Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,369 members, 7,808,292 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:56 AM

Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue (3545 Views)

Should I Be Concerned About Marrying A 39yrs Old Woman? / When Wify Is So Concerned About What You Eat / Should I Take Back An Adulterous Wife Because Of The Expensive Bride Price? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by Bighead9: 12:28pm On Jan 15, 2020
Igbo can do anything for money, marriage inclusive. The other day, they gave an underaged Girl to a mentally unstable man in exchange for money

Hmmm, Igbo and money. They always end up fighting when they are sharing the bride price paid by their in-laws grin grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by cococandy(f): 1:15pm On Jan 15, 2020
Why not marry children then? At least they won’t have as much sexual experience as y’all do wink . Hopefully they won’t even have any.

When you talk about abolishing bride price (as it should be), watch these lot start frothing at the mouth.

For some weird illogical reason the ladies that are sleeping with you guys now haven’t reduced your value in your minds but somehow you guys have reduced their value by doing the same sexual activity to her that she did to you. Make it make sense. But it doesn’t. Because it’s stupid. Almighty logic cheesy. Making yourselves sound like filth for reducing the value of whatever you touch.

Simply do away with bride price or keep wailing about high bride prices for the same women that you’re currently sleeping with, who are magically not virgins on the day you’re ready to get married grin .

Bride price is a male culture. Enforced by men ( as are most regressive cultures) “we are in Africa yen yen yen”. Then turn around and blame women for the foolishness. Watch them grow into men who perpetrate the culture while also griping about it. A father can decide he won’t collect bride price and nothing will happen.

The confusion is making me dizzy embarassed .

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by Virginkpekus(f): 1:22pm On Jan 15, 2020
Bighead9:
Igbo can do anything for money, marriage inclusive. The other day, they gave an underaged Girl to a mentally unstable man in exchange for money

Hmmm, Igbo and money. They always end up fighting when they are sharing the bride price paid by their in-laws grin grin grin
No problem, marry another tribe and stop this obsession with the Igbos.

6 Likes

Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by eazzzy1(m): 2:05pm On Jan 15, 2020
Virginkpekus:

Oga stop lamenting, nysc is just one year, go and marry from your village.

The only one lamenting here is you. I am not into Igbo women, I am not dating an Igbo woman, I will not marry an Igbo girl.

If you want people to marry from their villages stop spreading your seeds in their villages. Stay in your caves.

13 Likes

Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by Virginkpekus(f): 4:31pm On Jan 15, 2020
eazzzy1:

The only one lamenting here is you. I am not into Igbo women, I am not dating an Igbo woman, I will not marry an Igbo girl.

If you want people to marry from their villages stop spreading your seeds in their villages. Stay in your caves.
Okay...noted.
Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by CHoccolaTE: 6:12pm On Jan 15, 2020
cococandy:

Bride price is a male culture. Enforced by men ( as are most regressive cultures) “we are in Africa yen yen yen”. Then turn around and blame women for the foolishness. Watch them grow into men who perpetrate the culture while also griping about it. A father can decide he won’t collect bride price and nothing will happen.

Bride price laws were created because men saw women as less than human and wanted to treat them as mere commodities that can be exchanged for property or money.
But men are now the ones blaming women and complaining of bride price laws because Buhari economy is holding their necks and dealing with their bank accounts. If it was in an era when there were still many jobs and the economy was good I can bet my last kobo that the same men complaining of bride price will be vehemently insisting that it should be paid because they like the idea of buying and selling women like cows.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by Bighead9: 7:07pm On Jan 15, 2020
Virginkpekus:

No problem, marry another tribe and stop this obsession with the Igbos.

Me, marry Igbo Girl? You want kiiii me?

I rather stay single for ever. cheesy grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by Virginkpekus(f): 7:34pm On Jan 15, 2020
Bighead9:

Me, marry Igbo Girl? You want kiiii me?

I rather stay single for ever. cheesy grin grin grin
Okay...keep them out of your mouth then. That's all we ask for
Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by hammerF: 8:50pm On Jan 15, 2020
Virginkpekus:
Was in danfo yesterday and I heard a man lamenting about how expensive it is to marry an Igbo girl, don't know his tribe by the way (but he didn't sound Yoruba or hausa). So I thought to myself why not marry someone from your own place and save yourself the stress of this Igbo headache.
On average Igbos marry Igbos and they seem to be doing just fine.
So why are other tribes so bothered by this?...because I don tire to dey hear this ranting from non Igbos.

lalasticlala this thread must make FP.

OP, u are one of my brilliant Igbo sisters and i love u to bits.

I am always proud to see very smart Igbo women that know and value culture.

Bride-price is a form of marriage rite that ensures that a suitor has a source of income capable of catering for a family.

It is a form of means-testing. Not wen u enter finish hungry kill u there or u go begging.

Marriage is for the gainfully employed.

This is y alot of Igbo youth go into trade and not wait for someone to employ them in office as some do.

Those complaining spend far more on their weekend owambe and even far more on their girlfriends. i.e slay queen but want free wedding.

Tell me is white wedding free? Y should traditional wedding be free or the girl family foot the bill as it is in yoruba culture?

Our parents all got married and they were not millionnaires wen they did and u telling me we cannot afford the traditional marriage rites?

Our elders were wise, but today generation are so distant from their fathers in terms of wisdom. sad!

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by cococandy(f): 10:02pm On Jan 15, 2020
They will still complain

CHoccolaTE:

Bride price laws were created because men saw women as less than human and wanted to treat them as mere commodities that can be exchanged for property or money.
But men are now the ones blaming women and complaining of bride price laws because Buhari economy is holding their necks and dealing with their bank accounts. If it was in an era when there were still many jobs and the economy was good I can bet my last kobo that the same men complaining of bride price will be vehemently insisting that it should be paid because they like the idea of buying and selling women like cows.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by hammerF: 10:14pm On Jan 15, 2020
CHoccolaTE:

WHY NOT GET PREGNANT FOR YOUR BOYFRIEND AND JUST MOVE IN WITH HIM?

Y BOTHER ABOUT MARRIAGE AND ALL THE PROTOCOL?

I DONT SEE BRIDE PRICE AS BUYING A HUMAN BEING.

IN ALL HONESTY, I SEE IT AS A MEANS-TESTING FOR A YOUNG MAN GOING INTO MARRIAGE.

I DONT EXPECT TO GO TO MY INLAWS PLACE EMPTY HANDED.

I LOVE THE IDEA OF BEING GIVEN A LIST AND I WILL EVEN DOUBLE THE ITEMS ON THAT LIST, SIMPLY BECOS I CAN.

IS IT ME BUYING MY WIFE? NO! I CANNOT AFFORD HER, BUT I CAN WIN HER AND IMPRESS HER, LOVE HER WITH WORDS AND THE PHYSICAL AS MUCH AS SPIRITUALY. THE ITEMS ARE A ROMANTIC GESTURE AND A SHOW OF LOVE.

LET US FACE IT, HUSBAND ARE SUPPOSE TO BRING THEIR WIVES GIFTS FROM TIME TO TIME.

UNDERSTANDING OF THESE THINGS IS WAT MAKES U A MAN.

JUST SEE HOW MUCH MEN SPEND ON RUNS GIRLS.

THEY BUY THEM HOUSES, CARS, DAILY ALLOWANCE(PUT THEM ON PAYROLL)

YET, U CANNOT FOOT THE BILL OF YOUR WIFE TRADITIONAL MARRIAGE RITE.

DON'T BE SAD.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by Bighead9: 5:07am On Jan 16, 2020
Virginkpekus:

Okay...keep them out of your mouth then. That's all we ask for

All Igbo Girls already know the profession they will do when they grow up. They are trained and blessed by their parents right from when they were kids. So that they will become successful in that particular profession. grin grin grin grin grin

See the profession bellow. grin grin grin

6 Likes

Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by Nobody: 5:29am On Jan 16, 2020
Virginkpekus:

Oga stop lamenting, nysc is just one year, go and marry from your village.
I can break a bank to marry you but I want to ask are you a virgin? Why should I pay for used goods as if it original?

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by Nobody: 5:45am On Jan 16, 2020
cococandy:
Why not marry children then? At least they won’t have as much sexual experience as y’all do wink . Hopefully they won’t even have any.

When you talk about abolishing bride price (as it should be), watch these lot start frothing at the mouth.

For some weird illogical reason the ladies that are sleeping with you guys now haven’t reduced your value in your minds but somehow you guys have reduced their value by doing the same sexual activity to her that she did to you. Make it make sense. But it doesn’t. Because it’s stupid. Almighty logic cheesy. Making yourselves sound like filth for reducing the value of whatever you touch.

Simply do away with bride price or keep wailing about high bride prices for the same women that you’re currently sleeping with, who are magically not virgins on the day you’re ready to get married grin .

. You don't pay anything on a man head, but we pay bride price on a woman. Stay virgin and we are ready to pay any amount to have you as a wife. No body value used goods. For Ibo man and woman, it only interest(money) in everything including marriage.Btw I enjoy having your girls as friends with benefits but I don't think i can settle down with an Ibo girl. I am not tribalist but it is what it is. Maybe if she was train in a western world I consider her. I also have Ibo guys that swear not to have any thing to do with your women.Another tribe we should call out is Akwa Ibomite. My point is that I don't care about the money but does it worth it.
Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by Nobody: 5:54am On Jan 16, 2020
CHoccolaTE:

. You are wrong, the men are complaining now because women no more what they used to be (virgin). My dad married my mom a virgin but two of my sisters already date someone,I am tempted to believe they have body count. They are married though but I do used it to get to them that their husbands didn't get to see the hymen,they always want to kill me for reminding them their mistake. Point is stay virgin avoid we the men then we can break bank to have your hands in marriage. I am even prepare to pay double if I can get my hands on a proper (Character wise), smart and God fearing lady who is a virgin.
Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by Nobody: 5:55am On Jan 16, 2020
Stupid post,stupid/trolling op.

Bride price should be abolished,it’s long overdue.
Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by Nobody: 5:57am On Jan 16, 2020
cococandy:

End of the matter.
Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by CHoccolaTE: 6:08am On Jan 16, 2020
Jaubdu:
. You are wrong, the men are complaining now because women no more what they used to be (virgin). My dad married my mom a virgin but two of my sisters already date someone,I am tempted to believe they have body count. They are married though but I do used it to get to them that their husbands didn't get to see the hymen,they always want to kill me for reminding them their mistake. Point is stay virgin avoid we the men then we can break bank to have your hands in marriage. I am even prepare to pay double if I can get my hands on a proper (Character wise), smart and God fearing lady who is a virgin.

Men are also not virgins these days, they now sleep around before and after marriage and act irresponsibly, neglect their children, fail to provide and protect their families etc. That's not how men of old acted.
They can't have shit character then start looking for high quality brides for marriage

1 Like

Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by Nobody: 6:16am On Jan 16, 2020
CHoccolaTE:

Men are also not virgins these days, they now sleep around before and after marriage and act irresponsibly, neglect their children, fail to provide and protect their families etc. That's not how men of old acted.
They can't have shit character then start looking for high quality brides for marriage
. Did you pay bride price on men's head? I am not saying living an irresponsible life is ok . My point is that if you want us to meet up with your family demands then stay a virgin. BTW our fore father used to have a lot of wives and even concubine and they still enjoyed their respect.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by hammerF: 8:50am On Jan 16, 2020
Plead:
Stupid post,stupid/trolling op.

Bride price should be abolished,it’s long overdue.

U CAN ONLY SPEAK FOR YOUR VILLAGE AND TRIBE.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by Phantomhilz: 2:41pm On Jan 16, 2020
cococandy:
You were making sense until you started talking nonsense about virginity and body count. That’s just stupid talk.

No one’s value depends on who they slept with. If it’s that way, then most men must be worthless.

Also the worth of a person should have nothing to do with how much their father decided to ask the groom to pay. Unless you’re thinking of it as purchasing a commodity.

@cococandy
Brand new and Tokunbo get difference�

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by RuggedSniper: 3:03pm On Jun 20, 2020
chriskosherbal:
At the bolded am really surprise a man can talk like this, so those who married for lesser than that amount are no longer having a harmonious marriage right, so money or higher bride price is the only factor that qualifies an individual to have blissful or be ready for marriage, are you 4 real, I call this misplaced priorities, one will expect this generation to have grown above this outdated lifestyle and embrace dynamism calling for a total downward review concerning marrying an IBO lady.

Go ask IBO guys who married from other tribes weather the women they married are of lesser value, or did they produce children with one eye, ear or no nose children, what makes an IBO lady so special and different to warrant/attract such an exorbitant/unnecessary amount that causes men to break bank on thier behalf.

Think of it, this is the reason why other values that are supposed to be considered in marriage or before marriage are thrown in the trash can & money considered as the only base irrespective how the money was made, a total deviation & variance of marital values is what is being practiced.

Reading all the comments from most of the females just show were our loyalty now lies and we all expect money to do the magic in bringing about the so called blissful marital Union, it doesn't work that way my dear, factors such as compatibility, love, understanding/chemistry, tolerance have all now been measured using the money ruler, and these same ladies are the first to cry out opening thread upon thread when thier marriage hits the rock irrespective of the presence of cash.

Nobody is saying money is not necessary in marriage, and who says money can't be made inside or after marriage, but placing half a million on a lady just for bride price (who is not even a Virgin, with countless body counts, & abortions not that we are using it as a yadstick) is totally unheard-of and just shows the level moral decadence in stock for generation to come if nothing is done about it..for Pete's sake am not acquiring a property or going into real estate, i can as well secure certificate of occupancy c/o to seal the deal, am just getting married.

Man wen e go value e wife Go value e wife irrespective of how much he spent on Bride price .

Peace .
^^Word!
Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by Rugaria: 6:31pm On Oct 19, 2020
Virginkpekus:

My point is the lamentation....if you know the Igbo bride price is too much, why not avoid Igbo girls?
It's like me going to where they sell cars and pricing a Mercedes Benz, knowing full well that they are not cheap...then crying afterwards about the price.

Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by Oracleforce: 8:10pm On Oct 19, 2020
With N500 I can Bleep Igbo lady for any of the hotels in the country...
There is nothing special about.your bride price when I can get them for N500 at the roadside.....

Igbo people like to put more importance on themselves..
Ifeoma, is giving me free toto wella....and she is ready to pay almost all the bride price on my behalf...

Igbo ladies toto is cheap and dangerous......beware !

1 Like

Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by Dtruthspeaker: 9:19pm On Oct 19, 2020
No wonder my Igbo broses always say "I bought you, I paid your bride price complete".

Their girls are for sale!

"Nna, how mush is dat ya duter, Eight hundred tausan, I pay 2million naira if you add ha Sista, d black one, enugo?"

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by Psych412(f): 9:48pm On Oct 19, 2020
Mostly broke men who complain about igbo bride price.

Igbo girls are meant for the rich guys who can pay the bride price without thinking twice.

In my community, once a suitor comes to ask any lady hands in marriage, the elders will ask you "if you have enough ego". If not, forget about it, you're just wasting your time.

If you're planning to get married to an igbo girl, your pocket must be fat.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by ABOVEDELAW: 12:55pm On Oct 22, 2020
GUY STOP RANTING, GO AND MARRY FROM YOUR TRIBE, PERIOD.
chriskosherbal:
At the bolded am really surprise a man can talk like this, so those who married for lesser than that amount are no longer having a harmonious marriage right, so money or higher bride price is the only factor that qualifies an individual to have blissful or be ready for marriage, are you 4 real, I call this misplaced priorities, one will expect this generation to have grown above this outdated lifestyle and embrace dynamism calling for a total downward review concerning marrying an IBO lady.

Go ask IBO guys who married from other tribes weather the women they married are of lesser value, or did they produce children with one eye, ear or no nose children, what makes an IBO lady so special and different to warrant/attract such an exorbitant/unnecessary amount that causes men to break bank on thier behalf.

Think of it, this is the reason why other values that are supposed to be considered in marriage or before marriage are thrown in the trash can & money considered as the only base irrespective how the money was made, a total deviation & variance of marital values is what is being practiced.

Reading all the comments from most of the females just show were our loyalty now lies and we all expect money to do the magic in bringing about the so called blissful marital Union, it doesn't work that way my dear, factors such as compatibility, love, understanding/chemistry, tolerance have all now been measured using the money ruler, and these same ladies are the first to cry out opening thread upon thread when thier marriage hits the rock irrespective of the presence of cash.

Nobody is saying money is not necessary in marriage, and who says money can't be made inside or after marriage, but placing half a million on a lady just for bride price (who is not even a Virgin, with countless body counts, & abortions not that we are using it as a yadstick) is totally unheard-of and just shows the level moral decadence in stock for generation to come if nothing is done about it..for Pete's sake am not acquiring a property or going into real estate, i can as well secure certificate of occupancy c/o to seal the deal, am just getting married.

Man wen e go value e wife Go value e wife irrespective of how much he spent on Bride price .

Peace .

1 Like

Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by BIGGESThead6: 8:55pm On Oct 22, 2020
Virginkpekus:

You see...so they prefer an Igbo lady over their own people yet they no wan pay....na to dey lament inside danfo. grin

Abeg talk true. Between this Igbo Girl and the none Igb Girl, who will you pick for your Brother if he asked you to make a Choice for him? grin grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by Nobody: 9:40am On Oct 23, 2020
Your tribes men themselves complain about it
Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by Virginkpekus(f): 6:07pm On Oct 23, 2020
BLUELemon:
Your tribes men themselves complain about it
Meaning it's an internal problem. So Una wey no be Igbo marry your own tribe.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

. / Save My Marriage Today - Is Divorce Your Way Out? / Meet 9-year-old Suman Khatun - One Of The Fattest Kids In The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.