Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,382 members, 7,781,077 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 08:30 AM

A Nairalander Witnesses Iwa Akwa (Wearing Of Cloth) Ceremony In Igboland - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / A Nairalander Witnesses Iwa Akwa (Wearing Of Cloth) Ceremony In Igboland (55713 Views)

My Iwa Akwa (wearing Of Cloth) Experience In Obowo LGA, Imo State. / Iwa Akwa (wearing Cloth Ceremony ) / About Iwa Akwa Festival (Igbo Initiation Into Manhood) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Nairalander Witnesses Iwa Akwa (Wearing Of Cloth) Ceremony In Igboland by donstan18: 10:24pm On Jan 11, 2020
Evablizin:
Nice,Ndi Imo Ndewonu ooo.
Ada Bekee smiley

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Witnesses Iwa Akwa (Wearing Of Cloth) Ceremony In Igboland by Bigflamie(m): 11:25pm On Jan 11, 2020
Dope thread cool cool

Where is Lalasticlala

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Witnesses Iwa Akwa (Wearing Of Cloth) Ceremony In Igboland by Evablizin(f): 11:40pm On Jan 11, 2020
donstan18:
Ada Bekee smiley
wink Happy new year.

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Witnesses Iwa Akwa (Wearing Of Cloth) Ceremony In Igboland by donstan18: 11:46pm On Jan 11, 2020
Evablizin:
wink Happy new year.
I wish you the best Adaoma.

It's been long I saw your post. Hope you good?

Lalasticlala , help do the needful abeg.
Re: A Nairalander Witnesses Iwa Akwa (Wearing Of Cloth) Ceremony In Igboland by CAPSLOCKED: 6:02am On Jan 12, 2020
donstan18:

Lol. You are Yoruba, but I won't because you don't respect other people's tradition and culture, condescend so low as your grandpa to come for your tribe because I believe there are sane and reasonable Yoruba people, I mean people your parents weren't privileged enough meet which led to the drastically reduction of your common sense that would have let you know the importance of culture and respecting other people's culture.

Permit me to bring it to your notice that a Yoruba man(Davido) who every male in your lineage would wanna be like married an Igbo woman[Traditionally].

These are the kind of Yoruba people that matters in the society, not someone like you.

NO BI TODAY YOU START SHAME YORUBA WITH OIL AND PEPPER TALK.
SO DAVIDO MARRIED IGBO, THEREFORE WE SHOULD ALL EMULATE HIM BECAUSE IT'S THE GREATEST ACHIEVEMENT?

OGA YOUR SANCTIMONIOUS YARNS ARE FOR NEWCOMERS ON THE FORUM. WE KNOW HOW TRIBALISTIC AND STUPID YOU CAN BE. WE KNOW HOW YOU RIDICULE THE YORUBAS LIKE YOU PICK YOUR NOSE. I'M NOT EVEN YORUBA. FOR YOU TO BELIEVE I'M YORUBA AND START TO RAIN RUBBISH WITHOUT CONFIRMATION IS ENOUGH PROOF OF HOW MUCH HATRED AND RIDICULE YOU HAVE IN YOUR BANK FOR THE TRIBE.

FEEL PAINED OR NOT, DONSTAN, THE TRUTH OF LIFE IS THAT MANY THINGS WE CALL CULTURE IS OUTDATED, BEAR NO MEANINGFUL FRUITS, DEVELOPS US NEITHER INDIVIDUALLY OR COLLECTIVELY, AND MUST BE DISCARDED.

20 Likes 9 Shares

Re: A Nairalander Witnesses Iwa Akwa (Wearing Of Cloth) Ceremony In Igboland by emmaodet: 7:12am On Jan 12, 2020
CAPSLOCKED:

NO BI TODAY YOU START SHAME YORUBA WITH OIL AND PEPPER TALK.
SO DAVIDO MARRIED IGBO, THEREFORE WE SHOULD ALL EMULATE HIM BECAUSE IT'S THE GREATEST ACHIEVEMENT?

OGA YOUR SANCTIMONIOUS YARNS ARE FOR NEWCOMERS ON THE FORUM. WE KNOW HOW TRIBALISTIC AND STUPID YOU CAN BE. WE KNOW HOW YOU RIDICULE THE YORUBAS LIKE YOU PICK YOUR NOSE. I'M NOT EVEN YORUBA. FOR YOU TO BELIEVE I'M YORUBA AND START TO RAIN RUBBISH WITHOUT CONFIRMATION IS ENOUGH PROOF OF HOW MUCH HATRED AND RIDICULE YOU HAVE IN YOUR BANK FOR THE TRIBE.

FEEL PAINED OR NOT, DONSTAN, THE TRUTH OF LIFE IS THAT MANY THINGS WE CALL CULTURE IS OUTDATED, BEAR NO MEANINGFUL FRUITS, DEVELOPS US NEITHER INDIVIDUALLY OR COLLECTIVELY, AND MUST BE DISCARDED.

Even if they don't want to discard the Useless Culture, the culture is going down very fast everyday and there is Nothing anybody can do about that.
Look at our dressings, hoe many people are even wearing there Native attires atleast Once a Week?
All our native foods like ogi, moi moi, akara, eba are slowly been replaced with Bread, indomie, imported rice, spaghetti, custard, oat, poundo yam etc
Only few nigerians can read and write fluently with there Native languages eve though they can still speak it.
What of our family set up? How many can boast of marrying virgins? Is that not our tradition? Prostitution, runs babys, baby mamas, aristoes are all Cultures Alien to us but they have come to stay.
There is nothing like culture because even culture is changing regularly due to been conquered, wars or assimilation by a more influencer or dominating culture like the English religion and schools/education.
Bro look around you, the Old culture is Dead.
How many can even be discussing and using proverbs, adages and idioms in native language, most can't and worst of all Most can't even interpret those adages

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: A Nairalander Witnesses Iwa Akwa (Wearing Of Cloth) Ceremony In Igboland by makydebbie(f): 8:12am On Jan 12, 2020
CAPSLOCKED:

LEAVE THE IGBOS AND THEIR MENTALITY THEY HOLD SO DEAR, ALWAYS THINKING THEY'RE THE BEST TRIBE THAT STANDS OUT. YOU'LL OFTEN HEAR THEM, WHEN NOT BRAGGING ABOUT DEVELOPMENT AND WEALTH, TALK ABOUT HOW CHASTE THEIR BRIDES CAN BE. HOW LOYAL THEIR MARRIED WOMEN ARE, AND HOW THEIR CULTURE IS THIS OR THAT. I DON'T KNOW HOW THEY MANAGE TO SOUND LIKE THAT EVEN WITH REALITY STANDING IN THEIR FACES.
I ALWAYS BASH THE IGBOS IF YOU FOLLOW ME CLOSELY, NOT THAT I'M TRIBALISTIC. IN FACT, I'M AWKA MADE BUT YOU'LL NEVER KNOW BECAUSE I DISAGREE WITH EVERYTHING THAT DOESN'T AGREE WITH COMMON SENSE. THESE ASPECTS OF CULTURE LIKE CANING BOYS AND SELLING WOMEN LIKE MARKET WARES SHOULD BE DUMPED THE SAME WAY WE DISCARDED THE CULTURE OF KILLING TWINS, MARRYING VIRGINS STRICTLY, AND POLYGAMY.

Lol true.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Nairalander Witnesses Iwa Akwa (Wearing Of Cloth) Ceremony In Igboland by Nobody: 8:39am On Jan 12, 2020
CAPSLOCKED:

LEAVE THE IGBOS AND THEIR MENTALITY THEY HOLD SO DEAR, ALWAYS THINKING THEY'RE THE BEST TRIBE THAT STANDS OUT. YOU'LL OFTEN HEAR THEM, WHEN NOT BRAGGING ABOUT DEVELOPMENT AND WEALTH, TALK ABOUT HOW CHASTE THEIR BRIDES CAN BE. HOW LOYAL THEIR MARRIED WOMEN ARE, AND HOW THEIR CULTURE IS THIS OR THAT. I DON'T KNOW HOW THEY MANAGE TO SOUND LIKE THAT EVEN WITH REALITY STANDING IN THEIR FACES.
I ALWAYS BASH THE IGBOS IF YOU FOLLOW ME CLOSELY, NOT THAT I'M TRIBALISTIC. IN FACT, I'M AWKA MADE BUT YOU'LL NEVER KNOW BECAUSE I DISAGREE WITH EVERYTHING THAT DOESN'T AGREE WITH COMMON SENSE. THESE ASPECTS OF CULTURE LIKE CANING BOYS AND SELLING WOMEN LIKE MARKET WARES SHOULD BE DUMPED THE SAME WAY WE DISCARDED THE CULTURE OF KILLING TWINS, MARRYING VIRGINS STRICTLY, AND POLYGAMY.
I thought I once read a post of yours where you stated you are from benin

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Nairalander Witnesses Iwa Akwa (Wearing Of Cloth) Ceremony In Igboland by CAPSLOCKED: 8:41am On Jan 12, 2020
Michellekabod2:
I thought I once read a post of yours where you states you are from benin

I'VE LIVED IN SEVERAL STATES SO IT'S POSSIBLE THAT THROUGH MY EMPHASIS IT LOOKED LIKE I HAILED FROM ONE OF THEM.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Nairalander Witnesses Iwa Akwa (Wearing Of Cloth) Ceremony In Igboland by Evablizin(f): 8:52am On Jan 12, 2020
donstan18:

I wish you the best Adaoma.

It's been long I saw your post. Hope you good?
Yea i'm good,i took a little break.
Re: A Nairalander Witnesses Iwa Akwa (Wearing Of Cloth) Ceremony In Igboland by pocohantas(f): 10:13am On Jan 12, 2020
It is really a fun ceremony. Got invited to one last two years I think. A community in Imo too.

I did more of videos sha. Enjoyed their dances. NL should upgrade biko, make we fit post video.

I was just jumping upandan. They must have been wondering where they brought me out from grin. Dressed the part too- would go again if the opportunity presents itself.

13 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Witnesses Iwa Akwa (Wearing Of Cloth) Ceremony In Igboland by emmaodet: 11:29am On Jan 12, 2020
CAPSLOCKED:

Check our names - Emeka, Obinna, Mayowa, Oladayo are all been gradually replaced with James, Kelvin, Benson, Emmanuel etc and we claim we still have culture.
Even the local gods like Amadioha, Sango, Obatala, Esu are all been chased and relegated by a more Fancied, well advertised and aggressively Marketed Gods like Jesus, Allah etc. We now go to church and mosque weekly instead of our local and native Gods house who really know the terrains here than the Imported and Foreign Gods. Our local Gods are blacks and speaks our languages, our native dialects why the foreign own had to be interpreted for us.
Let us go to Medicine - we all have ditched our local native medicines like agbo jedi, agbo iba etc and our native doctors for foreign medicines like paracetamol and using pharmacy, yet we still boast of having culture.
I think we are really deceiving ourselves

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Nairalander Witnesses Iwa Akwa (Wearing Of Cloth) Ceremony In Igboland by CAPSLOCKED: 11:49am On Jan 12, 2020
emmaodet:

Check our names - Emeka, Obinna, Mayowa, Oladayo are all been gradually replaced with James, Kelvin, Benson, Emmanuel etc and we claim we still have culture.
Even the local gods like Amadioha, Sango, Obatala, Esu are all been chased and relegated by a more Fancied, well advertised and aggressively Marketed Gods like Jesus, Allah etc. We now go to church and mosque weekly instead of our local and native Gods house who really know the terrains here than the Imported and Foreign Gods. Our local Gods are blacks and speaks our languages, our native dialects why the foreign own had to be interpreted for us.
Let us go to Medicine - we all have ditched our local native medicines like agbo jedi, agbo iba etc and our native doctors for foreign medicines like paracetamol and using pharmacy, yet we still boast of having culture.

WELL SUMMARIZED. LET'S NOT TALK ABOUT CHINA OR SINGAPORE. OUR NEIGHBORS LIKE GHANA AND SOUTH AFRICA ARE MORE CULTURAL THAN US. THE ONLY TIMES WE SHOUT CULTURE IS WHEN MILKING INLAWS, CHEATING OUR RELATIONS, AND GENERALLY FOR DUBIOUS MEANS.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A Nairalander Witnesses Iwa Akwa (Wearing Of Cloth) Ceremony In Igboland by CsRockefeller(m): 6:32pm On Jan 12, 2020
We did same at community primary school Amuzi, Ahiazu Mbasie. smiley

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Nairalander Witnesses Iwa Akwa (Wearing Of Cloth) Ceremony In Igboland by money121(m): 6:32pm On Jan 12, 2020
Ok
Re: A Nairalander Witnesses Iwa Akwa (Wearing Of Cloth) Ceremony In Igboland by majamajic(m): 6:33pm On Jan 12, 2020
Obowo people don't joke with it
it's nice tradition

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Witnesses Iwa Akwa (Wearing Of Cloth) Ceremony In Igboland by NaijadrivaCars: 6:34pm On Jan 12, 2020
cheesy Mbano.

I had a neighbor that told me about it. It is as expensive as a wedding.

Any man in that place that didn't do it when he is of age, his mates become his "senior" and he has less rights in their village.

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Witnesses Iwa Akwa (Wearing Of Cloth) Ceremony In Igboland by Jgoldie: 6:34pm On Jan 12, 2020
I am not familiar with the Igbo culture but of what significance is the nose mask??

Very colorful event I must say

Someone pls explain?
Re: A Nairalander Witnesses Iwa Akwa (Wearing Of Cloth) Ceremony In Igboland by LuIuosas: 6:34pm On Jan 12, 2020
Great
Re: A Nairalander Witnesses Iwa Akwa (Wearing Of Cloth) Ceremony In Igboland by nextstep(m): 6:35pm On Jan 12, 2020
As long as there's 4 people gathered in Igbo land, a cow must be killed. Ogbuefi to my people. grin grin

3 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Witnesses Iwa Akwa (Wearing Of Cloth) Ceremony In Igboland by ekestic1976(f): 6:36pm On Jan 12, 2020
A
Re: A Nairalander Witnesses Iwa Akwa (Wearing Of Cloth) Ceremony In Igboland by nextstep(m): 6:37pm On Jan 12, 2020
Jgoldie:
I am not familiar with the Igbo culture but of what significance is the nose mask??

Very colorful event I must say

Someone pls explain?

It's just that the place is just dusty. This dry season, any small thing, dust will scatter and cause catarrh. But what was on my mind (as per correct Igbo guy) is: how can I start importing or making this type mask? It looks like it will sell well this season.

6 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Witnesses Iwa Akwa (Wearing Of Cloth) Ceremony In Igboland by SweetBuns(f): 6:37pm On Jan 12, 2020
Igbo kwenu!
Re: A Nairalander Witnesses Iwa Akwa (Wearing Of Cloth) Ceremony In Igboland by alfasexy: 6:37pm On Jan 12, 2020
donstan18:
7: The babe with cane is seriously showing the current celebrants pepper. Lol.

No joy!!!

No worries. They will show her one later in the other room.

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Witnesses Iwa Akwa (Wearing Of Cloth) Ceremony In Igboland by majamajic(m): 6:38pm On Jan 12, 2020
CAPSLOCKED:

I'VE LIVED IN SEVERAL STATES SO IT'S POSSIBLE THAT THROUGH MY EMPHASIS IT LOOKED LIKE I HAILED FROM ONE OF THEM.

it takes 100 turns to cover a single lie , how can u be from the states u lived , do naija states give citizenship ?

be proud of the state u come from

18 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Witnesses Iwa Akwa (Wearing Of Cloth) Ceremony In Igboland by Jgoldie: 6:38pm On Jan 12, 2020
nextstep:

It's just that the place is just dusty. This dry season, any small thing, dust will scatter and cause catarrh. But what was on my mind (like correct Igbo guy) is: how can I start importing or making this type mask?

Ohkk,thanks
Re: A Nairalander Witnesses Iwa Akwa (Wearing Of Cloth) Ceremony In Igboland by Nobody: 6:39pm On Jan 12, 2020
Iwa Ogodo.

Go and marry now.
Re: A Nairalander Witnesses Iwa Akwa (Wearing Of Cloth) Ceremony In Igboland by safarigirl(f): 6:39pm On Jan 12, 2020
emmaodet:

You are speaking from a perspective of someone who lives in urban areas. Culture is not dying in the rural areas, people still have shrines in their father's compounds, where they go for ablution, many still poor libation to their ancestors at gatherings.

To say culture is dying is a far reach. Culture is still very much alive.

12 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Queen Ola Badirat Ajoke Celebrates Her 31st Birthday (Photos) / Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy / Ooni Of Ife Meets Brazilian President, Lula

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.