Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,752 members, 7,806,062 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:52 AM

HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne (91971 Views)

Ohi Of Okene, HRH Isah Okatahi Holds Grand Reception Of His Coronation In Style / Enitan Ogunwusi, Ooni Of Ife's 3rd Anniversary On The Throne / Oba Adbulrasheed Akanbi Dressed As Emir Of Iwoland While Sitting On Throne (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne by Pro2makx(m): 12:55pm On Jan 11, 2020
What will it cost a man to just born a whole football field? Nor be just to pump something inside something, then in 9months every where go just stew.
God bless my maternal old man of blessed memory, that one na MAN. Drop 10 exellent soldiers by just one woman.
Re: HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne by Marotzke(m): 12:55pm On Jan 11, 2020
BluntBoy:

The professor was a famous writer. How come no one knows about the other child that died in childhood?

Prof also wrote about the civil war but never did he implicitly write about losing a child.

Osita is the only child everyone knows.
Read his biography or his introduction to toads for supper.
He mentioned his pains of losing a son.

1 Like

Re: HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne by Armaggedon: 12:55pm On Jan 11, 2020
Ladyhippolyta88:

That one na different thing.

Harry is like his late mother cheesy he made the choice make una leave Meghan alone
He made the choice the same way late Chukwuemeka ike made his. choices have consequences and they can be far reaching. most times love stories don't align with life stories. decisions taken out of emotion most times have negative consequences, and marrying accross tribal and religious divides is just one of such.

2 Likes

Re: HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne by Focusmind: 12:56pm On Jan 11, 2020
The bottled leopard made me not to sleep well while in boarding school in early 90's. 1991 precisely.

I was always worried about the story after we read it in our literature class in my JSS

1 Like

Re: HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne by Pro2makx(m): 12:57pm On Jan 11, 2020
Marotzke:
Don't get it twisted. (Oyster St Iyke) Osita Ike, had plenty children , mostly girls. Prof Emovon's daughter bore his only son.

Now i see. No Wonder
Re: HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne by BluntBoy(m): 1:01pm On Jan 11, 2020
Marotzke:
Read his biography or his introduction to toads for supper.
He mentioned his pains of losing a son.

OK. I read the book a long time ago. It is one of the books I want to read again now that I am an adult.

Thank you for the information.
Re: HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 1:02pm On Jan 11, 2020
Armaggedon:
He made the choice the same way late Chukwuemeka ike made his. choices have consequences and they can be far reaching. most times love stories don't align with life stories. decisions taken out of emotion most times have negative consequences, and marrying accross tribal and religious divides is just one of such.
shocked shocked
I have seen couples who marry from different divides and are still doing well,even the ones that are from the same side are still struggling or not together anymore Charles and Diana comes to mind.Life happens to anyone no perfect roadmap for what will work or not.Consequences happen even with good decisions emotions are not bad it makes us human and we are all bound to make mistakes.

Anyway that is your opinion.

1 Like

Re: HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne by sofiscatedmoron: 1:03pm On Jan 11, 2020
agulion:
50% of marital problem is solved when you marry from your village
some village girls have spoilt, infact they have committed abortion at the chemist more than u can think off
Re: HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne by OdefaGirl(f): 1:04pm On Jan 11, 2020
Ladyhippolyta88:

I understand that culture changes and it is dynamic and can be used to suit any narrative.
What if the igbo mum takes the child abroad and changes the child's identity what will they trace undecided aunty a bad person will not understand anything even the woman's family will do little or nothing to change anything if they are in agreement with their daughter and if the child has been brainwashed there will be little or nothing they can do to convince the 21 year old to go back home if the child has chosen another path
You find something else to argue with and not against inter tribal marriages because the late king and his union with his Yoruba wife that has lasted this long has put a stop to your argument and shows it holds no water at all.
A bad wife and family is the same no matter where you marry from

The distance will make it difficult to trace the child.... don't you just get it?
If that was a closer place or people that speak your language, you must get someone who will spill the milk and reveal his location....
O na akogheri
Re: HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 1:10pm On Jan 11, 2020
OdefaGirl:

The distance will make it difficult to trace the child.... don't you just get it?
If that was a closer place or people that speak your language, you must get someone who will spill the milk and reveal his location....
O na akogheri
And like I said even if the mother is igbo and the child bears a new identity and she fails to tell her family her wherabouts will it still be easy for them to trace the child it won't still be easy.

If that is the problem why don't they go to Benin and find the woman's family is anyone stopping them from approaching her family member to reveal her location or the child's to them.

1 Like

Re: HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne by vital94(m): 1:14pm On Jan 11, 2020
This is a mistake made by his son, a prince for that matter, he supposed to marry from igbo tribe in the first place, at least now it would have been easy.this is a lesson for upcoming generation.now they are begging Benin woman for there grandson.very painful.
Re: HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne by anochuko01(m): 1:17pm On Jan 11, 2020
Marotzke:
prof had two sons.
The elder one died during childhood.
That's sad.
So we can also say that royals should have like 4 kids and above top avoid such.
Re: HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne by Temptee101(m): 1:51pm On Jan 11, 2020
agulion:
[s]50% of marital problem is solved when you marry from your village[/s]
shocked

Stop mis-informing the younger generation who are unfortunate to be reading what you put up there

Marrying from your village, will it stop a chronic womanizer from womanizing or an irresponsible father to become responsible

If you like mould a wife or husband for yourself, when the basic requirements that keeps a home moving is lacking there is bound to be crisis

Spits

1 Like

Re: HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne by shadeyinka(m): 1:54pm On Jan 11, 2020
yeyeosoronga:

Exactly. His queen doesn't seem to be from his village, and they've been together for donkey years.
Of course!
Yes mixed marriages have their own challenge but the worst is either being the wrong spouse or marrying the wrong person.
Re: HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne by Ojiofor: 1:59pm On Jan 11, 2020
anochuko01:

Is there a statistics for this?
What's the probability?
This case is an outlier.
What if the child had died at birth?

The problem is from the prof who's got just a child...

Na today them start inter tribal marriage?

But the child didn't die, he is alive well but kept away from his paternal granddad which is abominable in Igboland but maybe the norm in Bini culture for a sample.
Re: HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne by sharone21(f): 2:03pm On Jan 11, 2020
telkevog:
A great scholar is gone. We will miss him!

On the other issue, maybe they have applied a subtle approach to the issue all along. Why not use available legal means to get your grandson back, so long as the marriage between the parents was legally consummated. Apply to a court of competent jurisdiction for an order mandating the woman and her family to produce the child, failure to which they shall be charged for contempt and disobedience to court's order. After all, the boy is an adult and the paternity has the right to his custody while the mother is granted leverage to visit and be with the boy at any time. Let them look for a good lawyer jare! Meanwhile, I am available.

Na mama always get pikin till child is 21yrs...not dad, NOT grandparents(too far, lol).
If not, Keyamo that divorced his wife (as a fiery lawyer) supposed to fight legally to get his kid/s....
I dey laugh especially when the late hubby was wrong....Na just peaceful out of court resolution is best IF the mum likes her son to be a King with all NATIVE practices involved.

1 Like

Re: HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne by Godwin2am(m): 2:04pm On Jan 11, 2020
oh God!
The brilliant class of 1930's children has come to a close!
Some of his works I shall never forget:
The Bottled Leopard
Toads for Supper
Sunset at dawn
Expo '77
I was particularly intrigued with The Bottled Leopard on the light it shed on reincarnation.
He never had to confirm if ever it was real or not leaving the reader to find out for himself. A style that has never been replicated in contemporary literature. Rest in Peace Chukwuemeka Ike.
Even if you do not have an heir to the throne, your name shall never be lost because in the annals of African Literature, your name will be writ large.
Re: HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne by xtremeTall(m): 2:06pm On Jan 11, 2020
The potters will
Re: HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne by Armaggedon: 2:14pm On Jan 11, 2020
Ladyhippolyta88:
shocked shocked
I have seen couples who marry from different divides and are still doing well,even the ones that are from the same side are still struggling or not together anymore Charles and Diana comes to mind.Life happens to anyone no perfect roadmap for what will work or not.Consequences happen even with good decisions emotions are not bad it makes us human and we are all bound to make mistakes.

Anyway that is your opinion.
you don't get it do you? intertribal marriages come with PECULIAR challenges. yes there are mixed couples doing well but those cases are isolated and not an average case scenario.
for instance, the slogan 'cultism kills' is used to describe the imperiled future of a campus cultist. a cultist has a higher risk of being killed or truncating his schooling more than the average student. But then I've seen a successful medical doctor who was once a campus cultist and I've also seen a university dropout who wasn't involved in cultism. Is that a justification to encourage campus cultism? No!
likewise there are marriages involving people from same community having issues. it does not vitiate the fact inter ethnic unions have higher risk of failure than normal unions because of the peculiar challenge of value incompatibility. its not an opinion its a fact.

1 Like

Re: HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne by addexx: 2:14pm On Jan 11, 2020
All die na die.

Oldie may you RIPE
Re: HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne by addexx: 2:16pm On Jan 11, 2020
All die na die.

Oldie don go RIPE

Rest In Peace Eternally
Re: HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne by luluosas(m): 2:18pm On Jan 11, 2020
The Emovons should have mercy and released the son
Re: HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne by stealmatic(m): 2:19pm On Jan 11, 2020
Osagyefo98:
The Great Iroko has fallen!

HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike is dead.

Words can't describe this man... His death is a big loss to the literary world, to his community Ndikelionwu, the entire Anambra State.
THE BOTTLED LEOPARD was amongst his popular works..
He died at 88!

May his soul rest in peace. Amen.

Meanwhile

https://www.nairaland.com/5234146/eze-chukwuemeka-ike-heartbreakingly-search

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/372138-foremost-nigerian-novelist-chukwuemeka-ike-is-dead.html
oh wat a tragedy? Its lik one of those nollywood script,rip sir
Re: HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne by gymer(m): 3:00pm On Jan 11, 2020
agulion:

Not true. Two of my elder brothers married from my village. My immediate elder brother’s wife is even somehow related to us but by tradition are permitted to inter marry. The two marriages are hell on earth. I married outside my state and my tribe. I married my friend and my course mate in the university and by the grace of God, our marriage of about 12 years has been and is still heaven on earth. At a point in my life, when I saw what was happening to my elder brothers, I vowed not to marry until God used my friend who is now my wife to convince me that my own could be different. We went into it and have never had any reason to regret. All you have to do is to make God the foundation of your marriage and every other things will fall in place.

I pray that the Almighty God will console the Prof’s family and touch the heart of the other family from Benin-City to allow the young man reconnect with his paternal family.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne by greypencils: 3:01pm On Jan 11, 2020
Author of The Chicken Chasers and the naked gods, RIP prof.
Re: HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne by okenze007: 3:36pm On Jan 11, 2020
agulion:

God bless you brother, you said it all. A times all these inter tribal marriages is a problem especially when both of you don.t speak the sama language
Re: HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne by Octopusssy(f): 3:41pm On Jan 11, 2020
Sirheny007:
Oh God!
The brilliant class of 1930's children has come to a close!
Some of his works I shall never forget:
The Bottled Leopard
Toads for Supper
Sunset at dawn
Expo '77

I was particularly intrigued with The Bottled Leopard on the light it shed on reincarnation.
He never had to confirm if ever it was real or not leaving the reader to find out for himself. A style that has never been replicated in contemporary literature. Rest in Peace Chukwuemeka Ike.

Even if you do not have an heir to the throne, your name shall never be lost because in the annals of African Literature, your name will be writ large.
Not quite. We still have Kongi
Re: HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne by okoroemeka(m): 3:50pm On Jan 11, 2020
agulion:
I think it can be as high as 70-80%
Re: HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 4:10pm On Jan 11, 2020
Armaggedon:
you don't get it do you? intertribal marriages come with PECULIAR challenges. yes there are mixed couples doing well but those cases are isolated and not an average case scenario.
for instance, the slogan 'cultism kills' is used to describe the imperiled future of a campus cultist. a cultist has a higher risk of being killed or truncating his schooling more than the average student. But then I've seen a successful medical doctor who was once a campus cultist and I've also seen a university dropout who wasn't involved in cultism. Is that a justification to encourage campus cultism? No!
likewise there are marriages involving people from same community having issues. it does not vitiate the fact inter ethnic unions have higher risk of failure than normal unions because of the peculiar challenge of value incompatibility. its not an opinion its a fact.

@bold,
Are you serious na which statistics you take back this one up?so inter tribal marriages are nit normal unions so the causes of divorce now has to do with ethnicity what happened to finances,adultery and all that.You are kidding me some couples are not that rooted in culture and whatever value they share with their spouses is beyond cultural values.There are other incompatibiliies that affect marriages other than value incompatibility.It is not a fact until you have verifiable statistics from divorcees who gave you these reasons as to why their marriages crashed.May ethnic bias and sentiments not kill us in this country

1 Like

Re: HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne by tyokunbo(m): 4:23pm On Jan 11, 2020
Chukwumeka Ike is one of the greatest writers this country has ever produced. His lyricism was immediate, his stories heart rending. The Naked Gods, Expo 77, Toads for Supper were masterpieces. It's unfortunate though that Ike came to prominence at the time Chinua Achebe was writing. This cut into his popularity, but I've always believed they had the same level of skill. I'll never forget an image I have always kept from Toads for Supper in the last forty years. It was the image of the pastor during the civil war who had his garment torn at the bottom. Very poetic. Very humorous. The truth is, Ike was a master of the ironical situation. His humour was electric and caustic. Nigeria has really lost one of its greatest writers through Ike's death. He belongs to the generation of writers that include Wole Soyinka, Chinua Achebe, Cyprian Ekwensi, Christopher Okigbo, John Pepper Clark, Nkem Nwankwo, Gabriel Okara, Amos Tutuola, and a few others. Ike was really a great writer, a giant among giants, a writer who can make you laugh, a writer who can make you cry.

2 Likes

Re: HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne by popsyleo1: 4:39pm On Jan 11, 2020
Rip
Re: HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne by banty: 4:51pm On Jan 11, 2020
Na sweet rich story be this if it can be develop in nollywood big picture with small spice..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? / The 10 Most Expensive Cultures/tribes In Nigeria To Marry From / A Yoruba Poem- Ise Logun Ise (work Is The Antidote For Poverty)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.