Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,728 members, 7,802,202 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:57 AM

Armed Forces Remembrance Day: Families Of Slain Soldiers Cry For Help - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Armed Forces Remembrance Day: Families Of Slain Soldiers Cry For Help (16710 Views)

Troops Recover Weapons Of Slain Soldiers In Delta / Pity Us — Soldiers Cry Out After Being Celibate For Over A Year (Photos, Video) / Nigerian Soldiers Cry Out After Boko Haram Attack Killing 100 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Armed Forces Remembrance Day: Families Of Slain Soldiers Cry For Help by agwom(m): 5:18am On Jan 15, 2020
As Nigeria marks this year’s Armed Forces Remembrance Day, families of soldiers who made the supreme sacrifice while fighting the Boko Haram insurgency in the North East and other security challenges across the country are crying for help. Daily Trust reports that while many soldiers fighting Boko Haram insurgents in the North East have been killed in the battle front, many others lost their lives while tackling other security challenges in different parts of the country.

The Armed Forces Day is observed annually by nations around the world to honour their military forces. In Nigeria, it is marked on January 15 to honour members of the Nigerian Armed Forces who fought in the first and second world wars and those who served or are still serving in various peace support operations worldwide. The day is also marked to appreciate those who fought in the Nigerian Civil War. The event, which is usually held at the federal, state and local levels, has become a national ritual as military personnel including the Army, the Navy, the Air force and the Nigerian Legion converge to celebrate and give honour to the fallen and living heroes.

In Nigeria, the exact number of soldiers killed in the battle front is not given because of secrecy in the military circle. Some relatives said they learnt of the deaths of their loved ones through other sources as the military had not informed them officially. Documents show that in the last few years, Nigerian military operatives have been involved in Internal Security Operations (ISO) in 32 states to contain different threats including the Boko Haram insurgency, farmers/herders clashes, banditry, kidnapping, ethnic confrontations and militancy. The military had also recorded huge successes including liberating many communities, rescuing thousands of kidnapped victims and rehabilitating and paving way for reintegration of repentant criminals.

Our plight – families of fallen soldiers

Some widows and relations of troops who lost their lives while fighting the Boko Haram insurgents recounted the difficulties they now encounter in their struggle for survival following the exit of their breadwinners. Sylverna Alawade, widow and mother of a 4-year-old daughter said her husband, Lance Corporal Shefiu Alawade, was declared ‘missing in action’ at Metele in Northern Borno in May 2019 and was later confirmed dead in battle.

“When he was leaving us for the front line, he left his ATM card with us to be withdrawing money. Unknown to us, he was bidding us final farewell. However, when we did not see or hear from him a month after, I suddenly remembered that Metele had been attacked, and he could have been a victim. My fears were later confirmed,” she said. She, however, lamented that her late husband’s entitlements have not been paid yet a year after his death. “It has been hell with me and my daughter; I have been going through tough times.

The army is yet to reach out to us. It is a painful thing that my husband defended the country but we are now suffering,” she lamented. While appealing to the federal government to do something about her plight, Sylverna said: “Since he was declared missing in action more than a year ago, they should pay us the compensation because he spent six years in service before the incident happened. If they pay us the compensation we can use it to address some challenges we are facing now.”

The experience of another widow who gave her name as Ogechukwu is different from that of Sylverna. Ogechukwu said her husband, Staff Sgt. Ibrahim Waziri, was killed in combat with Boko Haram at Damboa in southern Borno on October 29, 2016. The mother of three said: “It has not been easy with us since we lost him but by the special grace of God, we have been managing. Only his gratuity has been paid which is what I have been using to do some business for the sustenance of the family.

The military is sponsoring the education of the children. “It has been very difficult living without my husband but we are managing,” she said. Lance Cpl Oluwafunmilayo Ogunubi said she is the widow of Cpl Idowu Emmanuel who died during the battle with insurgents at New Marte in northern Borno on January 8, 2017. Funmilayo, who acknowledged that some of her late husband’s benefits have been paid, called on relevant authorities to do more. “My husband’s burial expenses, gratuity and insurance have been paid and that is what I have been using to run some business to train my children and sustain the family, but I don’t know anything about pension,” she said. Timothy Olanrewaju who is a journalist said his elder brother, Samuel Olanrewaju, who left teaching to enlist in the Nigerian Army in 1997 was declared missing in action between Baga and Metele in March 2019. “He was later confirmed to have been executed by Boko Haram.

My brother was deployed to the theatre of Boko Haram war from the Nigerian Army Infantry Barracks, Owode-Yewa, Ogun State. In June 2019, I approached the army that video a footage released by Boko Haram showed that he was executed by the insurgents. “Before then, nobody from the army authorities ever told us that he was dead after his abduction alongside others by the insurgents in December 2018. “Later, his wife called on phone and told me that the army authorities had officially informed her that her husband had been killed in battle,” he said. Olanrewaju also said they were shocked when they later found out that the bank account of his brother was blocked. “His salary bank account was blocked in June 2019, few months after his death. An account opened by an individual is the property of the individual. This singular act has plunged Samuel’s family into a very precarious situation: no food for the family and no school fees for his two sons; and no support from the army, not even Operation

Lafiya Dole

Theatre Command where he served before his death; his, entitlements have not been paid and following up is a very long procedure. “This has thrust a heavy responsibility on me,” he said. Maintaining that the families of fallen heroes should not suffer, Olanrewaju said the reverse was the case with regards to his late brother as his family was suffering because of the long procedure of getting the entitlements paid.

Losing a soldier is like losing Nigeria – Senator Ndume

The Chairman, Senate Committee on Army, Senator Ali Ndume, said losing a soldier is like losing Nigeria, noting that it is not the number of lives lost that matter. Speaking in a telephone interview, Senator Ndume said he could not tell the number of soldiers that died within the year, adding that the sacrifice made by soldiers to fight the war is huge.

“Nigerians should have the patriotism to feel the huge loss that the country recorded, not just count the number because every life matters. “The most frustrating thing in the war is the way Nigerians are looking at it and is the same thing that has compounded the problem. If Nigerians today will accept the war as a challenge for all, and the government to concentrate holistically on the war, the result will be a huge success. “The war against insurgency and banditry is for the whole Nigeria not the military alone,” he said. It could be recalled that on October 15, 2019, Ndume had said that 840 Nigerian soldiers were killed by Boko Haram terrorists between 2013 and October 2019. The senator said the fallen soldiers were buried at the military cemetery in Maiduguri, the Borno State capital.

No verified figures of military casualty

There are no verifiable figures of casualties suffered by the Nigerian military in the fight against Boko Haram and other criminalities as official figures are kept secret by military authorities on ground of security. Last July, the Wall Street Journal published a report claiming that secret mass burials of about 1,000 soldiers were conducted by the military at the Maimalari Barracks in Maiduguri over a period of one year. The military had since refuted the claim. “Several of my comrades were buried in unmarked graves at night.

They are dying and being deleted from history,” the paper quoted a soldier as saying. Sources said the reason for the secrecy may not be unconnected to the desire of unit commanders to preserve their scant budget allocations and also the desire of the military to protect its image in a war it claimed it had already won.

Fallen heroes deserve to be honoured – Expert

The Executive Secretary, Centre for Crisis Communication (CCC), retired Air Commodore Yusuf Anas, said heroes living or dead are usually celebrated locally, nationally and internationally. He said it was a very important and positive way to encourage people in the military to honour troops who have laid down their lives for their country.

“The Nigerian military has a codified way of honouring fallen heroes as specified in the Harmonized Terms and Conditions-of Service (HTCOS),” he said. He said the provisions were also explicit on how the families of fallen heroes should be treated in the HTCOS. “If there is a lacuna or shoddy handling in giving appropriate and befitting burial to honour our deceased officers and soldiers, the blame falls squarely on the military leadership at all levels,” he said.
https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/armed-forces-remembrance-day-families-of-slain-soldiers-cry-for-help.html

3 Likes

Re: Armed Forces Remembrance Day: Families Of Slain Soldiers Cry For Help by dawnomike(m): 5:23am On Jan 15, 2020
They were slained for their country... and their country remembers them not!

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Armed Forces Remembrance Day: Families Of Slain Soldiers Cry For Help by ForeThinker: 5:30am On Jan 15, 2020
It's well
Re: Armed Forces Remembrance Day: Families Of Slain Soldiers Cry For Help by olutop(m): 5:30am On Jan 15, 2020
Slain for the nation, but the remembrance is Audio remembrance just to fufil all righteousness.

6 Likes

Re: Armed Forces Remembrance Day: Families Of Slain Soldiers Cry For Help by oneTIMEman(m): 5:30am On Jan 15, 2020
My brother paid the price since 2015, They did nothing till now...too bad

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Armed Forces Remembrance Day: Families Of Slain Soldiers Cry For Help by psalmistkakah(m): 5:31am On Jan 15, 2020
May their souls rest in peace... the government should remember to give their family's full support financially.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Armed Forces Remembrance Day: Families Of Slain Soldiers Cry For Help by nairalee(m): 5:32am On Jan 15, 2020
Some countries pay more honor to slain military dogs than Nigeria do to its slain soldier.

Even injured soldiers are abandoned by the Army to cater for themselves. Little wonder some Northerners think it's more honorable and profitable to join BH.

We need to find a way to motivate our gallant soldiers

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Armed Forces Remembrance Day: Families Of Slain Soldiers Cry For Help by whytediamond(m): 5:33am On Jan 15, 2020
Nigeria will be better someday.

1 Like

Re: Armed Forces Remembrance Day: Families Of Slain Soldiers Cry For Help by seunlly(m): 5:34am On Jan 15, 2020
Slain for the country, the country now turns against their families.

They should get the help they needed. They a deserve it.

1 Like

Re: Armed Forces Remembrance Day: Families Of Slain Soldiers Cry For Help by mayorski22(m): 5:34am On Jan 15, 2020
hmm
Re: Armed Forces Remembrance Day: Families Of Slain Soldiers Cry For Help by Rekyz(m): 5:35am On Jan 15, 2020
A country not worth serving.
Re: Armed Forces Remembrance Day: Families Of Slain Soldiers Cry For Help by juman(m): 5:36am On Jan 15, 2020
Rekyz:
A country not worth serving.

Gbam

They wasted their lives.

6 Likes

Re: Armed Forces Remembrance Day: Families Of Slain Soldiers Cry For Help by Rebsy(f): 5:36am On Jan 15, 2020
dawnomike:
They were slained for their country... and their country remembers them not!

What an irony of life. Sad!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Armed Forces Remembrance Day: Families Of Slain Soldiers Cry For Help by mayklef(m): 5:44am On Jan 15, 2020
I've said a couple of times n ama kip saying it.....dis country is nt worth dying for

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Armed Forces Remembrance Day: Families Of Slain Soldiers Cry For Help by OakConsultNG: 5:44am On Jan 15, 2020
God bless them.They paid the supreme sacrifice..

Meanwhile, register your Business, Church and Company with the CAC at discounted prices. Check our signature and page for more details.

Offer lasts for a limited period only.
Re: Armed Forces Remembrance Day: Families Of Slain Soldiers Cry For Help by damosade(m): 5:45am On Jan 15, 2020
Lailai.
I no fit die for Nigeria oo.
Hen, I am not patriotic.
Is it your patriotism?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Armed Forces Remembrance Day: Families Of Slain Soldiers Cry For Help by handsomeyinka(m): 5:45am On Jan 15, 2020
A SLAY QUEEN IS BETTER THAN A SLAIN SOLDIER..

5 Likes

Re: Armed Forces Remembrance Day: Families Of Slain Soldiers Cry For Help by Nukilia: 5:45am On Jan 15, 2020
The innocent lives lost to the brutality of the military in Nigeria have nobody to cry to except God. undecided

1 Like

Re: Armed Forces Remembrance Day: Families Of Slain Soldiers Cry For Help by Ajibade123(m): 5:47am On Jan 15, 2020
O gaa o una no dy sleep for this forum?? which day would will I make FTC like this

anyway do you wish to study or work in Australia,
Canada or US check my signature for more info
Re: Armed Forces Remembrance Day: Families Of Slain Soldiers Cry For Help by Sanjomi4real(m): 5:48am On Jan 15, 2020
Nigeria did not worth dieying for
Re: Armed Forces Remembrance Day: Families Of Slain Soldiers Cry For Help by oaugraduate1234(m): 5:49am On Jan 15, 2020
May the souls of the slain soldiers rest in peace. And may God almighty expose those evils in the army sponsoring boko haram

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Armed Forces Remembrance Day: Families Of Slain Soldiers Cry For Help by Dtraitor: 5:49am On Jan 15, 2020
Lord see us through

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Armed Forces Remembrance Day: Families Of Slain Soldiers Cry For Help by TRUSTEDGUY: 5:50am On Jan 15, 2020
grin

Nigeria: a country where the labours of our Heros past is NOW in vain
Re: Armed Forces Remembrance Day: Families Of Slain Soldiers Cry For Help by KingAzubuike(f): 5:51am On Jan 15, 2020
grin grin grin
Re: Armed Forces Remembrance Day: Families Of Slain Soldiers Cry For Help by YoungLionken(m): 5:52am On Jan 15, 2020
If the govt were reasonable enough,it would see this as opportunity to settle the family financially...
Re: Armed Forces Remembrance Day: Families Of Slain Soldiers Cry For Help by Webmaniac41: 5:53am On Jan 15, 2020
lipsrsealed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Armed Forces Remembrance Day: Families Of Slain Soldiers Cry For Help by olayemioshiyemi: 5:54am On Jan 15, 2020
Re: Armed Forces Remembrance Day: Families Of Slain Soldiers Cry For Help by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:55am On Jan 15, 2020
As Nigeria marks this year’s Armed Forces Remembrance Day, families of soldiers who made the supreme sacrifice while fighting the Boko Haram insurgency in the North East and other security challenges across the country are crying for help. Daily Trust reports that while many soldiers fighting Boko Haram insurgents in the North East have been killed in the battle front, many others lost their lives while tackling other security challenges in different parts of the country. 
May the Soul of our gallant soldiers Continue to Rest in Perfect Peace.
May all the evil politicians that brought this evil Boko Haram upon us as a nation all die miserably
May the blood of our fallen soldiers cry out from the grave to haunt them all the days of their remaining miserable lives.
Along with those that support them.
They will all never escape it.

No be curse,
Na FACT!

We will win this WAR as a nation!

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Armed Forces Remembrance Day: Families Of Slain Soldiers Cry For Help by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:55am On Jan 15, 2020
oaugraduate1234:
May the souls of the slain soldiers rest in peace. And may God almighty expose those evils in the army sponsoring boko haram
A very Big Amen.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Armed Forces Remembrance Day: Families Of Slain Soldiers Cry For Help by LtChisom: 5:55am On Jan 15, 2020
Nigerian army caused me heartache, am devastated, depressed and confused as my whole world crumbled when I noticed I didn't make the final shortlisting for training. what went wrong and what is left of me in this life, I can't come to terms with reality as am still in self denial.
Re: Armed Forces Remembrance Day: Families Of Slain Soldiers Cry For Help by Pavore9: 5:56am On Jan 15, 2020
Senseless waste of lives fighting a battle some senior military officers and politicians are cashing out from.
Re: Armed Forces Remembrance Day: Families Of Slain Soldiers Cry For Help by zolajpower: 5:56am On Jan 15, 2020
Rather be a boy scout who hunt rabbit and antelope than be a rag dog soldier for Nigeria

(1) (2) (Reply)

Tinubu: Coronavirus Has No Respect For Rich Or Poor, Christian Or Muslim / Malami: Why I Recommended Bawa For EFCC Job / Obi Could Have Gone Far, But Obidients Can’t Control Their Mouths - Reno Omokri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.