Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,927 members, 7,803,017 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 07:30 AM

Tips For Every Artist That Wants To Be Signed To "Zanku Music & Marlian Records" - Music Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Music Business / Tips For Every Artist That Wants To Be Signed To "Zanku Music & Marlian Records" (2163 Views)

Get Signed To A Record Label Today / Get Signed To A Record Label Today With Sparkling Benefits / This Music Is About To Be Signed, Judge If Its Good To Go... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tips For Every Artist That Wants To Be Signed To "Zanku Music & Marlian Records" by Oyinlomosulley(m): 5:14pm On Jan 06, 2020
Getting offered a record deal by any of these labels owned by an artist is a “Catch 22”. Let’s say you do build that massive following on social media (50-100k) and record labels come sniffing for your secret sauce. They’re going to buy you weed, take you to the Spotify offices, and tell you you’re the coolest guy/gal in the whole world. They’re going to make you feel like your time has arrived; all you’ve got to do is take it to the next level…

Signing this kind of record deals is not the fantastic thrill ride of success and admiration that it is reported to be.

How do I know?

Well, currently, I will point out numerous amazing talents that are being courted by major labels and also during the past that are not even close to relevance in this industry. "Peruzzi of DMW, Terri of Starboy Entertainment, Dammy Krane of Hypertek, Dice Ailes of Chocolate City, Skibii of Five Star Music, King Perry of Dem Mama Records, Oladips of LRR, Seriki of Alapomeji Ancestral Records, Lyta of YBNL, etc. Have I cataloged the details of every record deal and major label career in the past 15 years? No, absolutely not. I’m sure there are exceptions. But, I’ve seen enough. More than enough.

The industry is dirty. The mechanisms of this record industry are exploitative and detrimental to creative people. Whatever ounce of passion and stardust pushes professionals into this career quickly vanishes, only to be replaced by distant cynicism.

Labels aren’t looking to develop a business around a profitable product. That’s not specific enough. They are looking for blinding, obscene, almost nauseating levels of fame and success. So, they are willing to churn and burn 99 creative souls in order to find 1 artist they can test against hundreds of others. They don’t care to help you grow a profitable business with your 10-100k fans.

What you didn’t know, was that for the past 12 months, Naira Marley & Zlatan have been developing themselves as a young Afro-pop shiny stars. Don't ever think you are going to be the biggest artist of the 21st century under a label owned by another artist, he is. You’re just a threat. When you started poking your head out of the ground, your fate was sealed.

They (Marlian Records/Zanku Music) could have ignored you, yes. They could have left you and your family alone. But, with you making waves on social media, one of their two competitors would definitely have signed you. Then, you would be in direct competition with their shiny glory. So, they are more than willing to outbid their competitors to get you into a gigantic record deal. Take for example; DMW or Starboy records. Do you ever think any of the acts signed under this label will be bigger than the boss himself?? My dear, it can't happen! You can't be bigger than Davido or Wizkid under their own label, instead, you will be lured into writing more hit songs for them. All these don't just happen at the labels I mentioned only. It happens everywhere, for as long as the boss is also an artist, take a look around yourself.

I want to clearly say that music labels are a fundamentally necessary component in music production. A lot of my top artists would likely not exist had they never been discovered by their labels. While artists and labels share a symbiotic relationship that is essential in each other’s goal to produce music, the reality is that artists that are signed under another artist might never reach their full potential.

If eventually you are been approached by this kind of label before you sign on the dotted line, make sure you actually understand what you're signing, so your dreams of fame and fortune don't turn into a nightmare. Here are five (5) tips every artist should consider before signing their first recording contract.

1. Watch out for contracts with an initial term lasting more than one year

Typically, the initial length of a recording contract is one year. This one year term is generally followed by several option periods, where the record label is free to renew your contract for additional time periods if they like the work you're producing. By limiting the length of your contract to one year, not including option periods, you prevent a record label from effectively controlling your life and creative work for an unreasonable amount of time.

You never know where your career will take you, and it's important to keep your options open. I've seen unscrupulous record labels use five- and even 10-year terms, locking their artists into long-term contracts that destroy their artists' creative lives and financial futures. Before signing that contract, make sure the record label isn't locking you into a lengthy contract with no escape.

2. How Much Will The Label Invest in You?

I try to get as much clarity as possible on this topic, in terms of actual budget commitments from the label. This includes amounts budgeted for music videos, tour support, recording, radio promotion, and more. Your label may be hesitant to commit to actual numbers until they see how the records perform, but this is where you need a good entertainment lawyer advocating on your behalf.

3. Get a release commitment

Without a release commitment from the record label, you'll have no guarantees that the label will actually do the work to get your album produced, packaged, and distributed to the public for sale. A typical release commitment is a promise from the record label that will release at least one album during your initial contract term. If you record the necessary tracks for a record and the label fails to release the record, you should then be allowed to walk away from the contract.

In addition, you should think about negotiating minimum marketing spend as a part of your release commitment. This gives the record label some "skin in the game" when producing your album, forcing them to actually spend money to market your creativity, making your hard work pay off.

4. Make sure your royalty rate is reasonable

Although royalty rates differ wildly based upon an artist's notoriety and past success, there's a general ballpark number for royalty rates that every artist should know. For new artists with little-to-no notoriety, a royalty rate of five to 10 percent is typical. Up-and-coming artists generally see between 10 and 14 percent royalty rates, while seasoned professionals can bring in as much as 18 percent in royalties.

Don't let a record label convince you that a one or two percent royalty rate is the industry standard. Some record labels prey upon unsuspecting artists by offering relatively large upfront signing bonuses, giving their artists an initial feeling of success. But in return, the contract gives the artist a paltry royalty rate, ensuring that the label – not the artist – will reap all the long-term rewards of artistic success.

5. Watch out for hidden royalty deductions

Even if your royalty rate is reasonable, keep your eyes peeled for hidden royalty deductions. Before paying you even one Naira in royalties, the record label is typically allowed to recoup much of its expenses through so-called "deductions." Standard deductions include recording costs, video production costs, and other similar costs.

But some record labels sneak in abhorrent and enormous royalty deductions that all but guarantee you'll never receive a royalty check. Watch out for deductions based upon the record label's general costs of doing business, like the deduction of record label owners' salaries and benefits. You should also keep your eyes peeled for deductions that give the label a blank check, like unlimited deductions for travel, hotel stays, car rental, meals and entertainment, and other costs that a devious record label could use to rack up a lavish tab at your expense.

Congratulations if you’ve reached the stage of getting signed. Make sure there are no future surprises in your career.

Author

Oyinlomo Sulley

oyinlomosule@gmail.com

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tips For Every Artist That Wants To Be Signed To "Zanku Music & Marlian Records" by Raymondrite: 5:24pm On Jan 06, 2020
A FEMALE COMPUTER OPERATOR URGENTLY NEEDED
A decent female computer operator needed in a business center .
Must be skilled in Microsoft Office Packages, Corel draw.
Qualification: SSCE/ OND
Salary: 17k - 20k
Must reside around Ibeju- Lekki Lagos
Accommodation available if not staying within.
Call: 08126083622
Re: Tips For Every Artist That Wants To Be Signed To "Zanku Music & Marlian Records" by Baddybos: 7:23pm On Jan 06, 2020
Word!! This is deep and it’s pure reality. You see there are no record labels in Nigeria. Only management record labels. I respect don jazzy. That’s the only company close to an actual record label in Nigeria

You see starboy Terri can never rise to even the height of rema. Heard he dropped out from unilag but for what exactly?? Live in the same house with wizkid?? Guess terri’s manager. Lol it’s one of wizkids guy Willy bang. What experience does he have in this industry. But when banky signed wizkid he was given an actual manager.
I won’t blame wiz. Some in fact almost every youth out there will jump on it. Cos of unemployment and the rate of poverty in this economy.

Mayorkun still rents house, Peruzzi also. None of them can boast of a land. Dmw is even a mess full of thugs and street guys. How will a pure talent develop around vampires?? You will be drained and thrown out or you blend and sink in. Who you wan blow pass?? Pass davido?? For where dem dey?? Look at yonda even lil frosh, idowest.

Nigerian music industry is now a monopolistic competition run by wizkid and davido. And non is ready to surrender their crown. All other are just below. No one is really hitting it.

I can hear marlians shouting at the back even kiss Daniel or kizz fans. But what they don’t know is wiz and davido has to merge camp with any shining star. Look at when kizz came n blew n all the girls were shouting the new star. Wizkid sharply remixed his song. Lol for free. See when rema and fireboy came, wiz sharply started tweeting support lol. See when naira marley took over. Wiz did his thing, n now Wiz became the only artist naira marley is following on Twitter. Same with davido too, singing ur song loudly in a club.

Omo this thing now ehn. Is a monopoly like Nike and adidas. But my advice to people already in it. Get as much money as u can. Real money. Use that opportunity to study abroad. Invest in real estate. Hold ur ground cos I see no one overthrowing wizkid and davido. The rest will come n go.

One love

2 Likes

Re: Tips For Every Artist That Wants To Be Signed To "Zanku Music & Marlian Records" by Dygmusick(m): 8:30pm On Jan 22, 2020
Nice

(1) (Reply)

. / Massive Promotion For Artiste / If You Are An Upcomihg Artist Drop Your Contact So We Contact You For Deal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.