Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,511 members, 7,808,866 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:19 PM

Conjoined Twins Successfully Separated In Abuja Hospital - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Conjoined Twins Successfully Separated In Abuja Hospital (43140 Views)

Turkey: Conjoined Twin Babies Successfully Separated After 27-Hour Operation / Another Conjoined Twins Separated In ATBUTH Bauchi (Graphic Pics) / Indian Twin Kids Joined At The Skull Have Been Successfully Separated (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Conjoined Twins Successfully Separated In Abuja Hospital by Theenchanter2: 10:13pm On Jan 08, 2020
A conjoined set of twins that had one liver, a protruding tummy and a lower chest were successfully separated, in a 12-hour surgery involving 78 medical personnel, at the National medical center, Abuja

The leader of the team that performed the surgery, Prof Emmanuel Ameh, said the twins had to be monitored for 15 months before the separation was done.

“One of the major challenges was that the twins came with their intestines bulging out of the lower part of the tummy, which we quickly resolved.

The conjoined twins after the surgery
“We also needed to determine if they could survive separately after separation. We found out that they had two separate hearts that were normal, but with a common cover. They also shared the lower half of the chest and there was only one liver serving the two of them. Other organs were separate and normal.”

Ameh added that before the surgery, the twins needed to grow well in order to withstand the complex surgery. He noted that nutrition and infection control were critical in the preparation.

He added, “We celebrated their first birthday in the ward still conjoined. The surgery was performed on November 14, 2019. By that time they were 15 months-old. A total of 78 medical staff was involved in the 12 and a half hour surgery. We even planned to spend 48 hours, if there was a need for it. After that, the twins spent a week at the Intensive Care Unit before they were taken to the ward.”

If the parents had the means, they would have gone abroad like some other Nigerians and spent at least an equivalent of N20m in foreign currency. It is cheaper doing the surgery here. We cannot quantify the amount spent on the surgery.”

It was not the first time that conjoined twins were separated in a similar operation in a Nigerian hospital. On May 14, 2018, a team of surgeons successfully separated four-month-old conjoined twins at the Federal Medical Centre, Yola.

Also, the University of Abuja Teaching Hospital on June 11 2018, announced that it has separated a conjoined twins

https://punchng.com/78-medical-officers-separate-conjoined-twins-in-12-hour-operation/

34 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Conjoined Twins Successfully Separated In Abuja Hospital by yanabasee(m): 10:35pm On Jan 08, 2020
Nice one.....

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Conjoined Twins Successfully Separated In Abuja Hospital by sLentlover7778(m): 11:05pm On Jan 08, 2020
Nigeria, one day I know say you go make me proud..

But I was determined to never give up when the embassy say I shouldn't apply for Canadian visa again. Now I can join my brother papilo and say.. it's in you.. grin grin grin

102 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Conjoined Twins Successfully Separated In Abuja Hospital by Nobody: 12:15am On Jan 09, 2020
shocked
Nigeria is blessed...

We even have Ben Carson!! grin shocked

42 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Conjoined Twins Successfully Separated In Abuja Hospital by shakyum: 9:29am On Jan 09, 2020
Speechless me shocked shocked shocked
Re: Conjoined Twins Successfully Separated In Abuja Hospital by Flygeriansteve: 9:29am On Jan 09, 2020
This is fantastic news! Kudos to the professor.

It further shows that our politicians do not need all the medical tourism they go on.

If we can separate conjoined twins here, why will you ask the court to let you travel abroad because your leg is paining you?!

44 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Conjoined Twins Successfully Separated In Abuja Hospital by Onlinealaba(m): 9:30am On Jan 09, 2020
Gifted hands. We have a lot of best brains here just lacking an enabling facilities to make them grow .I think there will be decline in medical tour and boost our own economy.
We sell affordable quality Smart TVs

5 Likes

Re: Conjoined Twins Successfully Separated In Abuja Hospital by Moisepoise: 9:30am On Jan 09, 2020
Let somebody shout hallelujah. What a great news

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Conjoined Twins Successfully Separated In Abuja Hospital by Flowebber: 9:30am On Jan 09, 2020
Hmm

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Conjoined Twins Successfully Separated In Abuja Hospital by SKINDOGGY: 9:30am On Jan 09, 2020
sLentlover7778:
Nigerians, one day I know say you go make me proud..

but I was determined to never give up when the embassy say I shouldn't apply for Canadian visa again. Now I can join my brother papilo and say Peak.. it's in you.. grin grin grin
Mad oohhh grin

2 Likes

Re: Conjoined Twins Successfully Separated In Abuja Hospital by Nobody: 9:31am On Jan 09, 2020
It's not a matter of let somebody shout hallelujah. They said those twins shared one kidney ABI liver? Wetin the other one go dey use now? ABI govt don dey produce human spare parts ni? Or I'm I the only dullard here?

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Conjoined Twins Successfully Separated In Abuja Hospital by Trinidy5: 9:31am On Jan 09, 2020
shocked shocked shocked

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Conjoined Twins Successfully Separated In Abuja Hospital by Funkybabee(f): 9:31am On Jan 09, 2020
Wonderful

Check my sign!!!!

A party without cake is just like a meeting

Send a special cake to your love ones

Cakes a sweetest slice of paradise
Re: Conjoined Twins Successfully Separated In Abuja Hospital by MISTAICEY02288(m): 9:31am On Jan 09, 2020
Beautiful
Re: Conjoined Twins Successfully Separated In Abuja Hospital by tophumble(m): 9:33am On Jan 09, 2020
This is great
Re: Conjoined Twins Successfully Separated In Abuja Hospital by Sazzay(m): 9:33am On Jan 09, 2020
Re: Conjoined Twins Successfully Separated In Abuja Hospital by sagitariusbaby(m): 9:33am On Jan 09, 2020
Na still oyinbo equipment them use, maybe some oyinbo even dey among the team... Tueh to anything Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Conjoined Twins Successfully Separated In Abuja Hospital by Temptee101(m): 9:33am On Jan 09, 2020
Good news

First comment of the year, just got back from a lengthy ban.

These mods should fear God small, they ban people indiscriminately for airing their views on a social platform.

Happy New year to you all
Re: Conjoined Twins Successfully Separated In Abuja Hospital by Mile18(m): 9:33am On Jan 09, 2020
Thumbs up Nigerian Doctors, those guys deserve some accolades.

4 Likes

Re: Conjoined Twins Successfully Separated In Abuja Hospital by XOGBADO(m): 9:33am On Jan 09, 2020
Wow... This is the kind of news we want to be hearing. Thumbs up to the doctors
Re: Conjoined Twins Successfully Separated In Abuja Hospital by guru90: 9:34am On Jan 09, 2020
Doctors gat heart ooooh.... May una Respect doctors very well.....

4 Likes

Re: Conjoined Twins Successfully Separated In Abuja Hospital by Enemyofpeace: 9:34am On Jan 09, 2020
I smell lies

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Conjoined Twins Successfully Separated In Abuja Hospital by Nobody: 9:35am On Jan 09, 2020
You wont see pastors telling the parents not to go for an operation in such cases, but if na CS now our dumb pastors would start rebuking by fire and force.

8 Likes

Re: Conjoined Twins Successfully Separated In Abuja Hospital by Pulsenaija: 9:35am On Jan 09, 2020
Ok
Re: Conjoined Twins Successfully Separated In Abuja Hospital by Geekamon(m): 9:35am On Jan 09, 2020
They both were sharing one liver, how did they work around that factor? Just curious
Re: Conjoined Twins Successfully Separated In Abuja Hospital by DrHighchief(m): 9:36am On Jan 09, 2020
Kudos to d medical team...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Egg Donor Chronicles: My Experience In A Nigerian Fertility Clinic (with Pics) / Sanwo-olu Commissions Face-Mask Factory In Lagos (Photos) / Coronavirus: 3 Chinese Quarantined In Plateau

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.