Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,233 members, 7,807,773 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:58 PM

Where Are Our Women, Our Divas? - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Where Are Our Women, Our Divas? (25214 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Where Are Our Women, Our Divas? by mantosa(m): 10:25am On Jan 09, 2020
Last week, I had cause to look at my perceived poor collaborations among Nigerian female entertainers. In the said essay, I expressed worries over the sad development, noting that one of its resultant effects is that it’d reduce the output of the women in the game, blur their shine and send some home too early. Reflecting on that essay now, I thought deeper to behold, to my astonishment, that what I predicted has already been happening, only that we didn’t see my point as one of the reasons.

It is true that Nigerian entertainment industry is operating on a very high velocity. It is also true that the industry is speeding on a fast lane where the weak is pushed down to crawl on the sidewalks. But I am certain that on that fast lane, there are handrails for those with weaker spirits to cling on. I mean, in that speeding train, there are places for the feeble minded to cling on, only that the culture of sisterhood hasn’t been made manifest like that of brotherhood, because as there are weak female musicians who need pushing to go forward, there are even more weaker male musicians who we don’t see their weaknesses because they have brothers watching their backs. The ladies, sadly, hardly ever watch one another’s backs, even when I agree that the industry is male dominated and have a masculine face; yet, it hasn’t stopped any woman artiste from climbing to the pinnacle where the men are.

So, in the light of the above stated concerns, I’d love to ask; where are the likes of Kel, who wowed us with “Waa Wa Alright”, where is Mo chedah of Knighthouse Entertainment, Stormrex of Penthauze (whom we thought would take over the industry with Phyno behind her), Splash with her krunk raps that had us all looking towards a sustained hip hop career, Emma Nyra of the Triple MG fame, the controversial Cynthia Morgan, Ruby Gyang of Loopy Records/ Chocolate City fame, etc. These ladies left music in their prime, with either just one album or few singles and we never really heard from them again.

Omawunmi and Waje are managing to sustain their presence with their friendship which is paying off, slowly, and of course we know that Weird MC, Blaise and Bouqui also left too early, even though they may be classified under the women legendary category, judging from the time they came and left, however, we may exclude Blaise from whom we neither got an album nor sustained couple of singles.

The likes of Chidinma, Aramide and Mz Kiss are just there, like, just there. Chidinma recently got a break to reinvent herself with the 40 Years EP, a joint effort with Flavour, on whom she clung. The other ladies are just underdogs whereas they are not supposed to. Seyi Shay is gradually joining this list as she hasn’t been on her remarkable best lately.

With just the exception of Tiwa Savage, Yemi Alade, Simi, Niniola and Teni, Nigerian music industry could as well pass for an all male affair, judging from the number of men in the business. Whereas others may blame any structure or factor they wish to, I remain consistent in calling out our sisters in the industry to do more for themselves, they should emulate their Nollywood and Literature counterparts who are moving mountains due to collaborations.

So, like Chidinma has done with Flavour, I am looking forward to a joint EP from Aramide and Mz Kiss, a collaboration from Tiwa and Yemi and yes, we would love to hear the Apata sisters on one song.

While we crave to have more women in the music scene, we must always remember to encourage the ones there already to sustain the movement. Where are our women, our divas?

source- http://tushmagazine.com.ng/where-are-our-women-our-divas/

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Where Are Our Women, Our Divas? by Jestin: 1:39pm On Jan 09, 2020
Everyone is on fast lane the female folks are not ready to be a Malian .

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Where Are Our Women, Our Divas? by ezimo777(m): 1:39pm On Jan 09, 2020
Them dey

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Where Are Our Women, Our Divas? by CAPSLOCKED: 1:39pm On Jan 09, 2020
THEY'RE IN DUBAI PURSUING THEIR REAL CAREERS IN ARAB MEN'S MANSIONS.

98 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Where Are Our Women, Our Divas? by GOFRONT(m): 1:39pm On Jan 09, 2020
cool

1 Like

Re: Where Are Our Women, Our Divas? by joshuaidibia(m): 1:40pm On Jan 09, 2020
Wow!!! I just got a deposit of 1 million naira by reading this thread. Thanks OP sad

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Where Are Our Women, Our Divas? by GOFRONT(m): 1:40pm On Jan 09, 2020
They have all gone on a Hoeing spree...

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Where Are Our Women, Our Divas? by realwiz1(m): 1:40pm On Jan 09, 2020
Some came in just for the limelight just in case you know, and once they’ve got that, it’s cash out..if u know you know grin

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Where Are Our Women, Our Divas? by emmabest2000(m): 1:41pm On Jan 09, 2020
Tiwa is the smartest by attaching her self on Wizkid

if not, she would have been among them grin

71 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Where Are Our Women, Our Divas? by Roon9(m): 1:41pm On Jan 09, 2020
Hmmm! Well at least we have thousands of "female actresses" wink

Call for our 250,000mAH lithium-ion solar powerbank that could power your TV, laptop, and up to 4 lighting points for up to 10 hours daily

2 Likes

Re: Where Are Our Women, Our Divas? by oodua1stson: 1:41pm On Jan 09, 2020
Perhaps they lack the talent. And the few ones with talent like Omawunmi and co don go born

7 Likes

Re: Where Are Our Women, Our Divas? by TRUSTEDGUY: 1:41pm On Jan 09, 2020
Please don't take it up on them. Working in Naija is not easy at all ooo.

3 Likes

Re: Where Are Our Women, Our Divas? by Zeinymira(f): 1:41pm On Jan 09, 2020
Kween the jebele Queen

12 Likes

Re: Where Are Our Women, Our Divas? by Simplebeauty: 1:41pm On Jan 09, 2020
grin grin

fame is ephemeral..and glamour is fleeting

7 Likes

Re: Where Are Our Women, Our Divas? by lilybonny(f): 1:41pm On Jan 09, 2020
Just passing by smiley
Re: Where Are Our Women, Our Divas? by QuietHammer(m): 1:43pm On Jan 09, 2020
joshuaidibia:
Wow!!! I just got a deposit of 1 million naira by reading this thread. Thanks OP sad
I just gave you one like. Manage it well 'cos you won't get another till next month.

Like beggar

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Where Are Our Women, Our Divas? by Tobimillar1(m): 1:43pm On Jan 09, 2020
Bouqui my crush that year

5 Likes

Re: Where Are Our Women, Our Divas? by Nobody: 1:44pm On Jan 09, 2020
I don't really know what happened to Cynthia Morgan.
As for Emma Nyra she has given up in music I believe all she have in mind now is to take care of her twins.
Stormrex is now in abroad studying and am sure she ain't coming back to the industry.
As for Chidimma, I don't know if she's married to Flavour now or they're just servicing each other.

47 Likes 1 Share

Re: Where Are Our Women, Our Divas? by Daviddson(m): 1:45pm On Jan 09, 2020
When all they sing is love, sex and romance, what do you expect? grin

But of course, that applies to both the male and female singers. The majority of the former have reportedly resorted to yahoo as side hustle while the ladies have ?

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Where Are Our Women, Our Divas? by damijoe77: 1:45pm On Jan 09, 2020
In a tough and rough society like naija it's not easy for d female folk's in terms of career.its either dey re bin trampled on or bin oppressed.

2 Likes

Re: Where Are Our Women, Our Divas? by Timekeeper: 1:46pm On Jan 09, 2020
We don't have women again, what will have are listed below;

Bitches
Leeches
Mami water girls
Slay mamas
Olosho
Men hater
Corporate prostitutes

10 Likes

Re: Where Are Our Women, Our Divas? by Nobody: 1:46pm On Jan 09, 2020
You get time op

1 Like

Re: Where Are Our Women, Our Divas? by bukkysam(f): 1:46pm On Jan 09, 2020
ok
Re: Where Are Our Women, Our Divas? by joshuaidibia(m): 1:47pm On Jan 09, 2020
QuietHammer:

I just gave you one like. Manage it well 'cos you won't get another till next month.

Like beggar

Congratulations. You just fed me this afternoon.

5 Likes

Re: Where Are Our Women, Our Divas? by nabegibeg: 1:48pm On Jan 09, 2020
mantosa:
Last week, I had cause to look at my perceived poor collaborations among Nigerian female entertainers. In the said essay, I expressed worries over the sad development, noting that one of its resultant effects is that it’d reduce the output of the women in the game, blur their shine and send some home too early. Reflecting on that essay now, I thought deeper to behold, to my astonishment, that what I predicted has already been happening, only that we didn’t see my point as one of the reasons.

It is true that Nigerian entertainment industry is operating on a very high velocity. It is also true that the industry is speeding on a fast lane where the weak is pushed down to crawl on the sidewalks. But I am certain that on that fast lane, there are handrails for those with weaker spirits to cling on. I mean, in that speeding train, there are places for the feeble minded to cling on, only that the culture of sisterhood hasn’t been made manifest like that of brotherhood, because as there are weak female musicians who need pushing to go forward, there are even more weaker male musicians who we don’t see their weaknesses because they have brothers watching their backs. The ladies, sadly, hardly ever watch one another’s backs, even when I agree that the industry is male dominated and have a masculine face; yet, it hasn’t stopped any woman artiste from climbing to the pinnacle where the men are.

So, in the light of the above stated concerns, I’d love to ask; where are the likes of Kel, who wowed us with “Waa Wa Alright”, where is Mo chedah of Knighthouse Entertainment, Stormrex of Penthauze (whom we thought would take over the industry with Phyno behind her), Splash with her krunk raps that had us all looking towards a sustained hip hop career, Emma Nyra of the Triple MG fame, the controversial Cynthia Morgan, Ruby Gyang of Loopy Records/ Chocolate City fame, etc. These ladies left music in their prime, with either just one album or few singles and we never really heard from them again.

Omawunmi and Waje are managing to sustain their presence with their friendship which is paying off, slowly, and of course we know that Weird MC, Blaise and Bouqui also left too early, even though they may be classified under the women legendary category, judging from the time they came and left, however, we may exclude Blaise from whom we neither got an album nor sustained couple of singles.

The likes of Chidinma, Aramide and Mz Kiss are just there, like, just there. Chidinma recently got a break to reinvent herself with the 40 Years EP, a joint effort with Flavour, on whom she clung. The other ladies are just underdogs whereas they are not supposed to. Seyi Shay is gradually joining this list as she hasn’t been on her remarkable best lately.

With just the exception of Tiwa Savage, Yemi Alade, Simi, Niniola and Teni, Nigerian music industry could as well pass for an all male affair, judging from the number of men in the business. Whereas others may blame any structure or factor they wish to, I remain consistent in calling out our sisters in the industry to do more for themselves, they should emulate their Nollywood and Literature counterparts who are moving mountains due to collaborations.

So, like Chidinma has done with Flavour, I am looking forward to a joint EP from Aramide and Mz Kiss, a collaboration from Tiwa and Yemi and yes, we would love to hear the Apata sisters on one song.

While we crave to have more women in the music scene, we must always remember to encourage the ones there already to sustain the movement. Where are our women, our divas?

source- http://tushmagazine.com.ng/where-are-our-women-our-divas/

1 Like

Re: Where Are Our Women, Our Divas? by ukaface(f): 1:49pm On Jan 09, 2020
Eva Alordiah

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

'My Darlin' Video By Tiwa Savage Ft "Grandma Savage" / BET 2017: Wizkid, Tekno, Davido Nominated For Best International Act Africa / Psquare Live In Zambia (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.