Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,538 members, 7,808,984 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:29 PM

Niger Delta Under Internal ‘Colonial Rule’ - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Niger Delta Under Internal ‘Colonial Rule’ (7433 Views)

Checkout A Village Court In Uyo In 1949 Where Colonial Officers Preside(pic) / Buhari To Continue Amnesty Programme For Niger Delta / Katsina Stoning: Niger Delta “ll Retaliate, Says Dokubo Asari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Niger Delta Under Internal ‘Colonial Rule’ by DapoBear(m): 1:01am On Dec 08, 2010
No one has yet justified why the enormous amount of resources that the Delta currently receives is so badly misspent. I understand, you want a larger piece of the cake. But why are you wasting the slices of the cake you are currently getting?

Any solution for the Delta will require addressing both the money they are earning and the money they fritter away. You cannot address the former alone. Yet that seems to be the primary focus of this thread.
Re: Niger Delta Under Internal ‘Colonial Rule’ by amazonia(m): 1:20am On Dec 08, 2010
DapoBear:

No one has yet justified why the enormous amount of resources that the Delta currently receives is so badly misspent. I understand, you want a larger piece of the cake. But why are you wasting the slices of the cake you are currently getting?

The rulers are not accountable to the ruled.
The rulers of the states had often been agents of the federal exploiters.
Unresponsive to local concerns. Limiting federal and empowering state might help.
Re: Niger Delta Under Internal ‘Colonial Rule’ by amazonia(m): 1:38am On Dec 08, 2010
DapoBear:

Any solution for the Delta will require addressing both the money they are earning and the money they fritter away. You cannot address the former alone. Yet that seems to be the primary focus of this thread.

Our problem is good governance. The government we have now though civil, still
have many elements of dictatorship of the military. They don't know otherwise. They
grew up under military culture. Hence their tendencies toward violences projections.
Rather than seeking the conscents of the governed.
Re: Niger Delta Under Internal ‘Colonial Rule’ by Abagworo(m): 1:51am On Dec 08, 2010
DapoBear:

The truth is that some of us need to visit a State like Bayelsa and observe how difficult the terrain is before we pass our judgement.Bayelsa needs more allocation than FCT before any meaningful infrastructural development can be achieved there.Rivers is looking good because the North is dryland and most people just visit the upland area.The Governors can easily concentrate on the upland and end up depriving the riverine.It is not as a result of ethnic bias since even Diete-Spiff's administration focused on Port-Harcourt in most of their infrastructural development.What we Nigerians should do is to fight for resource control so that these people can take care of their difficult terrain with the oil money.
Re: Niger Delta Under Internal ‘Colonial Rule’ by birdman(m): 6:29am On Dec 08, 2010
DapoBear:

The problem is, you can't address the waste in ND out of the context of waste and corruption in Nigeria. God knows pretty much every ND leader that has come out since Saro Wiwa has been found to be part of the colonisers themselves.
Re: Niger Delta Under Internal ‘Colonial Rule’ by amazonia(m): 7:39am On Dec 08, 2010
@Abagworo,
I agree with you. States resources control is the only solution.
States to administer mineral right. Federal tax the proceeds.
Federal control of resources only in federal reserved areas and
Interstates and international waters.

This will improve economic of scale. More transparency and accountability
to the people. When citizens starts owning oil in their land, there would
not be need to hide the money. Because is not a loot. people will spend
it more wisely than the government can. What the rulers get now they hide.
Who know how many football size basements filled with dollars and pounds
to the roofs in the North. This type of things is what is killing us.

The Niger-delta cities skylines and coastlines will all be developed . Individual
families oil business success will be erecting skyscrapers all over the places.
Railways thru the rural to urban areas will help farmers get their produces to
the markets. The money to do these improvements are there now, but they
are not being spent because they were gotten illegally.
Re: Niger Delta Under Internal ‘Colonial Rule’ by xoxogg(f): 9:22am On Dec 08, 2010
birdman:

The problem is, you can't address the waste in ND out of the context of waste and corruption in Nigeria. God knows pretty much every ND leader that has come out since Saro Wiwa has been found to be part of the colonisers themselves.

The leaders of Nigeria are the problem of the ND. Sadly, the north has ruled more than any region and therefore more blame should be apportioned to it, so its understandable if anyone wants to blame them. Going by the last 12 yrs, i dare say the south appears to be no better at leading, if region is the problem of Nigeria, then right about now we should have been witnessing a turn around in the state of things, since the north is no longer ruling.

No singular arm of govt is free of blame. The FG (i don't even want to get started with them, they are the worse of the lot), so also the leaders of the ND and even the some of the so-called militants are no better than the north we keep blaming, they also want to fill their pockets.  If the leaders are doing their job, the state of things would not be as sorry as it is. 13% derivation can achieve a lot more than they have to show. Even the community leaders contribute to the plight of their people. The ordinary ND man is the only victim in all of this, they are the ones who suffer most, and sadly the militant leaders take advantage of them to get what they want. Absolving other regions of blame is mere wishful thinking.
Re: Niger Delta Under Internal ‘Colonial Rule’ by texazzpete(m): 9:32am On Dec 08, 2010
PhysicsQED:

Perhaps I misread this then, so you could explain it to me, I've never seen any joint operation between the federal government and foreign companies where the Nigerian government got up to 90%, and in fact that figure sounds very implausible. Surely those companies know that they could get a better deal, as they are the ones doing the real work and with the real expertise. But then again, if I see the actual facts/figures, I'll believe it.

That's why i ask you to do proper research. Those figures are from the split of 'profit oil'.
Now, let's take 100 barrels of oil as an example.
In the Joint Venture situation i mentioned earlier, as soon as the oil comes out, the Federal Government take 80% off as Royalties.

That 80 out of 100 barrels.

Of the remaining 20% (20 barrels), the entire sum is then taxed. Oil Industry taxes are not known for being negligible  grin. Let's assume for this case, that the tax is 25%. So that's 5 barrels gone and 15 barrels remaining. And that's 85% (85 barrels to Nigeria).
Now after the taxes are applied, the investors (IOCs, NOC) are allowed to recover their cost from the remaining. Let's say 2 % (2 barrels goes towards cost recovery).

The last remaining 13 barrels (13%) is known as the PROFIT OIL, and is the amount that is now shared according to the JV stake (i.e NNPC 55%, Shell 30% etc)

So at the end of the day, out of the 100 barrels recovered, around 90% ends up with the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

I don't know why this sounds so implausible to you, this is rather in line with what happens around the world and Nigeria is no exception. The oil business yields so much money that even the 10% left for the IOCs is still rather lucrative.

I don't know why many people have this idea of an almost equal split in oil revenue between the FG and IOCs. The FG gets the bulk of the oil money and the minimum of the blame. That's a win-win situation for them  grin

PS: As stated, the cost recovery and the post royalty tax splits  i used are assumptions for this discussion. Don't take them as canon. The Royalty figure is fixed at 80% though.
Re: Niger Delta Under Internal ‘Colonial Rule’ by texazzpete(m): 9:48am On Dec 08, 2010
PhysicsQED:

Oil reforms? Do tell!. . .Would this be something like, say, 50% derivation? Or revoking the Land Use Act? Or would it be mere government paper-shuffling and phrase-mongering? I would just like to know, as an objective observer, what reforms the boys in the Delta should be waiting for thieving incompetent, and unconcerned goons in Abuja to pass.

Don't be mischievous. By 'Oil Reforms', anyone remotely interested in Nigeria should know i'm talking about the Petroleum Industry Bill. This Bill is an unstoppable juggernaut at the moment, and it WILL be passed.
The bill formerly had a provision for 10% equity share of the proceeds from oil for the host communities. This has recently been changed (for legal and practical reasons) to a dividend share to the communities depending on the value of the hydrocarbon in their communities.

http://www.nigeriannewsservice.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=1577:fg-jettisons-10-equity-for-oil-communities&Itemid=231&tmpl=component&print=1

PhysicsQED:

I think this is a case of "not doing proper research and making really brainless comments." The Federal Government (central government) gets 87% of oil revenue. The remaining 9 oil producing states share the remaining 13% according to the amount of oil produced by that state. For example, Delta state gets 3.9% and Bayelsa gets 2.3%. Or do you think 9 x 13% < 100%? grin

Yeah, go ahead and deliberately misconstrue my statements. That make you feel smarter?

PhysicsQED:

But they are "their people." By helping themselves to profits, they're helping their community, no? Sure there's environmental damage, but that would be there anyways and the government will never do anything about any environmental damage because the people controlling government are in some far away desert and those not in that desert are directly beholden, or aligned with, those in that desert. If they can't go about their lives normally due to all the environmental damage already on ground before the bunkering, why not be able to make a profit?

You may have the mental image of hundreds or thousands of youths boring into pipelines and siphoning away crude to support themselves and their families and to improve their region. That's naive. As will all organized criminal syndicates, the bulk of the money goes to the overlord, while the guys doing the menial work get a pittance. Either way, these criminals can be found in nightclubs frittering away their stolen cash, while their bosses funnel their money outside Nigeria.
As i said before, a 'Robin Hood' scenario would have been welcome. But that's hardly the Nigerian way, is it? grin
Re: Niger Delta Under Internal ‘Colonial Rule’ by Vavavoom(m): 11:18am On Dec 08, 2010
The story of Nigeria unfortunately bears a striking similarity with that of the parable of the good Samaritan in the bible. People who can rise above greed and be sympathetic amongst us are yet to travel the leadership route. Instead we've replaced white colonial masters with internal ones.
It is foolhardy to expect rogue creations from Abuja who fill leadership positions in the ND to be different from their lords. Governance to these lot is like paying royalty from earnings( state allocation) to the center(Abuja). How the indigenes fair is neither their care nor concern. Ibori, Odili, Alams, Obong Attah, Lucky and co were never answerable to the people but Abuja. Each one was engaged in systemic resource mismanagement that enables self aggrandisement with ''extended courtesies'' to Abuja. Chrisbenogor's NNPC analogy is perfect for how things generally work in Nigeria nay ND.
In truth the custodians of the ND are the creation of the Nigerian state-people whose motive collide in agreement to rob us all of meaningful development irrespective of cardinal location.

Like I have said in the past when we as a people are ready to take back our country we will wake from our slumber, rise above ethnicity and pay the ultimate price for freedom from internal colonisation and create fucntional governance structures which will enable development to thrive, '', in here, ethnicity blinds us to the common good we search; it is prevalent in our write-ups so much so, we fail to see the lift in another's suggestion'' Make we rise.
Re: Niger Delta Under Internal ‘Colonial Rule’ by Beaf: 11:30am On Dec 08, 2010
Vavavoom:

The story of Nigeria unfortunately bears a striking similarity with that of the parable of the good Samaritan in the bible. People who can rise above greed and be sympathetic amongst us are yet to travel the leadership route. Instead we've replaced white colonial masters with internal ones.
It is foolhardy to expect rogue creations from Abuja who fill leadership positions in the ND to be different from their lords. Governance to these lot is like paying royalty from earnings( state allocation) to the center(Abuja). How the indigenes fair is neither their care nor concern. Ibori, Odili, Alams, Obong Attah, Lucky and co were never answerable to the people but Abuja. Each one was engaged in systemic resource mismanagement that enables self aggrandisement with ''extended courtesies'' to Abuja. Chrisbenogor's NNPC analogy is perfect for how things generally work in Nigeria nay ND.
In truth the custodians of the ND are the creation of the Nigerian state-people whose motive collide in agreement to rob us all of meaningful development irrespective of cardinal location.

Like I have said in the past when we as a people are ready to take back our country we will wake from our slumber, rise above ethnicity and pay the ultimate price for freedom from internal colonisation and create fucntional governance structures which will enable development to thrive, '', in here, ethnicity blinds us to the common good we search; it is prevalent in our write-ups so much so, we fail to see the lift in another's suggestion'' Make we rise.

In one word, brilliant!
Re: Niger Delta Under Internal ‘Colonial Rule’ by nduchucks: 12:29pm On Dec 08, 2010
Vavavoom:

, in here, ethnicity blinds us to the common good we search; it is prevalent in our write-ups so much so, we fail to see the lift in another's suggestion'' Make we rise.

@Beef, it is not enough for you to note that Vavavoom's piece is brilliant. Lets hope your brain is not dead enough to miss the bolded part of the post above. Wadooo, make you rise!
Re: Niger Delta Under Internal ‘Colonial Rule’ by okooyinbo(m): 12:37pm On Dec 08, 2010
What's a "subtantial chunk"? 2.4% per state? ((1/36) x 87%)

Why lie?

Parasitic fears have some people concocting fairy tales.

A substantial chunk is a substantial chunk. It is not only the states that get allocation, the LGs also get allocations from the rest 87%. If anyone is telling lies, it is people who are blinded by their greediness. Before oil was discovered, other peoples money was used to build Infastructure in the ND. It is very certain that even if the ND get 1000% of the oil revenue, the situation of the masses will never change over there. The leaders and especially the led need a new orientation. The people have to learn to fight to make the leaders accountable, and not just to have a piece of the cake. Only then will Nigeria move forward.

Nigerians are pretty greedy people and thats why there is corruption everywhere.
Re: Niger Delta Under Internal ‘Colonial Rule’ by PhysicsQED(m): 12:48pm On Dec 08, 2010
texazzpete:

That's why i ask you to do proper research. Those figures are from the split of 'profit oil'.
Now, let's take 100 barrels of oil as an example.
In the Joint Venture situation i mentioned earlier, as soon as the oil comes out, the Federal Government take 80% off as Royalties.

That 80 out of 100 barrels.

Of the remaining 20% (20 barrels), the entire sum is then taxed. Oil Industry taxes are not known for being negligible  grin. Let's assume for this case, that the tax is 25%. So that's 5 barrels gone and 15 barrels remaining. And that's 85% (85 barrels to Nigeria).
Now after the taxes are applied, the investors (IOCs, NOC) are allowed to recover their cost from the remaining. Let's say 2 % (2 barrels goes towards cost recovery).

The last remaining 13 barrels (13%) is known as the PROFIT OIL, and is the amount that is now shared according to the JV stake (i.e NNPC 55%, Shell 30% etc)

So at the end of the day, out of the 100 barrels recovered, around 90% ends up with the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

I don't know why this sounds so implausible to you, this is rather in line with what happens around the world and Nigeria is no exception. The oil business yields so much money that even the 10% left for the IOCs is still rather lucrative.

I don't know why many people have this idea of an almost equal split in oil revenue between the FG and IOCs. The FG gets the bulk of the oil money and the minimum of the blame. That's a win-win situation for them  grin

PS: As stated, the cost recovery and the post royalty tax splits  i used are assumptions for this discussion. Don't take them as canon. The Royalty figure is fixed at 80% though.

Well thanks for explaining it. The oil industry is certainly not my specialty nor is it even remotely interesting to me to be honest, so there's no way I would have the level of interest to where I could know enough to distinguish between these terms. Like I said, now that I see the facts I believe it, but in the future don't interpret any criticism of the status quo as due to a vested interest. I don't have anything to gain from criticizing the IOC's nor am I blaming them for anything more than colluding with the crooked government to not clean up any mess they make until lawsuits are brought against them.  Really it's the federal government I'm trying to degrade here but you came out of nowhere and grouped me into a group of "you people" who "blame the IOC's for everything" when my original statement that I now know to be incorrect was not even about blaming the IOC's for the plight of the people in the Niger Delta but implying that the IOC's are ripping the moronic federal government off and thus could be blamed for their greed and desire to rip off third world countries, not for "everything". Now that I know that that's not the case I can rest easier as it means the federal government might be a little bit less dumb than they seem to be.

texazzpete:

Don't be mischievous. By 'Oil Reforms', anyone remotely interested in Nigeria should know i'm talking about the Petroleum Industry Bill. This Bill is an unstoppable juggernaut at the moment, and it WILL be passed.
The bill formerly had a provision for 10% equity share of the proceeds from oil for the host communities. This has recently been changed (for legal and practical reasons) to a dividend share to the communities depending on the value of the hydrocarbon in their communities.

http://www.nigeriannewsservice.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=1577:fg-jettisons-10-equity-for-oil-communities&Itemid=231&tmpl=component&print=1

Who's being mischievous? That was a legitimate question to which I now know part of the answer. The problem, as far as I can tell is that

1) Who says that they don't deserve more than 10% equity? Why should anyone other than the host communities profit from the resources? I don't see how this oil reform isn't more along the lines of dictating to people that you're helping them by deigning to give them a fraction of what is theirs. This still makes the people in Abuja seem like thieving goons.

2) What do oil reforms that have yet to be passed have to do with events currently occurring? How is it a deterrent to thieves that an agreement that has yet to come into effect, but certainly will come into effect (meaning their bunkering will not even affect whether their people do eventually get money or not) because of militancy, is going to eventually bring money to their communities. To be specific, how does the statement "Under the oil reforms, the communities would get a stake from it. From the oil stolen by bunkerers, the only person to gain from it is the oil thief and his boys." make sense, when it suggests that current bunkerers should stop making profit on oil currently available when it will not even affect (decrease the amount of) what their communities would get out of a future 10%? The future oil reforms are irrelevant to what they're currently doing. Unless the bunkerers destroy so many of the pipes available, which so far hasn't been their MO, there won't even be any significant decrease in the proceeds that would come from their community in the future, and even then it's implausible that the oil corporations and the federal government would let their proceeds in these important and proven oil areas fall to a very low level considering the federal government's immense desire to increase the amount of oil Nigeria produces. What they do currently might affect the 2 or 3 percent that their state currently gets, but since that 2 or 3 percent is a rip-off and is unlikely to ever trickle down to the average person, I don't see how supposedly depriving their communities of some of that amount that they currently get would even be a reasonable deterrent against current direct profit on the part of individuals.

3) It seems quite clear that if not for pressure from militants, there would not even have been any efforts to give anything to the host communities. The link you posted even explicitly claims that the 10% equity is coming out as a consequence of efforts to cripple the oil industry by the militants. So it would seem by presenting the 10% equity as some sort of great concession, you admit that militancy, although not bunkering, is effective and the correct course of action. So you implicitly agree with the validity as a course of action of the first option (taking up arms) that I mentioned in my first post in this thread. At least there is some common ground.

Yeah, go ahead and deliberately misconstrue my statements. That make you feel smarter?

I misconstrued nothing. You must have mistyped. You clearly said "state." If you mean region clearly state so. There's a world of difference between 13% and 1% or 2%. And for the record, this isn't about trying to seem smarter. There's no way to know from across the internet whether you even know how to put on a pair of trousers or whether some sort of more intelligent caretaker has to do it for you. I've never even read anything you've posted on this board that would indicate that you were particularly intelligent, so feeling smarter than you would mean nothing. By the way,  the real issue is whether the 13% cut is actually appropriate, so saying they "would at least get their 13% cut" is pointless because it sidesteps the actual issue of why the region is getting only 13% and even implies they should settle for their allotment. If they're being ripped off already, why should they sit tight and play the honest fool and let dishonest people in some far away desert capital embezzle their money and let their unelected, unaccountable local PDP elites misuse that part of 13% when they can make some money directly themselves?

1964   50  
1970 45
1975 20
1979 nil
1982-89 1.5
1999- 13

^^^
13% is a recent creation. As oil became a more significant part of the Nigerian economy, the percentage of revenue allocated to be split directly among states decreased:

Federalism, Fiscal Centralism and the Realities of Democratisation in Nigeria: The Case of the Niger Delta by Edlyne E. Anugwom

Overview of the History of Revenue Allocation in Nigeria
The derivation principle was first mooted by the Phillipson Commission of 1946 that saw it as the principle through which a region would benefit from its non-declared revenue according to the proportion of its contribution to the central revenue (Adebayo, 1988).  Despite the fact that this principle was equally challenged early enough by the Northern delegates to the General Conference on the review of the Richards Constitution at Ibadan in 1950, it was retained. Between 1954 and 1957, the derivation principle became the chief allocation principle mainly as a result of the dominance of Nigeria�s export market by primary products from the three major ethnic groups especially the cocoa rich Western region. Also in 1957, a new revenue commission, the Raisman and Tress Commission argued for a reduction of the fiscal gap or imbalance between the Western and other regions. Thus, the committee narrowed the scope of the application of derivation by setting up the Distributive Pool Account (DPA) for other taxes not declared regional or federal. These were made up of mining royalties (30%) and general import revenue (30%) that are to be allocated to the regional governments.

The Raisman and Tress Commission recommendations formed the basis of revenue allocation in Nigeria until the late 1960s. The effort of the next Dina Commission that recommended a federal control of the larger part of revenues was brought to nought by the non-implementation of its recommendations. This effectively created a lacuna that enabled the military government to centralise revenue allocation. This attempt was given legal backing through Decrees 15 of 1967; 13 of 1970 and 6 of 1975 all of which established a fiscal policy centralised at the federal level. These Decrees were hinged on a progressive enlargement of the DPA and the reduction of derivation. This really marked the advent of acute fiscal centralism that reached its climax during the authoritarian Babangida/Abacha government between 1983 and 1997.

The history of revenue allocation in Nigeria especially in connection with the derivation principle and the Niger Delta problem has been quite intriguing. Prior to the emergence of oil as a serious foreign exchange earner, the revenue allocation principle was mainly on the basis of derivation as already stated. Even though oil export began in Nigeria in 1958 it was not until 1980 that the share of oil revenue in the national income rose to 80% (see, Ikein and Briggs-Anigboh, 1998) from about 27% in 1970. Thus oil became prominent in Nigeria�s revenue from 1980 and has been on the increase since then, constituting over 90% of national revenue nowadays. However, while the revenue from oil was increasing the percentage of revenue allocated through derivation to the states on whose soil the oil was being produced kept decreasing.

At the onset, the oil communities enjoyed the 50% derivation that was also in operation during the heyday of primary products exports. But this 50% was at a time the oil only contributed about 3% of national revenue (that was before 1971). This 50% was reduced by the DPA Decree No.13 of 1970 to 45%. The DPA is usually distributed by the federal government to the states or regions using mainly the criteria of size and population. The DPA was further increased by Decree No. 6 of 1975 to 80% thereby leaving the states with oil with only 20% of the revenue.

The 1979 Constitution that conferred on the federal government with rights over both onshore and offshore minerals enabled the drastic slashing of the derivation allocation to a paltry 5% by the Shehu Shagari government. This was further reduced to 3% by the military government of Ibrahim Babangida. The total picture which emerges from the above is that the powers that be allowed the derivation principle a larger scope only when the revenue from oil was not massive (1965 � 1970) but the moment oil jumped far ahead of all other export commodities in revenue yield especially from 1980, the derivation share plummeted through the issuance of Decrees and other arbitrary laws especially by the military that held sway for most of the period.

Your statement makes it seem as if part of 13% is what they should content themselves with, when its actually an encroachment on the normal amount at their expense and for the benefit of people who, historically, wouldn't even allow them to have any say in the political affairs of their own country. 13% is a complete scam. If all regions were equally significant to Nigeria's economy we wouldn't see this scam continue to be perpetuated while people suggest the people being cheated should settle for part of 13%.

You may have the mental image of hundreds or thousands of youths boring into pipelines and siphoning away crude to support themselves and their families and to improve their region. That's naive. As will all organized criminal syndicates, the bulk of the money goes to the overlord, while the guys doing the menial work get a pittance. Either way, these criminals can be found in nightclubs frittering away their stolen cash, while their bosses funnel their money outside Nigeria.
As i said before, a 'Robin Hood' scenario would have been welcome. But that's hardly the Nigerian way, is it?  grin

Please don't construct mental images for me that I don't have. I never said anything about "thousands of youths supporting their families." I said survive or thrive. The former for the category of people too poor and desperate to resort to anything but criminality to survive and the latter for the category of people who are massive profiteers off a situation and living lavishly (wasting money in nightclubs or taking the lion's share of loot in criminal syndicates). You don't seem to be getting this. It's not about whether they manage to become Robin Hood characters to  me. How sympathetic they make themselves look by actions committed after the bunkering is mostly irrelevant to whether they are basically justified in taking the initial action of bunkering. I feel that they would be would justified in committing the initial crime regardless.  I'm also not concerned with whether the structure of the organizations is pyramidal or what they spend the money on or whether it's spent in countries outside Nigeria. The scenario is as simple as this as far as I can tell:

1. Are those criminals working for those syndicates from the affected communities in many cases? Yes.
2. Would the money generated from the oil ever trickle down to them naturally to allow them to enjoy a nightclub? No. Why? Their local and national leaders are in bed with the same federal government that is building a national refinery in Kaduna or a federal road to Lagos with this same money. Basically there is not even one government in the land that can be shown to give a damn about them.
3. So why should they sit around and get a minute amount of the profit from oil while people who actually run their country and let them have no significant say in anything are directly conspiring to rip them off? Because it makes them good (that is, complacent and unquestioning) citizens to do so?
4. The people they're robbing don't give a damn about them.

All in all, I don't support or condone crime but I just cannot see a strong argument against bunkering. By doing it one takes money that people are deliberately conspiring to take at one's expense directly into one's hands,  decreases the money of those of your countrymen profiting at your expense, has no significant effect on the amount of revenue going to improve your community as the amount currently being dispensed already is a rip-off which a local government answerable only to a Northern political party is not even able to improve your community with and because under the current arrangement the federal government can never afford to stop taking massive amounts of oil from your area so the amount of oil proceeds originating from your area, and thus the rip-off allocation in either percentage or monetary amount for your state, can never decrease. As you decrease the proceeds by bunkering, more and more oil is obtained by a desperate government trying constantly increase the amount of barrels of oil it produces so the money your community gets only stays the same or increases.
Re: Niger Delta Under Internal ‘Colonial Rule’ by PhysicsQED(m): 1:06pm On Dec 08, 2010
okooyinbo:

A substantial chunk is a substantial chunk. It is not only the states that get allocation, the LGs also get allocations from the rest 87%.

Yes, but not any more than other states, so how are they getting a "substantial chunk"? They're actually getting a "regular chunk"! grin

In fact, Kano state has 44 LG's when it doesn't have the population to merit such. It would actually be fair to say that Kano is getting a substantial chunk, but certainly not an ND state.

If anyone is telling lies, it is people who are blinded by their greediness.

Indeed. But how do we define greediness? Unwillingness to be ripped off or willingness to rip others off?

Before oil was discovered, other peoples money was used to build Infastructure in the ND.

When and where? Where was this infrastructure built with other people's money? What is this infrastructure that you are referring to?

Are you talking about Cocoa? What specific infrastructure did Western region Cocoa build in the ND? Western region cocoa couldn't even build infrastructure in the non-Yoruba parts of the Western region. Or groundnut? If so I should remind you that palm oil was in the ND and the economically deficient North had to be rescued from financial ruin by the colonials by amalgamating them with these palm oil producing areas earlier so should people now claim that ND money was used to build Northern people's infrastructure without mentioning actual specific infrastructure?

It is very certain that even if the ND get 1000% of the oil revenue, the situation of the masses will never change over there. The leaders and especially the led need a new orientation.

All of the Nigerian leaders in all parts of the country are below par and need a new orientation.

The people have to learn to fight to make the leaders accountable,

Are national leaders not accountable or allowed to be fought for the 13% scam that they're perpetrating?

and not just to have a piece of the cake.

So you admit that there's a cake grin. Now that's established we have to ask ourselves, why do other people want any part of the cake for free, when the ingredients are not sourced from their kitchen. That sounds like pastry theft. grin

Only then will Nigeria move forward.

Admittedly the leadership in that region has been lacking in quality. That seems more like a national thing than anything though.
Re: Niger Delta Under Internal ‘Colonial Rule’ by Chrisbenogor(m): 1:21pm On Dec 08, 2010
@PhysicsQED
The question still remains why fight for a bigger chunk when the little chunk has been misused? What good would whatever percentage do if it would go into private pockets?
Re: Niger Delta Under Internal ‘Colonial Rule’ by Beaf: 1:27pm On Dec 08, 2010
okooyinbo:

A substantial chunk is a substantial chunk. It is not only the states that get allocation, the LGs also get allocations from the rest 87%. If anyone is telling lies, it is people who are blinded by their greediness. Before oil was discovered, other peoples money was used to build Infastructure in the ND. It is very certain that even if the ND get 1000% of the oil revenue, the situation of the masses will never change over there. The leaders and especially the led need a new orientation. The people have to learn to fight to make the leaders accountable, and not just to have a piece of the cake. Only then will Nigeria move forward.

Nigerians are pretty greedy people and thats why there is corruption everywhere.

Badly told lies. cool

Before oil was discovered, the ND was exporting palm oil and rubber. In fact, the formation of the country called Nigeria is 100% due to the palm oil trade.
The Royal Niger company traded almost solely in palm oil and slaves. The bastar'd, Lugard was a representative of the Royal Niger company and the Royal Niger company is what later became Nigeria.

The Niger Delta has always built other parts of Nigeria, never the other way.

The Royal Niger Company was a mercantile company chartered by the British government in the nineteenth century. It formed a basis of the modern state of Nigeria.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Niger_Company

But although palm-oil and palm kernels accounted for 80 to 90 per cent of total value of Nigerian exports in 1900, with the expansion of new exports of groundnuts, cocoa and tin they declined to only 47 per cent of exports in 1929.

-Pages 454 - 455, Colonialism in Africa, 1870-1960 By Lewis H. Gann, Peter Duignan

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=-e88AAAAIAAJ&pg=PA456&lpg=PA456&dq=Royal+Niger+company+palm&source=bl&ots=NXvB8HwxjB&sig=oO3z7mMd9xHLh-eIqu_3M1y1nSQ&hl=en&ei=nHb_TPXEDcuyhAfTrOGmCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=8&ved=0CEEQ6AEwBw#v=onepage&q=Royal%20Niger%20company%20palm&f=false

History repeating?
Re: Niger Delta Under Internal ‘Colonial Rule’ by Busybody2(f): 1:47pm On Dec 08, 2010
Hmmm, the internal "colonial rule" has suddenly become an issue only just because the money is now being diverted to China and India undecided Awwww, God bless that former US Ambassador's bleeding heart, I feel his pain, I do, indeed, psssffft undecided lipsrsealed
Re: Niger Delta Under Internal ‘Colonial Rule’ by olaolabiy: 1:52pm On Dec 08, 2010
Busy_body:

Hmmm, the internal "colonial rule" has suddenly become an issue only just because the money is now being diverted to China and India undecided Awwww, God bless that former US Ambassador's bleeding heart, I feel his pain, I do, indeed, psssffft undecided lipsrsealed

Dayo. So, you understand international politics welu welu.

This is incredible. You are right.
He was in Nigeria but he didn't say anything. Effing hypo
Re: Niger Delta Under Internal ‘Colonial Rule’ by okooyinbo(m): 2:13pm On Dec 08, 2010
Yes, but not any more than other states, so how are they getting a "substantial chunk"? They're actually getting a "regular chunk"! Grin

In fact, Kano state has 44 LG's when it doesn't have the population to merit such. It would actually be fair to say that Kano is getting a substantial chunk, but certainly not an ND state.

If you can subsist on the allocation you get, then it is substantial. Admittedly, some states are getting more than they deserve, but hey it is not the fault of the politicians. The Army is to blame for that situation.

Anyway, I beg to differ on the population of Kano state. Up till now, there has not been any concrete evidence put forward that suggest Kano state indeed does not have such a high population. Mind you, it does not mean it deserves those large number of LGs though. And now back to substinence: Since the allocation to Rivers state still dwarfs that of Kano, my arguement still remains that they (ND) get a substantial share of the resources.

Indeed. But how do we define greediness? Unwillingness to be ripped off or willingness to rip others off?

Greediness according to one dictionary could be understood as: "Excessively desirous of acquiring or possessing, especially wishing to possess more than what one needs or deserves."  Hope this answers your question adequately? There is no society / country where only one part get all resources. Not even during the terrible dictator times of Abacha. 100% resource allocation is a fanciful dream that will never materialize. Others have to eat too you know?

When and where? Where was this infrastructure built with other people's money? What is this infrastructure that you are referring to?

Are you talking about Cocoa? What specific infrastructure did Western region Cocoa build in the ND? Western region cocoa couldn't even build infrastructure in the non-Yoruba parts of the Western region. Or Ground nuts? If so I should remind you that palm oil was in the ND and the economically deficient North had to be rescued from financial ruin by the colonials by amalgamating them with these palm oil producing areas earlier so should people now claim that ND money was used to build Northern people's infrastructure without mentioning actual specific infrastructure

For instance, the port of Portharcourt was not built with crude oil money. The rail network to the port was not built with oil money. There abound numerous other examples, but I would not want to delve into that. Well, the cocoa and rubber plantations of the old western region did built some infrastructures not only in the West, but also somewhere else. And mind you, Portharcourt got it port not because of the Enugu coal but also due to the cotton and groundnut, as well as the Tin and columbite from the North. Yeah, you had palm oil, but the bulk of Palm oil production was actually in the old Midwest, the old Cross River State, and Igboland not the Niger Delta (Rivers, Bayelsa states). The Oil palm does not thrive in a swampy enviroment. I am also a swamp dweller, I should know.

All of the Nigerian leaders in all parts of the country are below par and need a new orientation.

The people needs it more than the leaders. They are more than below par. If the society were not as bad, we would not have been producing bad leaders incessantly. I guess nobody wants to die, but we all wanna go to heaven. Anyway, if we are sure there is a heaven, maybe we would all gladly die sha*IRONY*. Back to topic! The people MUST first remove the log in their own eyes before they point to the dust in their leaders eyes. New orientation for all.

Are national leaders not accountable or allowed to be fought for the 13% scam that they're perpetrating?

Atleast somebody managed to push 13 percent through, he should be commended. We remember that there used to be someone who eliminated genuine freedom fighters on trumped up charges in a kangaroo tribunal. It helps sometimes to aknowledge a right deed no matter how little it is. It motivates to do more.

So you admit that there's a cake Grin. Now that's established we have to ask ourselves, why do other people want any part of the cake for free, when the ingredients are not sourced from their kitchen. That sounds like pastry theft. Grin

My brother, I am only talking about the imaginary cake we so often hear about. I have never in my life smelled not to mention eating any cake baked by the federal government of Nigeria. And I am already several decades old. Now, do you mind telling us who the imaginary pastry thief is? grin

Admittedly the leadership in that region has been lacking in quality. That seems more like a national thing than anything though.

Now, you are talking real sense!

Somebody was asked to do a job anybody could have done. So somebody thought anybody would do it. At the end, Nobody did what somebody could have done. That is Nigeria for you. Everybody is to blame, not just somebody.
Re: Niger Delta Under Internal ‘Colonial Rule’ by Beaf: 2:28pm On Dec 08, 2010
okooyinbo:

. . .
For instance, the port of Portharcourt was not built with crude oil money. The rail network to the port was not built with oil money. There abound numerous other examples, but I would not want to delve into that. Well, the cocoa and rubber plantations of the old western region did built some infrastructures not only in the West, but also somewhere else. And mind you, Portharcourt got it port not because of the Enugu coal but also due to the cotton and groundnut, as well as the Tin and columbite from the North. Yeah, you had palm oil, but the bulk of Palm oil production was actually in the old Midwest, the old Cross River State, and Igboland not the Niger Delta (Rivers, Bayelsa states). The Oil palm does not thrive in a swampy enviroment. I am also a swamp dweller, I should know.
. . .

So you describe the Niger Delta as Rivers and Bayelsa only?! shocked You must have failed geography.
The geographical Niger Delta consists of Rivers, Bayelsa and Delta (take a hint from the name).

As for the heart of the palm oil trade, dude look no further than Brass in Bayelsa. For your arguments that most of the palm oil and rubber came from the Midwest, please just open a history book. Oil Palm was grown right across the SE and SS and in any event Delta state is in the ND and used to be in the Midwest (same goes for Edo).

There is no point going on with your guesswork, cos for any guess you make, we can provide solid counter facts. Money from outside the ND has never built anything in the ND, rather that whole area has been Nigeria's breadbasket from time immemorial.

Photo from Bayelsa Oil Palm Ltd (a 160 km2 Oil Palm plantation):
Re: Niger Delta Under Internal ‘Colonial Rule’ by okooyinbo(m): 2:52pm On Dec 08, 2010
Badly told lies. Cool

Before oil was discovered, the ND was exporting palm oil and rubber. In fact, the formation of the country called Nigeria is 100% due to the palm oil trade.
The Royal Niger company traded almost solely in palm oil and slaves. The bastar'd, Lugard was a representative of the Royal Niger company and the Royal Niger company is what later became Nigeria.

The Niger Delta has always built other parts of Nigeria, never the other way.

What are you beafing about? So the money from the columbite and tin mine, from groundnut, from cotton, from cocoa, from oil palm, from rubber were not part of the money used to develop the ND? The Royal Niger company aka UAC did not trade solely on palm oil and slaves. If it were so, they would not have moved their headquarters to Lokoja. BTW, when did the Royal Niger Company started trading in human, and when was it outlawed by the British parliament? What was the volume of this trade? Where did they take the human cargos to?

Besides, who told you the money from slavery was used to develop anywhere? The only profiteur of the slave trade are the Queen/King of England, her/his merchants and the individual tradtional rulers and the African middle men / women. The money gained from the (in)human trafficking was to a very large percentage amassed by the Europeans. Go read your history very well. Your fellow human beings were bought / sold for peanuts in Afrika and sold more profitably in the new world.

Actually, I do not know why I am discussing slave trade with you. You should really be ashamed of yourself to be claiming that you developed your land on the blood of a multitude of your enslaved brethren, however untrue it is. It's such a shame.

Summary: Niger Delta has also enjoyed the benefactions of the other regions more than you can think of.
Re: Niger Delta Under Internal ‘Colonial Rule’ by okooyinbo(m): 3:18pm On Dec 08, 2010
So you describe the Niger Delta as Rivers and Bayelsa only?! Shocked You must have failed geography.
The geographical Niger Delta consists of Rivers, Bayelsa and Delta (take a hint from the name).

As for the heart of the palm oil trade, dude look no further than Brass in Bayelsa. For your arguments that most of the palm oil and rubber came from the Midwest, please just open a history book. Oil Palm was grown right across the SE and SS and in any event Delta state is in the ND and used to be in the Midwest (same goes for Edo).

There is no point going on with your guesswork, cos for any guess you make, we can provide solid counter facts. Money from outside the ND has never built anything in the ND, rather that whole area has been Nigeria's breadbasket from time immemorial.

I did not do that. If I did, I will definitely state it more clearer. The term Niger Delta is a relatively new one in the Nigerian discuss. I just replied to what somebody said about palm oil originating from the Niger delta. Our discussion was based on the pre oil era. The Niger delta in strict geographical sense is comprised of Bayelsa, delta and Rivers state. Economically, its catchment area does include many more states. My friend, I am sure I will beat you hands down in the Geography not only of Nigeria, but also of the world. Take my words for it. An A1 in WAEC in Geography should convince you, even if the world has evolved a lot since I sat for my WAEC joint School Leaving certificate / GCE.

I said the bulk of the palm oil production originates not from ND (specifically Rivers, Bayelsa). I did not say only these states makes up the Niger delta. For your information Delta and Edo States were long part of the West.

I maintain therefore that the Niger delta has also benefited from the other parts of Nigeria. It is not just a one way thing.

And btw, what facts are you shouting about? Whats fact have you provided?
Re: Niger Delta Under Internal ‘Colonial Rule’ by PhysicsQED(m): 3:21pm On Dec 08, 2010
okooyinbo:

If you can subsist on the allocation you get, then it is substantial.

Lol, I think you know this sentence wasn't  particularly clear when you typed it. Subsistence does not imply "substantial". If anything it's the opposite. If you can only subsist, then what you have or are being given is not substantial.

Admittedly, some states are getting more than they deserve, but hey it is not the fault of the politicians. The Army is to blame for that situation.

Please clarify. Are the civilian politicians incapable of changing the structure of the state?

Anyway, I beg to differ on the population of Kano state. Up till now, there has not been any concrete evidence put forward that suggest Kano state indeed does not have such a high population.

Perhaps. As far as I can tell, they determine the population of Kano state by just asserting that it's slightly more populous than Lagos state by adjusting the numbers whenever the population of Lagos state is counted. Since they (the Nigerian government) acknowledge that the city of Kano itself is not half the size of the city of Lagos, their whole claim is based on asserting that every single other area of Kano state is very highly populated. Once again, not impossible, but the very fact that they're trying to portray the place as bigger than Lagos in population is what makes me think the figures are cooked. If they had settled for second or third best, I might not even be doubting that they do indeed have one of the most highly populated states.

But I don't think a credible census has ever been performed in Nigeria, including the very first one which gave the Northerners the supposedly higher population that no doubt influenced later censuses.

Mind you, it does not mean it deserves those large number of LGs though. And now back to substinence: Since the allocation to Rivers state still dwarfs that of Kano, my arguement still remains that they (ND) get a substantial share of the resources.

Rivers state gets an allocation from the 87% that "dwarfs" what Kano gets? Or are you including what they get from the 13% as well here for Rivers? What they get from the 13% is even less than what is due to them if it is from their oil.

Greediness according to one dictionary could be understood as: "Excessively desirous of acquiring or possessing, especially wishing to possess more than what one needs or deserves."  Hope this answers your question adequately?

Who determines what another group of people need or deserve? You or me? How about the group themselves determining what they need or deserve. My question is not answered because I don't see how the Western region was allowed to use cocoa profits mostly on themselves and the Northern region allowed to use groundnut mostly on themselves. Using the logic now being applied to the ND, who said that the West and North should have been allowed to spend the profits from their resources primarily on themselves? Who said they needed to or that they deserved those profits? The Western region was even noted as being ahead of the other regions financially in an article I quoted above. Aren't they therefore extremely greedy for ever building up more regional wealth than they "needed" to subsist? Instead they were building all sorts of stuff they didn't need, setting up TV in West Africa, etc. who says they need or deserved TV?

What if I feel that if somebody in the Middle Belt or Eastern region can't yet have fancy new-fangled television then the Western region shouldn't have TV and that to spend their excess money setting up a TV station they are being greedy and hoarding wealth obtained from resources from their region only for their development? What if I demand in the 50s/60s that the Western region cease and desist from all expenditures aimed at obtaining television on these grounds? You see how ridiculous I would be to make such a request yet you and some others are making essentially the same claim with regard to the ND.

There is no society / country where only one part get all resources. Not even during the terrible dictator times of Abacha. 100% resource allocation is a fanciful dream that will never materialize.

Who says giving them all the profits from their oil amounts to giving them profits from all the resources? That's a stretch. There are other resources. Limestone is only found in certain parts of the country and if limestone was more valuable than oil I wouldn't start claiming that part with limestone must carry the whole country on its back.

50% was what they were originally calling for. Not 100%. So they seem to be aware of this. However there is not actually any practical reason why it could not be 100% for every state, except that there is currently a parasitic scam mentality going on.

Others have to eat too you know?

They can use either their own immediate resources, or their own hard work to feed themselves. Beaf made a thread in this forum "Your state is rich!" which clarified that every state had mineral resources. (https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-342885.0.html) If "Others" are not willing to invest in developing exports or productive uses of those resources, why should those who have an easier and more valuable mineral to work with have to eat less than they might be able to?

For instance, the port of Portharcourt was not built with crude oil money. The rail network to the port was not built with oil money.

Of course they were not built with revenue from oil money.

There abound numerous other examples, but I would not want to delve into that. Well, the cocoa and rubber plantations of the old western region did built some infrastructures not only in the West, but also somewhere else.

Where else? The West was stingy with using its resources to build even within the West, but what I should note is that the DPA was only implemented in taking away part of their regional money (not cocoa money, anyways) and leaving it to federal use but not necessarily regional infrastructural use as you are claiming with no proof. Please state the infrastructure that was built in the ND with non-ND money.

And mind you, Portharcourt got it port not because of the Enugu coal but also due to the cotton and groundnut, as well as the Tin and columbite from the North.

Could you substantiate this claim about groundnut and columbite building Port Harcourt?

Yeah, you had palm oil, but the bulk of Palm oil production was actually in the old Midwest, the old Cross River State, and Igboland not the Niger Delta (Rivers, Bayelsa states). The Oil palm does not thrive in a swampy enviroment. I am also a swamp dweller, I should know.

So Delta state is not ND because it was in the Midwest? This makes no sense to me.

The people needs it more than the leaders. They are more than below par. If the society were not as bad, we would not have been producing bad leaders incessantly. I guess nobody wants to die, but we all wanna go to heaven. Anyway, if we are sure there is a heaven, maybe we would all gladly die sha*IRONY*. Back to topic! The people MUST first remove the log in their own eyes before they point to the dust in their leaders eyes. New orientation for all.

Perhaps, but it's not clear to me that generally good people must produce good leaders if the atmosphere of corruption and cover-ups is allowed to reign over the whole country or that corrupt, evil people-if whole groups of people actually exist that could be blatantly labeled evil and corrupt- will necessarily produce bad leaders in a good society with an atmosphere of transparency over the nation and with upright political parties with actual ideals.

Atleast somebody managed to push 13 percent through, he should be commended. We remember that there used to be someone who eliminated genuine freedom fighters on trumped up charges in a kangaroo tribunal. It helps sometimes to aknowledge a right deed no matter how little it is. It motivates to do more.

It isn't a "right deed" though. It's a scam. It should be 50%, as it was in the 1950's. The people who "pushed 13 percent through" are actually ND leaders who were calling for much more than 13%  but met with stiff opposition from parasitic quarters and had to settle for a tiny increase instead. What is there to be acknowledged about a group of people deigning to give one a small fraction of what rightfully belongs to one and thinking they (that group) are being so generous while doing so?
Re: Niger Delta Under Internal ‘Colonial Rule’ by Busybody2(f): 4:01pm On Dec 08, 2010
ola olabiy:

Dayo. So, you understand international politics welu welu.

This is incredible. You are right.
He was in Nigeria but he didn't say anything. Effing hypo

My most favourite English Lecturer Sir, you have Ileke-idi and co to blame for this recent development oh, I say I nor wan use my freshly discovered brain and I know wan know book, but they keep forcing me to rub shoulders and mind with them as if na by force angry I prefer knocking boots jare embarassed Can you help me punish them Sir, I can back them whilst you flog them for me cheesy

[s]Chei, for the first time in my life, see me consulting the Theusarus and using Nairaland's spellcheck facilities and previewing my posts a million times before posting embarassed Oh na who come talk say make i mistakenly get lost and wander into the Education section come jam Professor Ola Olabiyi now, ehn, gosh angry angry grin [/s]
Re: Niger Delta Under Internal ‘Colonial Rule’ by texazzpete(m): 4:15pm On Dec 08, 2010
@PhysicsQED
Let's agree to disagree amicably.
I'll post a reply later to some of your opinions that i strongly disagree with, but i will keep it civil and polite. Have a nice day grin
Re: Niger Delta Under Internal ‘Colonial Rule’ by Beaf: 4:20pm On Dec 08, 2010
okooyinbo:

I did not do that. If I did, I will definitely state it more clearer. The term Niger Delta is a relatively new one in the Nigerian discuss. I just replied to what somebody said about palm oil originating from the Niger delta. Our discussion was based on the pre oil era. The Niger delta in strict geographical sense is comprised of Bayelsa, delta and Rivers state. Economically, its catchment area does include many more states. My friend, I am sure I will beat you hands down in the Geography not only of Nigeria, but also of the world. Take my words for it. An A1 in WAEC in Geography should convince you, even if the world has evolved a lot since I sat for my WAEC joint School Leaving certificate / GCE.

I said the bulk of the palm oil production originates not from ND (specifically Rivers, Bayelsa). I did not say only these states makes up the Niger delta. For your information Delta and Edo States were long part of the West.

I maintain therefore that the Niger delta has also benefited from the other parts of Nigeria. It is not just a one way thing.

And btw, what facts are you shouting about? Whats fact have you provided?

Dude, the more you speak the more ignorant you come across. I have shown you with unimpeachable figures that money from outside the ND has never been used to build anything in the ND. Indeed, palm oil accounted for 90% of Nigeria's exports at one time (deja vu); in return, all your arguments have turned out to be mere gossip and guesswork. Rubbish.

Please, don't ever make the claim that Edo and Delta are part of the West, we fought a hard battle to free ourselves from that marriage; that battle for freedom gave us the Midwest.

The last time someone foolishly said that the Niger Delta is new terminology, I provided references to the phrase from the 19th century (bear in mind we are in the 21st century). Cure your ignorance with this:

whether, as a result of the visit paid by the chairman of the Royal Niger Company to the Niger Delta. . .

-Page 338, Great Britain. Parliament, William Cobbett, Thomas Curson Hansard - 1819

I recall your madcap statement about how Oil Palm cannot do well in the Niger Delta. . . That was until I pointed out to you that the most important Oil Palm city in Nigeria was Brass in Bayelsa, then (as usual), I backed up my words by pointing out an existing 160 square kilometer oil palm plantation in Bayelsa. . . And of course, you are now singing a strange song about WAEC! Who cares?! grin

Dude, never talk trash about things you don't know. Someone might just thoroughly sink your boat. Ok, whats the next thing you heard from Iya Basira's akara shop about the ND? Its lecture time! grin
Re: Niger Delta Under Internal ‘Colonial Rule’ by olaolabiy: 4:47pm On Dec 08, 2010
Busy_body:

My most favourite English Lecturer Sir, you have Ileke-idi and co to blame for this recent development oh, I say I nor wan use my freshly discovered brain and I know wan know book, but they keep forcing me to rub shoulders and mind with them as if na by force angry I prefer knocking boots jare embarassed Can you help me punish them Sir, I can back them whilst you flog them for me cheesy

[s]Chei, for the first time in my life, see me consulting the Theusarus and using Nairaland's spellcheck facilities and previewing my posts a million times before posting embarassed Oh na who come talk say make i mistakenly get lost and wander into the Education section come jam Professor Ola Olabiyi now, ehn, gosh angry angry grin [/s]

Luv ya. You are brill. Keep it up, big D.
We have to hook up sn oooo.
Re: Niger Delta Under Internal ‘Colonial Rule’ by okooyinbo(m): 5:39pm On Dec 08, 2010
Lol, I think you know this sentence wasn't  particularly clear when you typed it. Subsistence does imply "substantial". If anything it's the opposite. If you can only subsist, then what you have or are being given is not substantial.

I know, but I wont clarify why I used that word.

, Are the civilian politicians incapable of changing the structure of the state?

Indeed they not able because they are not capable of it. No civilian govt has ever done that before in Nigeria. State / Region creation has always been a reserve of the colonial rulers and the Armies. There is no unison among the politicians about state creation because of the sharing formula might become more "imbalance".

Perhaps. As far as I can tell, they determine the population of Kano state by just asserting that it's slightly more populous than Lagos state by adjusting the numbers whenever the population of Lagos state is counted. Since they (the Nigerian government) acknowledge that the city of Kano itself is not half the size of the city of Lagos, their whole claim is based on asserting that every single other area of Kano state is verys highly populated. Once again, not impossible, but the very fact that they're trying to portray the place as bigger than Lagos in population is what makes me thing the figures are cooked. If they had settled for second or third best, I might not even be doubting that they do indeed have one of the most highly populated states.

But I don't think a credible census has ever been performed in Nigeria, including the very first one which gave the Northerners the supposedly higher population that no doubt influenced later censuses.

I believe Kano state has got a high population, but I have my doubt as well as to the real population figure of that state. However, there is absolutely no doubt about it having a high population. The population figures of Jigawa, Kebbi, Bauchi, Katsina, Sokoto, Zamfara and Kaduna states do put questions on my mind more than that of Kano.

Rivers state gets an allocation from the 87% that "dwarfs" what Kano gets? Or are you including what they get from the 13% as well here for Rivers? What they get from the 13% is even less than what is due to them if it is from their oil.

I am ofcourse including all allocations put together. And it really dwarfs that of Kano State.

Who determines what another group of people need or deserve? You or me? How about the group themselves determining what they need or deserve.

Well, the words and acts of the people determines them being termed as greedy.

My question is not answered because I don't see how the Western region was allowed to use cocoa profits mostly on themselves and the Northern region allowed to use groundnut mostly on themselves. Using the logic now being applied to the ND, who said that the West and North should have been allowed to spend the profits from their resources primarily on themselves? Who said they needed to or that they deserved those profits? The Western region was even noted as being ahead of the other regions financially in an article I quoted above. Aren't they therefore extremely greedy for ever building up more regional wealth than they "needed" to subsist? Instead they were building all sorts of stuff they didn't need, setting up TV in West Africa, etc. who says they need or deserved TV?

I would not say they are greedy for doing that actually. I would praise them for using the little they had to archieve such a tremendous feat. The ND could learn one or two things from that. They should use what they are getting now to do tangible things. Maybe if people see it, they would be more convinced that they would do even greater things if they controlled more of their resources.

And btw, as noted by you, money was also taken from the West and the North by the federal government. And these regions never shouted 100% resource control as some are demanding. When the FGN was depleting the solid minerals of the other regions, why was nobody shouting 100% resource control back then?

What if I feel that if somebody in the Middle Belt or Eastern region can't yet have fancy new-fangled television then the Western region shouldn't have TV and that to spend their excess money setting up a TV station they are being greedy and hoarding wealth obtained from resources from their region only for their development? What if I demand in the 50s/60s that the Western region cease and desist from all expenditures aimed at obtaining television on these grounds? You see how ridiculous I would be to make such a request yet you and some others are making essentially the same claim with regard to the ND.

As I said above, the Western Region was not greedy building infrastructure. The infrastructures were absolutely needed and thats why the other regions and the federal govt followed the example pace-setted by the West. So, how could you claim that that is greediness? Or did you read somewhere that the money earnmarked for such projects in other regions was misappropriated by the West?

Greediness is not about telling someone to stop doing what he likes either peacifully or coercifully. As such, you have no moral standing to ask the West or someone else for that matter to desist from developing. As far as I understand, nobody is asking the ND to not develop. We are actually encouraging them to do so. You can not just want more and more money without providing a tangible evidence of having diligently used the little you have already gotten.

Who says giving them all the profits from their oil amounts to giving them profits from all the resources? That's a stretch. There are other resources. Limestone is only found in certain parts of the country and if limestone was more valuable than oil I wouldn't start claiming that part with limestone must carry the whole country on its back.

50% was what they were originally calling for. Not 100%. So they seem to be aware of this. However there is not actually any practical reason why it could not be 100% for every state, except that there is currently a parasitic scam mentality going on.

But they are clamouring for 100% resource control as I understood. Well, it could be they have sliced it. Even if any state gets 100% initially, they just gonna give up some to the federal govt and then share with other states. So has it been done, so will it be done. 50% is also far too much, it just wont happen. Bear in mind, my local govt also produces oil. Nay, oil is also being exploited in my local govt.

They can use either their own immediate resources, or their own hard work to feed themselves. Beaf made a thread in this forum "Your state is rich!" which clarified that every state had mineral resources. (https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-342885.0.html) If "Others" are not willing to invest in developing exports or productive uses of those resources, why should those who have an easier and more valuable mineral to work with have to eat less than they might be able to?

Its a lie! You dont mean the ND people with all their fat houses are eating less from the oil "cake"? Ha, friend, the mineral resouces in other places like Cola, Fanta, Dr Pepper are also being consumed. But nothing oils the food better than the OIL. It helps it slip through the Oesophagus with less stress.

Of course they were not built with revenue from oil money.

Yes ofcourse not!

Where else? The West was stingy with using its resources to build even within the West, but what I should note is that the DPA was only implemented in taking away part of their regional money (not cocoa money, anyways) and leaving it to federal use but not necessarily regional infrastructural use as you are claiming with no proof. Please state the infrastructure that was built in the ND with non-ND money.

The West was stingy and provided infrastructure in the Edo and Delta pronvinces. Free Education was also not an exclusive right of the Yorubas only in the old West. Even a lot of the elites from the ND across the Niger also benefited from the "stingyness" of the West to provide free universal education to all. So stingy are the Yoruba people! It is also a very good sign of greediness not to show grattitude for any good deed at all. You are blaming others for displaying the spirit of "na only me", although you yourself are equally guilty.

Could you substantiate this claim about groundnut and columbite building Port Harcourt?

Yes, the railway and the port of Portharcourt was built to ease the easy export of i.e. the minerals of the middle belt. It is in the colonial record. And you should have learnt it too if you went to school in Nigeria some decades back when education was still something in that now corruption ridden land.

So Delta state is not ND because it was in the Midwest? This makes no sense to me.

Politically, it was not in the time we are talking about. The political Niger delta is quite a new phenomenon in the politics of Nigeria. You know that very well, dont be a cynics.

Perhaps, but it's not clear to me that generally good people must produce good leaders if the atmosphere of corruption and cover-ups is allowed to reign over the whole country or that corrupt, evil people-if whole groups of people actually exist that could be blatantly labeled evil and corrupt- will necessarily produce bad leaders in a good society with an atmosphere of transparency over the nation and with upright political parties with actual ideals.

Well, good people can not generally always produce good leaders. You are absolutely right. But then, why do the arguably good people produce bad leaders almost all the time? What even suggest to you that the people of Nigeria are good? They are very religious, yes! They are hardworking, yes. They are resilient, yeah. Are they good people? Maybe! But they are not as innocent as you wanna make the world believe. Infact, a great majority of them are quite as guilty as the leaders they heave blames on.

It isn't a "right deed" though. It's a scam. It should be 50%, as it was in the 1950's. The people who "pushed 13 percent through" are actually ND leaders who were calling for much more than 13%  but met with stiff opposition from parasitic quarters and had to settle for a tiny increase instead. What is there to be acknowledged about a group of people deigning to give one a small fraction of what rightfully belongs to one and thinking they (that group) are being so generous while doing so?

A good deed is a good deed no matter how hard you tried to talk it little. Let the parasites go on ego trip, and they might consider doling out more percentage. Commend them and at the same time let them know there is more to be done. Now, that is politics. Learn to be a parasite yourself.

Thanks
Re: Niger Delta Under Internal ‘Colonial Rule’ by Nobody: 6:08pm On Dec 08, 2010
I just Dey LAUGH, NDs, na now u guys wake up, when Northerners have been using u guys head for a long time, what Yorubas did to Ibos was betrayal , What the so called Political ND( SS) did to Igbos was denial( 5 times for that matter), now u guys are crying wolf. Even with that the SE has been playing Big brother role to help u guys from the hand of the ATIKUS and IBBs,
Re: Niger Delta Under Internal ‘Colonial Rule’ by okooyinbo(m): 6:13pm On Dec 08, 2010
Dude, the more you speak the more ignorant you come across. I have shown you with unimpeachable figures that money from outside the ND has never been used to build anything in the ND. Indeed, palm oil accounted for 90% of Nigeria's exports at one time (deja vu); in return, all your arguments have turned out to be mere gossip and guesswork. Rubbish.

Please, don't ever make the claim that Edo and Delta are part of the West, we fought a hard battle to free ourselves from that marriage; that battle for freedom gave us the Midwest.

The last time someone foolishly said that the Niger Delta is new terminology, I provided references to the phrase from the 19th century (bear in mind we are in the 21st century). Cure your ignorance with this:

Beaf is just beafing for much ado about nothing! Keep beafing! I will definitely beat you hands down on Geography anytime. I stated it and I repeat it. Is it you that claim that money from slave trade helped build ND that I should believe? We are talking about the pre oil era and you are quoting 160 square kilometer oil palm plantation in Bayelsa. The Bulk of the oil palm production was not in the ND my friend.

Who is claiming what? Did I claim anything? If someone does not know anything, it is YOU my Beaf. The pronvinces of Benin and Delta were until 1963 part and parcel of the Western region of Nigeria. BTW, whom did you fight to create the Midwest?

The Niger delta is a relatively new phenomenon in the context of Nigerian politics. It is a fact! Or when did you start following Nigerian politics? Resulting to insults and name calling does not buttress your points, it definitely show your tactlessness. Hence beafing Beaf, if any one is ignorant, it is you buddy. It is you!

And of course, you are now singing a strange song about WAEC! Who cares?! Grin

Dude, never talk trash about things you don't know. Someone might just thoroughly sink your boat. Ok, whats the next thing you heard from Iya Basira's akara shop about the ND? Its lecture time!

Haaa, he is really sinking a boat. The irony of a fool is that he rejoices at sinking a boat whereas he does not realize that the boat he is sinking is his very own boat. It's a shame. I really pity you!!! Pele, sorry, ndo!! I no dey laugh o, I dey pity you welli welli.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Sanusi Marks 51st Independence In Church / STRANGE: Goats Spotted Climbing A Very Tall Palm Tree (Photos + Video) / ‘There’re Existing Laws’ — Akpabio Says NASS Will Not Review Social Media Bill

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 367
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.