Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,799 members, 7,802,561 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:20 PM

Criminalisation Of Public Photography, My Police Encounter? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Criminalisation Of Public Photography, My Police Encounter? (1204 Views)

Dubai Tram: Why Don't We Have This Mode Of Public Transport In Nigeria? (Photos) / Scottish Lady Recounts Her Encounter With A Nigerian Toilet Attendant (photos) / The Fate Of Public Transportation In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Criminalisation Of Public Photography, My Police Encounter? by Vicjustice: 11:27pm On Jan 16, 2020
Standing in a public place, i was taking photographs of a building that i considered interesting when a Mobile Police officer (who was on guard at its gate) obstructed with a claim that filming the building is prohibited by law. I asked the (supposed) law enforcement officer "what law was it that forbids filming the building", his answer was, "Oga, that is the law, you are supposed to know the law without me telling you".

And then i asked the officer, "what are the consequences of filming the building?" and he answered, "Oga, that is the law, everybody who is from Nigeria knows it, it is the law": (At no point did i make mention that i do not live in Nigeria).
While i was weighing in on whether to have further discussion with him or not, two of his colleagues joined in, one officer immediately asserted that "it is against the law" to film the building, while the other officer was just indifferent. And again, i asked the officers, "if it is against the law, how do you enforce it"? But they both kept saying was "it is against the law", "it is an offence".

At a point, i told them, "calm down, gentlemen, i need an answer to this important question: i'll take your word that, it is an offence to film this building from a public street, now, an ignorant person has committed the crime of filming the building, how do you then enforce the law?".
Interestingly, the Mopol men answered that they would normally seize the person's camera-phone and then take the matter from there.

Surprisingly, the Mopol officer who had said nothing, laughingly pointed behind my back (drawing the attentions of his colleagues to some white people who were taking photos of the particular building in question), and seeing the activities behind me, i mockingly told the mopol officers, this must be a very busy place to fight crime all day long. I then walked away.

Now, it can't be more further than the truth to suggest that it is unlawful to record in a public place or that it is unlawful to record people without their permission, there is no law that prohibits filming whatever you can see from a public place: therefore, by right, you can film whatever and whoever you can see in a public place where there is no expectation of privacy.
In Nigeria, there is freedom of the Press, a Press-Man or Woman is not just one who is employed by a Media, anyone who covers a story whether by video or audio recording, or even by scripting means, is engaged in a press work, and should therefore be allowed without hindrance.
I understand that some people might not like being filmed, that is a matter of courtesy, but there is no law against filming in areas where there is no expectation of privacy.
I also recognise the harassment intimidation and revenge that a video or photographer might be subjected to in the hands of some (supposed) law enforcers and military personnel, therefore, i recommend that you equip your device with an app that automatically saves videos so that in the event that the device is illegally destroyed or the videos are unlawfully deleted, you can easily retrieve them online, and such evidential videos can be used to seek legal prosecution and justice.

1 Like

Re: Criminalisation Of Public Photography, My Police Encounter? by Mokason28: 12:04am On Jan 17, 2020
shocked
Re: Criminalisation Of Public Photography, My Police Encounter? by EbukaHades10(m): 12:19am On Jan 17, 2020
Those ones dey find after-xmas money

Re: Criminalisation Of Public Photography, My Police Encounter? by Offpoint: 1:09am On Jan 17, 2020
If I catch you filming my house I'll shoot you dead...
you don't go around filming people properties even in advanced countries... unless it's a tourist center and you're a tourist.

It's not security wise Mr op to go around filming people or properties, so quit the grammar.

It's not everything that needs to be LAW, that's why we have common sense.

op is there any Nigerian law that forbid you from f##king another man's wife? but common sense should tell you... it's wrong.
Re: Criminalisation Of Public Photography, My Police Encounter? by Vicjustice: 7:14am On Jan 17, 2020
Offpoint:
If I catch you filming my house I'll shoot you dead...
you don't go around filming people properties even in advance country...unless it's a tourist center and you're a tourist.

It's not security wise Mr op to go around filming people or properties, so quit the grammar.

It's not everything that needs to be LAW, that's why we have common sense.

op is there any Nigerian law that forbid you from f##king another man's wife? but common sense should tell you... it's wrong.
Are you telling me how it's done in "advanced countries"?
By the way, what makes it "wrong"?
Re: Criminalisation Of Public Photography, My Police Encounter? by Offpoint: 7:38am On Jan 17, 2020
Vicjustice:

Are you telling me how it's done in "advanced countries"?
By the way, what makes it "wrong"?
It's not my duty to lecture on that, that's why I made mention of "Common sense" and "Security wise" in my comment.

just imagine you returned back from work and met some random stranger filming your property in a society where security is nothing to write home about.

Use your head

if you most Film, approach the owner or security guard and let them know your intentions are good.
Re: Criminalisation Of Public Photography, My Police Encounter? by Vicjustice: 7:56am On Jan 17, 2020
Offpoint:

It's not my duty to lecture on that, that's why I made mention of "Common sense" and "Security wise" in my comment.

just imagine you returned back from work and met some random stranger filming your property in a society where security is nothing to write home about.

Use your head

if you most Film, approach the owner or security guard and let them know your intentions are good.
Except there's nothing special about the house, but if your house is spectacular enough to attract interest, then, expect it to be photographed.
Your kind of mindset is problematic because, you want to force people to obey your desire.
By the way,, you can only harrass a person who's obviously filming, but a person with ill intentions will not openly photograph you, he will do it surreptitiously.

1 Like

Re: Criminalisation Of Public Photography, My Police Encounter? by Offpoint: 8:24am On Jan 17, 2020
Vicjustice:

Except there's nothing special about the house, but if your house is spectacular lenough to attract interest, then, expect it to be photographed.
Your kind of mindset is problematic because, you want to force people to obey your desire.
By the way,, you can only harrass a person who's obviously filming, but a person with ill intentions will not openly photograph you, he will do it surreptitiously.
Nothing I avoid in my life more than arguments.

"A person with ill intentions will not openly photograph you, he will do it surreptitiously"
It's obvious the only thing you know is grammar, you know nothing about criminals.

Aso Rock is a "Spectacular" building, go there and film or photograph it without informing the security guards.
Re: Criminalisation Of Public Photography, My Police Encounter? by Skykid1208(m): 9:44am On Jan 17, 2020

Surprisingly, the Mopol officer who had said nothing, laughingly pointed behind my back (drawing the attentions of his colleagues to some white people who were taking photos of the particular building in question), and seeing the activities behind me, i mockingly told the mopol officers, this must be a very busy place to fight crime all day long. I then walked away.

Lolz grin grin grin
Am sure they would seize the phones of those white people

Re: Criminalisation Of Public Photography, My Police Encounter? by dustydee: 10:06am On Jan 17, 2020
Offpoint:

op is there any [b]Nigerian law that forbid you from f##king [/b]another man's wife? but common sense should tell you... it's wrong.
I believe adultery is actually an offence in Nigeria but is rarely enforced. I may be wrong but I am pretty certain it is.
Re: Criminalisation Of Public Photography, My Police Encounter? by Offpoint: 10:10am On Jan 17, 2020
dustydee:

I believe adultery is actually an offence in Nigeria but is rarely enforced. I may be wrong but I am pretty certain it is.
There's no such in Nigeria constitution, if I'm wrong I should be corrected.

Religiously wrong, I don't thing Nigeria LAW forbid it cuz common sense should tell us it's wrong.

1 Like

Re: Criminalisation Of Public Photography, My Police Encounter? by dustydee: 11:17am On Jan 17, 2020
Offpoint:

There's no such in Nigeria constitution, if I'm wrong I should be corrected.

Religiously wrong, I don't thing Nigeria LAW forbid it cuz common sense should tell us it's wrong.
Nigerian laws are not made up only of the constitution. I belive it is the penal code.
Re: Criminalisation Of Public Photography, My Police Encounter? by Vicjustice: 12:14pm On Jan 17, 2020
Offpoint:

Nothing I avoid in my life more than arguments.

"A person with ill intentions will not openly photograph you, he will do it surreptitiously"
It's obvious the only thing you know is grammar, you know nothing about criminals.

Aso Rock is a "Spectacular" building, go there and film or photograph it without informing the security guards.
Yeah, aren't these the exact kind of security guards that i encountered?
The question is, are those security guards enforcing the law or their wills?
I can tell you that there are no orders issued to these guards instructing them to prevent public photography of the building: and to directly respond to your assertion, i have personally filmed the Aso Rock, and no one asked me any question.
Isn't it funny that the very facility that is presumably restricted from filming is all over the place in Google search?
Re: Criminalisation Of Public Photography, My Police Encounter? by Offpoint: 2:57pm On Jan 17, 2020
Vicjustice:

Yeah, aren't these the exact kind of security guards that i encountered?
The question is, are those security guards enforcing the law or their wills?
I can tell you that there are no orders issued to these guards instructing them to prevent public photography of the building: and to directly respond to your assertion, i have personally filmed the Aso Rock, and no one asked me any question.
Isn't it funny that the very facility that is presumably restricted from filming is all over the place in Google search?
Like I initially said: I hate arguments.

Whatever suits you man, Nigeria law doesn't prohibit photographing anything... you're absolutely free to photograph whatever you want.

My standpoint and conclusion is... if I catch you filming my house, I'll blast your head off your neck.
My Reasons: I perceived you're a criminal syndicate, a criminal Intel, an informant.
Re: Criminalisation Of Public Photography, My Police Encounter? by Vicjustice: 11:02am On Jan 20, 2020
Offpoint:

Like I initially said: I hate arguments.

Whatever suits you man, Nigeria law doesn't prohibit photographing anything... you're absolutely free to photograph whatever you want.

My standpoint and conclusion is... if I catch you filming my house, I'll blast your head off your neck.
My Reasons: I perceived you're a criminal syndicate, a criminal Intel, an informant
So, you'd rather commit a major crime to prevent someone from taking a pictured of your house.
That's very smart.

(1) (Reply)

Jamaica And Nigeria Create History As Air Peace Lands On Caribbean Island / Cheap Uk University For Masters / How Can I Ship My Car From Nigeria To Kenya

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.