Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,523 members, 7,808,905 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:12 PM

Students Abroad Find Difficulty Getting Graduate Roles - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Students Abroad Find Difficulty Getting Graduate Roles (946 Views)

Masters Degree/Entry Level Roles / Roles And Responsibilities At An Oil Rig / Auditors' Roles In A Cashless Economy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Students Abroad Find Difficulty Getting Graduate Roles by ell77(f): 9:51pm On Dec 03, 2010
Dear Nairalanders,

It has become quite apparent to me there is much difficulty for immigrants from Nigeria finding careers here in the UK. Many lose heart when they do not find a job a month after graduation. For Britons, the average graduate should expect it to take up to six months to find a career (a role that actually fits their skills and experience), although it can be less than than this for many.

The economic downturn has not been favourable to a lot of Nigerian students here and the governments increasing bias/hesitance towards immigrants seems to have compounded this. Some students spend years in menial/unskilled jobs as a result of this. News from USA seems to be mixed.

I believe part of this can be solved by dedication and improving employability. I will be holding career application workshops and SHL tutorials from the 15th of December for those who are already in the UK. Unfortunately, I know a lot of the graduate schemes are closing around this time and some have closed already but hopefully those that come will recognise there is always a way and use this to their advantage.

The classes will be free of charge.

I have also made a number of industry contacts to take on people for work experience to boost their chances of getting a job and I hope to make more connections based on the preferences of the participants.

If you are interested please email ellaoku@gmail.com with the subject PROGRESS WORKSHOP.

I am not really focussing so much on getting Nigerian students to come to the UK any more (my website is down) as there is a real need, I believe, to make sure for those who intend to stay that they have something worth coming to first.

Also if you own or are thinking of starting up a business please email me as to your staffing and/or funding needs with the subject BUSINESS RESOURCE.

I'd also be interested to hear what people think about the job market in the UK for them.

Thank you.
Re: Students Abroad Find Difficulty Getting Graduate Roles by UNLEASHED(m): 10:31pm On Dec 03, 2010
That's a nice idea and a remarkable step!
Re: Students Abroad Find Difficulty Getting Graduate Roles by ell77(f): 2:02pm On Dec 06, 2010
Thank you, we cannot sit back and allow ourselves to stumble! Indians help themselves, so do Jews and Japanese and a multitude of other races. We need to help ourselves, we complain of corrupt governments stopping us in Nigeria, if so then what stops us from doing so here? We have to change our mind set.

For those of you who want to know more about the program I am running, the first one will pretty much be a pilot since I have no prior relationship with you.

It will involve finding out your life goals, your constraints and your fears. Then we will start looking at your CV and how to get you from A to B.

We will then start actioning this and it will consist of revamping your CVs, applying for some online applications i.e. Shell, PWC, JPMorgan, Network Rail, NHS etc.

As well as cold calling some smaller companies that offer valuable experience, progression and a chance to grow.

We will also get you ready for interviews, assessment centres and psychometric tests.

This is obviously likely to take more than a day so we will play it by ear, but the reason I asked for emails in the first place was to find out the number of people interested so I will know the meeting room size needed and how many resources needed. I have set it at a weekday, to allow those who work on weekends the freedom to come to this session but if you are interested but the date does not suit you, please email me with a proposed new date.

I will not post again regarding this until Friday when I will send details of the time and location.

Regards
Re: Students Abroad Find Difficulty Getting Graduate Roles by DisGuy: 7:29pm On Dec 06, 2010
Nice initiative

would be nice if you posted this in the Career section too or perhaps I move this there?
Re: Students Abroad Find Difficulty Getting Graduate Roles by kadman(m): 12:20am On Dec 07, 2010
Ell, this is a useful thread and very relevant to me !

I get through the first round of applications, but have been failing my SHL numerical tests for graduate roles. The same case with most of my friends. Although the ones with more experience have been able to secure non-graduate roles. You're so right about the Jews e.t.c helping themselves, let me not even start about that. I would send you an email, and would tell a few of my friends. Thanks !
Re: Students Abroad Find Difficulty Getting Graduate Roles by ell77(f): 3:59pm On Dec 12, 2010
Thank you all for expressing your interest. Please send your CV for review, meeting location to be confirmed tomorrow via email.
Re: Students Abroad Find Difficulty Getting Graduate Roles by AjanleKoko: 2:45pm On Dec 16, 2010
Dis Guy:

Nice initiative

would be nice if you posted this in the Career section too or perhaps I move this there?

Feel free bro.

(1) (Reply)

Lagos Sap Certification Academy / My Little Career Choice Prob. Assistance Please. / Zenith Bank Failed Again To Stop The Sacked Sysytemadmin Trials In Nic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.