Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,626 members, 7,801,811 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 11:54 PM

How To Check The Expiry Date Of Your Gas Cylinder To Avoid Explosion - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How To Check The Expiry Date Of Your Gas Cylinder To Avoid Explosion (61155 Views)

My Gas Cylinder Was Stolen Tonight / Couple Died In Explosion In Abule Ado, Lagos (Photos) / Don't Shake A Gas Cylinder To Know The Level Of Its Content. Its Dangerous(pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Check The Expiry Date Of Your Gas Cylinder To Avoid Explosion by Eaglesence: 9:16pm On Jun 23, 2021
[quote author=Drone95 post=103022120]My gas cylinder has D 30 on it grin[/quot

D30 = Death date 3030 grin

1 Like

Re: How To Check The Expiry Date Of Your Gas Cylinder To Avoid Explosion by itubaba001: 9:16pm On Jun 23, 2021
Interesting pieces . Can I can tell categorically that 80% of cylinders used out there are rusting . And I can still say try are in good condition .what matter most is to avoid leakage which usually result from bad burners heads , or valves
Re: How To Check The Expiry Date Of Your Gas Cylinder To Avoid Explosion by folake4u(f): 9:18pm On Jun 23, 2021
Nice one.
Thank you for this informative thread.
Re: How To Check The Expiry Date Of Your Gas Cylinder To Avoid Explosion by Myketuale(m): 9:18pm On Jun 23, 2021
Nice infor
Thanks OP
Re: How To Check The Expiry Date Of Your Gas Cylinder To Avoid Explosion by Emmaomotob(m): 9:23pm On Jun 23, 2021
HeadNigga:
As important as this post is, it will not get up to 30,000 views in the next two years... something that could save peoples' lives

But if it's about sucking dick on bbnaija it will get 60,000 views in less than 4hours
You cannot blame people for choosing an entertaining topic over one inducing fear. The problem with topics like this is how hard it is to separate the profit motive from science. Apart from rusting, I do not see why a gas cylinder should expire. Old cylinders if kept from rusting are more likely to be sturdier due to quality reduction following increasing cost of production. As long as you buy quality gas, avoid leakage and avoid fueling above cylinder's capacity, all should be well and good.

3 Likes

Re: How To Check The Expiry Date Of Your Gas Cylinder To Avoid Explosion by NacoAba: 9:28pm On Jun 23, 2021
Good.. thanks for the information
Re: How To Check The Expiry Date Of Your Gas Cylinder To Avoid Explosion by NWAZURUMEE: 9:29pm On Jun 23, 2021
ok thanks
Re: How To Check The Expiry Date Of Your Gas Cylinder To Avoid Explosion by Kingosytex(m): 9:33pm On Jun 23, 2021
nochyemish:
So are you saying we are going to be buy like 4 cylinder in a year, 1 per quarter?

Read well.
He never said so.
Re: How To Check The Expiry Date Of Your Gas Cylinder To Avoid Explosion by freemi(m): 9:35pm On Jun 23, 2021
binary007:
Everyday I leave in fear of my Gas cylinder exploding.

I just can't shake the feeling off as much as I would love to
that's why I have been using stove. Serious I just can't ..at least for now.
Re: How To Check The Expiry Date Of Your Gas Cylinder To Avoid Explosion by encryptjay(m): 9:47pm On Jun 23, 2021
kenex4ever:
this is not not true.

Thanks for the clarification.

1 Like

Re: How To Check The Expiry Date Of Your Gas Cylinder To Avoid Explosion by AleleOgor(m): 9:58pm On Jun 23, 2021
Well spoken
Re: How To Check The Expiry Date Of Your Gas Cylinder To Avoid Explosion by Cherez: 10:00pm On Jun 23, 2021
Thanks bro
GOD BLESS YOU
Re: How To Check The Expiry Date Of Your Gas Cylinder To Avoid Explosion by Bahamas95(m): 10:02pm On Jun 23, 2021
Very informative.
OP what if you carry out regular maintenance on the cylinder like my customer instructed, will it still be risky?

After some time of using I usually take it to him to spray. You won't even know it's an old cylinder cos it's a perfect job.
Re: How To Check The Expiry Date Of Your Gas Cylinder To Avoid Explosion by Chochovini: 10:04pm On Jun 23, 2021
Pauldollars:

You can buy a gas cylinder and pipe it from outside your house. It doesn't have to be indoors
. Of course, at the mercy of thieves ba?

4 Likes

Re: How To Check The Expiry Date Of Your Gas Cylinder To Avoid Explosion by Zzyy(m): 10:15pm On Jun 23, 2021
Omo we have been using our gas cylinder before Dem born me o
Re: How To Check The Expiry Date Of Your Gas Cylinder To Avoid Explosion by nathpope(m): 10:15pm On Jun 23, 2021
nochyemish:
So are you saying we are going to be buy like 4 cylinder in a year, 1 per quarter?

Stay class, u nor go gree. Na to dey jump fence upandan. U C ya laif

3 Likes

Re: How To Check The Expiry Date Of Your Gas Cylinder To Avoid Explosion by prestigiouslady: 10:22pm On Jun 23, 2021
On my 12.5kg cylinder, its written "tested 07/2017"...hope I'm safe??
I bought it April of 2018 though
Re: How To Check The Expiry Date Of Your Gas Cylinder To Avoid Explosion by OChimex: 10:26pm On Jun 23, 2021
Humphrizy:
Majority of people using cooking gas don't know that their gas cylinder has an expiry date. They don't know when the gas cylinders will expire and when it does, it can results to leakage that can lead to explosion. There have been many cases of gas cylinder explosions and when this happens, lives are lost and properties worth millions are also lost in the fire that follows. So many lives have been lost and this is a call to concern.

According to a State Coordinator, Standard Organisation of Nigeria [SON], “If a cylinder of 12kg explodes, it is capable of bringing down a two storey building. Cooking gas cylinders must not exceed five (5) years.” According to the SON Director, most people using gas cylinders hardly remember when it was bought. Once you discover that your gas cylinder has expired, stop using it in order to avoid explosion.

This is the process to verify the expiry date of the LPG cylinder
The expiry date of cooking gas cylinder can be found on one of the metal strips that connect the body of the cylinder to top ring (handle). It is printed or pasted on the inner side of the strip. Alphabets from A to D is painted on it along with a number. The process of decoding the expiry date is very simple. The alphabet A, B, C, D represents the month it will expire while the number beside it indicates the year the gas cylinder will expire.

A year is divided into four quarters which are:
A – January to March
B – April to June
C – July to September
D – October to December
The letters represent the month of expiry while the number indicates the year of expiry.
For example, if a cylinder has ‘B 20′ printed on the metal strip. The letter B represents month June, and 20 indicates the year 2020. So a cylinder having B 20 mentioned on it means it will expire in June 2020.

After the expiry date, a gas cylinder has a grace period of 3 - 4 months because the cylinder cannot be extracted immediately out of the circulation. There have been several reports on how distributors tamper with the expiry date because they are written with paint. When next you buy or receive a gas cylinder, make sure you check the expiry date and stay safe.

Thank you. But I want understand this. You said the 4 letters stand for the quarters of the year. So why then is B for June? Instead of B for April - June?
Re: How To Check The Expiry Date Of Your Gas Cylinder To Avoid Explosion by Nobody: 10:27pm On Jun 23, 2021
prestigiouslady:
On my 12.5kg cylinder, its written "tested 07/2017"...hope I'm safe??
I bought it April of 2018 though

You are very safe. The cylinders are meant to be tested once every 10 years.

1 Like

Re: How To Check The Expiry Date Of Your Gas Cylinder To Avoid Explosion by imagrg(m): 10:27pm On Jun 23, 2021
Interesting
Re: How To Check The Expiry Date Of Your Gas Cylinder To Avoid Explosion by AGBOKOJO(m): 10:27pm On Jun 23, 2021
Re: How To Check The Expiry Date Of Your Gas Cylinder To Avoid Explosion by Nobody: 10:28pm On Jun 23, 2021
OChimex:

Thank you. But I want understand this. You said the 4 letters stand for the quarters of the year. So why then is B for June? Instead of B for April - June?

End of the sequence. The B sequence ends in June, same way the A sequence will read March because it ends in March.

1 Like

Re: How To Check The Expiry Date Of Your Gas Cylinder To Avoid Explosion by Nobody: 10:34pm On Jun 23, 2021
gurunlocker:
You go see some cylinder for gas station wey be say na grace dey hold the cylinder..... Everything go don peel, e go dey shake and people go still dey use am like that.
Honestly, sometimes I wonder if people who use such cylinders value their lives at all
Re: How To Check The Expiry Date Of Your Gas Cylinder To Avoid Explosion by Govocrete: 10:48pm On Jun 23, 2021
Hope this was not a sponsor ad by cylinder dealers. This would have been useful if expired cylinders are exchange for free.

People are struggling to refill their gas when its finish, now you are advising them to get a new cylinder every now and then.

nochyemish:
Re: How To Check The Expiry Date Of Your Gas Cylinder To Avoid Explosion by SirBunky85(m): 10:48pm On Jun 23, 2021
olarent:
I check mine now,I could not found the code A,B,C and D there.what I found was F/Y and 11/15. I bought it in year 2016.
lol,this is a case file off confusional conference
Re: How To Check The Expiry Date Of Your Gas Cylinder To Avoid Explosion by Nobody: 10:57pm On Jun 23, 2021
SirBunky85:
lol,this is a case file off confusional conference

Different codes from different standards organizations. We also have foreign used cylinders in circulation here as well e.g from India et al
Re: How To Check The Expiry Date Of Your Gas Cylinder To Avoid Explosion by Nobody: 10:57pm On Jun 23, 2021
olarent:
I check mine now,I could not found the code A,B,C and D there.what I found was F/Y and 11/15. I bought it in year 2016.

Your cylinder was tested November 2015. Next test date should be anytime from year 2025. You are safe sir cool
Re: How To Check The Expiry Date Of Your Gas Cylinder To Avoid Explosion by peter8535: 11:16pm On Jun 23, 2021
This rule mustly apply 2 all cepsa and transparent cylinder..if u are usin iron cylinder and d body is stil intact u shouldn't be worry abt dat
Re: How To Check The Expiry Date Of Your Gas Cylinder To Avoid Explosion by RichieMichie: 11:47pm On Jun 23, 2021
Re: How To Check The Expiry Date Of Your Gas Cylinder To Avoid Explosion by owunabastard: 11:59pm On Jun 23, 2021
Where can one check his cylinder for leakage
Re: How To Check The Expiry Date Of Your Gas Cylinder To Avoid Explosion by seunfly: 1:35am On Jun 24, 2021
Humphrizy:
Majority of people using cooking gas don't know that their gas cylinder has an expiry date. They don't know when the gas cylinders will expire and when it does, it can results to leakage that can lead to explosion. There have been many cases of gas cylinder explosions and when this happens, lives are lost and properties worth millions are also lost in the fire that follows. So many lives have been lost and this is a call to concern.

According to a State Coordinator, Standard Organisation of Nigeria [SON], “If a cylinder of 12kg explodes, it is capable of bringing down a two storey building. Cooking gas cylinders must not exceed five (5) years.” According to the SON Director, most people using gas cylinders hardly remember when it was bought. Once you discover that your gas cylinder has expired, stop using it in order to avoid explosion.

This is the process to verify the expiry date of the LPG cylinder
The expiry date of cooking gas cylinder can be found on one of the metal strips that connect the body of the cylinder to top ring (handle). It is printed or pasted on the inner side of the strip. Alphabets from A to D is painted on it along with a number. The process of decoding the expiry date is very simple. The alphabet A, B, C, D represents the month it will expire while the number beside it indicates the year the gas cylinder will expire.

A year is divided into four quarters which are:
A – January to March
B – April to June
C – July to September
D – October to December
The letters represent the month of expiry while the number indicates the year of expiry.
For example, if a cylinder has ‘B 20′ printed on the metal strip. The letter B represents month June, and 20 indicates the year 2020. So a cylinder having B 20 mentioned on it means it will expire in June 2020.

After the expiry date, a gas cylinder has a grace period of 3 - 4 months because the cylinder cannot be extracted immediately out of the circulation. There have been several reports on how distributors tamper with the expiry date because they are written with paint. When next you buy or receive a gas cylinder, make sure you check the expiry date and stay safe.
Re: How To Check The Expiry Date Of Your Gas Cylinder To Avoid Explosion by PKURLINZ: 3:12am On Jun 24, 2021
Thanks for the info[color=#006600][/color]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Lady Begins Search For A Life Partner For Her Mother (Photo) / London Court Jails Nigerian Three Years For Flogging Son / My Father Disowned Me For Marrying A Disfigured Man { Photos }

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.