Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,759 members, 7,798,540 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 05:12 AM

Using Pvc Pipes For Drip Irrigation - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Using Pvc Pipes For Drip Irrigation (4046 Views)

Price List For Drip Irrigation Kit / Drip Irrigation For Plantain Farm Per Acre. REQUEST A QUOTE TODAY! / Drip Irrigation For Millennial Farmers (1000sqm With Accessories) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Using Pvc Pipes For Drip Irrigation by Benagro: 8:37pm On Jan 10, 2020
dorispray:

Very thoughtful of you sir not to derail this thread, I'm navigating to the thread now.

Impressive! It's good to always improvise making use of what you can get available to solve your challenges, I'm a fan of that too.

I do sell Irrigation materials especially the Drip Irrigation system and it's accessories. You can reach out to me via my email address on my handle signature below if you need any assistance on that.

Do you have fairly used drip
Re: Using Pvc Pipes For Drip Irrigation by kelvin1191(m): 12:16am On Jan 11, 2020
[quote author=calixjabs post=85590259]hello everyone.
I was wondering if its possible to use PVC pipe for drip irrigation in place of drip tube.
considering the cost of getting drip kits for a small farmer.

has anyone tried it or have an idea about it , please your feedback is welcome.[/quote

With my years experience as a plumber, I will say using pvc pipe is a bad idea. And using electric conduit pipe a worst one. The pressure at both ends cannot be same. The area close to the supply will receive much water than the end side.
Re: Using Pvc Pipes For Drip Irrigation by dorispray: 3:48am On Jan 11, 2020
Benagro:

Do you have fairly used drip

No I don't have fairly used drip . I sell only New kits.
Re: Using Pvc Pipes For Drip Irrigation by okoroemeka(m): 5:38pm On Jan 11, 2020
[quote author=kelvin1191 post=85690549][/quote]you are very correct,the water drops along the pvc lines will not be equal,the first holes will receive more supply and it will keep on decreasing along the line,and pls forget the idea of using conduit pipes they are too flimsy, even the small size pvc suitable for such job is #800 naira for 6 metres my side if you multiply that by 500 meter's that will be around #66,000k,while you can get a 500 meter drip tape for #25-30k.
Re: Using Pvc Pipes For Drip Irrigation by DeLaRue: 9:56pm On Jan 11, 2020
PharoahIII:
[/color]

[color=#006600]

@ Now I know that the water requirement for vegetables is 1-1.5 acre-inch per week, which is roughly 65m3 of water daily per hectare.

65,000 litres for 1 hectare of cucumber per day? You shouldn't need up to that per day if you're going to use drip. We embarked on our first dry season cucumber farming in Nov and I reckon we currently use about 10, 000 litres for about 7500 plants per day through drip and we water 3 times a day during fruiting.

We use regular drip tapes with PVC main all set up on about 1 hectare, though we don't plant all 1 hectare at the same time. We pump water from a borehole into 3 interconnected 5000 litre tanks (15000 litres) and then from the tanks a network of PVC main lines channel water to the different sections of the farm through drip tapes laid on ridges. It's been working excellently so far.
Re: Using Pvc Pipes For Drip Irrigation by DeLaRue: 10:27pm On Jan 11, 2020
PharoahIII:
[/color]

[color=#006600]

@ Now from my findings drilling boreholes will be prohibitively expensive as its depth will have to be in excess of 300ft in order to get to a confined aquifer...now the issue is getting a submersible pump that will even have a flow rate of 20000litres/hr at a dynamic head of 100m will cost even more than 1.2 million (for the pump alone) and such powerful pumps will have a power rating in excess of 6HP so we are looking at at least a 9kva gen and above, so I dont think drilling a borehole is viable.

Again, some of your figures just seem way above what a 1 or 2 hectare drip irrigation set up should cost. You claim your borehole needs to be up to 100m deep. Is that because you wrongly assumed you would need 130000 litres per day? Also, most boreholes, even at 100m deep, will not yield that much water on a daily basis.
My borehole is 'only' about 45m deep, though I agree that every location is different.

And although I was advised that the output from the borehole would be average, so far we have been pumping about 10000 litres per day, everyday since early Nov., with no problems. The borehole pump cost around 50k I think and we've not had a single problem with it - may be that's just down to luck. Yes, we spend about 5k per week on petrol, but I don't understand why you should need N1.2 million pump, even if solar. I suspect your figures are so high because you over estimate your water/irrigation needs.

Finally, have you considered whether you have the capacity (labour, on-field experience, management & marketing experience) to farm 1 hectare of cucumber at a time. Can your market absorb that many cucumbers each harvest? In my case, my 1 hectare is divided into 6 sections & we plant on a rolling basis but rarely more than 2 - 3 sections at a time.
Re: Using Pvc Pipes For Drip Irrigation by DeLaRue: 10:43pm On Jan 11, 2020
Sorry we use layflat main, not PVC. I sometimes get confused by which is which.
Re: Using Pvc Pipes For Drip Irrigation by FarmTech(m): 11:49pm On Jan 12, 2020
A good drip will be far cheaper and convenient. I once thought like u but when I did the calculation, I scraped the idea.
Re: Using Pvc Pipes For Drip Irrigation by PharoahIII: 10:44am On Jan 13, 2020
[/color]
DeLaRue:

Again, some of your figures just seem way above what a 1 or 2 hectare drip irrigation set up should cost. You claim your borehole needs to be up to 100m deep. Is that because you wrongly assumed you would need 130000 litres per day? Also, most boreholes, even at 100m deep, will not yield that much water on a daily basis.
My borehole is 'only' about 45m deep, though I agree that every location is different.

And although I was advised that the output from the borehole would be average, so far we have been pumping about 10000 litres per day, everyday since early Nov., with no problems. The borehole pump cost around 50k I think and we've not had a single problem with it - may be that's just down to luck. Yes, we spend about 5k per week on petrol, but I don't understand why you should need N1.2 million pump, even if solar. I suspect your figures are so high because you over estimate your water/irrigation needs.

Finally, have you considered whether you have the capacity (labour, on-field experience, management & marketing experience) to farm 1 hectare of cucumber at a time. Can your market absorb that many cucumbers each harvest? In my case, my 1 hectare is divided into 6 sections & we plant on a rolling basis but rarely more than 2 - 3 sections at a time.

[color=#006600]

Thanks a lot for your response. But I do not really really think I have grossly overestimated my water requirement (1-1.5-acre inch seems to be the daily standardized rate.) Lets take a 1-hectare cuke farm, for example. Assuming a 25000 plant density, 65000 litres of water will translate to around 2.6 litres /plant a day. Some drip emitters have a flow rate of 2L/hr, so assuming pressure is not a problem, the drip system will only have to run for 80 mins in order to supply 1 ha of a cucumber farm with 65000 litres of water
Re: Using Pvc Pipes For Drip Irrigation by DeLaRue: 9:59pm On Jan 13, 2020
2.6 litres per day per cucumber plant? That's just a little under 2 large bottles of Eva water. If you feel that's the absolute minimum you need to give your plants, I guess that's ok.

My cucumber plants get around 1.2 litre per day, and yield has been quite good.

Also, you expect to irrigate for up to 8hrs per day? We are not in America na. Have you considered the cost?

We irrigate for about 10 mins at a time, 3 times a day. Our irrigation tape's maximum output is 4 LPH. Although yours is only 2 LPH, it's still surprising that you plan to run it for 8 hours per day! For a commoditised produce like cucumber? You dey try o.
Re: Using Pvc Pipes For Drip Irrigation by vickifeanyi47(m): 10:04pm On Jan 13, 2020
Let's see pictures of these drip tapes you talking about
Re: Using Pvc Pipes For Drip Irrigation by Nobody: 1:04am On Jan 14, 2020
DeLaRue:
2.6 litres per day per cucumber plant? That's just a little under 2 large bottles of Eva water. If you feel that's the absolute minimum you need to give your plants, I guess that's ok.

My cucumber plants get around 1.2 litre per day, and yield has been quite good.

Also, you expect to irrigate for up to 8hrs per day? We are not in America na. Have you considered the cost?

We irrigate for about 10 mins at a time, 3 times a day. Our irrigation tape's maximum output is 4 LPH. Although yours is only 2 LPH, it's still surprising that you plan to run it for 8 hours per day! For a commoditised produce like cucumber? You dey try o.

He knows what he is saying, though, there are errors in his calculation. But he is closer to the truth than you. He thinks like a modern farmer. He has issues, and I have told him the only condition I will put mouth in his case. You too also used sense in what you do, but you have not said the whole story. By the time I ask both of you questions, you will see the whole issue right in front of you. I have solved even more technical challenges than that. And you see how modern farmers are forced to down size in Nigeria. Some with the intention of going for 20 ha....they just slashed down to 1 acre max....lol. and then you see them using technology to maximize profit. But the choice of what they buy depends on the choice of workers. When you have illiterates that do not value what you provide and use them recklessly, you start wondering why bother using them in the first place. Why spend so much on borehole when these workers do not even appreciate the convenience you want in your farm? This stage I am, i cannot use local workers when i am on farm. Never. Except I call an ex worker to just make money for me and I will not be the main guy in charge but the fellow. All I do is just visit and most times i see errrors here and there. I have no choice but to just make corrections with love. Still there are many things I may not be able to correct. So I take the loss or little gain like that. This is why I do not visit farms. Cos truth is always bitter. Some will even want to make me tell them how to force their improvised cheap materials to give optimum production. And out of 100 recommendations I make may be 2 are implemented. So why waste my time when I know most will not like the truth. They end up hating me just like nairaland after finishing with them. But they always return to beg that they were foo.lish. Well I dont listen to them again. And that is where hatred starts. But I dont care.

I congratulate both of you that you are seeing these issues. I laugh when one tells me he wants to use 3 ha to start cucumber. And when i see the proposed equipnent I just smile. But one must not advise them; else, trouble don start. Like I said I want this thread to be based on improvisation trial OP is interested in. When you tell people ahead thier failure but they still want to go ahead, why hold such people behind. Experience is the best teacher which many do not have second chance from. It is like going inside the ring with iron Mike Tyson. Just 10 sec to max of 5 mins fight. Afterwards, you do not hear such names again in heavy weight competitions. Permanent knock out. But the way we take the consequences of our decisions depends on individuals. You know positive people when they face huge loss. But when someone passes aggression of his loss on others lol....

You are obviously under irrigating your plants. If you irrigate properly, you will increase yield. And it may do you good to downsize so you spend less on cost of production, and still get more yield (more profit). But you need to get more facts before you do that. I still think of a friend who continously argued with me that land close to river is bad. I pray the fellow starts asap so the truth can be revealed. Maybe the fellow thinks all small scale veggie farmers are stupid for moving close to river in the southern of Nigeria. Only newbies run after land tiu spend milliins on to get enough water Lol. Why? They do not know the quantity if water needed. And farmers who want to run pipes on 30 acres with just one residential borehole are the smartest in the world. Lol. I just laugh. Some want to even do trees which consumes more water. And they argue seriously. I do not get involved with such projects whem the owner is too knowing. Maybe will force the farmer to just do 1 acre of veggie by the side. And when all efforts yields nothing...I let the person alone never to ever do anything with such person again. That is bye bye. But I always do my best to see the end. When the fellow is stubborn, what does one do other than leave such person to go ahead. Experience will teach such person a bitter lesson. What we have tried and seen the end result. In fact, it is that guy I congratulate more cos he saw the problem before starting. You have started. You are just managing the troubles you have created for yourself. And it is why you said "this is Nigeria na". The question is that are you giving your plants optimum irrigation condition for optimum yield?

And then you wonder why seller bring some useless accessorries. They do not even know about them. The guy wants optimum with a very short period of time for irrigation. With his deep research, he has seen the influence of the sizes of pipes. I am sure he is now conscious of land topography (slopes), and other factors. He will not confine himself to the 1 inch pipe or the usual main line seller import. And you have given him hints of dividing the farm, but may still not be good for him because time is vital to him. Time is very vital to me too. And there are reasons for that too. All these issues come with either having the ability to see the future, or having the ability to adjust when trouble starts. Otherwise, it is failure. This is where experience comes in. I that started promoting small farms with sophisticated equipment know what I am talking about. I thank God smart people like you are coming up on NL. And when I laugh at cutlass and hoes farmers, they get bittered. I am just getting started with these clowns and failures on NL who are running after consultancy jobs. Lol.

My comments may be nasty to them, but those are what they need cos they will keep making newbies loss money. But when the orientation of many are changed, we will start having profitable veggie businesses in the south just like poultry farmers. Someone started promoting the proper way of doing poultry after many were wounded financially in Nigeria. And when one person wants to use N50k to do 3 ha people will all laugh at him after we have gotten it tight. Lol..but when these people keep making newbies think improvisation is the answer...hmmmmm. and they are struggling and telling lies here. And when they fail they pass aggression on me. Lol. Just like the boy rat ate most of his seeds. Lol. I laughed and laughed. No be this business? Lol. Very easy to know failures. Defamation my foot..Lol.

See, you all may not like my style...but you will be grateful someday that I rubbished many. This is the story of Nigeria. The man who will turn Nigeria around must be brutal and stubborn, but must know how to play with diplomacy and politics. And must be able to laugh at his critics. And must be a smart person to cut his critics short. Lol. Then, the fellow must not make himself available if he wants to live long. But must always be available at the same time. Lol. These farmers here are exactly the replica of the forces which do not want to make Nigeria progressive. Just the same. Lol.

Let me stop here. I will not derail this thread, but this topic is super interesting.
Re: Using Pvc Pipes For Drip Irrigation by dmz1: 11:29am On Jan 14, 2020
Mr pistotita please is the mud pump you are talking about the common petrol pumping machine?
Re: Using Pvc Pipes For Drip Irrigation by Nobody: 12:38pm On Jan 14, 2020
dmz1:
Mr pistotita please is the mud pump you are talking about the common petrol pumping machine?
Yes.
Re: Using Pvc Pipes For Drip Irrigation by calixjabs(f): 3:53pm On Jan 16, 2020
Pistotita:

He knows what he is saying, though, there are errors in his calculation. But he is closer to the truth than you. He thinks like a modern farmer. He has issues, and I have told him the only condition I will put mouth in his case. You too also used sense in what you do, but you have not said the whole story. By the time I ask both of you questions, you will see the whole issue right in front of you. I have solved even more technical challenges than that. And you see how modern farmers are forced to down size in Nigeria. Some with the intention of going for 20 ha....they just slashed down to 1 acre max....lol. and then you see them using technology to maximize profit. But the choice of what they buy depends on the choice of workers. When you have illiterates that do not value what you provide and use them recklessly, you start wondering why bother using them in the first place. Why spend so much on borehole when these workers do not even appreciate the convenience you want in your farm? This stage I am, i cannot use local workers when i am on farm. Never. Except I call an ex worker to just make money for me and I will not be the main guy in charge but the fellow. All I do is just visit and most times i see errrors here and there. I have no choice but to just make corrections with love. Still there are many things I may not be able to correct. So I take the loss or little gain like that. This is why I do not visit farms. Cos truth is always bitter. Some will even want to make me tell them how to force their improvised cheap materials to give optimum production. And out of 100 recommendations I make may be 2 are implemented. So why waste my time when I know most will not like the truth. They end up hating me just like nairaland after finishing with them. But they always return to beg that they were foo.lish. Well I dont listen to them again. And that is where hatred starts. But I dont care.

I congratulate both of you that you are seeing these issues. I laugh when one tells me he wants to use 3 ha to start cucumber. And when i see the proposed equipnent I just smile. But one must not advise them; else, trouble don start. Like I said I want this thread to be based on improvisation trial OP is interested in. When you tell people ahead thier failure but they still want to go ahead, why hold such people behind. Experience is the best teacher which many do not have second chance from. It is like going inside the ring with iron Mike Tyson. Just 10 sec to max of 5 mins fight. Afterwards, you do not hear such names again in heavy weight competitions. Permanent knock out. But the way we take the consequences of our decisions depends on individuals. You know positive people when they face huge loss. But when someone passes aggression of his loss on others lol....

You are obviously under irrigating your plants. If you irrigate properly, you will increase yield. And it may do you good to downsize so you spend less on cost of production, and still get more yield (more profit). But you need to get more facts before you do that. I still think of a friend who continously argued with me that land close to river is bad. I pray the fellow starts asap so the truth can be revealed. Maybe the fellow thinks all small scale veggie farmers are stupid for moving close to river in the southern of Nigeria. Only newbies run after land tiu spend milliins on to get enough water Lol. Why? They do not know the quantity if water needed. And farmers who want to run pipes on 30 acres with just one residential borehole are the smartest in the world. Lol. I just laugh. Some want to even do trees which consumes more water. And they argue seriously. I do not get involved with such projects whem the owner is too knowing. Maybe will force the farmer to just do 1 acre of veggie by the side. And when all efforts yields nothing...I let the person alone never to ever do anything with such person again. That is bye bye. But I always do my best to see the end. When the fellow is stubborn, what does one do other than leave such person to go ahead. Experience will teach such person a bitter lesson. What we have tried and seen the end result. In fact, it is that guy I congratulate more cos he saw the problem before starting. You have started. You are just managing the troubles you have created for yourself. And it is why you said "this is Nigeria na". The question is that are you giving your plants optimum irrigation condition for optimum yield?

And then you wonder why seller bring some useless accessorries. They do not even know about them. The guy wants optimum with a very short period of time for irrigation. With his deep research, he has seen the influence of the sizes of pipes. I am sure he is now conscious of land topography (slopes), and other factors. He will not confine himself to the 1 inch pipe or the usual main line seller import. And you have given him hints of dividing the farm, but may still not be good for him because time is vital to him. Time is very vital to me too. And there are reasons for that too. All these issues come with either having the ability to see the future, or having the ability to adjust when trouble starts. Otherwise, it is failure. This is where experience comes in. I that started promoting small farms with sophisticated equipment know what I am talking about. I thank God smart people like you are coming up on NL. And when I laugh at cutlass and hoes farmers, they get bittered. I am just getting started with these clowns and failures on NL who are running after consultancy jobs. Lol.

My comments may be nasty to them, but those are what they need cos they will keep making newbies loss money. But when the orientation of many are changed, we will start having profitable veggie businesses in the south just like poultry farmers. Someone started promoting the proper way of doing poultry after many were wounded financially in Nigeria. And when one person wants to use N50k to do 3 ha people will all laugh at him after we have gotten it tight. Lol..but when these people keep making newbies think improvisation is the answer...hmmmmm. and they are struggling and telling lies here. And when they fail they pass aggression on me. Lol. Just like the boy rat ate most of his seeds. Lol. I laughed and laughed. No be this business? Lol. Very easy to know failures. Defamation my foot..Lol.

See, you all may not like my style...but you will be grateful someday that I rubbished many. This is the story of Nigeria. The man who will turn Nigeria around must be brutal and stubborn, but must know how to play with diplomacy and politics. And must be able to laugh at his critics. And must be a smart person to cut his critics short. Lol. Then, the fellow must not make himself available if he wants to live long. But must always be available at the same time. Lol. These farmers here are exactly the replica of the forces which do not want to make Nigeria progressive. Just the same. Lol.

Let me stop here. I will not derail this thread, but this topic is super interesting.

the idea of pipes for irrigation.
after pondering on all the comment here , I decided to abandon the idea.
am planning to secure a land close to river and I did apply for loan to do proper farming+still waiting for response sha) and for my one plot pilot I will be using hand irrigation. just to keep my self busy.

xo my plans are after cucumber I have decided to use the land for garden eggs , cause I have already spent money in so many things I can't return.
hope this is ok
Re: Using Pvc Pipes For Drip Irrigation by oyinlekan1: 3:54pm On Aug 09, 2022

Yes.
please how can I reach you sir
Re: Using Pvc Pipes For Drip Irrigation by Jovar(m): 12:10pm On Sep 17, 2022
Improved higher yield dwarf oilpalm seedling are available at Jovar Resources™
Maturity: 2-3 years

Other High Yield, Improved Seedlings/plant nursery & Seeds Available:
Noni seedlings
Aloe vera sucker
Bombay seedlings
Almond seedlings
Pineapple Suckers
Hybrid Dates seedlings
Pomegranate seedlings
Improved Cassava stem
African walnut seedlings
Strawberry seedlings
Teak (Gedu) tree seedlings
Soursop seeds and seedling
Moringa seeds and seedling
Neem (dongoyaro) seedling
Grafted mango seedlings
Passion fruit seed and seedling
Ugu (Ugwu) seeds and seedlings
Irvingia gabonensis (oro) seedling
Irvingia wombulu (ogbono) seedling
Dwarf Pawpaw seeds and seedlings
Improved Udara/Cherry/Agbalumo seedings
Jackfruit / Breadfruit (Yam / Nut type (Ukwa)
Hybrid seedless/seeded grape vine seedling
Hybrid Cocoa seedlings, pods & dried raw seeds
Improved F1 Dwarf Pawpaw seeds and seedlings
Improved White jumbo, Pink guava seeds & seedling
Miracle fruit (Sweet berry, Agbayun, Taami) seedlings
Improved Brazillian Jumbo Cashew seeds & seedlings
Dwarf Oilpalm seedlings(Tenera & Malaysian Super Gene)
Malaysian Dwarf & Semi Dwarf (Hybrid/Agric) Coconut Seedlings (Green or Golden)
Avocado seedling
Local Pear , Native Pear, African pear (Ube) seedling
Grafted dwarf hybrid Hass Avocado (Pear) seedlings
Bell apple (Local Apple or native apple) seedling
Sugar apple (Sweetsop or sweet apple) seedling
Grafted arid foreign apple [varieties: Wambugu, Anna, Dorset golden...] seedling (red, green & greenish-red).
Cameroon elephant Plantain sucker
Giant Cameroon elephant Plantain suckers and seedlings
Double bunches Plantain sucker
Cavendish Banana Sucker
Giant & dwarf Cavendish banana suckers and seedlings
Ibo Banana, Local Paranta banana suckers
Budded dwarf improved : Sweet orange, Tangerlo (Honey bell orange), Grape citrus, Lime, Lisbon Lemon, Indian Lemon, Tiger Lemon, Shaddock/Pomelo, Tangerine. And double-budded seedlings of all citrus species and many other seedlings...

Improved F1 higher yield HYBRID seeds available: Tomato seeds, Onion seeds, Watermelon seeds , Cucumber seeds , Maize seeds , Pepper seeds, Ball pepper seeds, Cabbage seeds, Carrot seeds, Yam seeds, Rice seeds, lettuce seeds, Okra seeds, F1 Pawpaw seeds, Flaxseed, Pumpkin seed, Sunflower seed, Sesame seed, Chia seeds, Alfalfa seeds, mushroom spawn/seed, Ewedu (Jute), Efo tete (Spinach vegetables), Efo amunu tutu (malabar spinach) Efo soko, Castor seeds, garden egg, garden pea/ beans seeds, Soya beans seeds, Raddish, Seedling nylon, seed trays, Decomposed manure, Fertilizers, Urea ...

Planting services, pegging, mapping out, farm establishment and management.

We're behind Foursquare church, Zone-B, Road 1 way, aba-ibeji, off odo-ona kekere, Ibadan, Oyo State, you can bring vehicle to carry them, or we help send to anywhere (in Nigeria) through transport easily(waybill)... USA, UK, Canada, Ghana, Dubai, Qatar, Cameroon, Togo, Benin, and some other foreign countries through shipping.

Jovar Resources™ RC-2875407
Jovar.success@gmail.com
Google map dropped-pin/direction:
https://maps.app./tHUJ9fDJDTC4n132A

Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Jovarresources/

YouTube:
https://youtube.com/channel/UC2gT_8C8ei2gJlsFdD8yJow

Nairaland:
https://www.nairaland.com/6185482/contact-jovar-all-hybrid-seedlings#94994019

Call:

Whatsapp:
+2348036399734
+2349022851500

Order now to enjoy more discount…

(1) (2) (Reply)

Do You Need Farm Workers? / Catfish Problems And Solutions / Maize Farm: Urgent Attention

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.