Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,810 members, 7,802,608 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:16 PM

Detailed Advice In Starting A Filling Station In Nigeria - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Detailed Advice In Starting A Filling Station In Nigeria (32928 Views)

Filling Station In Ogidi Anambra Sells Water As Fuel (Pictures, Video) / Fatgbems Fuel Station In Abeokuta Dispenses Water To Motorists Instead Of Petrol / Fire Guts Shema Mega Petrol Filling Station In Abuja (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Detailed Advice In Starting A Filling Station In Nigeria by femi4: 11:20am On Jan 09, 2020
WebSurfer:
I am here to look through typical Nigerians and nairalanders private proposals instead of opinions wink

Modified: haha see them above and below
They havnt set up meeting to change their lives
grin
Re: Detailed Advice In Starting A Filling Station In Nigeria by frozen70(f): 11:26am On Jan 09, 2020
felong:
Please I Need Detailed Advice In Starting A Filling Station

Good evening nairalanders. please I would appreciate it if I'm given a detailed breakdown of what it would cost to open an run a filling station.
also someone a friend advised that franchising would be good I would be operating with a branded name. so which independent oil marker in Nigeria is the best for franchise.

My location is Abakaliki Ebony state. I will also like to know how many tankers I call sell on an average per month in a place like Abakaliki.
thanks.

Why not make your research in your locality where you intend establishing your station

What you will get from here us a guess advise

Go round your area of concentration and get information from first hand people who are experienced in it
Re: Detailed Advice In Starting A Filling Station In Nigeria by Lastmankc(m): 11:28am On Jan 09, 2020
jasmine1600:
Am so disappointed in people on this forum, people here are mostly kids.
Can’t even get a reasonable response
Your eye just dey clear abi? Toddlers are much on this forum, I saw this on 1st of January when most of them uploaded their new year pictures here. What pains me most was a boy of 10yrs that uploaded his picture also. That was when I vowed never to trade words with most people here because you might be talking with kids thus truncating your self respect

2 Likes

Re: Detailed Advice In Starting A Filling Station In Nigeria by ProtectMyMoney: 11:28am On Jan 09, 2020
felong:

Good evening nairalanders. please I would in a place like Abakaliki.
thanks.

Before you can start filling station, you need to visit DPR. EIA (Environment impact Assessment ) will be carried out. For the intended site. If approved, then you can commence process of obtaining Licence to build etc..etc visit DPR website for more information.
Re: Detailed Advice In Starting A Filling Station In Nigeria by Powerexpert: 11:29am On Jan 09, 2020
To power the station, you can contact me for generator, transformer or solar.

Wish you the best in your decision
Re: Detailed Advice In Starting A Filling Station In Nigeria by Cchuks27(m): 11:30am On Jan 09, 2020
Just ensure you make use (engage) of a reputable company and EVERYTHING is documented and signed (may need a lawyer). Most importantly, don't trust anyone (I can't over stress this).
I'm still healing from my goof last year.

1 Like

Re: Detailed Advice In Starting A Filling Station In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:35am On Jan 09, 2020
felong:

I want detailed collective information that's why I posted it here not private meetings with strangers. I've already gotten personal opinions from people close to me. I want to compare them with that I'll get here.
thanks anyway.

You are not serious. Whose opinions? Is this some kind of online business? When you are ready, you will leave your house to ask people in the business relevant questions. That's even if you are real
Re: Detailed Advice In Starting A Filling Station In Nigeria by H2ho(m): 11:37am On Jan 09, 2020
AngryIgboMan:
Many scammers and kidnappers are here. Beware of who you contact or meet.

No matter how juicy or true it sounds, its mostly bollocks.

Real Legit people will barely share information with you because they don't want competition. The industry is almost saturated.

Tankiu
Op...follow his advice...this business mostly belong to powerful/connected people in the country (MD/CEO/Politicians) my uncle has one and I won't say Jack!
Re: Detailed Advice In Starting A Filling Station In Nigeria by Omolewu(m): 11:37am On Jan 09, 2020
When international community is shifting to electric cars,we are building more filling station herd...
Re: Detailed Advice In Starting A Filling Station In Nigeria by mcameo: 11:41am On Jan 09, 2020
franchasng:
You cannot get a free and reliable information from here. I am privy to the info you want but I cannot disclose it freely here and no other serious business owner will do that, so give that guy you rejected his offer for a private meeting a listening ear.

Info like this you are seeking are hardly gotten free on air, this is someone's business secret you want spread openly knowing how good Nigerians are in photocopying business idea until the business sector is oversaturated and ruined for all

What is getting a heads up, on starting a gas station, a secret. They are everywhere. If you dont anything sensible to add, please leave for sensible people to advice.

3 Likes

Re: Detailed Advice In Starting A Filling Station In Nigeria by adonainana: 11:44am On Jan 09, 2020
GeoAfrikana:
EFF filling station, EFF hotels!!!

If I have your type of money today here's what I'll do;

I'll purchase one hectare of farmland in one remote part of Osun or Oyo. I'll ensure that the land has a stream close to it and cattle rearers don't graze around the area*.

Then I'll build hundreds of langstroth bee hives and install. Honey money is sweet money.

Be lying to yourself, the best business in Nigeria for the last 30 years has been Oil and Entertainment streamlined into Petrol station for the final consumers and hotels, clubs, lounges for the latter

I know a hotel that makes 5 million naira per month after expenses in Lagos. Insane money

Honey ko, Honeywell ni

3 Likes

Re: Detailed Advice In Starting A Filling Station In Nigeria by kayojosephy(m): 11:52am On Jan 09, 2020
felong:

Good evening nairalanders. please I would appreciate it if I'm given a detailed breakdown of what it would cost to open an run a filling station.
also someone a friend advised that franchising would be good I would be operating with a branded name. so which independent oil marker in Nigeria is the best for franchise.

My location is Abakaliki Ebony state. I will also like to know how many tankers I call sell on an average per month in a place like Abakaliki.
thanks.
I am not a filling station owner but I currently work in one as a supervisor(An NNPC Retail branded one) and I must tell you that you cannot determine your total sales output on a daily basis unless you start due to so many factors people consider, which are..
1: A trusted branded name (NNPC most especially, people think it belongs to the government and its well regulated I.e cheating will be at the bearest minimum or totally avoided).
2: Your opening and closing hours help people to always patronise you because its most likely they can get to you even at odd hours (4:30am to 11:00pm)..
3: Your meter reading is another factor People consider, all filling stations manipulate, they just do it more than the others, in other words so not overdo... (And your managers and engineers need to be monitored to avoid unfair manipulation)...
4: Availability of products even in the period of scarcity makes people stick with you thereby driving sales high..
5: You can give credit vouchers to banks, schools, companies and other organisations around you and making them trust you that the required quantity they sent their drivers or whoever is what is sold to them and payment is done weekly or monthly depending on the payment schedule agreed...
Doing all these will sure drive your sales up as we sell between 17000 ltrs and 21000 ltrs a day despite been surrounded by numerous filling stations whose average sales are around 5000ltrs and 10000ltrs daily...

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Detailed Advice In Starting A Filling Station In Nigeria by lonewolf777: 11:53am On Jan 09, 2020
GeoAfrikana:

No p at all, you may send me a dm
I sent a pm
Re: Detailed Advice In Starting A Filling Station In Nigeria by adonainana: 11:54am On Jan 09, 2020
Torg77:

And how much is the profit on one full tanker?

Its depends on your landing cost. Now here is how it works.

1. Firstly it depends on whether you have a license to lift PMS (~ Petrol ) from the NNPC depots
2. If you have a license to lift of NNPC depots, then God don butter your bread
3. With your license you will be able to lift at 138 naira per litre
4. Remember the GOVT has fixed it price per litre at 145 naira
5. By purcvhasing at 138 naira and selling at 145 per litre thats almost a 7 naira profit per litre
6. A tanker has roughly 33,000 worth of litres, so you can do the maths as to your profitability
7. Now imagine a filling station in a urban busy area where people come to a lot, its turnover will be faster and it can always go and load and unload
8. Some filling station make at least some up to 3 million naira net profit a month

OR
1. if you are unable to get a license to lift PMS from NNPC depot for 138 naira
2. The God hasnt really buttered your bread ooo
3. You will have to buy PMS from those who met conditions 1-3 above
4. Your profit margin will be lower so your overall profit will be lower

Also it costs about the same amount of expenses to run any petrol station whether it is buying PMS from NNPC or from Shell or whatever, they end up
1. Runnning the same generator costs
2. Paying the same staff the same amount
3. Theft of the revenue of the same amount

So hope this helps

I run a filling station so telling from the action line

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Detailed Advice In Starting A Filling Station In Nigeria by shurlah(m): 11:54am On Jan 09, 2020
I have land near stream in Oyo state, let's discus
GeoAfrikana:
EFF filling station, EFF hotels!!!

If I have your type of money today here's what I'll do;

I'll purchase one hectare of farmland in one remote part of Osun or Oyo. I'll ensure that the land has a stream close to it and cattle rearers don't graze around the area*.

Then I'll build hundreds of langstroth bee hives and install. Honey money is sweet money.

1 Like

Re: Detailed Advice In Starting A Filling Station In Nigeria by DNSPro: 11:56am On Jan 09, 2020
felong:

thanks.

Bros, filling station is a saturated niche of business. I don't know why most of you with lots of money find it hard to identify untapped niches to venture into.

Chai. Filling station and hotel business is a no no no for me.
Re: Detailed Advice In Starting A Filling Station In Nigeria by adeshina86: 12:04pm On Jan 09, 2020
@poster should contact me...I managed 32 filling station for over 5yrs...mostly in the northern region of Nigeria..
Re: Detailed Advice In Starting A Filling Station In Nigeria by Branduche: 12:05pm On Jan 09, 2020
Bros, franchise has lots of benefits as a dealer including getting credit facility in products

And this your just paint your filing station isn’t best practice. When doing your dpr license, u need to have pictures of your filing station submitted to the regional office and book a date for inspection, all this is also included in the 50 million. so how will u just paint it with nnpc paint. Try to get your facts right..

Build to standard and lower expenses or build under standard and makes all your profit sort expenses. That’s left to the OP to do.
LTRAVIS:

I work in the refinery,he doesn’t need to meet them just paint the place with Nnpc logo ,don’t stress yourself that’s what dae do in Warri...50m for filling station he should do any other business a filling station is not more than 10m to build,the cost of land is not inclusive ,underground tanks are sold for 800k he needs like 3 , 2 in 1 pump is 1.5m for (petrotec) single pump is 1m ,in Benin ...
Re: Detailed Advice In Starting A Filling Station In Nigeria by Branduche: 12:09pm On Jan 09, 2020
Depending on your location
130-220k
Torg77:

And how much is the profit on one full tanker?
Re: Detailed Advice In Starting A Filling Station In Nigeria by danniepizo: 12:14pm On Jan 09, 2020
My brother. Im in the business and tbh it isn't as profitable as it used to be as an independent marketer. The big companies are shortly edging us out.
But for you to kick off the most important thing is location.
You need a busy area.
First you get approval ti build a station. Then construct. Then register with DPR and NNPC to be a marketer.
They give your marketers code. Dpr gives you bulk storage and sales licence. Equip your station with tanks and pumps and start buying products from NNPC or from Lagos depots or private depots.
There is so much in between each step but yeah...all the beat
felong:

thanks.
Re: Detailed Advice In Starting A Filling Station In Nigeria by Aaaaarghmed(m): 12:18pm On Jan 09, 2020
danduchi:
it not as lucrative as you think except you have strong ground with IPMAN..
exactly what one of my cousin who was a filling station manager said,but what I know is that u cannot go hungry if u own one .it's an investment.
Re: Detailed Advice In Starting A Filling Station In Nigeria by Nostradamus: 12:18pm On Jan 09, 2020
cool
Re: Detailed Advice In Starting A Filling Station In Nigeria by Okpotud(m): 12:21pm On Jan 09, 2020
Which area in abakaliki is your location? I can help you greatly cos I'm running a station somewhere in Enugu u can reachout to me for more details
Re: Detailed Advice In Starting A Filling Station In Nigeria by PattyMike(m): 12:30pm On Jan 09, 2020
There's a hotel in my neighborhood that is up for sale at 32Million. Amazing place, interlocked wide compound for party rentage etc. By standards it is by far the best in that neighborhood and let's say in a 20km mile radius but the owner is not turning profits because honestly the place is boring dead. All that place needs is a pool and it'll be flocked in with people and a club. It's a shame really cus the built it in a high standard taste. The exteriors are tiled walls and beautiful it has about 15-20 rooms. E just dey pain me say that kind beauty in this kind neighborhood lack proper management to liven it up. It's up for 32 million and negotiable but honestly if I had the money I would grab it with both hands and turn that place to a fun lounge. I don go hotels so I can boldly say it's a standard 3 star hotel. I dey feel bad for the owner seriously cus nah distress sale. Location is around sango ota. About 2 kms to sango literally no competition but horrible management in my opinion.
Re: Detailed Advice In Starting A Filling Station In Nigeria by GeoAfrikana(m): 12:30pm On Jan 09, 2020
lonewolf777:

I sent a pm

Replied
Re: Detailed Advice In Starting A Filling Station In Nigeria by SavageResponse(m): 12:31pm On Jan 09, 2020
LTRAVIS:

I work in the refinery,he doesn’t need to meet them just paint the place with Nnpc logo ,don’t stress yourself that’s what dae do in Warri...50m for filling station he should do any other business a filling station is not more than 10m to build,the cost of land is not inclusive ,underground tanks are sold for 800k he needs like 3 , 2 in 1 pump is 1.5m for (petrotec) single pump is 1m ,in Benin ...

Olodo!

So he should just go ahead and paint his place with NNPC logo and colour without seeking approval first

Do you even know what copyright infringement is?

It's obvious you learnt your trade in a roadside petrol dealer's facility
Re: Detailed Advice In Starting A Filling Station In Nigeria by SavageResponse(m): 12:34pm On Jan 09, 2020
PattyMike:
There's a hotel in my neighborhood that is up for sale at 32Million. Amazing place, interlocked wide compound for party rentage etc. By standards it is by far the best in that neighborhood and let's say in a 20km mile radius but the owner is not turning profits because honestly the place is boring dead. All that place needs is a pool and it'll be flocked in with people and a club. It's a shame really cus the built it in a high standard taste. The exteriors are tiled walls and beautiful it has about 15-20 rooms. E just dey pain me say that kind beauty in this kind neighborhood lack proper management to liven it up. It's up for 32 million and negotiable but honestly if I had the money I would grab it with both hands and turn that place to a fun lounge. I don go hotels so I can boldly say it's a standard 3 star hotel. I dey feel bad for the owner seriously cus nah distress sale. Location is around sango ota. About 2 kms to sango literally no competition but horrible management in my opinion.

Have you ever actually managed a hotel before in your life or you think you can just get positive results by mere wishful thinking?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Detailed Advice In Starting A Filling Station In Nigeria by GeoAfrikana(m): 12:36pm On Jan 09, 2020
adonainana:

Be lying to yourself, the best business in Nigeria for the last 30 years has been Oil and Entertainment streamlined into Petrol station for the final consumers and hotels, clubs, lounges for the latter

I know a hotel that makes 5 million naira per month after expenses in Lagos. Insane money

Honey ko, Honeywell ni

Who cares?! It isn't always about money, passion matters and believe that I'm making impact.

If I don't believe that a business affects lives positively I can't go into it. My motivation is in improving lives not in watching the money pile up. Everyone has their source of motivation.
Re: Detailed Advice In Starting A Filling Station In Nigeria by BleedTears: 12:38pm On Jan 09, 2020
felong:

thanks.

1. Do not meet all this arrangy people here because if you do you will certainly use the filling station money to pay ransom for your kidnap.

2. Franchise: If you're not in the business you'll think people who franchise are making it big. I won't say much here for security reasons. But note when you franchise your filling station you will be monitored 24hrs, and if there is fuel scarcity and the company doesn't have fuel to give you, you are not allowed to source for yourself etc.

3. For people saying they don't go to any how filling stations, is simply because those anyhow filling stations are very tattered. Do you know why people go to shoprite and those big supermarket is because they're classic.
It's a human nature to be attracted to something classic and beautiful.

Build your filling station with your business name, and spend money on giving the premises a class of touch

1 Like

Re: Detailed Advice In Starting A Filling Station In Nigeria by adonainana: 12:38pm On Jan 09, 2020
DNSPro:

Bros, filling station is a saturated niche of business. I don't know why most of you with lots of money find it hard to identify untapped niches to venture into.

Chai. [b]Filling station and hotel business [/b]is a no no no for me.

There is no other business you can make crazy money from except hotel and petrol station,

Some hotels make crazy millions a month and some busy petrol stations make millions in net profit a month

Insane money, every other thing in the Nigerian Economy is a waste of time

A complete waste of time
Re: Detailed Advice In Starting A Filling Station In Nigeria by adonainana: 12:41pm On Jan 09, 2020
GeoAfrikana:

Who cares?! It isn't always about money, passion matters and believe that I'm making impact.

If I don't believe that a business affects lives positively I can't go into it. My motivation is in improving lives not in watching the money pile up. Everyone has their source of motivation.

So the honey will improve the lives of 180 million nigerians, the money they lick the honey, the more thier problems will finish.

Issokay, i dont thin k you understand how capitalism works yet

But isssokay okay

1 Like

Re: Detailed Advice In Starting A Filling Station In Nigeria by Adiwana: 12:44pm On Jan 09, 2020
felong:

thanks.

Come along to this thread and meet a known oil guy in Ahiboilandgas
https://www.nairaland.com/878880/treasury-bills-nigeria/1039

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nigerians Lament Bank App Crashes As Transaction Failure Persists / Onyema Denies US Fraud Allegations, Says All Money Transferred Went Through CBN / Top Online Business That Has Made Most Young People Millionaires In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.