Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,360 members, 7,800,729 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 03:58 AM

We Used To Speak Queens English In The 30's What Happened - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We Used To Speak Queens English In The 30's What Happened (1520 Views)

‘Ekweremadu Taught English In Wandsworth Prison’ / Why We Used Buhari’s Teeth-Picking Picture For Illustration- Scottish University / Aisha Yesufu Dumps Queens English For Pidgin Because Of Buhari(Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

We Used To Speak Queens English In The 30's What Happened by TheSourcerer: 3:33pm On Jan 10, 2020
I went through our past videos even up till the civil war we were all fluent in Queens English and great Accent too , here is a picture of Mohammad Ali with Gowan , Ali was gonna bring his whole family here , and he lived the way we were as a people 'a backbone to when he fight's '
So what happened ? When did Pidgin Take over ?
When did Nigeria Wreck?
Accent wrecked and those who try to Speak Queens English are mocked or Segregated or looked up to in disgust .

Re: We Used To Speak Queens English In The 30's What Happened by TheSourcerer: 3:38pm On Jan 10, 2020
The guy on the second video smiling brought smile to my face too, why?
This guy was here all brooding during the civil war , probably improverished , then the camera came close to him he stared at the camera with that agbero look , after a few seconds you could tell he was blushing then just smiled to the camera giving away a sensitive side , now Nigerians don't have this spirit of pure infectious smile anymore

5 Likes

Re: We Used To Speak Queens English In The 30's What Happened by Tundex122(m): 4:07pm On Jan 10, 2020
Am sure its only the well educated ones that speak English then, and it's still so now so no course for alarm

2 Likes

Re: We Used To Speak Queens English In The 30's What Happened by TheSourcerer: 4:13pm On Jan 10, 2020
Tundex122:
Am sure its only the well educated ones that speak English then, and it's still so now so no course for alarm
they interviewed few people on the streets , even the way our military sounded I mean cadets and privates (teenagers) were astonishing .

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: We Used To Speak Queens English In The 30's What Happened by KUNZEH(m): 4:35pm On Jan 10, 2020
Things fall apart now

1 Like

Re: We Used To Speak Queens English In The 30's What Happened by TheSourcerer: 4:57pm On Jan 10, 2020
KUNZEH:
Things fall apart now
when the Military were returning home you should see how people in towns and villages rushed to see them , you can see the respect and love in their eyes both from the military and the civilians

1 Like 1 Share

Re: We Used To Speak Queens English In The 30's What Happened by tsdarkside(m): 5:14pm On Jan 10, 2020
we dont want to copy people that enslaved and colonized us....

whats wrong with you....

we have our own identity....
why the hell would we want to speak english better than english people themselves....

3 Likes

Re: We Used To Speak Queens English In The 30's What Happened by tsdarkside(m): 5:17pm On Jan 10, 2020
i speak pidgin english with english people and they understand me very well....

op,people like it when you are yourself....dont be deceived....

3 Likes

Re: We Used To Speak Queens English In The 30's What Happened by slimfit1(m): 5:23pm On Jan 10, 2020
tsdarkside:
i speak pidgin english with english people and they understand me very well....

op,people like it when you are yourself....dont be deceived....

Tell them abeg ask them if they are English
Re: We Used To Speak Queens English In The 30's What Happened by tsdarkside(m): 5:25pm On Jan 10, 2020
slimfit1:

Tell them abeg ask them if they are English

seriously....some nigerians just want to discuss things that makes no sense atall....
Re: We Used To Speak Queens English In The 30's What Happened by tartar9(m): 5:29pm On Jan 10, 2020
Those learnt it directly from the white men themselves.In addition,the English language wasn't as disseminated in the general population as it is now; as it spreads,over time,it acquires the various shades of pronunciation taken from our mother tongue or due to other factors like a need for simplification hence leading to it's pidgin variant( you don't expect the market woman to bother themselves with grammar when they could form one that easily does the job).
Even the so-called Queen's English now has experienced significant changes over time.

1 Like

Re: We Used To Speak Queens English In The 30's What Happened by tsdarkside(m): 5:34pm On Jan 10, 2020
tartar9:
Those learnt it directly from the white men themselves.In addition,the English language wasn't as disseminated in the general population as it is now; as it spreads,over time,it acquires the various shades of pronunciation taken from our mother tongue or due to other factors.

exactly....or is he awaitin a hausa to speak english like english people....??
an igbo,yoruba,efik....??

ofcourse it will bend over years and decades....
we are not in britain....
this is nigeria with many tongues....

i say we even make pidgin english to national language....
anybody can bend it as they like accordin to their mother tongues and still be understood....
Re: We Used To Speak Queens English In The 30's What Happened by nijabazaar: 5:55pm On Jan 10, 2020
There's a correlation between our Queens English failing (degrading to pidgen and heavily accented patois )and the Country stagnating to dangerous levels of underdevelopment.

My grandfather's english is so impeccable that he sounds like he came from a golden age. He served as a White mans butler back then. His mannerisms as well was almost posh. I mean Nigeria has failed.

2 Likes

Re: We Used To Speak Queens English In The 30's What Happened by TheSourcerer: 6:39pm On Jan 10, 2020
nijabazaar:
There's a correlation between our Queens English failing (degrading to pidgen and heavily accented patois )and the Country stagnating to dangerous levels of underdevelopment.

My grandfather's english is so impeccable that he sounds like he came from a golden age. He served as a White mans butler back then. His mannerisms as well was almost posh. I mean Nigeria has failed.

Men with such impeccable accents and posh lifestyle like my Grandad too, only he was a Driver , their Nigeria and our are two distinct committees , west to East kind of far apart

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Used To Speak Queens English In The 30's What Happened by Nobody: 7:03pm On Jan 10, 2020
Hope you realise english is a native language of england people just like you have your mother language
Re: We Used To Speak Queens English In The 30's What Happened by Lonelypacifist6: 7:44pm On Jan 10, 2020
TheSourcerer:
The guy on the second video smiling brought smile to my face too, why?
This guy was here all brooding during the civil war , probably improverished , then the camera came close to him he stared at the camera with that agbero look , after a few seconds you could tell he was blushing then just smiled to the camera giving away a sensitive side , now Nigerians don't have this spirit of pure infectious smile anymore
Seriously bro now everyone just frowns, it's almost as if you can see the displeasure and taste it in the Air.

1 Like

Re: We Used To Speak Queens English In The 30's What Happened by Nobody: 7:56pm On Jan 10, 2020
That was in the good old days, not now that things has become so difficult that Nigerians are looking for food to eat.

Who would speak queens English with an empty stomach ?
Re: We Used To Speak Queens English In The 30's What Happened by Tomide007: 8:41pm On Jan 10, 2020
We should have Nigerian English, after all america has American English.
Re: We Used To Speak Queens English In The 30's What Happened by Nobody: 9:00pm On Jan 10, 2020
American English happened.
Too much freedom and ease in American English speaking, also it encourages broken English.

1 Like

Re: We Used To Speak Queens English In The 30's What Happened by Lynx001: 9:10pm On Jan 10, 2020
Na queens english b our problem. Hw queens english take help ghana?
Re: We Used To Speak Queens English In The 30's What Happened by TheSourcerer: 3:52pm On Jan 11, 2020
Lonelypacifist6:
Seriously bro now everyone just frowns, it's almost as if you can see the displeasure and taste it in the Air.
I think it's tastable , literally

2 Likes

Re: We Used To Speak Queens English In The 30's What Happened by yomi007k(m): 10:21pm On Jan 23, 2020
TheSourcerer:
they interviewed few people on the streets , even the way our military sounded I mean cadets and privates (teenagers) were astonishing .

You are very correct.
If you read some letters written by some young lieutenants before the civil war, you would think it was written by a Brit.

1 Like

Re: We Used To Speak Queens English In The 30's What Happened by TheSourcerer: 10:50pm On Jan 23, 2020
yomi007k:

You are very correct.
If you read some letters written by some young lieutenants before the civil war, you would think it was written by a Brit.
so what happened sir , how did we loose this great neat trait
Re: We Used To Speak Queens English In The 30's What Happened by yomi007k(m): 10:58pm On Jan 23, 2020
TheSourcerer:
so what happened sir , how did we loose this great neat trait

We have lost so much; great brains, morals,factories, good food, planning, strength of naira and quality of life.
The standard of everything has fallen.

I honestly don't know what led to this.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: We Used To Speak Queens English In The 30's What Happened by efighter: 11:19pm On Jan 23, 2020
We freed ourselves from mental slavery. We now speak our own English
Re: We Used To Speak Queens English In The 30's What Happened by StrikeBack(m): 12:13am On Jan 24, 2020
Who English epp??

(1) (Reply)

History Made As Giadom Became The First One-day Chairman Of A Political Party / Funtua’s Death Has Created A Huge Gap - Buhari / BREAKING: President And Prime Minister Of Mali Arrested

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.