Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,035 members, 7,799,516 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 11:28 PM

Can I Be Forced To Sell My Inheritance? - Properties (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Can I Be Forced To Sell My Inheritance? (22114 Views)

A Good Man Leaves An Inheritance For His Family- Chariots Estate Lekki / I Want To Sell My Land At Ikorodu / Please Where Can I Sell My Used Generator In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can I Be Forced To Sell My Inheritance? by Goodluckzzz: 2:56pm On Jan 08, 2020
Starboytwo:
Good day all,

It's pretty simple, can I be forced to sell my inheritance?

My late pop passed away 4 years ago, he had 11 surviving children from 4 wives, me and my younger brother were the last kids from the last wife...

He left a house in Lagos which we presently reside in but in recent times it's been the topic of sale by other siblings.... our stance remain 'NO SELLING'

Additional info

1-Me and my bro are in our early and mid 20's,we live in one of the apartments

2-The remaining siblings all have families of their own outside Lagos

3- Money is obviously the Motive for selling, but its emotional and psychological for us, dunno if this count, but id also add that my younger brother is a 'son of the soil"here, schooled here and erythane before pop passed, 3 of the siblings have never been here before. Older folks call popman "Baba Shade" we only met at the burial...

We had a Family meeting/reunion mid last year and the house was thrown in a debate, while majority of my siblings choose to sell the house, me, my brother and our eldest brother(2nd born) were against selling...

However, my elder bros and i spoke on new year day and i got to know his stance had changed concerning no selling, he cited heavy pressure from other siblings and he is very tired. And maybe he needs money too...

Which prompted my creation of the thread and asking "can our house be sold without our consent" considering we are in the minority for team "no selling"

Can we be forced to sell? despite having no intentions to do so, and how does the legal system cover for us...

N/B- there is no discord or fight or anything among siblings, we all live in peace and contact mostly through phone calls sometimes.....

Suggestion though

Ask how much is the house going for and ask how much each person is getting, make sure all of them is present. When they hear themselves and their greed on who gets the lion share. Just go and sleep.
Re: Can I Be Forced To Sell My Inheritance? by Nobody: 3:08pm On Jan 08, 2020
Starboytwo.

The issue will continue to come up.

You are still young so I don't know how you and your immediate bros can buy time to understand the implications.

That house will definitely be sold but ensure that before it is sold, everyone of you will put it down in writing and duly signed, that the proceeds will be shared among all your father's children EQUALLY.
Re: Can I Be Forced To Sell My Inheritance? by Starboytwo(m): 4:04pm On Jan 08, 2020
RonaldoVido:
Starboytwo.

The issue will continue to come up.

You are still young so I don't know how you and your immediate bros can buy time to understand the implications.

That house will definitely be sold but ensure that before it is sold, everyone of you will put it down in writing and duly signed, that the proceeds will be shared among all your father's children EQUALLY.
I appreciate your inputs, duly noted
Re: Can I Be Forced To Sell My Inheritance? by olaeffect(m): 4:54pm On Jan 08, 2020
Starboytwo:
you got it all wrong bro, everything, and the selfish part... In the whole family only me and my brother don't need the money...

I dont need to sell our house before I could survive, and the 5 years is another thing entirely that I'd not like to share, infact I could make it 10 years if I wanted...

The truth is they are trying to lobby me, to be honest for sale, while I'm against, but now I'm thinking maybe it's the best actually for everyone...

In the game of thrones right now, we are the lanisters, I'd like to think... we have something all the siblings dont have

My brother has something valuable to everyone, so we are being treated like eggs... Like I said na we be the starboys of the family...

No selfish anything, I have my own house before I moved here, October last year made it a year I moved here fully...

I still believe it's a wrong thing to sell, but if that's what they want, we'd do a deal...

Much respect bro.
Please allow them to sell. You can never guarantee what anyone will do when it comes to inheritance, since you can even attest to it that the others need the money more than you and your brother.
Anything to do with inheritance is not a small issue especially in a polygamous family.

Best of luck family starboy grin
Re: Can I Be Forced To Sell My Inheritance? by emmanuelewumi(m): 4:59pm On Jan 08, 2020
Coldie:

Its not his estate. We are not arguing that, just as the one the other siblings stay too are not there's, if they sell out the one he occupies when time comes will they easily sell out there own, even if they do will they give him a share?

I think his father built just one house
Re: Can I Be Forced To Sell My Inheritance? by emmanuelewumi(m): 5:02pm On Jan 08, 2020
Coldie:

This is not a matter of sentiment its a matter of logic.

Baba get 4wives build 4houses for all the wives.

Then baba die they locate last wife house for sale, for wetin now, what of the ones baba build for una?

He had just one house
Re: Can I Be Forced To Sell My Inheritance? by inspector1(m): 5:59pm On Jan 08, 2020
The best thing is for you and ur siblings to agree with the others who choose to sell. Agreed on how the money will be share among the family...
When it comes to inheritance my brother forget being the Starboy of the family o.... It's when you are alive that u means a treat to others.... Don't trust any of them especially with ur live, dey won't mind going extra mile when you keep blocking the sales.
Re: Can I Be Forced To Sell My Inheritance? by Nobody: 6:36pm On Jan 08, 2020
Coldie:
If the house is the ONLY house built by ur Father, and the other siblings want to sell it.

You guys should sell it out at once
The only sensible thing you have said on this thread.
Re: Can I Be Forced To Sell My Inheritance? by BIXYBABE: 7:00pm On Jan 08, 2020
Ok
Re: Can I Be Forced To Sell My Inheritance? by alexola20(m): 8:02pm On Jan 08, 2020
Re: Can I Be Forced To Sell My Inheritance? by chukzyfcbb: 8:29pm On Jan 08, 2020
Something of such is currently appening in my fam

Two girls who lost thier pops sold thier late dad's property for 20m, now the uncles are after the Buyer of the property saying it's an illegal sale. And those uncle's na strong men (if you know what I mean smiley

And iits just to intimidate them because they are girls and have no brothers....

You are even lucky it's your blood brothers, what if years later your Dad's brothers team up and say it's am illegal sale for the kids and they demand a share.

Baba Better allow them sell it, take your share and park.
Re: Can I Be Forced To Sell My Inheritance? by Nobody: 9:02pm On Jan 08, 2020
Starboytwo:
Good day all,

It's pretty simple, can I be forced to sell my inheritance?

My late pop passed away 4 years ago, he had 11 surviving children from 4 wives, me and my younger brother were the last kids from the last wife...

He left a house in Lagos which we presently reside in but in recent times it's been the topic of sale by other siblings.... our stance remain 'NO SELLING'

Additional info

1-Me and my bro are in our early and mid 20's,we live in one of the apartments

2-The remaining siblings all have families of their own outside Lagos

3- Money is obviously the Motive for selling, but its emotional and psychological for us, dunno if this count, but id also add that my younger brother is a 'son of the soil"here, schooled here and erythane before pop passed, 3 of the siblings have never been here before. Older folks call popman "Baba Shade" we only met at the burial...

We had a Family meeting/reunion mid last year and the house was thrown in a debate, while majority of my siblings choose to sell the house, me, my brother and our eldest brother(2nd born) were against selling...

However, my elder bros and i spoke on new year day and i got to know his stance had changed concerning no selling, he cited heavy pressure from other siblings and he is very tired. And maybe he needs money too...

Which prompted my creation of the thread and asking "can our house be sold without our consent" considering we are in the minority for team "no selling"

Can we be forced to sell? despite having no intentions to do so, and how does the legal system cover for us...

N/B- there is no discord or fight or anything among siblings, we all live in peace and contact mostly through phone calls sometimes.....
It woulda been easier if pops left behind a will. Else y’all have to be democratic and settle for a vote on wether or not to sell, meanwhile start lobbying fo no sale vote . Cheers
Re: Can I Be Forced To Sell My Inheritance? by profsomebody(m): 9:50pm On Jan 08, 2020
Bless your soul, bro. It was really annoying reading how he kept referring to the property as his, simply because he grew there. I mean, your mum is the last wife and presumably had the late man and all his money to herself and her kids when he was alive (judging by the fact that he said the older children didn't even know the location of the house) and after his death, you're claiming the house as yours exclusively? Rubbish! I think OP should even be grateful he has good older siblings who're willing to carry him along.
livebyday:

Firstly it's not your home more than it's theirs .. there is no will indicating you as primary custodian of the estate (the house)

So whether you where born and raised there is totally irrelevant.

Yes the house can be sold without your consent and all children are deemed beneficiaries of the estate since you are not stated in any document as executor of the estate hence you have no power above the other children.

The house will be sold.whether you approve or not and it doesn't belong to you it belongs to all biological children of your late father . Whether you live there and get married there is irrelevant the home is not yours !!!

Move out , it is not your inheritance it is all biological children's inheritance

1 Like

Re: Can I Be Forced To Sell My Inheritance? by izibili44: 10:05pm On Jan 08, 2020
He can even sell without you.I have seen it many times in Lagos.Just know the value and you and your brother share.They will sell if you agree or not.
Starboytwo:
no will, and I believe my imediate elder bro have in possesion any relevant paperworks for the house...

And it' not a now thingy, even if it will be sold eventually, not in the next 5 years at least... I just want to know if majority win works in this kinda situation or dosent...

I mean it's an inheritance right, we all have equal rights and all, 8 want to sell, 3 don't want to sell, majority rules say 8 win, but everything I have been reading online says no sale without my "consent"... So I'm thinking like since my "consent" is NO, they can't sell...

Maybe I should add, nobody will cheat anybody in the aftermath of a sale, everyone would get theirs...

My issue is isn't there some clause in the law that covers for a scenario where the property in contention is my home, grew up in it, knew everyone, live and still living with evidence, also I know for a fact that pop will never sell, out of the blue about to be up for sale by people who needed an address and later description when they were coming cuz they needed money....

They just trying to use my house for cash out, why should they? The day they came, they all left except 1, not my fault they like visitors, cuz they never come..
Re: Can I Be Forced To Sell My Inheritance? by Eagba(m): 10:42pm On Jan 08, 2020
munex007:
Be very diplomatic

If the property is very valuable they will do anything to get it sold.. Just try and keep the docs safe.

The Yoruba's need to be careful the rate they sell their properties major buyers being Igbo's.

If the trend continues Igbo's will own Lagos one day.
shut up. must you state the obvious
Re: Can I Be Forced To Sell My Inheritance? by Starboytwo(m): 10:44pm On Jan 08, 2020
profsomebody:
Bless your soul, bro. It was really annoying reading how he kept referring to the property as his, simply because he grew there. I mean, your mum is the last wife and presumably had the late man and all his money to herself and her kids when he was alive (judging by the fact that he said the older children didn't even know the location of the house) and after his death, you're claiming the house as yours exclusively? Rubbish! I think OP should even be grateful he has good older siblings who're willing to carry him along.
maybe you should write a story bout my family since you know so much about it...
Re: Can I Be Forced To Sell My Inheritance? by Nobody: 7:48am On Jan 09, 2020
Guy you better allow them to sell before it turns into another thing. Very soon, you might loose the house and also loose the money. A word is enough for the wise. Allow sale,get your share and do something tangible with it.
Re: Can I Be Forced To Sell My Inheritance? by sheDD(m): 9:19am On Jan 09, 2020
Starboytwo:
no will, and I believe my imediate elder bro have in possesion any relevant paperworks for the house...

And it' not a now thingy, even if it will be sold eventually, not in the next 5 years at least... I just want to know if majority win works in this kinda situation or dosent...

I mean it's an inheritance right, we all have equal rights and all, 8 want to sell, 3 don't want to sell, majority rules say 8 win, but everything I have been reading online says no sale without my "consent"... So I'm thinking like since my "consent" is NO, they can't sell...

Maybe I should add, nobody will cheat anybody in the aftermath of a sale, everyone would get theirs...

My issue is isn't there some clause in the law that covers for a scenario where the property in contention is my home, grew up in it, knew everyone, live and still living with evidence, also I know for a fact that pop will never sell, out of the blue about to be up for sale by people who needed an address and later description when they were coming cuz they needed money....

They just trying to use my house for cash out, why should they? The day they came, they all left except 1, not my fault they like visitors, cuz they never come..
I don't think your consent hold any water, if your name is not inscribed in a will as the owner of the building.
Re: Can I Be Forced To Sell My Inheritance? by Kendumazy(m): 5:38pm On Jan 09, 2020
lorhema:

Tough but true.

Hi lorhema
Re: Can I Be Forced To Sell My Inheritance? by eRex(m): 8:31pm On Jan 09, 2020
[/b]No legal backing [b](house wasn't willed to any one)
[/b]No tradition/customary backing [b](Tradition will place first son as the head of the house)
[/b]No Financial backing.[b] (You have not sounded like you have financial strength to intimidate your elder siblings.. trust me if you have money you will call shots no matter your position in the family
[/b]No hierarchical backing[b]. (Last wife, last set of kids.... That when I will start to find out .... Ooooh... And we warned Our husband not to marry her.. now her kids are the only ones against the whole family...)

@Starboytwo Bro look well... U may just be fighting a lost cause if you do not align with them. The odds are against you

Else your next post will be...

* House sold how do I get my share*

It's now 3 days deliberating on this... Sure you have not gotten the right answer u still need?
Re: Can I Be Forced To Sell My Inheritance? by saajus: 7:09am On Jan 18, 2020
Let them sell o before things get messy. Sell, get your own share and continue with your life. Build your own life and live better than your father.
Re: Can I Be Forced To Sell My Inheritance? by Fairview1: 10:07pm On May 10, 2020
Lion101:
Inside life!

Follow your heart bruv.

May the Lord see you through.

What's good?

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

See How Land Grabbers Destroyed Houses At Ajao Estate, Lagos (Photos) / Building Collapses On Deaf Shoemaker In Delta State After Heavy Rainfall. Photos / Documents Required For Property Transfer In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.