|Join Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New|
Stats: 2,713,547 members, 6,411,090 topics. Date: Thursday, 29 July 2021 at 02:34 PM
Is It Right For A Born Again Spirit Filled Christian To Work In These Places?? / Is It Sinful For A Christian To Be Using Chains And Earrings? / Is It A Sin For Guy To Wear Fitted Shirts And Skinny Trousers? (2) (3) (4)
|Is It A Sin For A Christian To Drink Alcohol? by Otoks(m): 8:52am On Dec 04, 2010|
please, what is biblical standard on alcohol. Have read different article on this topic but am not yet convinced. Let me hear your view.
|Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Drink Alcohol? by Ymodulus: 9:47am On Dec 04, 2010|
^^^ Well otok the bible never condem the drinking of alcohol, its never a sin, even paul advice timothy too take some sip so as to impove his ailment. I will try get you some verse to back this.
Its just pastors and christendom of today that air that its wrong to drink alcohol
|Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Drink Alcohol? by tayoast(m): 10:36am On Dec 04, 2010|
poster, do wat u tink is right
|Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Drink Alcohol? by Yorisb: 10:40am On Dec 04, 2010|
''Moderate'' drinking is OK according to the Bible.
|Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Drink Alcohol? by Wumine(f): 12:15pm On Dec 04, 2010|
[center]75 WARNINGS (BIBLE REFERENCES ON DRINKING ALCOHOL)[/center]
1) Genesis 9:20-26 - Noah became drunk; the result was immorality and family trouble.
2) Genesis 19:30-38 - Lot was so drunk he did not know what he was doing; this led to immorality
3) Leviticus 10:9-11 - God commanded priests not to drink so that they could tell the difference between the holy and the unholy.
4) Numbers 6:3 - The Nazarites were told to eat or drink nothing from the grape vine.
5) Deuteronomy 21:20 - A drunken son was stubborn and rebellious.
6) Deuteronomy 29:5-6 - God gave no grape juice to Israel nor did they have intoxicating drink in the wilderness.
7) Deuteronomy 32 : 33 - Intoxicating wine is like the poison of serpents, the cruel venom of asps.
8 ) Judges 13:4, 7, 14 - Samson was to be a Nazarite for life. His mother was told not to drink wine or strong drink.
9) 1 Samuel 1:14-15 - Accused, Hannah said she drank no wine.
10) 1 Samuel 25:32-38 - Nabal died after a drunken spree.
11) 2 Samuel 11:13 - By getting Uriah drunk, David hoped to cover his sin.
12) 2 Samuel 13:28-29 - Amnon was drunk when he was killed.
13) 1 Kings 16:8-10 - The king was drinking himself into drunkenness when he was assassinated
14) 1 Kings 20:12-21 - Ben-Hadad and 32 other kings were drinking when they were attacked and defeated by the Israelites.
15) Esther 1:5-12 - The king gave each one all the drink he wanted. The king was intoxicated when he commanded the queen to come.
16) Psalm 75:8 - The Lord’s anger is pictured as mixed wine poured out and drunk by the wicked.
17) Proverbs 4:17 - Alcoholic drink is called the wine of violence.
18) Proverbs 20:1 - Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging.
19) Proverbs 23:19-20 - A wise person will not be among the drinkers of alcoholic beverages.
20) Proverbs 23:21 - Drunkenness causes poverty.
21) Proverbs 23:29-30 - Drinking causes woe, sorrow, fighting, babbling, wounds without cause and red eyes.
22) Proverbs 23:31 - God instructs not to look at intoxicating drinks.
23) Proverbs 23:32 - Alcoholic drinks bite like a serpent, sting like an adder.
24) Proverbs 23:33 - Alcohol causes the drinker to have strange and adulterous thoughts, produces willfulness, and prevents reformation.
25) Proverbs 23:34 - Alcohol makes the drinker unstable
26) Proverbs 23:35 - Alcohol makes the drinker insensitive to pain so he does not perceive it as a warning. Alcohol is habit forming.
27) Proverb 31:4-5 - Kings, Princes, and others who rule and judge must not drink alcohol. Alcohol perverts good judgment.
28) Proverbs 31:6-7 - Strong drink could be given to those about to perish or those in pain. Better anesthetics are available today.
29) Ecclesiastes 2: 3 - The king tried everything, including intoxicating drink, to see if it satisfied. It did not. (Ecclesiastes 12 :
30) Ecclesiastes 10:17 - A land is blessed when its leaders do not drink.
31) Isaiah 5:11-12 - Woe to those who get up early to drink and stay up late at night to get drunk.
32) Isaiah 5:22 - Woe to "champion" drinkers and "experts" at mixing drinks.
33) Isaiah 19:14 - Drunken men stagger in their vomit.
34) Isaiah 22:12-13 - The Israelites choose to drink; their future looks hopeless to them.
35) Isaiah 24:9 - Drinkers cannot escape the consequences when God judges.
36) Isaiah 28:1 - God pronounces woe on the drunkards of Ephraim.
37) Isaiah 28:3 - Proud drunkards shall be trodden down.
38) Isaiah 28:7 - Priests and prophets stagger and reel from beer and wine, err in vision, and stumble in judgment.
39) Isaiah 28:8 - Drinkers’ tables are covered with vomit and filth.
40) Isaiah 56:9-12 - Drinkers seek their own gain and expect tomorrow to be just like today.
41) Jeremiah 35:2-14 - The Rechabites drank no grape juice or intoxicating wine and were blessed.
42) Ezekiel 44:21 - Again God instructed the priests not to drink wine.
43) Daniel 1:5-17 - Daniel refused the king’s intoxicating wine and was blessed for it along with his abstaining friends.
44) Daniel 5:1 - Belshazzar, ruler of Babylon; led his people in drinking.
45) Daniel 5:2-3 - The king, along with his nobles, wives, and concubines, drank from the goblets which had been taken from God’s temple.
46) Daniel 5:4 - Drinking wine was combined with praising false gods.
47) Daniel 5:23 - God sent word to Belshazzar that punishment would be swift for the evil he had committed.
48) Hosea 4:11 - Intoxicating wine takes away intelligence.
49) Hosea 7:5 - God reproves princes for drinking.
50) Joel 1:5 - Drunkards awake to see God’s judgment.
51) Joel 3:3 - The enemy is judged for selling girls for wine.
52) Amos 2:8 - Unrighteous acts of Israel included the drinking of wine which had been taken for the payment of fines.
53) Amos 2:12 - Israel is condemned for forcing Nazarites to drink wine.
54) Micah 2:11 - Israelites are eager to follow false teachers who prophesy plenty of intoxicating drinks.
55) Nahum 1:10 - The drunkards of Nineveh will be destroyed by God.
56) Habakkuk 2:5 - A man is betrayed by wine.
57) Habakkuk 2:15 - Woe to him that gives his neighbor drink.
58) Habakkuk 2:16 - Drinking leads to shame.
59) Matthew 24:48-51 - A drinking servant is unprepared for his Lord’s return.
60) Luke 1:15 - John the Baptist drank neither grape juice nor wine.
61) Luke 12:45 - Christ warned against drunkenness.
62) Luke 21:34 - Drunkenness will cause a person not to be ready for the Lord’s return.
63) Romans 13:13 - Do not walk in drunkenness or immorality.
64) Romans 14:21 - Do not do anything that will hurt your testimony as a believer.
65) 1 Corinthians 5:11 - If a Christian brother is a drinker, do not associate with him.
66) 1 Corinthians 6:10 - Drunkards will not inherit the kingdom of God
67) Galatians 5:21 - Acts of the sinful nature, such as drunkenness, will prohibit a person from inheriting the kingdom of God.
68) Ephesians 5:18 - In contrast to being drunk with wine, the believer is to be filled with the Spirit.
69) 1 Thessalonians 5:6-7 - Christians are to be alert and self-controlled, belonging to the day. Drunkards belong to the night and darkness.
70) 1 Timothy 3:2-3 - Bishops (elders) are to be temperate, sober, and not near any wine.
71) 1 Timothy 3:8 - Deacons are to be worthy of respect and not drinkers.
72) 1 Timothy 3:11 - Deacons’ wives are to be temperate and sober.
73) Titus 1:7-8 - An overseer is to be disciplined.
74) Titus 2:2-3 - The older men and older women of the church are to be temperate and not addicted to wine.
75) 1 Peter 4:3-4 - The past life of drunkenness and carousing has no place in the Christian’s life.
|Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Drink Alcohol? by violent(m): 1:55pm On Dec 04, 2010|
You shouldn't be like the Pharisees who knew every law, every rule, every historical events and lived their life according to the law. . .you should instead seek to let Jesus grow in you on a daily basis, that is the only way you can tell what is a sin before God and what is not.
Simply reading Bible passages will give you the knowledge. . .it's just like reading any other book. . .but the only way you can be truly saved from sin is communing on a regular basis with the Holy Spirit!
Don't seek Bible passages to justify what is right and what is wrong. . . . if you do, you will be attempting to win your own salvation, which will never be possible. . .the Bible says Jesus is the only way to the Father. . .therefore, seek for a closer communion with him, only he can tell you if drinking is wrong or not!
Besides, i think most of the verses have been quoted out of context. . .i observe that most people just lift a verse from Bible to suit their own need at a point in time or the other. . .this is not exactly the right way to go about things
|Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Drink Alcohol? by Yorisb: 1:57pm On Dec 04, 2010|
|Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Drink Alcohol? by 667: 3:46pm On Dec 04, 2010|
Drink or biblical wine/spirit is a depressant and it puts to in the sub-conscious.
Hence very good. Especially for pastors and religious people.
Drink = Holy Spirit.
|Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Drink Alcohol? by e36991: 5:43pm On Dec 04, 2010|
Otoks asked "Is It A Sin For A Christian To Drink Alcohol?":
Otoks, "no oofeinse", as my good friend Mr Cork aka MrCrackles would say
but really this is tantamount to a destitute of knowledge
- Haba, one still does see when one is crying now. Bible? Read the book naaa!
Please recognise the distinction between DRINK and DRUNK
Drinking alcohol per se is not a sin
The rule of thumb is, if you cant stand the heat, stay away from the kitchen
If you cant handle drink (i.e. can't stay sober with full control of your faculties) then lay off the bottle
In moderation and not in excess is the watchword
There are numerous warnings of the consequences of where drinking has gone too far in bible.
Wumine has generously highlighted and provided the experiences
Ephesian 5:18 BBE:
The bible has hinted or would rather you have a Holy Ghost party - i.e. get drunk with the Holy Spirit rather get drunk with wine
Drinking might flip to a sin for a christian, if the christian does a DUI - Driving under the Influence
(i.e. operates a motor vehicle while the blood alcohol content in the body is above the legal limit set by laws of the land)
|Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Drink Alcohol? by MaiSuya(m): 10:11pm On Dec 04, 2010|
I think the emphasis has always been on drunkenness, and not drinking per se.
|Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Drink Alcohol? by Wumine(f): 11:01am On Dec 06, 2010|
Who are you to judge me Mr. Self-righteous-I-will-get-to-heaven-before-you? The poster asked a question and I answered it by giving biblical references. I don’t know what is bad in that! And why shouldn’t I seek the word of God to justify what is good or bad?
Since you have a personal rapport with the Holy Spirit and know the right way to do things, why not give the poster a direct answer to his question
|Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Drink Alcohol? by firebrand: 11:36am On Dec 06, 2010|
Post #4 by wumine is sufficient for the poster. ABSTAIN from alcohol.
|Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Drink Alcohol? by AKHOZEM: 12:13pm On Dec 06, 2010|
It is not advisable. But is it a sin? Not exactly.
|Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Drink Alcohol? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 9:58am On Dec 07, 2010|
I only sin when I am sober
|Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Drink Alcohol? by galek: 10:22am On Dec 07, 2010|
The Bible says 'BE FILLED WITH THE SPIRIT not strong drink', alcohol intake is a grave sin 'cos U've wickedly polluting God's temple(UR BODY),
|Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Drink Alcohol? by Nobody: 11:54am On Dec 07, 2010|
what crap are you talking about.
Gluttony is a sin in the bible. Does that mean we shouldn't eat. Fasting is a good thing in the bible, will it be a sin if I don't fast?
NA WAH FOR UNA.
EVEN DRINKING TOO MUCH WATER CAUSES MEDICAL PROBLEMS.
MODESTY IS THE WORD. MODESTY! SHOULD I SPELL IT FOR YOUR DUMB ARSES?
THOSE OF YOU WHO QUOTED WHERE THE BIBLE TALKED AGAINST DRUNKENNESS SHOULD ALSO SEARCH AND FIND WHERE THE BIBLE DID NOT CONDEM MODERATE DRINKING.
|Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Drink Alcohol? by ogajim(m): 1:10pm On Dec 07, 2010|
Any Church/Pastor that preaches against drinking is only trying to INDOCTRINATE you pure and simple.
Jesus Christ himself said in Matthew 15:11
"Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man."
Study the Bible for your self and stop taking others' interpretation.
|Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Drink Alcohol? by galek: 2:51pm On Dec 07, 2010|
DAGRIGSS or whatever u call ursf and Other drunks pls and pls try and obey this simple message, dont try to paint it.
|Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Drink Alcohol? by syddo: 3:16pm On Dec 07, 2010|
Some people just see discussions and jump into it without clearly having tangible stuff to contribute. Drinking of achohol is no sin. It will only be a sin when you dont moderate it. Fellas,
|Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Drink Alcohol? by livedit(f): 8:44pm On Dec 07, 2010|
This is a sticky subject. When taking communion, wine is usually given to represent the blood of Christ and a piece of bread/cracker is to represent the body of Christ Jesus. My church home I attend substitutes grape juice instead of wine. But I'm sure not all churches still do that this day in age. I don't drink either alcohol or wine.
Edited to add: I'm sorry, I didn't realize this board are for muslims only. I'm a Christian, not muslim. I'm withdrawing from this discussion. Please forgive me everyone!
|Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Drink Alcohol? by Nobody: 8:28am On Dec 13, 2010|
PAINT WHAT WAS ALREADY PAINTED BY YOUR LIKES. SERIOUSLY I SHALL SPARE MY SELF THE ORDEAL. BELIVE ME YOU WOULD RATHER EAT FROM A DUMPSTER THAN BRING YOUR DRAMA TO ME.
|Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Drink Alcohol? by tck2000(m): 2:30pm On Jul 16, 2020|
|Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Drink Alcohol? by Kobojunkie: 7:27pm On Jul 16, 2020|
This is what God told you to do with the Tithe He commanded of you. He said you should buy alcohol or any other kind of drink you prefer....
|Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health |
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket
Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2021 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 243