Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,767 members, 7,806,113 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:38 AM

N13,500 Pay Threatens Operation Amotekun - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / N13,500 Pay Threatens Operation Amotekun (26476 Views)

FG Declares Operation Amotekun Illegal / Operation Amotekun: Carry Illegal Arms, Be Arrested, Police Warn OPC, Hunters / Operation Amotekun Begins In South-West: Yoruba Youths Warn Criminals (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

N13,500 Pay Threatens Operation Amotekun by Islie: 9:23am On Jan 14, 2020
The pay is poor —Hunters

Start with N50, 000 —Agbekoya

States yet to decide on remuneration — Dojumo
To meet in Ibadan today

S’West Govs’ action constitutional—Ekiti NBA

Amotekun not a military wing of OPC—Aare Adams

By Dayo Johnson, Dapo Akinrefon, Ola Ajayi & Rotimi Ojomoyela

IBADAN —THE newly launched joint security outfit, Western Nigeria Security Network, codenamed Operation Amotekun, was threatened, yesterday, by the Soludero Hunters’ Association, SHA.

Members of the hunters’ association rejected the proposed N13,500 monthly payment for personnel of the outfit.

The hunters also called on the initiators to organize a parley where all the personnel would meet to identify themselves.

But reacting, the Ondo State Government said the six South-West states have not agreed on remuneration for the personnel.

This came on a day the Nigerian Bar Association, NBA, in Ado Ekiti, threw its weight behind the outfit, saying the South-West governors acted in consonance with the spirit and letters of the 1999 constitution.

Hunters reject N13, 500

Speaking through its National President, Oba Nureni Anabi, the hunters who would be active members of Amotekun said the motive for setting up the outfit would be counter-productive if the personnel didn’t know themselves.

Anabi said the six states, which formed the outfit should reconsider the meager salary of N13,500 to be paid to the members of the outfit.

Anabi said: “We are happy at the proactive move of our governors. They have shown good leadership qualities by launching the Amotekun
security outfit. Now, we can sleep with our two eyes closed.

“We, the Soludero Hunters Association, will do our best to ensure that the outfit remains.
“Having launched the outfit, I want a forum where all of us that would work in the outfit would meet ourselves.

“This is very important because as of now, we don’t know ourselves and this is very dangerous when we talk of security. This will enable us to familiarize and know one another.

“I heard that the Oyo State government alone purchased 33 patrol vans, while other states donated 20 vehicles.”

Start with N50,000 —Agbekoya

Frowning at the proposed remuneration, the Agbekoya Farmers’ Association, called for an upward review for personnel.

Its President-General, Chief Kamorudeen Okikiola, who commended the governors for the launch of the outfit, said the proposed remuneration was poor.

Okikiola said: “The Operation Amotekun is a welcome initiative by the governors but they do not have a concrete plan as regards recruitment of personnel. What kind of people will be recruited? Are they going to recruit those without any security experience? How much will they be paid monthly? You cannot pay someone who wants to confront armed criminals N13,500. Let us tell ourselves the truth, the Police cannot venture into the forests to confront these criminals. If the governors are serious, they should start with N50, 000 as monthly pay. This will motivate those who will be part of the outfit.

“If the governors do not want casualities, they (governors) should recruit personnel who have a background in security and can confront the armed criminals.”

States yet to decide on salary — Ondo gov

But making clarifications, Special Adviser to the Ondo State Governor on Security Matters, Alhaji Jimoh Dojumo, said the six South-West states are yet to agree on the remuneration for the personnel, saying “we are meeting today again in Ibadan (Oyo State) and that is one of the agenda that would be jointly agreed on.

“All those to be employed should be rest assured that the states would remunerate them handsomely for their services. We are yet to decide on the amount to pay the personnel. All that you read on social media are not true.

“After our meeting in Ibadan today, we will jointly agree on a uniform amount to pay the personnel including the hunters, Oodua Peoples Congress, OPC, and Agbekoya that are ready to lay down their lives to ensure that our people in the zone sleep with their two eyes closed.

“But at the same time, I want to appeal to them to consider what they are about to do as service to humanity and not make the remuneration as their priority.

“The security of the lives and property of the people in the region is of paramount importance to the six governors, hence, this concept should be applauded.”

S’West Govs’ action constitutional —Ekiti NBA

Meanwhile, the NBA in Ado Ekiti has backed the new outfit, saying the governors acted in consonance with the spirit and letters of the 1999 constitution.

The NBA Chairman, Ado Ekiti chapter, Mr. Samuel Falade, in a telephone conversation argued that though Sections 214 and 215 of the 1999 Constitution mandated the Police as the agency responsible for the protection of lives and property to provide security, that this doesn’t preclude the governors from taking further measures to reinforce protection for the citizens.

Falade said: “However, Chapter 2, Section 14 (2b) gives mandate and rights to president and governors to provide security across the country and in their respective states, that the primary duty of government is to protect lives and properties.

“Also, Section 20 of Administration of Criminal Justice allows a private citizen to arrest any criminal and hand over to the police for investigation and prosecution. Under this context, operatives of Operation Amotekun can arrest and handover to the police for proper action.

“I see no reason people should criticise the body or entertain fears, because the governors had spoken about the modus operandi of Amotekun, which was that they would work alongside the Police, NSCDC and Army.

“We have had several cases of kidnapping, killings and ritual cases among other crimes in the region in the last few years and there must be proactive action to complement conventional security architecture to rise to these sordid situations.

“The essence of Amotekun is to rise to the present insecurity in the South-West and governors as Chief Security Officers can design ways to protect their citizens as long as such step is in line with the law, which is the case with Amotekun.”

He described the noise about Amotekun as unwarranted and unnecessary, saying it has a precedent in the history of the country.

“Let me emphasize that Amotekun has precedent. We have the Civilian Joint Task Force, CJTF, in the North-East to help combat Boko Haram, so Amotekun has both constitutional and judicial backing for the protection of lives and property.

“As usual, once anyone is arrested, he will be immediately handed over to the police. With this, it’s a welcome development and it is a right step in the right direction.

“Any citizen or governor in the South-West ,who refuses to support this laudable and great idea is several years behind time,” he said.

Amotekun not a military wing of OPC —Aare Adams

Similarly, the Aare Ona Kakanfo of Yorubaland, Iba Gani Adams, yesterday, said the outfit should not be seen as the military arm of OPC.
In a communiqué by the Aare-in-Council at the end of its meeting, yesterday, Iba Adams said: “Contrary to fears in certain quarters, the outfit will complement the security architecture of the region, and the nation at large, as well as boost the security of lives and property in the land.”

He dispelled insinuation that the South West security network is a military wing of the OPC, saying “the long history of OPC vis-à-vis its contribution to regional security is not in doubt.”
The congress stressed that it “will leverage on its rich experience, to support any initiative that will help secure Yoruba land and make it a no-go area to career criminals and their tribes.”

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2020/01/n13500-pay-threatens-operation-amotekun/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: N13,500 Pay Threatens Operation Amotekun by agwom(m): 9:26am On Jan 14, 2020
Their salary is more than that of civil servants
Re: N13,500 Pay Threatens Operation Amotekun by HallaDaTruth: 9:27am On Jan 14, 2020
Ok

2 Likes

Re: N13,500 Pay Threatens Operation Amotekun by Fryzi(m): 9:30am On Jan 14, 2020
Is like they want to recruit threats to the society with that paltry sum... Why won't they use the opportunity to extort citizens and even rob when given arms if they peg their salary for N13,500. Boko haram and cattle herdsmen are enough for us, we don't want another group.

55 Likes 1 Share

Re: N13,500 Pay Threatens Operation Amotekun by StaffofOrayan(m): 9:47am On Jan 14, 2020
I was expecting this to happen
The liver these governors use to call these stupid sums is so annoying

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: N13,500 Pay Threatens Operation Amotekun by CharlotteFlair: 9:53am On Jan 14, 2020
... But reacting, the Ondo State Government said the six South-West states have not agreed on remuneration for the personnel

And that's where I stopped reading.

How can you plan this for several months and even budgeted for logistics which had been deployed, without having agreed on remuneration of personnel?

And now you brick-brat.

Theres a Fifth columinist agenda.

39 Likes 1 Share

Re: N13,500 Pay Threatens Operation Amotekun by CharlotteFlair: 9:55am On Jan 14, 2020
StaffofOrayan:
You mean you were expecting they would roll out when all has not been agreed? At least not for something as sensitive as salary.
So what have they been deliberating on since?

4 Likes

Re: N13,500 Pay Threatens Operation Amotekun by Nobody: 9:57am On Jan 14, 2020
One day.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: N13,500 Pay Threatens Operation Amotekun by Nobody: 10:00am On Jan 14, 2020
At N13,500, they would eventually become the bandits you are looking for.

70 Likes 3 Shares

Re: N13,500 Pay Threatens Operation Amotekun by Blackeuropean: 10:17am On Jan 14, 2020
StaffofOrayan:

Lolz, So they are yet to conclude their pays before after floating all those meetings? Thank Goodness I left in 2008, once i get my current European passport this Year as a Naturalized Citizen, Naija passport Bye Bye.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: N13,500 Pay Threatens Operation Amotekun by maynation(f): 10:21am On Jan 14, 2020
Are these governors mad? I hope this isn't true anyways.
Whatever happens to our minimum wage.

1 Like

Re: N13,500 Pay Threatens Operation Amotekun by delpee(f): 10:30am On Jan 14, 2020
They should initiate a security trust fund for people and companies to contribute to. The Amotekun operatives deserve to be well remunerated.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: N13,500 Pay Threatens Operation Amotekun by Maxcollins042(m): 10:54am On Jan 14, 2020
N13, 500 as monthly income for a security personnel and they are expected to be effective in carrying out their duty? This country sha.

2 Likes

Re: N13,500 Pay Threatens Operation Amotekun by FactBoyz: 10:54am On Jan 14, 2020
grin
Re: N13,500 Pay Threatens Operation Amotekun by Keenmind2019(m): 10:54am On Jan 14, 2020
Something that our NL hunter dead meat suya guy will embrace with pride. tongue

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: N13,500 Pay Threatens Operation Amotekun by yeyeboi(m): 10:55am On Jan 14, 2020
I reject Big work small money in Jesus name ... Amen

11 Likes

Re: N13,500 Pay Threatens Operation Amotekun by Cantonese: 10:55am On Jan 14, 2020
Work never start money don bring katakata. Dem take sharing do Yoruba people sef?

5 Likes

Re: N13,500 Pay Threatens Operation Amotekun by Kendumazy(m): 10:55am On Jan 14, 2020
Lol. Not even upto previous minimum wage.

1 Like

Re: N13,500 Pay Threatens Operation Amotekun by samuelshosanya(m): 10:55am On Jan 14, 2020
Haba it's too small for someone that is risking his life for the sake of others

1 Like

Re: N13,500 Pay Threatens Operation Amotekun by girigonri: 10:56am On Jan 14, 2020
Nigeria is hell! You are giving a security force 13,500. While one ex governor in Zamafara is paid 10 million monthly for being a governor.

Nigerians needs to wake up and fight these blood sucking leaders.

2 Likes

Re: N13,500 Pay Threatens Operation Amotekun by emeijeh(m): 10:56am On Jan 14, 2020
13k5 for a month?
This country is a huge joke.

Lordave:
“Naturalized”

Unless you’re not alive.
His middle name must be Acid grin
Re: N13,500 Pay Threatens Operation Amotekun by Sterope(f): 10:56am On Jan 14, 2020
N13, 500 + guns

This will not end well!

9 Likes

Re: N13,500 Pay Threatens Operation Amotekun by Lordave: 10:56am On Jan 14, 2020
Blackeuropean:

Lolz, So they are yet to conclude their pays before after floating all those meetings? Thank Goodness I left in 2008, once i get my current European passport this Year as a Neutralized Citizen, Naija passport Bye Bye.
“Naturalized”

Unless you’re not alive.

1 Like

Re: N13,500 Pay Threatens Operation Amotekun by Nobody: 10:56am On Jan 14, 2020
angry
Re: N13,500 Pay Threatens Operation Amotekun by Nobody: 10:56am On Jan 14, 2020
CharlotteFlair:
You mean you were expecting they would roll out when all has not been agreed? At least not for something as sensitive as salary.
So what have they been deliberating on since?

I wasnt surprised though. Typical nigerianism would be like "just start work fes, money will come."
We know the average Nigerian would do anything to get into the payroll of the government, cos to them, it guarantees job security.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: N13,500 Pay Threatens Operation Amotekun by NiklauseFred(m): 10:57am On Jan 14, 2020
Blackeuropean:

Lolz, So they are yet to conclude their pays before after floating all those meetings? Thank Goodness I left in 2008, once i get my current European passport this Year as a Neutralized Citizen, Naija passport Bye Bye.

Congratulations bro.My ship go reach that side one day smiley

2 Likes

Re: N13,500 Pay Threatens Operation Amotekun by HisMajesty1(m): 10:57am On Jan 14, 2020
Lol... At least let them start with minimum wage.

2 Likes

Re: N13,500 Pay Threatens Operation Amotekun by Dpharisee: 10:57am On Jan 14, 2020
How much does Kano pay Hisbah, let them start with what is existing.
Thanks to Nnamdi Kanu and Obasanjo for opening the eyes of Governors in the South West about Fulanization threat to their existence

1 Like

Re: N13,500 Pay Threatens Operation Amotekun by Bigflamie(m): 10:57am On Jan 14, 2020
You guys shouldn't start disturbing us with this nonsense.

Its none of our business

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Abule-Ado Explosion: Lagos State Government Presents Cheques To Survivors / Can Osinbajo Be A Good President? / Revolutionnow Symposium: At Last, Police Allow Falana, Others To Enter Hall

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.