan 06, 2020
Endtime protest.

1 Like

Re: Three Die After Protesting Over Oyo Market Inferno by StaffofOrayan(m): 6:21am On Jan 06, 2020
The clowns that are against revolution now just won't get it, ANY and I repeat ANY protest that is not govt sponsored would be met with LIVE bullets.

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Three Die After Protesting Over Oyo Market Inferno by helinues: 6:29am On Jan 06, 2020
20m from the incidents and no response from Fire fighters..

They should shut it down

2 Likes

Re: Three Die After Protesting Over Oyo Market Inferno by duncun: 6:32am On Jan 06, 2020

3 Likes

Re: Three Die After Protesting Over Oyo Market Inferno by Seventy7kings: 6:49am On Jan 06, 2020
shocked

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Three Die After Protesting Over Oyo Market Inferno by nony43(m): 7:00am On Jan 06, 2020
B

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Three Die After Protesting Over Oyo Market Inferno by itsme01: 7:00am On Jan 06, 2020
cool

Seyi Makinde media team over to you

PDP are the poorest most unqualified Administrators ever, Oyo is slowly being taking back to the days of utter chaos

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Three Die After Protesting Over Oyo Market Inferno by Nobody: 7:01am On Jan 06, 2020
Protest + gunshot = Death.

Use your head this 2020.

You live before you protest.
Re: Three Die After Protesting Over Oyo Market Inferno by VirginSearcher(m): 7:01am On Jan 06, 2020
I'm sure Fulani herdsmen or core Northern terrorists are the ones setting these fires all over the South while they remained untouched

3 Likes

Re: Three Die After Protesting Over Oyo Market Inferno by Nobody: 7:01am On Jan 06, 2020
Shebi GSM is the best gov in south west na

1 Like

Re: Three Die After Protesting Over Oyo Market Inferno by Sweetcollins: 7:01am On Jan 06, 2020
Chai
The real insult upon injury
Re: Three Die After Protesting Over Oyo Market Inferno by jantofubu(m): 7:02am On Jan 06, 2020
grin lol, fire fighters with non functional equipments but they are collecting salary.

Instead of them to go and carry bucket and put the fire out,
As far as ogbomoso is from oyo, their fire fighter had to be deployed
Abeg wetin wetin IBU no go see for nollywood?

The should hold alaafin accountable, his palace is also a stone throw from the market..
Re: Three Die After Protesting Over Oyo Market Inferno by DMerciful(m): 7:02am On Jan 06, 2020
It's more difficult for a dog to die in Canada than for a human being to die in Nigeria! So sad!

1 Like

Re: Three Die After Protesting Over Oyo Market Inferno by Ajibade123(m): 7:03am On Jan 06, 2020
our policemen needs some psychological tests
anyway do you wish to study or work in Australia, Canada or US check my signature for more info
Re: Three Die After Protesting Over Oyo Market Inferno by MariaAngeles: 7:04am On Jan 06, 2020
There is a possibility that these fire incidents in major markets in some states could be deliberate, because it keeps reoccurring .
I wouldn't put it past these people.
In Nigeria, anything is possible.

3 Likes

Re: Three Die After Protesting Over Oyo Market Inferno by feldido(m): 7:04am On Jan 06, 2020
How dare you protest in this country? Don't you know it's a treasonous offense? angry

Our security personnel really needs factory reset
Re: Three Die After Protesting Over Oyo Market Inferno by kolafolabi(m): 7:04am On Jan 06, 2020
Kekereekun123:
Shebi GSM is the best gov in south west na

And what has that gotten to do with him.

12 Likes

Re: Three Die After Protesting Over Oyo Market Inferno by Mutemenot(m): 7:05am On Jan 06, 2020
Oyo people over to you, help the victims the way Anambrarians did to Ochanja fire victims. This is 2020, we shouldn't allow the victims live in pains

2 Likes

Re: Three Die After Protesting Over Oyo Market Inferno by itsme01: 7:07am On Jan 06, 2020
kolafolabi:

And what has that gotten to do with him.

who is the executive administrator of the state?

that is oyetola presenting fire trucks

Makinde only present propaganda

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Three Die After Protesting Over Oyo Market Inferno by betterpikinn: 7:08am On Jan 06, 2020
embarassed
Re: Three Die After Protesting Over Oyo Market Inferno by kolafolabi(m): 7:09am On Jan 06, 2020
itsme01:

who is the executive administrator of the state?

that is oyetola presenting fire trucks

Makinde only present propaganda

Let him pay December 2019 Salaries to workers before I will comment.

3 Likes

Re: Three Die After Protesting Over Oyo Market Inferno by itsme01: 7:11am On Jan 06, 2020
kolafolabi:

Let him pay December 2019 Salaries to workers before I will comment.

Governance is more than paying civil servants salary... civil servants dont even account for 5% of the state population... the remaining 95% need good amenities not just salary

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Three Die After Protesting Over Oyo Market Inferno by Chukwurah003: 7:13am On Jan 06, 2020
StaffofOrayan:
The clowns that are against revolution now just won't get it, ANY and I repeat ANY protest that is not govt sponsored would be met with LIVE bullets.

Which stupid revolution. Anyone calling for violence in Nigeria is simply mad.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Three Die After Protesting Over Oyo Market Inferno by Humphrizy(m): 7:14am On Jan 06, 2020
Dx country matter just tire person undecided
Re: Three Die After Protesting Over Oyo Market Inferno by dollarsplenty(m): 7:17am On Jan 06, 2020
Death license is free in Nigeria. There are many ways to obtain one.

3 people killed just like that and NOTHING will happen. life goes on.

In Nigeria, you are not free to protest.

1 Like

Re: Three Die After Protesting Over Oyo Market Inferno by kolafolabi(m): 7:17am On Jan 06, 2020
itsme01:

Governance is more than paying civil servants salary... civil servants dont even account for 5% of the state population... the remaining 95% need good amenities not just salary

Paying salaries regularly have impacts to the state economy.. Maybe you should ask the market women and men, artisans and the rest. GSM has barely spent 7months in office.. I will only fault the state commander of the fire service, he should have Tabled all what they lack to the Governor and I am sure he will provide everything for them.

5 Likes

Re: Three Die After Protesting Over Oyo Market Inferno by LabDNA: 7:18am On Jan 06, 2020
StaffofOrayan:
Nigerians lost the right to protest when Jona was kicked out for a well-known bloody thirsty military tyrant.

The Governors have studied the buhari oppression experiment and have declared it succesful and are adopting the same methodology to their advantage.

I'm sorry, even the next person that will succeed buhari will also adopt the same method, since it worked for buhari. Even I won't allow any protest to take place, if I succeed Buhari.

You can't hide your tails between your legs during buhari's regime and then decide start protesting during my own administration. I'll crack down heavily on you and wait for the heavens for fall. Of course I know it won't fall. It didn't fall during buhari's regime, it won't fall in mine.

Buhari has succesfully taken away your rights to protest. Occupy Nigeria during GEJ is last ever mass protest that will ever happen in this country.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Coronavirus: FG To Restrict Foreign Airlines To Lagos, Abuja Airports / COVID-19: Governor Obaseki Extends Curfew In Edo By 14 Days (Video) / OBIdients Organize Free Tutorial Classes For Northern Women & Children (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.