Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,164 members, 7,780,160 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:20 AM

The Fear Of Thermodynamics � - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Fear Of Thermodynamics � (864 Views)

FGC Kwali Directs Parents To Evacuate Wards Over Fear Of Terror Attack / My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness / Help Solve This THERMODYNAMICS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Fear Of Thermodynamics � by Chimaobi302(m): 9:19am On Jan 07, 2020
Good day everyone, I must say this is my first time posting something related to my academics, I know from the subject title, those people that have come across this must have know the reasons for this post.
I'm an Engineering student of one the universities in Nigeria, department of Civil engineering, just finished with first year. Moving to second year.
I have been hearing about this course " Thermodynamics ", during our induction ceremony, some of our seniors then, were just like "when Thermo gham you ehh"
Even when I have a family member that's currently 400l mechanical engineering, the guy is that type that don't talk much, even when he told me about how difficult the course is, he not that type that will give you some helpful secrets on how to pass it well. I just don't know what to do because, I'm even thinking of changing my study pattern because I'm not getting the kind of results I do picture in my mind.
Some of my first semester results are out and I'm really not impress, and I believe its not possible to do the same thing and expect a different result.
That's why I'm here, I'm pleading please if there is any word of advice, any recommended text book that will help me gain a good and standard knowledge of that course + my reading/study pattern.
Please help a young and ignorant brother �.
Re: The Fear Of Thermodynamics � by Enwhen(m): 10:09am On Jan 07, 2020
I don't know why u refuse to mention the name of the school , which could help u better for specific recommendation and direction.... It seems the lecturer taking thermodynamics in your school is wicked , because THERMODYNAMICS at 200L is nothing to be compare to MECHANICS and even FLUID MECHANICS ....THERMO is very interesting in 200L is very interesting...

I WILL ADVICE YOU TO BE VERY SMART BECAUSE MOST TIMES IS NOT ABOUT HOW FAR U HAVE READ , ITS HOW SMART U READ ... IF I WANT TO STARTS RECOMMENDING TEXTS FOR , U WILL BE CLNFUSED, BECAUSE, THE THERMO I DID IN 300L( Chemical engineering) is quite difficult than that of the general engineering in 200L, which is just the basics, same to the mechanical students and Civil engineering ...don't panic about thermo in 200L, there is no big deal about it , maybe they were refering to that of 300L , because the most tasking course in 200L Engineering is Engineering Mechanics and Drawings.....In any ways..I WILL ADVICE U TO STUDY THE LECTURER CLOSELY AND KNOW THE "MATERIALS" HE IS USING THATS THE BEST WAY U CAN HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD AND GET an A in Thermo ... First semester Thermo is cheap and sweet , also second semester is still not tasking the way u describe it...it all depends on the lecturer taking it , some of them will just want to make a course difficult...buy take my advice above...it has conquered many sadists...because most of them are lazy , they only lift tough questions from various texts books , as such if u have not seen the questions before , it becomes difficult...
Re: The Fear Of Thermodynamics � by kennyjam: 12:47pm On Jan 07, 2020
Enwhen:

I don't know why u refuse to mention the name of the school , which could help u better for specific recommendation and direction.... It seems the lecturer taking thermodynamics in your school is wicked , because THERMODYNAMICS at 200L is nothing to be compare to MECHANICS and even FLUID MECHANICS ....THERMO is very interesting in 200L is very interesting...

I WILL ADVICE YOU TO BE VERY SMART BECAUSE MOST TIMES IS NOT ABOUT HOW FAR U HAVE READ , ITS HOW SMART U READ ... IF I WANT TO STARTS RECOMMENDING TEXTS FOR , U WILL BE CLNFUSED, BECAUSE, THE THERMO I DID IN 300L( Chemical engineering) is quite difficult than that of the general engineering in 200L, which is just the basics, same to the mechanical students and Civil engineering ...don't panic about thermo in 200L, there is no big deal about it , maybe they were refering to that of 300L , because the most tasking course in 200L Engineering is Engineering Mechanics and Drawings.....In any ways..I WILL ADVICE U TO STUDY THE LECTURER CLOSELY AND KNOW THE "MATERIALS" HE IS USING THATS THE BEST WAY U CAN HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD AND GET an A in Thermo ... First semester Thermo is cheap and sweet , also second semester is still not tasking the way u describe it...it all depends on the lecturer taking it , some of them will just want to make a course difficult...buy take my advice above...it has conquered many sadists...because most of them are lazy , they only lift tough questions from various texts books , as such if u have not seen the questions before , it becomes difficult...

Nice....
Re: The Fear Of Thermodynamics � by kennyjam: 12:53pm On Jan 07, 2020
Chimaobi302:
Good day everyone, I must say this is my first time posting something related to my academics, I know from the subject title, those people that have come across this must have know the reasons for this post.
I'm an Engineering student of one the universities in Nigeria, department of Civil engineering, just finished with first year. Moving to second year.
I have been hearing about this course " Thermodynamics ", during our induction ceremony, some of our seniors then, were just like "when Thermo gham you ehh"
Even when I have a family member that's currently 400l mechanical engineering, the guy is that type that don't talk much, even when he told me about how difficult the course is, he not that type that will give you some helpful secrets on how to pass it well. I just don't know what to do because, I'm even thinking of changing my study pattern because I'm not getting the kind of results I do picture in my mind.
Some of my first semester results are out and I'm really not impress, and I believe its not possible to do the same thing and expect a different result.
That's why I'm here, I'm pleading please if there is any word of advice, any recommended text book that will help me gain a good and standard knowledge of that course + my reading/study pattern.
Please help a young and ignorant brother �.

The difference between the Extra-ordinary and the Ordinary is just that little "Extra".

If you want to get Extra-ordinary outcome, your input shouldn't be Ordinary.

Meet the brilliant or I would say First class students of your department(Of the level above yours) to advice you or hint you.

May God help
!

Good luck!
Re: The Fear Of Thermodynamics � by drayboi(m): 1:05pm On Jan 07, 2020
Enwhen:

bro pls, I know you know more about this please, is Agric and Bioresources engineering a good course to study?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Fear Of Thermodynamics � by Enwhen(m): 1:43pm On Jan 07, 2020
drayboi:
bro pls, I know you know more about this please, is Agric and Bioresources engineering a good course to study?

NO Course is bad , they are all meant to solve problems.

MY ADVICE: before u choose your course of study, make sure u have INTEREST IN IT, ensure its sonething that u like doing naturally, find out the subjects requirements , if they are what u can develop interest in and lastly check its present demand in the labour markets with respect to the country of your choice of working, if it's lucrative...

Bioresources Engineering , I don't know the school offering this in Nigeria , but it's a very nice course. The world is looking onto Biotechnology in many areas but more research is still ongoing for it's general approval..In Nigeria , it's a "future course"

Agric Engineering : This is a very nice course , it's the present and future course for Nigerians, because we have relied too much on crude oil , and nobody is looking onto Agric... We have the markets and demand for agricultural produce , with closure of our borders and ban of many imported products , Agric Engineering it's a best bet... Nobody wants to go into farming everybody want to seat in an AC office and many want to enjoy oil money and the sad news is that presently none of those jobs is forth coming, as such, FARMING would be the final destination for many , thereby making Agricultural Science/Engineering a big demand in the labour markets... U can be self employed unlike petroleum engineering, U doesn't need huge capital for starts up, unlike Civil Engineering......

If u have studied everything about this course( Agric Engineering) and u have interest in it, don't allow anybody decieve u, just go buy your jamb form and fill it there....I remember during my NYSC in both Taraba and Ekiti , apart from Graduate Doctors, the most lucrative and most demanded course was anything related to AGRIC....if the border closure is sustained, Everybody will have no option than to move to the agric sector with the level of unemployments...
Re: The Fear Of Thermodynamics � by Chimaobi302(m): 1:45pm On Jan 07, 2020
Enwhen:

Actually, it's university of Nigeria UNN
Re: The Fear Of Thermodynamics � by Enwhen(m): 2:08pm On Jan 07, 2020
Chimaobi302:

Actually, it's university of Nigeria UNN

I bievieve there are Engnring UNN Alumni in this forum... Presently I only have somebody in Med & surgery in UNN and not Engineering...but just do what I said, don't be scared of your lecturers , follow them closely , u will learn alot... Once u get the texts books and materials they are using , you are good for an A...They must surely lift questions from those texts books , and none would be new to you...Thermo in first semester is very sweet, it talks about Heat, Open and Close systems , Cycles, colorary 1 and 2 of an AC,... Some very simple calculation using the thermo shart and sheet... They are very simple , just pay attention in class 100%, when u miss it don't be shy to ask questions because that won't be allow in exams and tests...MOST IMPORTANTLY, have a side note for various method of calculations mostly for the saturated, unsaturated table calculations, it's a bit confusing if u didn't note it, and can easily forget it if u fail to practise it, because once u miss that explanation , it becomes a serious reading for u to get it right... Read smartly...

1 Like

Re: The Fear Of Thermodynamics � by Mr2kul(m): 4:15pm On Jan 07, 2020
Try Engineering Thermodynamics by RK Rajput.
That book helped me a lot both in 200L and 300L.... There are lots of examples in that book..
Re: The Fear Of Thermodynamics � by drayboi(m): 5:54pm On Jan 07, 2020
Enwhen:

NO Course is bad , they are all meant to solve problems.

MY ADVICE: before u choose your course of study, make sure u have INTEREST IN IT, ensure its sonething that u like doing naturally, find out the subjects requirements , if they are what u can develop interest in and lastly check its present demand in the labour markets with respect to the country of your choice of working, if it's lucrative...

Bioresources Engineering , I don't know the school offering this in Nigeria , but it's a very nice course. The world is looking onto Biotechnology in many areas but more research is still ongoing for it's general approval..In Nigeria , it's a "future course"

Agric Engineering : This is a very nice course , it's the present and future course for Nigerians, because we have relied too much on crude oil , and nobody is looking onto Agric... We have the markets and demand for agricultural produce , with closure of our borders and ban of many imported products , Agric Engineering it's a best bet... Nobody wants to go into farming everybody want to seat in an AC office and many want to enjoy oil money and the sad news is that presently none of those jobs is forth coming, as such, FARMING would be the final destination for many , thereby making Agricultural Science/Engineering a big demand in the labour markets... U can be self employed unlike petroleum engineering, U doesn't need huge capital for starts up, unlike Civil Engineering......

If u have studied everything about this course( Agric Engineering) and u have interest in it, don't allow anybody decieve u, just go buy your jamb form and fill it there....I remember during my NYSC in both Taraba and Ekiti , apart from Graduate Doctors, the most lucrative and most demanded course was anything related to AGRIC....if the border closure is sustained, Everybody will have no option than to move to the agric sector with the level of unemployments...
Wow thanks bro for your time may God bless you.
The thing is that I have been offered Admission to study the course but I just to ask people who know about it and that can tell me more about it before going for it
Re: The Fear Of Thermodynamics � by Enwhen(m): 6:47pm On Jan 07, 2020
drayboi:
Wow thanks bro for your time may God bless you.
The thing is that I have been offered Admission to study the course but I just to ask people who know about it and that can tell me more about it before going for it

Are you going for it ??....which school ??
Re: The Fear Of Thermodynamics � by drayboi(m): 9:42pm On Jan 07, 2020
Enwhen:

Are you going for it ??....which school ??
yes
Futminna
Re: The Fear Of Thermodynamics � by Enwhen(m): 10:13pm On Jan 07, 2020
drayboi:
yes
Futminna

Good... Gidan kwano straight ....congrats
Re: The Fear Of Thermodynamics � by drayboi(m): 4:42pm On Jan 08, 2020
Enwhen:

Good... Gidan kwano straight ....congrats

I was thinking of registering another jamb and go for electrical electronics engineering, then I said I should ask from those who know about it
thank you very much sir for your time
Re: The Fear Of Thermodynamics � by Enwhen(m): 4:44pm On Jan 08, 2020
drayboi:

I was thinking of registering another jamb and go for electrical electronics engineering, then I said I should ask from those who know about it
thank you very much sir for your time

U are welcome
Re: The Fear Of Thermodynamics � by Aguemma(m): 5:12pm On Jan 08, 2020
I have heard how difficult Thermo is even before my admission in UNN . Am currently in Material and metallurgical engineering department.

100lv precisely

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Cambridge A Level In Nigeria / Nigerian Maritime University POST UTME/DIRECT-ENTRY Form 2020/2021 Ca / How To Purchase NECO Result Token Online

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.