Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,045 members, 7,799,535 topics. Date: Wednesday, 17 April 2024 at 12:12 AM

Today Is January 15,Anniversary Of First Coup With Ethnic Murder - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Today Is January 15,Anniversary Of First Coup With Ethnic Murder (1186 Views)

Fashola: No Big Deal With Ethnic Politics In Lagos; It’s Global Trend / Remembering Colonel Nwobosi And What He Said About Nigeria's First Coup-pics / How Pst Adeboye Plan Coup With Tinubu's Family (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Today Is January 15,Anniversary Of First Coup With Ethnic Murder by T9ksy(m): 11:53am On Jan 15, 2020
LaMujer:

Sorry no, point of correction. After Nzeogwu's coup, Ironsi was Head of State, and despite Brig Babatunde Ogundipe, a Yoruba, being CSSHQ, Awo wasn't released until Gowon came into power. it was Gowon who released Awo, not Ironsi. and if memory serves me right sef, the coup plotters were all in jail then. So, how did they being in jail, make Gowon release Awo from jail?

Awo wrote to Ironsi pleading his case but Ironsi refused to release from jail citing the dumb excuse that such act may not be couter-productive to his administration bearing in mind that a military HOS was not in our nascent constitution then.

Considering the coup was a federal crime and most of the coupists were easterners, somehow they were all jailed in the eastern province.

1 Like

Re: Today Is January 15,Anniversary Of First Coup With Ethnic Murder by LaMujer: 11:53am On Jan 15, 2020
T9ksy:

But who made Ifeajunna and his band of murderous ethnic bigots the judge, the jury and the executioners of who and who is corrupt at that time.?

So, there were no easterners that were corrupt at that particular time in our democracy?

Na only other people's fathers that were corrupt and hence had to die at the hands of ibo coupists? There were no corrupt ibo leaders 'cause dem all be saints, abi?

Yeah, Ademoyega was complicit in the murders that occurred in lagos but can you professor of nigerian history, tell us who actually he shot dead on that terrible day?

Read Maj Gen David Ejoor's "reminiscences"
Former Military Gov of Mid West

Gowon himself, and another officer, i've forgotten, came to meet him to orchestrate a coup against the government(after the sham of '64 elections).
Even the civilians were hoping that the military would take over, and this was why "there was wide spread jubilation nationwide" after the coup.

Gowon and his band could have carried out the coup, they didnt, situation got worse and the junior officers did
Re: Today Is January 15,Anniversary Of First Coup With Ethnic Murder by LaMujer: 12:10pm On Jan 15, 2020
T9ksy:

Awo wrote to Ironsi pleading his case but Ironsi refused to release from jail citing the dumb excuse that such act may not be couter-productive to his administration bearing in mind that a military HOS was not in our nascent constitution then.

Considering the coup was a federal crime and most of the coupists were easterners, somehow they were all jailed in the eastern province.

Yes, honestly, i think one thing we all will agree on is that Ironsi didn't handle the coupist very well. but then, in his defence, the Northerners were asking for them to be Killed(or was it tried?) and the Nation was applauding them as a hero of "democracy"(yeah, doesn't make sense). He prolly did it wrong for jailing them in the east.

as for not releasing Awo.......i have no comments on that grin
Re: Today Is January 15,Anniversary Of First Coup With Ethnic Murder by atmstyle: 12:11pm On Jan 15, 2020
LaMujer:

Gun carrying officers? BLATANT LIE!

the Nigerian Army gun carrying officers was filled with Northerners. and that's why After Gowon, there was Murtala who ruled with Obj and "TY Danjuma", Buhari, IBB, Abacha.

Some of us have read a lot brother, a lot.

That change happened after the July 1966 coup. Ask anybody who knows history. Even op.
Re: Today Is January 15,Anniversary Of First Coup With Ethnic Murder by T9ksy(m): 12:11pm On Jan 15, 2020
LaMujer:

Read Maj Gen David Ejoor's "reminiscences"
Former Military Gov of Mid West

Gowon himself, and another officer, i've forgotten, came to meet him to orchestrate a coup against the government(after the sham of '64 elections).
Even the civilians were hoping that the military would take over, and this was why "there was wide spread jubilation nationwide" after the coup.

Gowon and his band could have carried out the coup, they didnt, situation got worse and the junior officers did

You got your wires crossed, matey.That officer was actually Ojukwu but neither Gowon nor Ejoor had concrete proof.

After the sham '64 election, banjo was actually plooding Ironsi to take over govt whilst Zik too was mouthing similar suggestion till the heads of the armed forces put him in his place by reminding him that they were answerable to the PM and not a figure-head president of the country.

Banjo was not a member of the Jan 15th coup but somehow found himself in prison in the eastern region two days after, on the allegation of another ibo soldier who claimed that banjo was trying to topple the new military govt of Ironsi. Apparently, banjo was supposed to have in to see Ironsi with his service pistol to hand. you guys always believe you are smarter than everyone else in the country whereas all you possess is juvenile mischief.
Re: Today Is January 15,Anniversary Of First Coup With Ethnic Murder by Nobody: 12:23pm On Jan 15, 2020
Meanwhile in Nigeria grin

Cc lzaa gmbuharii ebenezar2020

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Today Is January 15,Anniversary Of First Coup With Ethnic Murder by LZAA: 12:33pm On Jan 15, 2020
immhotep:
Meanwhile in Nigeria grin

Cc lzaa gmbuharii ebenezar2020

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Today Is January 15,Anniversary Of First Coup With Ethnic Murder by LaMujer: 12:40pm On Jan 15, 2020
T9ksy:

You got your wires crossed, matey.That officer was actually Ojukwu but neither Gowon nor Ejoor had concrete proof.

After the sham '64 election, banjo was actually plooding Ironsi to take over govt whilst Zik too was mouthing similar suggestion till the heads of the armed forces put him in his place by reminding him that they were answerable to the PM and not a figure-head president of the country.

Banjo was not a member of the Jan 15th coup but somehow found himself in prison in the eastern region two days after, on the allegation of another ibo soldier who claimed that banjo was trying to topple the new military govt of Ironsi. Apparently, banjo was supposed to have in to see Ironsi with his service pistol to hand. you guys always believe you are smarter than everyone else in the country whereas all you possess is juvenile mischief.

i stated what i said, Ejoor said. Ejoor was lying isn't on me.

besides, how do you expect either Ejoor or Gowon to proof that they met to talk about a coup that didn't happen?

c'mon man. even Dimka's coup, until it happened, no one believed it would. every coup is a farce, until it is carried out

at the bolded, that's my point. We are all blaming Nzeogwu and co for doing what a lot of soldiers in the army wanted to do. Like if Nzeogwu didn't do it, some other officer's wouldn't have done it. haba naa.

I repeat, it could have been ethnic purging(we'd never really know based on intent, but their actions proved it), but that was because majority of the top politicians were Northerners
Re: Today Is January 15,Anniversary Of First Coup With Ethnic Murder by LaMujer: 12:48pm On Jan 15, 2020
T9ksy

Also, while we keep talking about Jan 15 coup, we should also keep talking about July 29 coup that was a clean and clear anti igbo coup. We can't be talking about Jan 15, yet conveniently ignoring July 29(which happened after the igbo killings that was going on in the northern part of the country)
Re: Today Is January 15,Anniversary Of First Coup With Ethnic Murder by T9ksy(m): 12:58pm On Jan 15, 2020
LaMujer:
T9ksy

Also, while we keep talking about Jan 15 coup, we should also keep talking about July 29 coup that was a clean and clear anti north coup. We can't be talking about Jan 15, yet conveniently ignoring July 29(which happened after the anti North killings that was going on in the northern part of the country)

Ol' boy, don't befuddle yourself. The july coup was obviously anti-ibo after the latter had murdered most of the northern leaders in the jan coup.

The killings in the north was nothing new, afterall they killed ibos in 1945 and 1953 yet it was the same ibos who were desirous about the notion of one united nigeria.

The killings of ibos in may 1966 was the response of the northerners to Ironsi's unification decree which they were obviously opposed to as they believed these will afford the ibos the opportunity to dominate them in their own region and dilute their culture and religion.

1 Like

Re: Today Is January 15,Anniversary Of First Coup With Ethnic Murder by Nobody: 12:58pm On Jan 15, 2020
BeardedMeat:
Another jihadist and terrorist.

I thank the people that rid Nigeria of these elements who sowed the seeds of insecurity and mindless killings on our land.
Why would you make such a speech? Imagine some known soldiers taking out the southeastern political elites?
Re: Today Is January 15,Anniversary Of First Coup With Ethnic Murder by LaMujer: 1:07pm On Jan 15, 2020
T9ksy:

Ol' boy, don't befuddle yourself. The july coup was obviously anti-ibo after the latter had murdered most of the northern leaders in the jan coup.

The killings in the north was nothing new, afterall they killed ibos in 1945 and 1953 yet it was the same ibos who were desirous about the notion of one united nigeria.

The killings of ibos in may 1966 was the response of the northerners to Ironsi's unification decree which they were obviously opposed to as they believed these will afford the ibos the opportunity to dominate them in their own region and dilute their culture and religion.

mehn bruh, for real, i'm tired. i dived into our history to find out what's wrong and how it started going wrong, months down the line, i still don't know any better
Re: Today Is January 15,Anniversary Of First Coup With Ethnic Murder by T9ksy(m): 1:35pm On Jan 15, 2020
LaMujer:

mehn bruh, for real, i'm tired. i dived into our history to find out what's wrong and how it started going wrong, months down the line, i still don't know any better

I believe things started going wrong when some, decided inspite of our obvious differences that regional federalism is not what we need but centralism.

1 Like

Re: Today Is January 15,Anniversary Of First Coup With Ethnic Murder by femolii: 1:49pm On Jan 15, 2020
But Igbo's paid with their blood.
Re: Today Is January 15,Anniversary Of First Coup With Ethnic Murder by BeardedMeat(m): 2:15pm On Jan 15, 2020
Crayfish09:

Where is the bigotry on this thread? Are you saying that the killings were not selective?
Yes. An Igbo man was killed too.
Re: Today Is January 15,Anniversary Of First Coup With Ethnic Murder by Obiobidgbo14: 3:45pm On Jan 15, 2020
If what we heard about the coup is true definitely God will surely vindicate the IGBOS & they will have full blown moon.All these propaganda will be exposed
Re: Today Is January 15,Anniversary Of First Coup With Ethnic Murder by AceRoot(m): 4:59pm On Jan 15, 2020
LaMujer:

Sorry no, point of correction. After Nzeogwu's coup, Ironsi was Head of State, and despite Brig Babatunde Ogundipe, a Yoruba, being CSSHQ, Awo wasn't released until Gowon came into power. it was Gowon who released Awo, not Ironsi. and if memory serves me right sef, the coup plotters were all in jail then. So, how did they being in jail, make Gowon release Awo from jail?

Here is an excerpt from Awo's diary:

----------------------------------------
"I will let my Diary for 3 August speak briefly here.
(1) Crossed the prison gate into freedom at 7.56 a.m.
(2) Plane took off from Calabar at 8.30 a.m.
(3) Arrived Ikeja airport at 9.32 a.m.
(4) Saw Gowon at his Headquarters.
(5) Returned to Ikenne alone in triumph. At this juncture, it is of interest to narrate the nature of Ironsi’s proposed release as it was disclosed to me after my actual release. The plan was to take me to Ikoyi prison until it was judged safe to set me free. A cell had been prepared for me there which contained extra facilities . If I did not like the place, I could be placed under house arrest at Ikenne. If I wanted to travel abroad, every facility would be afforded me to do so. That was why my intended release was not announced, even though a plane had been dispatched to Calabar to bring me to Lagos. Until negotiation with me on the above lines had been concluded, Ironsi’s team did not want the public to know that I had been transferred back to Ikoyi prison or to my house under house arrest, with my own consent."

------------------------------

Read more here: https://www.nairaland.com/1932621/released-awolowo-prison-ojukwu-gowon

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

There's Nothing More Threatening To Life Than Living In Nigeria - Peter Obi / Buhari's Chief Of Staff, Bodyguard Are Dead, What Is The Wish Of VP Osibanjo / Ruga Project : Ganduje, Kano Igbos Reject Call For Relocation Of Fulani From Sou

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.