Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,297 members, 7,808,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:07 AM

The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience (41860 Views)

Wholesale Iphone Screens At Good Price You Can Buy And Resell / We Do DIESEL Supply For The Best Price You Can Get Anywhere / How To Pay For Facebook And Instagram Ads (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience by micronut(m): 1:38pm On Jan 06, 2020
A local woman was to roof her house, she had sent for quotations from different carpenters for roofing sheets. She got many and went for the cheapest.

Then she asked the Carpenter with the cheapest workmanship where she can get the cheapest price of the roofing sheet.

Well, madam, Iginla Stores sell at good and affordable price, one of the best in Ile-Ife, and possibly Osun state – The Carpenter explained.

Not satisfied, the woman having mobilized how planks would get to the site and roofing is about to commence asked the Carpenter to follow her to town to check different prices.

Worried but not discouraged, the Carpenter took the woman around three building material shops in town and eventually the stopped at Iginla. The woman still believes it will be cheaper somewhere else, a bundle of iron sheets at Ile-Ife at N26,000 must be cheap else where.

May be Ibadan, Yes, Ibadan will be fine.

She called a friend where they sell roofing sheets in Ibadan.

Go to Ogunpa Market, She was told.

Oh. I know all those best places in that market, because you need to be wise make dem no scam you oo. If no because of my work today, I would have followed you ma. – The carpenter advised.

Haa, No ooo. You must follow me oo. Please, don’t be disturbed, I will give you your daily labor work. You know all these sellers are thieves, some of them make unimaginable gains, I would never be their mugu. You see those planks, and almost everything on my site, I source them myself. One needs to be wise you know. Lol – Madam narrated!

Then, they headed for Ibadan with a rented truck.

On arriving the busy market, the Carpenter having been used to many of the sellers was greeted and welcomed to the big warehouse.

Immediately, the sales boy ask, Egbon se gbele ni abi normal? (Is it high grade or normal?) The carpenter said gbele ni oo…. (We want high grade).

Well, we sell high grade at 25,000. Normal at N23,000.

The madam asked what is wrong with the Normal?

Nothing, just the different makers – The Sales guy explained.

No be to roof house make e no leak? Please give us the N23,000 per bundle. We are buying 20 bundles.

Meanwhile, All the roofing sheets categorized are same. The grading is in pricing to charge and not in quality of the material.

When an artisan goes to a shop to buy, he buys at customers price – Mostly the last price the business shops can offer. They are stakeholders especially as businesses put their small cut when selling.

When you are not an artisan, you buy at regular or normal market price. If they sell a lamp holder to an electrician at N150, the normal price may be N200 if you go as the owner.

But if owner follows artisans, to market to price and buy, most often, what you get is high grade price unsuspectingly. A lamp holder goes to 250, and any removal depends on artisans price hackling power. Many times, artisans allow sellers to make more gain, on the stubborn owner that follows them and they come back behind to collect the little gains.

Well, the madam transferred and paid, and while the carpenter assisted in carrying them out, he requested for the seller’s fone no openly so he can call next time In case he sees no customer .

Well, It is coded! He isn’t asking for phone no but account no. Lol

He got a paper and put his account no.

Before they reached Ikire, he got transferred.

N3000 on every bundle on 20 bundles.

That’s N60,000.

The bundle price was actually 20,000.

The woman thought she bought at a better price in Ibadan at N23,000 instead of N26,000 at Ife. Lol

The carpenter got home still got paid by the woman as daily labor money.

He narrated the ordeal!

Lessons:

1. There is a price we pay for trying not to be cheated when dealing with Nigerian Artisans. Being too wise can be costly too.

2. It's mere foolishness to think you can outsmart an artisan or any professional in their field.

If you don't trust an artisan and his/her price, go elsewhere. Never be tempted to try buy materials for yourself.

Worse still, you source for materials and they tell you you bought inferior ones to make you feel bad and exonerate themselves if whatever they did got spoilt fast - Oluwapelumi Awotedu.

Source: https://naijalocals.com.ng/the-price-you-pay-for-looking-for-cheap-things/

89 Likes 19 Shares

Re: The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience by PointZerom: 8:35pm On Jan 06, 2020
If you don't trust an artisan and his/her price, go elsewhere. Never be tempted to try buy materials for yourself".

I disagree with you on this. I buy almost everything by myself. All I needed from him is the type of material he wants and if I make my purchase and he rejects it I will tell him to use it like that or fvck out.

I am into building materials two of my senior brothers are into auto parts and electronics/electrical parts so it is almost impossible for any artisan to beat me in the game.

87 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience by FuckAllTheMODs: 8:35pm On Jan 06, 2020
Nonsense, nothing like the price you pay for blah blah blah...

If you know the right place to get the goods/products and how to go about it, then you're good to go and also if you get good workmen and ensure you monitor them when buying the goods/products.
I would have given you one important scope to use when going to the market to get materials for work with your workman but I don't want to spoil their biz.

It seems you don't know that some of these workmen use substandard goods/products to do work even when the owners of the works pay them well

54 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience by uzoormah(m): 8:35pm On Jan 06, 2020
Re: The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience by arantess: 8:35pm On Jan 06, 2020
Nigerian artisans get issues well well

5 Likes

Re: The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience by Wayne4uall(m): 8:36pm On Jan 06, 2020
Too long

In one word

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience by Enoch07: 8:36pm On Jan 06, 2020
tell them
Re: The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience by Wayne4uall(m): 8:36pm On Jan 06, 2020
uzoormah:

Get A life

This is 2020
Re: The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience by Sunofgod(m): 8:36pm On Jan 06, 2020
Everything in naija na wayo...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience by Ndibunna: 8:36pm On Jan 06, 2020
Story
Re: The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience by uzoormah(m): 8:37pm On Jan 06, 2020
Wayne4uall:

Get A life
This is 2020
Sherrap

15 Likes

Re: The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience by GuestLog: 8:37pm On Jan 06, 2020
Ok
Re: The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience by SEGLIZ: 8:37pm On Jan 06, 2020
Re: The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience by Wayne4uall(m): 8:38pm On Jan 06, 2020
uzoormah:

Sherrap
getrarahere

1 Like

Re: The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience by Yewandequeen(f): 8:38pm On Jan 06, 2020
undecided
Re: The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience by kikilove(f): 8:38pm On Jan 06, 2020
This story is actually true oh cause it happened to one of my friend but the electrician told the seller that he brought her here to make her own choice not cause she was stubborn grin grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience by Lynx001: 8:38pm On Jan 06, 2020
Re: The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience by realstars: 8:39pm On Jan 06, 2020
Its remains me when my boss ask me to buy camera head cleaner, he went with me and we play a sharp business with the sales boy and he know not.

2 Likes

Re: The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience by Rapmoney(m): 8:39pm On Jan 06, 2020
Sometimes, the price you pay for pursuing cheap things is greater than what you pay to get things at their normal prices.

I'd rather buy a shirt for 7k that has good quality than buy an inferior one that goes for 1.5k. The reason is that the one that goes for 1.5k may not last more than two months.

17 Likes

Re: The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience by Daviddson(m): 8:39pm On Jan 06, 2020
Why do immature people feign maturity by throwing jabs at other people who book space in order to make a comment? grin

5 Likes

Re: The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience by Theenchanter2: 8:40pm On Jan 06, 2020
True....
Re: The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience by dangotesmummy: 8:40pm On Jan 06, 2020
Kilarigbo?
Re: The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience by Theenchanter2: 8:40pm On Jan 06, 2020
Wayne4uall:
Too long

In one word
no dey do aroro.

2 Likes

Re: The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience by sheriffindy(m): 8:40pm On Jan 06, 2020
OK na
Re: The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience by erico2k2(m): 8:41pm On Jan 06, 2020
micronut:
A local woman was to roof her house, she had sent for quotations from different carpenters for roofing sheets. She got many and went for the cheapest.

Then she asked the Carpenter with the cheapest workmanship where she can get the cheapest price of the roofing sheet.

Well, madam, Iginla Stores sell at good and affordable price, one of the best in Ile-Ife, and possibly Osun state – The Carpenter explained.

Not satisfied, the woman having mobilized how planks would get to the site and roofing is about to commence asked the Carpenter to follow her to town to check different prices.

Worried but not discouraged, the Carpenter took the woman around three building material shops in town and eventually the stopped at Iginla. The woman still believes it will be cheaper somewhere else, a bundle of iron sheets at Ile-Ife at N26,000 must be cheap else where.

May be Ibadan, Yes, Ibadan will be fine.

She called a friend where they sell roofing sheets in Ibadan.

Go to Ogunpa Market, She was told.

Oh. I know all those best places in that market, because you need to be wise make dem no scam you oo. If no because of my work today, I would have followed you ma. – The carpenter advised.

Haa, No ooo. You must follow me oo. Please, don’t be disturbed, I will give you your daily labor work. You know all these sellers are thieves, some of them make unimaginable gains, I would never be their mugu. You see those planks, and almost everything on my site, I source them myself. One needs to be wise you know. Lol – Madam narrated!

Then, they headed for Ibadan with a rented truck.

On arriving the busy market, the Carpenter having been used to many of the sellers was greeted and welcomed to the big warehouse.

Immediately, the sales boy ask, Egbon se gbele ni abi normal? (Is it high grade or normal?) The carpenter said gbele ni oo…. (We want high grade).

Well, we sell high grade at 25,000. Normal at N23,000.

The madam asked what is wrong with the Normal?

Nothing, just the different makers – The Sales guy explained.

No be to roof house make e no leak? Please give us the N23,000 per bundle. We are buying 20 bundles.

Meanwhile, All the roofing sheets categorized are same. The grading is in pricing to charge and not in quality of the material.

When an artisan goes to a shop to buy, he buys at customers price – Mostly the last price the business shops can offer. They are stakeholders especially as businesses put their small cut when selling.

When you are not an artisan, you buy at regular or normal market price. If they sell a lamp holder to an electrician at N150, the normal price may be N200 if you go as the owner.

But if owner follows artisans, to market to price and buy, most often, what you get is high grade price unsuspectingly. A lamp holder goes to 250, and any removal depends on artisans price hackling power. Many times, artisans allow sellers to make more gain, on the stubborn owner that follows them and they come back behind to collect the little gains.

Well, the madam transferred and paid, and while the carpenter assisted in carrying them out, he requested for the seller’s fone no openly so he can call next time In case he sees no customer .

Well, It is coded! He isn’t asking for phone no but account no. Lol

He got a paper and put his account no.

Before they reached Ikire, he got transferred.

N3000 on every bundle on 20 bundles.

That’s N60,000.

The bundle price was actually 20,000.

The woman thought she bought at a better price in Ibadan at N23,000 instead of N26,000 at Ife. Lol

The carpenter got home still got paid by the woman as daily labor money.

He narrated the ordeal!

Lessons:

1. There is a price we pay for trying not to be cheated when dealing with Nigerian Artisans. Being too wise can be costly too.

2. It's mere foolishness to think you can outsmart an artisan or any professional in their field.

If you don't trust an artisan and his/her price, go elsewhere. Never be tempted to try buy materials for yourself.

Worse still, you source for materials and they tell you you bought inferior ones to make you feel bad and exonerate themselves if whatever they did got spoilt fast - Oluwapelumi Awotedu.

Source: https://naijalocals.com.ng/the-price-you-pay-for-looking-for-cheap-things/
These kinds of carpenters will always be the underdog when it comes to roofing, they can't even roof their own houses, be honest and see how Nature makes its way in your life in your chosen profession!

21 Likes

Re: The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience by Crossbow(m): 8:41pm On Jan 06, 2020
grin
Re: The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience by Archangels2(m): 8:41pm On Jan 06, 2020
Very true my dear
Re: The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience by Youngsage: 8:41pm On Jan 06, 2020
*Yawns* undecided

O

K

!
!
!
Re: The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience by Sunijacks(m): 8:41pm On Jan 06, 2020
Greed

Untill we get rid of greed nothing changes

6 Likes

Re: The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience by IneedSugarMumy1(m): 8:41pm On Jan 06, 2020
I read it all

But you're the carpenter I know

Oya send me 5k out of the 60k PR else I go cast you

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience by Tonymegabush1(m): 8:42pm On Jan 06, 2020
Sure.... I have been buying building material since my university days, artisan no dey follow me go anywhere once am sourcing for material the last time i could not believe i manage invite my carpenter to an aluminium company after much negotiating i called the carpenter to come and witness the cutting and folding, after much work done time to load my materials unknowing to me my items were not complete worth 50k i never knew i went to my site with the ones they gave me. Next day carpenter started work doing their normal roofing with me doing my normal observation 2days later carpenter called telling me those roofing sheet wasnt enuf that they have made another list of the remaining items that i should come and collect so they could finish their work the next day after some minutes of talking i hang up, i called the guy that gave me the roofing measurement who i paid 10k he told me he will call me leta in the evening that he was busy, leta that day the guy called me we got talking i told him situation on ground he told me that i should hold those carpenter responsible that their is no way the measurement he gave me wnt b enuf well for us not to talk much he promise to visit the site the next day which he did after much checking he saw my invoice and noticed my items were not complete he told me to head bck there thatz if they will agree lucky for me on reaching the owner of the company was around he nearly sack the cashier that day my roofing sheet was cut and handed over to me with apologies oooo.

Turning point for me was my carpenter calling the cashier informing her of my coming and the cashier telling me too that my carpenter called her so i suspected something fishy the girl billed me 100k+ for the remaining items which drove me mad and greediness too on the part of the cashier and machine operator they never included their co workers on the deal, the company has a strategy of issuing 3 receipt, the cashier, the stock keeper and the security man, both the stock keeper and the security knew nothing about so sign on what i went out with.....

For intending house owner during roofing never work with a lone carpenter, involve 2 or more and try to ask question too

22 Likes

Re: The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience by iHart(m): 8:42pm On Jan 06, 2020
It's mere foolishness to think you can outsmart an artisan or any professional in their field.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

6 Ways To Make Money In Nigeria This Christmas / "I Deposited N167K But Was Credited With N1.67M" - Man (photos) / Man Gets A Car For Returning N53m Mistakenly Paid Into His Account By The Govt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.