Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,310 members, 7,808,049 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:52 AM

Why Don't Men Wear Engagement Ring? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Don't Men Wear Engagement Ring? (608 Views)

Why Don't Men Talk About This With Their Wives? / For How Long Should An Engagement Ring Be Worn? / What Happens To The Engagement Ring? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Don't Men Wear Engagement Ring? by Nobody: 6:39am On Jan 14, 2020
I have actually wondered why for some time. A friend mine that recently got engaged, I asked him why his ring is not on, his reply was " I engaged her and not other way round "

I tried to make sense with his answer but couldn't. Very lame.

Now I ask you all here: why don't men wear engagement ring?
Re: Why Don't Men Wear Engagement Ring? by Factfinder1(m): 7:21am On Jan 14, 2020
I will answer when I have food to eat
Re: Why Don't Men Wear Engagement Ring? by djoe21(m): 7:28am On Jan 14, 2020
Your friend might just be right. Recently though, women don't wear also. Forget the paparazzi proposal show. They take it off shortly after it. They say something like they don't want to become 'lord of the ring' while waiting for the guy to do the main thing. lipsrsealed
Re: Why Don't Men Wear Engagement Ring? by Nobody: 7:32am On Jan 14, 2020
djoe21:
Your friend might just be right. Recently though, women don't wear also. Forget the paparazzi proposal show. They take it off shortly after it. They say something like they don't want to become 'lord of the ring' while waiting for the guy to do the main thing. lipsrsealed

I disagreed with my friend on that. It takes two to tangle...and also two to engage. I personally think both should be wearing it
Re: Why Don't Men Wear Engagement Ring? by SEGLIZ: 7:33am On Jan 14, 2020
Re: Why Don't Men Wear Engagement Ring? by Nobody: 7:56am On Jan 14, 2020
How will they smash other ladies if they wear the ring? tongue

5 Likes

Re: Why Don't Men Wear Engagement Ring? by Ejebleje: 10:09am On Jan 14, 2020
Na im be say you go see only one man with like 68 rings for hand

4 Likes

Re: Why Don't Men Wear Engagement Ring? by Saintmary(f): 4:09pm On Jan 14, 2020
Ejebleje:
My chest oo

3 Likes

Re: Why Don't Men Wear Engagement Ring? by Reichel99(f): 7:11pm On Jan 14, 2020
Because men think they are doing a favour for women by engaging them, when it is actually the other way round.
Re: Why Don't Men Wear Engagement Ring? by 7thLemonLOVER(f): 7:20pm On Jan 14, 2020
Ejebleje:
funny but loyalty and honesty is the safest

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Men Wear Engagement Ring? by midnighter(f): 7:31pm On Jan 14, 2020
In some cultures, both The man and the woman wear engagement rings.

But we are following British practice which follows dowry tradition. The ring is part of the "deposit" from the guy to the woman's father. Like how our guys come with drinks and wrapper.

Also, the man had to give her a ring because if he cancelled the wedding, it would be difficult for her to marry again because she would be seen as "used goods" since it would be assumed that she was no longer a virgin. So the ring is financial collateral to show that he is serious, stop him from dumping her and to signify to the world that she is taken.

So in the traditional sense your friend is right, he's the one who got engaged to her and not the other way around (though nothing stops him from wearing a ring since its becoming fashionable for men to wear them these days)

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Men Wear Engagement Ring? by crackkhaus: 7:38pm On Jan 14, 2020
mikezuruki:
I have actually wondered why for some time. A friend mine that recently got engaged, I asked him why his ring is not on, his reply was " I engaged her and not other way round "

I tried to make sense with his answer but couldn't. Very lame.

Now I ask you all here: why don't men wear engagement ring?
How is that response lame? cheesy

During your friend's engagement, who got the ring?
Re: Why Don't Men Wear Engagement Ring? by Nobody: 9:11pm On Jan 14, 2020
I no wear. Both engagement and wedding.
I'm even thinking of selling them
Cool cash grin

As if that will stop infidelity or divorce
Re: Why Don't Men Wear Engagement Ring? by Akposb(m): 9:27pm On Jan 14, 2020
May be it's time OP advise ladies to bring their own ring along for a proposal so as to solve this problem.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Man Refuses To Pay Hospital Bills Because His Child Is Too Ugly / Breaking: Coronavirus Cases Hit 20 In Osun As Nigeria’s Infection Record Soars / Reasons Why Most Guys Delay In Marrying Their Girlfriend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.