Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,637 members, 7,801,836 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:29 AM

Why Is It So Hard To Find A Job In Nigeria? - Jobs/Vacancies (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Why Is It So Hard To Find A Job In Nigeria? (30918 Views)

FG Uncovers 925 Hard-to-fill Vacancies In Labour Market / 80k Job In Sokoto Or Relocate To Abuja To Hustle Please Advice. / How To Get A Job In Australia From Nigeria As A Graduate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is It So Hard To Find A Job In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:55pm On Jan 10, 2020
DexterousOne:

Well
From what you wrote
You don t have a good understanding of demography.

China and India has a bigger population

But a smaller population GROWTH RATE than Nigeria 4
Nigeria is top 5 | top 10 in population growth rate
Until that is arrested
Every economic policy in Nigeria will FAIL
You don't get what am saying. This issue is not about demography. Nigeria is not at par with either of China or India interm of GDP. These countries despite their population, source for ways of generating revenues. No be today we don dey suffer for Nigeria. And population growth over the years have not been constant. But, check it, it's either we are in recession or out of recession. A country known for importing despite it potentials.
You lay so much emphasis on population, even though you are correct. But poluation growing even at 1 percent or 0.1 percent or whatever percentage is given/constant. If I agree with you on population... Then, let's try to look at the growth of GDP and our revenue sources, then you see that there is huge deficit in GDP growth over the years. Its basically meagre. With the current realities on ground as pertain to low GDP, I strongly opine that even if the population growth is to be reduced(lets assume modeling situation), or at least constant for the next 10 years and comparing side by side with the current level of GDP, the rate of poverty will still be worse except the government takes strong measures to improving GDP.

1 Like

Re: Why Is It So Hard To Find A Job In Nigeria? by pacespot(m): 3:01pm On Jan 10, 2020
SaintHilary:
This country is not moving foward. Do not let anyone deceive you. The Rich helps the Rich, the Poor wants to steal from the Poor.
There are jobs, but do you have a rich father or uncle to refer you?
As a youth with dreams and aspirations, Do what you must do. Legally or Ilegal and LEAVE WHILE YOU STILL CAN.

This country will never get better. Take it or leave it!
sad

This is the number one problem facing Nigeria today: snobbishness.

The rich help the rich, while the poor discriminate against the poor.

Until this problem is fixed in Nigerian mentality, there are no jobs or economic opportunities for average men.

I'm not saying this is the only problem the country is facing, we also need to look at the area of technical capacity to be able to create more jobs for graduates. But when something is not adequate, it is the poor that suffer the brunt.

Your dad can't be rich without having connected you to the right place to secure a good job.
Re: Why Is It So Hard To Find A Job In Nigeria? by nothingmore123: 3:03pm On Jan 10, 2020
anochuko01:

I would have insulted you but no need.
With your whole intelligence, you don't know that machine learning and AI involve data science too? Do you know if they probably want to start another line of business and need to make predictions?

Myself and the said guy started learning stuffs together last year, and in less than 12months there's been dramatic progress for both of us.
I'm into robotics and have started implementing a bit of AI.

I pity the lazy people that "liked" all you wrote coz my sole aim was to encourage people to go learn in demand skills.

Okay now, another Friend learnt Microsoft Dynamics for six months and is now gainfully employed on the island. You can doubt this one too so I can prove you wrong again lol.

If we all keep giving excuses, nobody would be anything meaningful.

There is demand for such jobs but the skills are not there.
Re: Why Is It So Hard To Find A Job In Nigeria? by Toduntee: 3:03pm On Jan 10, 2020
babyfaceafrica:
There are jobs in Nigeria, but it is strictly connection. There are people who if you connect with them, job will be yours.some parents are ven keeping jobs for their children who are still in the university

Also those without connect can also get jobs, however, it is low-paying jobs. E. G schools are awash in Nigeria but they will be offering graduates 20,25k as salary. And we will be complaining of the type of students we churn out. How can a graduate sometimes even with masters teach well with such meager salary.

This country is a joke, just manage where you are and if you get the chance, leave this country and never come back

Oil dey your head! Very well said!
Re: Why Is It So Hard To Find A Job In Nigeria? by Josh44s(m): 3:07pm On Jan 10, 2020
BlackSeptember:
The easiest job is BMC zombie job where you support buhari for 30k a month

Set of very foooolish people. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Why Is It So Hard To Find A Job In Nigeria? by Nthrone(m): 3:09pm On Jan 10, 2020
olisaEze:
Because people keep voting in politicians that steal money & jobs meant for u to give their undeserving relations!

you cant blame them, they are what was presented to them, in Nigeria politics, electorates have no option, its either pdp or apc, vote for any other party your vote wont count

1 Like

Re: Why Is It So Hard To Find A Job In Nigeria? by Maj196(m): 3:09pm On Jan 10, 2020
IamSalt:

And you are the one to pay for the skills abi??
You people just say it as if it is free.
N.B: his account is running on the negative side, data is not free, getting a loan is not easy either, so how do you want him to pay for the skill you want him to acquire??
FYI, I acquired digital skills online without paying a dime to anyone. Instead of wasting his data on nairaland he should go to YouTube and learn

1 Like

Re: Why Is It So Hard To Find A Job In Nigeria? by davidtemi(m): 3:10pm On Jan 10, 2020
emmaodet:

And what is that if you care to share
Its a food business in a university

1 Like

Re: Why Is It So Hard To Find A Job In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:11pm On Jan 10, 2020
anochuko01:

With your whole intelligence, you don't know that machine learning and AI involve data science too? Do you know if they probably want to start another line of business and need to make predictions?

Myself and the said guy started learning stuffs together last year, and in less than 12months there's been dramatic progress for both of us. He came 2nd in a machine learning hackathon and they were both offered the slots.

I pity the lazy people that "liked" all you wrote coz my sole aim was to encourage people to go learn in demand skills.

Okay now, another Friend learnt Microsoft Dynamics for six months and is now gainfully employed on the island. You can doubt this one too so I can prove you wrong again lol.

Go back and read my post all over again.
I didn't dispute the fact that he's learning data science, machine learning and AI but you coming here to predict what AXA Mansard projections are is a big fat lie.
If truly what you said was true, the mail would have clearly stated the role his internship would cover . Find another lie abeg

3 Likes

Re: Why Is It So Hard To Find A Job In Nigeria? by anochuko01(m): 3:13pm On Jan 10, 2020
nothingmore123:

There is demand for such jobs but the skills are not there.
Sir, all we need to do is to take our eyes of money for 12 months and learn whats needed.
But No, everyone is acting like a slave to money.

An average Nigerian graduate is "useless" to the labour market. That's the saddest reality we don't want to swallow. That's the hard truth I told myself when I left school. Despite a very good result, I knew I had nothing to offer the modern society and I took over two years putting myself in order.
I could have been carrying certificate around screaming theres no job, and allow my youth to waste away on top job search.

5 Likes

Re: Why Is It So Hard To Find A Job In Nigeria? by Akalia(m): 3:17pm On Jan 10, 2020
anochuko01:

Myself and the said guy started learning stuffs together last year, and in less than 12months there's been dramatic progress for both of us. He came 2nd in a machine learning hackathon and they were both offered the slots.

Bro Pls which trending and Sellable IT Skill would you suggest I aquire? Also suggest training centres or academies that offer such IT courses in Nigeria . I am looking to delve into IT mainstream and perhaps ply my trade as a freelancer. Thanks.
Re: Why Is It So Hard To Find A Job In Nigeria? by anochuko01(m): 3:18pm On Jan 10, 2020
Freshprince91:

Go back and read my post all over again.
I didn't dispute the fact that he's learning data science, machine learning and AI but you coming here to predict what AXA Mansard projections are is a big fat lie.
If truly what you said was true, the mail would have clearly stated the role his internship would cover . Find another lie abeg
Listen now. Mansard, Microsoft, softcom and some other companies sponsored a machine learning hackathon, he performed well and was offered internship at mansard.
Would he now be interning as a sales rep? Lol.
You don't know what's going on.
Re: Why Is It So Hard To Find A Job In Nigeria? by Bahddo(m): 3:19pm On Jan 10, 2020
AgamaProf:

You don't get what am saying. This issue is not about demography. Nigeria is not at par with either of China or India interm of GDP. These countries despite their population, source for ways of generating revenues. No be today we don dey suffer for Nigeria. And population growth over the years have not been constant. But, check it, it's either we are in recession or out of recession. A country known for importing despite it potentials.
You lay so much emphasis on population, even though you are correct. But poluation growing even at 1 percent or 0.1 percent or whatever percentage is given/constant. If I agree with you on population... Then, let's try to look at the growth of GDP and our revenue sources, then you see that there is huge deficit in GDP growth over the years. Its basically meagre. With the current realities on ground as pertain to low GDP, I strongly opine that even if the population growth is to be reduced(lets assume modeling situation), or at least constant for the next 10 years and comparing side by side with the current level of GDP, the rate of poverty will still be worse except the government takes strong measures to improving GDP.
I agree with this.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is It So Hard To Find A Job In Nigeria? by Coolkhat: 3:20pm On Jan 10, 2020
Re: Why Is It So Hard To Find A Job In Nigeria? by ufotty2001: 3:21pm On Jan 10, 2020
I becamup till now am still in a small audit firm scroll around looking for a job. There is no job in Nigeria!! My advice I will give to the unemployed is to go and get a digital skills or a nice skills learn it and know it very very well after that register on any freelences website upwork or friverr start earning from there..

2 Likes

Re: Why Is It So Hard To Find A Job In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:29pm On Jan 10, 2020
anochuko01:

Listen now. Mansard, Microsoft, softcom and some other companies sponsored a machine learning hackathon, he performed well and was offered internship at mansard.
Would he now be interning as a sales rep? Lol.
You don't know what's going on.

I read about that but because they sponsored an event doesn't mean they offer that sort-of service.
Listen to me bro and go do your findings, AXA Mansard as at today do not have a machine learning dept and if you're not so convinced, walk into their office on Monday and feed your curiosity and please do a live video.

1 Like

Re: Why Is It So Hard To Find A Job In Nigeria? by soleexx(m): 3:34pm On Jan 10, 2020
Favourchidubem7:

What sort of job you got.... I am interested if it's in my scope thanks

IT?
Re: Why Is It So Hard To Find A Job In Nigeria? by oliverano: 3:35pm On Jan 10, 2020
Freshprince91:

[b][/b]
If those reading this are so gullible, I am not one of them.
AXA Mansard is an insurance/pension company and what business have they got with Machine learning and artificial intelligence?
I'm 85% sure your supposed friend is interning in their sales team and he's lying.
Note : I am not saying there's no IT Dept but there's nothing like machine learning and artificial intelligence in that insurance company as of now.
Cut the bullshit!

I really admire your guts bro for quoting that guy!!!

On Nairaland, everyone is a polymath, knowing everything.

On Nairaland, everyone is a business owner who in one way or the other have employed many graduates; knowing fully well that they are "Lazy"

On Nairaland, everyone is a consultant for a renowned company both at home and abroad.

In fact on Nairaland, everyone owns it all, they are wealthy, married with kids, their friends have done this done that....

I'm a graduate of industrial chemistry but I started programming in my 100 level, today I can play around a lot of languages like c++, c, c#, python, php, mySQL, HTML. I can also make use of some content management system like WordPress.

I couldn't get a job as an industrial chemist so I started developing for small firms getting peanuts, helping students with projects etc.

Talking about unemployment, back then before I got "my little, lucky break", whenever I apply for a web dev job, I was always told that a degree in computer science is a prerequisite.

It's really not easy out there, no light to program, no light for SME to thrive. I have spent so much on fuelling my gen. Naija no easy and this is a FACT!!!

I just can't stand people trying to belittle others because they are doing better.

Replying that niggar just made me like you instantly, stay blessed man, 2020 is your year!!!

3 Likes

Re: Why Is It So Hard To Find A Job In Nigeria? by soleexx(m): 3:42pm On Jan 10, 2020
I think dere are jobs out there but very competitive... What ever you studies you must hav high knowledge skills in IT.. Without these no one will want you..

Get a certified digital IT skills

I can help get some certificate in IT at Leeds University, Michigan University and more but after your completion of program online you will rite exam... If you pass congratulations

Contact me if u interested...
Absolutely free

5 Likes

Re: Why Is It So Hard To Find A Job In Nigeria? by Ayoswit(f): 3:43pm On Jan 10, 2020
GRACEGLORY:

Money is the least of man's problem, it's wisdom.
explain abeg
Re: Why Is It So Hard To Find A Job In Nigeria? by Nwafancy: 3:46pm On Jan 10, 2020
Turn the job into a job cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Is It So Hard To Find A Job In Nigeria? by vickertony(m): 3:47pm On Jan 10, 2020
soleexx:
I think dere are jobs out there but very competitive... What ever you studies you must hav high knowledge skills in IT.. Without these no one will want you..

Get a certified digital IT skills

I can help get some certificate in IT at Leeds University, Michigan University and more but after your completion of program online you will rite exam... If you pass congratulations

Contact me if u interested...
Absolutely free
what kinda skills is obtainable from the two institutions you mentioned?
I'm curious.
Re: Why Is It So Hard To Find A Job In Nigeria? by haleymoon: 3:56pm On Jan 10, 2020
Low industrialization in the country coupled with high population growth rate
Re: Why Is It So Hard To Find A Job In Nigeria? by anochuko01(m): 3:57pm On Jan 10, 2020
Freshprince91:

I read about that but because they sponsored an event doesn't mean they offer that sort-of service.
Listen to me bro and go do your findings, AXA Mansard as at today do not have a machine learning dept and if you're not so convinced, walk into their office on Monday and feed your curiosity and please do a live video.
Lol Must they have a machine learning department before they start working with machine learning? Won't machine learning be under ICT? You're sturbborn sha!

Hackathon, consultancy and internship are the ways financial institutions in Nigeria get data science and machine learning personnels in Nigeria because non of them has an established department for it.

Just last year, a bank organised an hackathon, picked the best 8 and camped them on the island for another one week hackathon and paid them. Yet they never had a machine learning department.

Whether he's interning as a gate man or cook, my point is that there's opportunity for whosoever has an in demand skill.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is It So Hard To Find A Job In Nigeria? by MiddleDimension: 3:58pm On Jan 10, 2020
Ladylite:
Pls do not be depressed. Job is not the only way out. Why not try business. Dont you have friends who could loan you cash?

Jobs are hard in Nigeria because we are all corrupt. We would rather help our unqualified family member than a qualified graduate. Corruption begins at home.

that's not true.
jobs are hard because there are more people than there are job opportunities

1 Like

Re: Why Is It So Hard To Find A Job In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:10pm On Jan 10, 2020
adewumiopeyemi:

Am moving to Canada all my brothers are base there
Your own good ooo,how I wish I have the means....Good luck sha
Re: Why Is It So Hard To Find A Job In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:18pm On Jan 10, 2020
anochuko01:

Lol Must they have a machine learning department before they start working with machine learning? Won't machine learning be under ICT? You're sturbborn sha!

Hackathon, consultancy and internship are the ways financial institutions in Nigeria get data science and machine learning personnels in Nigeria because non of them has an established department for it.

Just last year, a bank organised an hackathon, picked the best 8 and camped them on the island for another one week hackathon and paid them. Yet they never had a machine learning department.

Whether he's interning as a gate man or cook, my point is that there's opportunity for whosoever has an in demand skill.

Wema bank! See i follow these trends and have been in attendance on few occasions, so I can say some-things about the industry . I totally appreciate you calling on everyone to get a skill and be good at it but don't add salt and pepper to make it convincing, back it up with facts and accessible information .
I still stand by what i said AXA Mansard do not have machine learning and AI in their IT Dept as at today.
I wish you the very best in your endeavors and hope to see you at the upper echelon of the Nigerian tech industry very soon.
Re: Why Is It So Hard To Find A Job In Nigeria? by Olawrites: 4:27pm On Jan 10, 2020
Hustle hard, find money just buy federal government slot. Even if na yahoo money u use buy slot.Dem dey dash post give their family members

1 Like

Re: Why Is It So Hard To Find A Job In Nigeria? by anonymous96: 4:30pm On Jan 10, 2020
anochuko01:

Not saying you are lying but u still didn't prove him wrong. He never said ur friend wasn't interning at AXA, just what he did at AXA .. So i don't see why you sent the email.. Unnecessary..

2 Likes

Re: Why Is It So Hard To Find A Job In Nigeria? by ABSTRUSE: 4:34pm On Jan 10, 2020
I
Re: Why Is It So Hard To Find A Job In Nigeria? by DexterousOne(m): 4:42pm On Jan 10, 2020
ufotty2001:
I became a Chartered Accountant 2017 up till now am still in a small audit firm scroll around looking for a job. There is no job in Nigeria!! My advice I will give to the unemployed is to go and get a digital skills or a nice skills learn it and know it very very well after that register on any freelences website upwork or friverr start earning from there..

Get there to four years of work experience
Then try to enter the "big four" as experience hire

That is assuming you will be AT MOST 30 years by then.

Learn all the skills you can at that small audit firm

Do not mind the pay (at least for now )
When your profile has improved
You get something better

From what I have seen
The hardest jobs to get are "entry level jobs"

Once you have like from 5 years experience upwards in two to three roles
It becomes easier to get a job
Re: Why Is It So Hard To Find A Job In Nigeria? by DexterousOne(m): 4:44pm On Jan 10, 2020
oliverano:

I really admire your guts bro for quoting that guy!!!

On Nairaland, everyone is a polymath, knowing everything.

On Nairaland, everyone is a business owner who in one way or the other have employed many graduates; knowing fully well that they are "Lazy"

On Nairaland, everyone is a consultant for a renowned company both at home and abroad.

In fact on Nairaland, everyone owns it all, they are wealthy, married with kids, their friends have done this done that....

I'm a graduate of industrial chemistry but I started programming in my 100 level, today I can play around a lot of languages like c++, c, c#, python, php, mySQL, HTML. I can also make use of some content management system like WordPress.

I couldn't get a job as an industrial chemist so I started developing for small firms getting peanuts, helping students with projects etc.

Talking about unemployment, back then before I got "my little, lucky break", whenever I apply for a web dev job, I was always told that a degree in computer science is a prerequisite.

It's really not easy out there, no light to program, no light for SME to thrive. I have spent so much on fuelling my gen. Naija no easy and this is a FACT!!!

I just can't stand people trying to belittle others because they are doing better.

Replying that niggar just made me like you instantly, stay blessed man, 2020 is your year!!!

Life is not easy for young people in Nigeria
That's the unfortunate truth

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Schleez Nigeria Limited / Any Business Idea I Can Start With 500k? / 5 Ways You Are Wasting Away Your Youthful Time

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.