Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,331 members, 7,808,120 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:27 AM

2wd Vs 4wd Vs Awd - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 2wd Vs 4wd Vs Awd (14544 Views)

2WD, 4WD, Front Wheel Drive, AWD / Expert Explain 4wd And 2wd (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 2wd Vs 4wd Vs Awd by sultaan(m): 10:24pm On Dec 11, 2010
@ Siena,
I don't think mileage difference between FWD and RWD is that much from what I have seen when comparing same size and engine http://autos.msn.com/research/compare/default.aspx?c=0&n=3&i=0&tb=0&ph1=t0&ph2=t0&dt=0&v=t109068&v=t111139

@ VolvoS60
I think the part that is still unclear to you affect all of us because we have not owned cars with all these systems to see and feel how they work.

When most drivers finally get away from the world of the FWD econoboxes the first thing we find is the 4x2 system then the 4x4(part time and full time). The tricky thing here is (when roads get nasty)to you know when you are going 4wd or changing to lo range 4wd.
So when buying a 4wd you need to know how your transfer case(front-rear drive) works and the type of differential(s) you have(front-rear ends). These control the way the wheels drive on a left-right basis; if they are open, slip, or limited slip.

For more information read this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-wheel_drive

My first experience was test driving a Grand Cherokee 4x2 I stopped and I went to the 4lo without going to neutral first on transmission. the whole thing locked up I just left the jeep there my bet was the transfer case was bad.
Re: 2wd Vs 4wd Vs Awd by VolvoS60(m): 9:00pm On Dec 13, 2010
Joabgaje,

Sorry for the late response. Been meaning to reply for quite a while - hope this helps and isn't coming too late. Unfortunately, i've never owned or driven the FJ Cruiser - never even seen one at really close quarters. From what i've been able to glean though, it seems (the 4WD version at least) to be very capable off road since it is based on the Platform of Toyota's FJ 40 (distant ancestor of today's Landcruiser) introduced in the middle of the last century.

The 2007 model came with 3 drivetrains: RWD with auto transmission, part time 4WD with 5 speed auto transmission and permanent 4WD with a six speed manual. Features are briefly described below:

RWD: (normal two wheel) RWD drivetrain, but with traction control.

Part time 4WD with 5 speed autobox: RWD is the default mode in normal driving conditions. Torque is routed to the front wheels in poorer road conditions. The driver engages 4WD by means of a switch on the dashboard. For even tougher off road conditions, the 4WD autobox has an (optional) lockable rear differential (controlled by a switch on the dash). 4WD is not to be used on dry pavement.

Permanent 4WD with 6 speed manual: Also has a RWD bias, with 60% of torque sent to the rear wheels in normal driving. On poorer roads, up to 53% of torque may be (automatically) sent to the front axle when rear wheels start losing traction. Also has low range gearing and a lockable centre differential. 4WD is active on all surfaces including dry pavement.

I don't know which model year you are interested in but it seems the 6 speed manual with the manual box is the best for serious off roading. Its set up is slightly more sophisticated than that of the 5 speed autobox with the electronic (dashboard operated) 4WD button. Once I'm able to get any reviews on the 5 speed autobox with the auxiliary gearstick, i'll post.

Perhaps i should add that both the part time and full time versions of the car got good reviews and either version should meet the needs of most buyers.
Re: 2wd Vs 4wd Vs Awd by Gr8Animash: 9:46am On Dec 15, 2010
Siena:

Every drive configuration will lose traction at some point, the laws of Physics decree it. LSD or other forms of traction control will merely raise the threshold at which the "break away" point is reached. I'm a member of several automobile clubs, and regularly take part in track days, and hill climb events. My car is AWD, and also incorporates ESP, but I've still broken traction on loose gravel or snow. It just happens a lot later than with a comparable 2WD car.

I agree with this - I stated as much in my earlier post.

wow track days, thats y i lov d u.k men, u go rallyin(dirt tracks)must b a die hard top gear fan
Re: 2wd Vs 4wd Vs Awd by Joagbaje(m): 11:26am On Dec 15, 2010
@volvoS60
Thanks a million.
Re: 2wd Vs 4wd Vs Awd by N101: 9:30pm On Mar 06, 2011
@ Siena - thank you so much for listing the AWD cars. More options smiley
Re: 2wd Vs 4wd Vs Awd by Nobody: 10:14am On Sep 23, 2011
N101:

@ Siena - thank you so much for listing the AWD cars. More options smiley

Sorry for my late response, I've just seen this. What else do you wish to know, Comrade?
Re: 2wd Vs 4wd Vs Awd by Nobody: 3:22pm On Nov 01, 2011
In most manufacturer models, whereby a particular model is available with AWD and 2WD options, AWD is reserved for the more powerful engines.

When it comes to RWD and FWD, there are factors to consider too. Traction on smooth surfaces, high-speed performance, traction uphill on roads with snow, mud or loose gravel, maintenance etc.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

These Are 7 Possible Reasons Why Your Car Is Consuming Excess Fuel / VW Jetta 2010 Or Toyota Camry 2010 / My Car Is Stalling And Jerking When On Motion.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.