Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,204 members, 7,780,365 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 01:07 PM

Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue (3496 Views)

Should I Be Concerned About Marrying A 39yrs Old Woman? / When Wify Is So Concerned About What You Eat / Should I Take Back An Adulterous Wife Because Of The Expensive Bride Price? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by Virginkpekus(f): 3:49pm On Jan 13, 2020
Was in danfo yesterday and I heard a man lamenting about how expensive it is to marry an Igbo girl, don't know his tribe by the way (but he didn't sound Yoruba or hausa). So I thought to myself why not marry someone from your own place and save yourself the stress of this Igbo headache.
On average Igbos marry Igbos and they seem to be doing just fine.
So why are other tribes so bothered by this?...because I don tire to dey hear this ranting from non Igbos.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by mrvitalis(m): 3:53pm On Jan 13, 2020
I'm from IMO , mbaise ...my bro married from rivers okirika

To do full traditional wedding in opobo,bonny, okirika , kalabari would set u back over 2 million
My brother paid ...the rivers guy that married my sister didn't pay upto 200k for men and women

Most things like drink u buy for the bride price in igbo land are mostly used to serve people on the traditional marriage

If you find it hard to spend 500k on bribe price you are certainly not ready for marriage ...unless u want to have a poor home

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by Nobody: 3:55pm On Jan 13, 2020
Virginkpekus:
Was in danfo yesterday and I heard a man lamenting about how expensive it is to marry an Igbo girl, don't know his tribe by the way (but he didn't sound Yoruba or hausa). So I thought to myself why not marry someone from your own place and save your self the stress of this Igbo headache.
On average Igbos marry Igbos and they seem to be doing just fine.
So why are other tribes so bothered by this...because I don tire to dey hear this ranting from non Igbos.

You really have time for those guys.

That's how one impregnate someone daughter and on top claiming father.

Marry from your place and allow others bear their stress/problems.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by Virginkpekus(f): 3:56pm On Jan 13, 2020
mrvitalis:

To do full traditional wedding in opobo,bonny, okirika , kalabari would set u back over 2 million
My brother paid ...the rivers guy that married my sister didn't pay upto 200k for men and women

Most things like drink u buy for the bride price in igbo land are mostly used to serve people on the traditional marriage

If you find it hard to spend 500k on bribe price you are certainly not ready for marriage ...unless u want to have a poor home
That's not the issue o, we are not comparing bride prices...your brother chose a wife from rivers state...meaning he is comfortable with whatever it requires to marry her, he didn't come out ranting like the man I saw in danfo.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by Thegeneralqueen(f): 3:57pm On Jan 13, 2020
Because they can't beat the rich

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by mrvitalis(m): 3:59pm On Jan 13, 2020
Virginkpekus:

That's not the issue o, we are not comparing bride prices...your brother chose a wife from rivers state...meaning he is comfortable with whatever it requires to marry her, he didn't come out ranting like the man I saw in danfo.

Igbo girls are fine ,paying high price means u have what it takes to take care of her ...

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by Virginkpekus(f): 3:59pm On Jan 13, 2020
Thegeneralqueen:
Because they can't beat the rich
grin it's becoming annoying...I was like oga girls full your village why not select one of them.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by Nobody: 4:01pm On Jan 13, 2020
Virginkpekus:

grin it's becoming annoying...I was like oga girls full your village why not select one of them.

Wonderful response.

The likes of him will be looking for who to Impregnate.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by IamCookie(f): 4:02pm On Jan 13, 2020
Maybe the supposed people are considering marrying an Igbo lady...and probably looking for a soft landing

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by Virginkpekus(f): 4:03pm On Jan 13, 2020
IamCookie:
Maybe the supposed people are considering marrying an Igbo lady...and probably looking for a soft landing
You see...so they prefer an Igbo lady over their own people yet they no wan pay....na to dey lament inside danfo. grin

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by Thegeneralqueen(f): 4:04pm On Jan 13, 2020
Virginkpekus:

Before you'll see me date or marry any other tribe apart from igbo then the said guy must be extremely rich.....

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by IamCookie(f): 4:18pm On Jan 13, 2020
Virginkpekus:

You see...so they prefer an Igbo lady over their own people yet they no wan pay....na to dey lament inside danfo. grin

Careful sis. You are now tilting toward being tribalistic. Anybody can marry anybody provided there is a healthy connection between them through love. Almost every reasonable person would want to pay a bride price, provided it is within the strength of their purse.

14 Likes

Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by IamCookie(f): 4:20pm On Jan 13, 2020
Thegeneralqueen:
Before you'll see me date or marry any other tribe apart from igbo then the said guy must be extremely rich.....

Imagine! This kind of thought or orientation require "Inside danfo discussion " for real. Na there e go sweet pass

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by Thegeneralqueen(f): 4:22pm On Jan 13, 2020
IamCookie:

Imagine! This kind of thought or orientation require "Inside danfo discussion " for real. Na there e go sweet pass
It's my opinion so stay away if you're not happy with it

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by Virginkpekus(f): 4:22pm On Jan 13, 2020
IamCookie:

Careful sis. You are now tilting toward being tribalistic. Anybody can marry anybody provided there is a healthy connection between them through love. Almost every reasonable person would want to pay a bride price, provided it is within the strength of their purse.
My point is the lamentation....if you know the Igbo bride price is too much, why not avoid Igbo girls?
It's like me going to where they sell cars and pricing a Mercedes Benz, knowing full well that they are not cheap...then crying afterwards about the price.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by IamCookie(f): 4:27pm On Jan 13, 2020
Thegeneralqueen:
It's my opinion so stay away if you're not happy with it

Lol. No be fight! It's a discussion thread

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by chriskosherbal(m): 4:59pm On Jan 13, 2020
mrvitalis:

At the bolded am really surprise a man can talk like this, so those who married for lesser than that amount are no longer having a harmonious marriage right, so money or higher bride price is the only factor that qualifies an individual to have blissful or be ready for marriage, are you 4 real, I call this misplaced priorities, one will expect this generation to have grown above this outdated lifestyle and embrace dynamism calling for a total downward review concerning marrying an IBO lady.

Go ask IBO guys who married from other tribes weather the women they married are of lesser value, or did they produce children with one eye, ear or no nose children, what makes an IBO lady so special and different to warrant/attract such an exorbitant/unnecessary amount that causes men to break bank on thier behalf.

Think of it, this is the reason why other values that are supposed to be considered in marriage or before marriage are thrown in the trash can & money considered as the only base irrespective how the money was made, a total deviation & variance of marital values is what is being practiced.

Reading all the comments from most of the females just show were our loyalty now lies and we all expect money to do the magic in bringing about the so called blissful marital Union, it doesn't work that way my dear, factors such as compatibility, love, understanding/chemistry, tolerance have all now been measured using the money ruler, and these same ladies are the first to cry out opening thread upon thread when thier marriage hits the rock irrespective of the presence of cash.

Nobody is saying money is not necessary in marriage, and who says money can't be made inside or after marriage, but placing half a million on a lady just for bride price (who is not even a Virgin, with countless body counts, & abortions not that we are using it as a yadstick) is totally unheard-of and just shows the level moral decadence in stock for generation to come if nothing is done about it..for Pete's sake am not acquiring a property or going into real estate, i can as well secure certificate of occupancy c/o to seal the deal, am just getting married.

Man wen e go value e wife Go value e wife irrespective of how much he spent on Bride price .

Peace .

26 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by Nobody: 5:15pm On Jan 13, 2020
mrvitalis:

Igbo girls are fine ,paying high price means u have what it takes to take care of her ...

Fulani ladies are prettier than Igbo ladies.and they are modest. Compare to Igbo ladies in all these ashawo joint. There face like Ugandan pigs. What pissed me off about Igbo ladies is that some Igbo ladies get mustache and iron leg like casava..their face come.be like afternoon demons....any Igbo lady can do anything for money.....
Beauty is in the eye of a beholder....for me, even dash, I cannot date a Igbo lady.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by IamCookie(f): 5:27pm On Jan 13, 2020
Gforce2015:

Fulani ladies are prettier than Igbo ladies.and they are modest. Compare to Igbo ladies in all these ashawo joint. There face like Ugandan pigs. What pissed me off about Igbo ladies is that some Igbo ladies get mustache and iron leg like casava..their face come.be like afternoon demons....any Igbo lady can do anything for money.....
Beauty is in the eye of a beholder....for me, even dash, I cannot date a Igbo lady.

grin

1 Like

Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by Efewestern: 5:29pm On Jan 13, 2020
mrvitalis:

Paying less than 500k for bride price doesn't make one unprepared for marriage and it definitely doesn't determine if you're going to have a poor home or not, bribe price in my land is #120 and we have so many stable and wealthy families.

The main thing we should be preaching is that we should all learn to respect people's beliefs and traditions, no need having this superiority complex because of our differences in culture.

I definitely have no problem with the bride price of others and I see no reason why one should complain about how others run their traditional affairs, if you can't pay, then go look for your tribe ladies.

9 Likes

Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by Ashawopapa001: 5:48pm On Jan 13, 2020
Because their daughters are constituting nuisance cool high bride price is turning Igbo ladies to baby Mama's cry
It's marriage not poverty alleviation angry

8 Likes

Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by mrvitalis(m): 5:49pm On Jan 13, 2020
Gforce2015:

Go n marry Fulani's na ..stop complaining about Igbo's

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by Virginkpekus(f): 6:23pm On Jan 13, 2020
Gforce2015:

No wahala....go for Fulani....not lamenting

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by cococandy(f): 9:01pm On Jan 13, 2020
You were making sense until you started talking nonsense about virginity and body count. That’s just stupid talk.

No one’s value depends on who they slept with. If it’s that way, then most men must be worthless.

Also the worth of a person should have nothing to do with how much their father decided to ask the groom to pay. Unless you’re thinking of it as purchasing a commodity.

chriskosherbal:
At the bolded am really surprise a man can talk like this, so those who married for lesser than that amount are no longer having a harmonious marriage right, so money or higher bride price is the only factor that qualifies an individual to have blissful or be ready for marriage, are you 4 real, I call this misplaced priorities, one will expect this generation to have grown above this outdated lifestyle and embrace dynamism calling for a total downward review concerning marrying an IBO lady.

Go ask IBO guys who married from other tribes weather the women they married are of lesser value, or did they produce children with one eye, ear or no nose children, what makes an IBO lady so special and different to warrant/attract such an exorbitant/unnecessary amount that causes men to break bank on thier behalf.

Think of it, this is the reason why other values that are supposed to be considered in marriage or before marriage are thrown in the trash can & money considered as the only base irrespective how the money was made, a total deviation & variance of marital values is what is being practiced.

Reading all the comments from most of the females just show were our loyalty now lies and we all expect money to do the magic in bringing about the so called blissful marital Union, it doesn't work that way my dear, factors such as compatibility, love, understanding/chemistry, tolerance have all now been measured using the money ruler, and these same ladies are the first to cry out opening thread upon thread when thier marriage hits the rock irrespective of the presence of cash.

Nobody is saying money is not necessary in marriage, and who says money can't be made inside or after marriage, but placing half a million on a lady just for bride price (who is not even a Virgin, with countless body counts, & abortions not that we are using it as a yadstick) is totally unheard-of and just shows the level moral decadence in stock for generation to come if nothing is done about it..for Pete's sake am not acquiring a property or going into real estate, i can as well secure certificate of occupancy c/o to seal the deal, am just getting married.

Man wen e go value e wife Go value e wife irrespective of how much he spent on Bride price .

Peace .

6 Likes

Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by Virginkpekus(f): 10:38pm On Jan 13, 2020
Ashawopapa001:
Because their daughters are constituting nuisance cool high bride price is turning Igbo ladies to baby Mama's cry
It's marriage not poverty alleviation angry
Still not your headache....marry another tribe and stop drinking panadol on another person's headache.

6 Likes

Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by 24kmagic: 10:40am On Jan 14, 2020
Buying the commodity isn't the problem, but is it worth it?

You go pay big money finish, only to carry olosho go keep for house.

Igbo girls and oloshoism are like Buhari and missing certificate.
Show me one Igbo girl weh no be olosho and I will show you where Buhari's certificate is.

All igbo girls na olosho or have the tendency to be olosho, just waiting for the right opportunity.

Spits

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by Vincad: 7:46am On Jan 15, 2020
24kmagic:

Igbo girls and oloshoism are like Buhari and missing certificate.
Show me one Igbo girl weh no be olosho and I will show you where Buhari's certificate is.

All igbo girls na olosho or have the tendency to be olosho, just waiting for the right opportunity.

Spits

cheesy cheesy cheesy This is why I love nairaland. Clowns like you are always available to provide comic relief.

6 Likes

Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by eazzzy1(m): 8:25am On Jan 15, 2020
This is like saying why do the Igbo people complain about other tribes yet they won’t sit in their villages? So they prefer these other regions to theirs yet they keep complaining about them.

Whether you like it or not, by virtue of being together in a country people meet people and fall in love with them, it’s not a matter of preference for a tribe.

For example when I served in Owerri I was the only non-Igbo corper. I was surrounded by Igbo women I had to be with Igbo girls not because I prefer Igbo girls but for lack of options.

If you don’t want people from other regions to marry Igbo girls, the only solution is to stop moving to their regions and stop them from coming to yours.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by crackkhaus: 8:28am On Jan 15, 2020
24kmagic:

As much as this comment will rub some people the wrong way, there's a lot to be interpreted from it.

One ought to wonder what the economic and traditional sense is in spending so much to marry someone who has been tossed and turned in every direction by one, two, or more men before finally deciding to settle with you.

Considering that the idea behind the custom of bride-prices from the ancient civilizations of man, was to present a maiden to a suitor as an untouched untainted, wholly chaste & undefiled virgin, then I see no point why anyone should fulfill outrageous financial demands on someone who does not fit a particular mould.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by KevinDein: 10:05am On Jan 15, 2020
This was how it used to work. You pay the bride price because you're marrying a woman young when she was at her highest sexual market value (SMV); she was also a virgin. She would then stay loyal, give you children, take care of you, the kids, and the house. You in turn would toil day and night to provide for the family. Made perfect sense then.

But now you have a woman who has been fvcked by all the dudes on the street and on campus (for peanuts more or less, grin), has had countless abortions and a man is still expected to pay through his nose when her SMV is diving.

GTFOH grin

6 Likes

Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by Virginkpekus(f): 10:22am On Jan 15, 2020
eazzzy1:
This is like saying why do the Igbo people complain about other tribes yet they won’t sit in their villages? So they prefer these other regions to theirs yet they keep complaining about them.

Whether you like it or not, by virtue of being together in a country people meet people and fall in love with them, it’s not a matter of preference for a tribe.

For example when I served in Owerri I was the only non-Igbo corper. I was surrounded by Igbo women I had to be with Igbo girls not because I prefer Igbo girls but for lack of options.

If you don’t want people from other regions to marry Igbo girls, the only solution is to stop moving to their regions and stop them from coming to yours.

Oga stop lamenting, nysc is just one year, go and marry from your village.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

WTH?? Widow Sleeps With Dead Husband?s Decomposing Corpse For A Year After His D / Could This Be Real? / Yoruba Actress,ronke Oshodi Oke Leaves Husband

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.