Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,466 members, 7,808,663 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:06 PM

SIM Recycling Rings Danger For Phone Users - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / SIM Recycling Rings Danger For Phone Users (33981 Views)

Pantami's Decision To Mine Data Of Phone Users Trailed By Controversy / An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers / "Itel S15 Pro: For Phone Users Who Take A Lot Of Selfies" (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

SIM Recycling Rings Danger For Phone Users by godwingenesis472(m): 7:43am On Jan 17, 2020
Phone numbers are now often considered the “trust anchor” for end-user accounts. In some cases, a user’s valid phone number is their user name. But what happens when the very phone numbers that are used to verify and keep end-users secure are given up, recycled and assigned to a new person?

Phone number recycling is the industry term that refers to the event when that deactivated/disconnected number gets reassigned to someone else. Data of recycled phone numbers are not available but is thought that if users are not diligent in updating their account information and telcos are not aware of numbers being recycled, it can lead to increased risks for the integrity of the account.

In the most basic scenario, the new owner of a phone number is now tied to the account that the former owner linked to that same number—providing access to someone else’s account. Alternatively, this can also lead to the true user being locked out and account notifications, security codes, password resets and other messages and alerts are not reaching the end-user

International Center for Investigative Reporting, (ICIR), recently wrote about confusions that have arisen as a result of SIM recycling.Imagine the frustration of a phone subscriber who is told by another that the line he or she is using is not his or hers?

Only recently, Anthony Okolia was illegally detained for possessing a phone line he purchased years after it was allegedly abandoned by Hanan Buhari, daughter of Nigeria’s President.

It was discovered that the accused had earlier registered the SIM. Fortunately, he was still in possession of the payment receipt.The incident generated some controversy. While some questioned legality of SIM swap, others expressed worry over unlawful detainment of the accused persons. There are several other Nigerians who have had similar SIM swap experience but not made their complaints public.

Last year December, Adeleke Adewolu, executive commissioner on Stakeholder Management (ECSM), Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) attributed illegal SIM swaps as being responsible for the highest cyber threats recorded in the telecom sector.

David Ogala, a security consultant ha however urged the Nigerian Communications Commission to take steps to restore trust in mobile phone.He said that subscribers’ personal experience with services providers is the most significant factor in determining the level of trust.

https://m.guardian.ng/technology/sim-recycling-rings-danger-for-phone-users/

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: SIM Recycling Rings Danger For Phone Users by Offpoint: 7:55am On Jan 17, 2020
That's how I bought airtel line last year from their office, registered the line and went home. Two days later, I decided to register whatsapp with the line, that evening that's how I received whatsapp message.

A guy threatening me, telling me I stole his one month old phone 2 weeks ago and I even have the guts to start using the phone with his sim.

He threatened me with God, Ogun, sango, Poseidon, Hades, Odin, Amadioha, police, army... dude literally threatened me with everything he could.

I tried convincing him it's a new sim I just bought and was even surprised receiving his message cuz I've not given that number out yet.

The guy wasn't listening, after threats he was even begging I returned his phone cuz he saved for over a year to get that phone and he only used it for 2 weeks.

It wasn't until I showed him the sim card with the number on it before he believed me.

I was so pissed I call Airtel Care Deck and served them their own portion of what the guy served me... still not satisfied: I headed straight to their office and served them deserts.

Imagine if I was caught with such line in public, how will I convinced them that I didn't steal the guy's phone?

Re-assigning SIM is really dangerous.

323 Likes 27 Shares

Re: SIM Recycling Rings Danger For Phone Users by popsy2(m): 8:03am On Jan 17, 2020
The writer raised poignant issues to say the least. Many a time have I purchased new numbers from service providers only to receive random calls from total strangers. Particularly, those 0803 and 0806 old lines.

Methinks there should be some sort of legal protection for subsequent users of these reassigned phone lines. An affidavit sworn in a competent court could suffice.

As for previous owners of these now reassigned numbers, it behooves them to ensure they unlink these now abandoned lines from any account of theirs to forestall security breach.

Sadly, the information gap across the country will not permit the quick dissemination of this information until fraudsters begin to have a field day.

I don't know who needs this but if you are In need of CAC company registration, Business Name registration, Trustees, NGO, NAFDAC number on your products etc, talk to us at www. Lawlab. Com. ng
The interesting part is that consultation is free of charge. Yes! Free of charge.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: SIM Recycling Rings Danger For Phone Users by drjprince: 8:04am On Jan 17, 2020
Cc lalasticlala,dragnet frontpage pls

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: SIM Recycling Rings Danger For Phone Users by theoneJabulani(m): 8:30am On Jan 17, 2020
It's very dangerous. I was always receiving alerts from wema on a new Etisalat SIM I bought. Had to go and complain but it still hasn't stopped

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: SIM Recycling Rings Danger For Phone Users by edoairways: 8:54am On Jan 17, 2020
Offpoint:
That's how I bought airtel line last year from their office, registered the line and went home. Two days later, I decided to register whatsapp with the line, that evening that's how I received whatsapp message.

A guy threatening me, telling me I stole his one month old 2 weeks ago and I even have the guts to start using the phone with his sim.

He threatened me with God, Ogun, sango, Poseidon, Hades, Odin, Amadioha, police, army... dude literally threatened me with everything he could.

I tried convincing him it's a new sim I just bought and was even surprised receiving his message cuz I've not given that number out yet.

The guy wasn't listening, after threats he was even begging I returned his phone cuz he saved for over a year to get that phone and he only used it for 2 weeks.

It wasn't until I showed him the sim card with the number on it before he believed me.

I was so pissed I call Airtel Care Deck and served them their own portion of what the guy served me... still not satisfied: I headed straight to their office and served them deserts.

Imagine if I was caught with such line in public, how will I convinced them that I didn't steal the guy's phone?

Blame that dude for leaving his line inactive for more 90 days.

4 Likes

Re: SIM Recycling Rings Danger For Phone Users by godwingenesis472(m): 10:11am On Jan 17, 2020
theoneJabulani:
It's very dangerous. I was always receiving alerts from wema on a new Etisalat SIM I bought. Had to go and complain but it still hasn't stopped

I've observed that this issue is mostly with etisalat,as I had also had some issue as well.and this 1 is serious o,it's a bvn something...

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: SIM Recycling Rings Danger For Phone Users by PurestBoy(m): 11:25am On Jan 17, 2020
I keep receiving this when I never lived in Lagos nor own a PHCN meter. What do I do?

6 Likes

Re: SIM Recycling Rings Danger For Phone Users by godwingenesis472(m): 11:59am On Jan 17, 2020
PurestBoy:
I keep receiving this when I never lived in Lagos nor own a PHCN meter. What do I do?

Go lay a complaint at a sim registration center...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: SIM Recycling Rings Danger For Phone Users by Dobson43: 12:21pm On Jan 17, 2020
edoairways:

That's easy to say. A guy was arrested by the DSS on account of using a recycled sim. It is now a lawsuit in damages amounting to #500m.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: SIM Recycling Rings Danger For Phone Users by sofiscatedmoron: 12:54pm On Jan 17, 2020
all my 5 sims iv used many years past,, i still have all their numbers saved on my contact list, but people are alreadt using them now ,
if i check it up on whatsapp i see the people using them

there is another sim i bought recently,, after activation i keep receiving calls from hausa speaking people,, i tell them i don't understand hausa , they will be like "ba Englishi" grin,, ,they will just hang up and keep calling back again , not until i broke the sim

46 Likes 4 Shares

Re: SIM Recycling Rings Danger For Phone Users by recievesense: 12:55pm On Jan 17, 2020
It means if you buy new sim card go DSS go register am oh!

42 Likes 1 Share

Re: SIM Recycling Rings Danger For Phone Users by emmflexcsc40: 12:55pm On Jan 17, 2020
theoneJabulani:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: SIM Recycling Rings Danger For Phone Users by Timileyin1234(m): 12:56pm On Jan 17, 2020
PurestBoy:
See bogus arrears

11 Likes

Re: SIM Recycling Rings Danger For Phone Users by Kingosytex(m): 12:56pm On Jan 17, 2020
Me, my own be say me don tire to de tell aabokis say na wrong number dem de call cheesy cheesy

There is this man from the north that calls me almost on weekly basis, each time he calls I try in vain to explain to him that I am not Alhaji Yusuf...the thing don tire me sef.

32 Likes

Re: SIM Recycling Rings Danger For Phone Users by FutureFocus: 12:56pm On Jan 17, 2020
I know of a situation where someone got a new line for a new device, as you know it's the usual practice that Android request for Gmail and Gmail request for phone number for verification before users are signed up for Gmail, the moment the new phone number was entered, a message was received from Gmail saying the max number of time the number could be used for registration has been reached , and later got a Birthday wishes message from banks and notifications EKDC.
a new line should be a new line, I don't think this is nice for mobile phone subscribers ,

12 Likes

Re: SIM Recycling Rings Danger For Phone Users by voltron14: 12:57pm On Jan 17, 2020
edoairways:

So if you are out of the country what do you do?

3 Likes

Re: SIM Recycling Rings Danger For Phone Users by Xisnin(m): 12:57pm On Jan 17, 2020
Nigeria needs to ban SIM recycling unless in case of death.
There are too many dangers associated with it.
One could buy the SIM of a notorious criminal and end up in detention or worse death
at the hands of the evil police people who wouldn't listen to any explanation.

51 Likes 3 Shares

Re: SIM Recycling Rings Danger For Phone Users by Trustme2(m): 12:58pm On Jan 17, 2020
Ok
Re: SIM Recycling Rings Danger For Phone Users by nairalandbuzz(m): 12:58pm On Jan 17, 2020
Offpoint:

A guy threatening me, telling me I stole his one month old 2 weeks ago and I even have the guts to start using the phone with his sim.

The fact is that it is done all over the world. Here, I still receive unknown calls on my home line.

It is dangerous in Nigeria because some Nigerians are diabolical and extremely wicked there is no way you could have known what was done with the number by the previous user.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: SIM Recycling Rings Danger For Phone Users by MartinsD12(m): 1:00pm On Jan 17, 2020
godwingenesis472:

https://m.guardian.ng/technology/sim-recycling-rings-danger-for-phone-users/
I have been receiving weird messages and calls from different people on my mtn 4G sim up till now
Re: SIM Recycling Rings Danger For Phone Users by Nobody: 1:00pm On Jan 17, 2020
Nice piece. I see why I occasionally get calls from strange Fulani men.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: SIM Recycling Rings Danger For Phone Users by Nobody: 1:00pm On Jan 17, 2020
I received a call from a woman around 10 in the night she just started cursing without full stop... call her the next morning.... mama what's up Na

the owner of the line is owning her money and he refused to pay
and apparently my number is the guy number she who owns her .... she use to call him until he disappeared

I just reason with her.. me just buy this line to enjoy yakata bonus oooo

she just pray and end the call

7 Likes

Re: SIM Recycling Rings Danger For Phone Users by sod09(m): 1:01pm On Jan 17, 2020
One girl called me saying I have forgotten her after having sex with her, I told her wrong number that I just got the sim she said she recognised my voice.
Funny thing is she knew my name, it's was video call that made her believe me

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: SIM Recycling Rings Danger For Phone Users by Kingosytex(m): 1:01pm On Jan 17, 2020
Sunisonflex39:
this is what I saw in my dreams last night. all correct scores

oh lord are u the one speaking..
no harm in trying o.. let me play it with 200 naira. all correct scores

when I chop, make una no say I no help una o. I Don dey spread the good news

Barcelona 4-0 Granada

Real Madrid 3-1 Seville

Arsenal 3-1 Sheffield

Man city 4-0 crystal palace

Villarreal 2 - 0 espanyol

West Brom 2-0 stoke city

Play with 200 n win

All these prophets wey dey Naija suppose put heads together give guys like 5 correct scores make guys hammer once and for all.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: SIM Recycling Rings Danger For Phone Users by Sunisonflex39(m): 1:02pm On Jan 17, 2020
Timileyin1234:
See bogus arrears
like the person operates a factory with federal light

1 Like 1 Share

Re: SIM Recycling Rings Danger For Phone Users by abjisperson(m): 1:02pm On Jan 17, 2020
s
Re: SIM Recycling Rings Danger For Phone Users by luluosas(m): 1:03pm On Jan 17, 2020
Time to abolished the law mandating Sim card recycling
Re: SIM Recycling Rings Danger For Phone Users by Sunisonflex39(m): 1:03pm On Jan 17, 2020
Kingosytex:

All these prophets wey dey Naija suppose put heads together give guys like 5 correct scores make guys hammer once and for all.
if na to predict for politicians them go sabi.
u dey mind them?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How To Know If Someone Is Sharing My Data With Me (AIRTEL) / He Scammed Her Of 70k And Still Wants To Sleep With Her / How Do I Download Whatsapp On My Windows 6.1 Mobile

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.