Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,879 members, 7,802,844 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:04 PM

Brain Freeze: Russian Firm Offers Path To Immortality For A Fee - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Brain Freeze: Russian Firm Offers Path To Immortality For A Fee (44053 Views)

Elon Musk's Brain-chip Company Neuralink Gets Approval To Start Human Trial(pic) / Silicon Valley Start-up Backed By Jeff Bezos Is Trying To Create Immortality(Pix / The Concept Of Immortality (could The Human Race Live Forever) In My Own Logic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Brain Freeze: Russian Firm Offers Path To Immortality For A Fee by Nobody: 8:58am On Jan 17, 2020
When Alexei Voronenkov’s 70-year-old mother passed away, he paid to have her brain frozen and stored in the hope breakthroughs in science will one day be able to bring her back to life.

It is one of 71 brains and human cadavers - which Russian company KrioRus calls its “patients” - floating in liquid nitrogen in one of several metres-tall vats in a corrugated metal shed outside Moscow.

They are stored at -196 degrees Celsius (-320.8°F) with the aim of protecting them against deterioration, although there is currently no evidence science will be able to revive the dead.

“I did this because we were very close and I think it is the only chance for us to meet in the future,” said Voronenkov who intends to undergo the procedure, known as cryonics, when he dies.

The head of the Russian Academy of Sciences’s Pseudoscience Commission, Evgeny Alexandrov, described cryonics as “an exclusively commercial undertaking that does not have any scientific basis”, in comments to the Izvestia newspaper.

It is “a fantasy speculating on people’s hopes of resurrection from the dead and dreams of eternal life”, the newspaper quoted him as saying.

Valeriya Udalova, KrioRus’s director who got her dog frozen when it died in 2008, said it is likely that humankind will develop the technology to revive dead people in the future, but that there is no guarantee of such technology.

KrioRus says hundreds of potential clients from nearly 20 countries have signed up for its after-death service.

It costs $36,000 for a whole body and $15,000 for the brain alone for Russians, who earn average monthly salaries of $760, according to official statistics. Prices are slightly higher for non-Russians.

The company says it is the only one in Russia and the surrounding region. Set up in 2005, it has at least two competitors in the United States, where the practice dates back further.

Voronenkov said he set his hopes on science. “I hope one day it reaches a level when we can produce artificial bodies and organs to create an artificial body where my mother’s brain can be integrated.”

KrioRus’ director Udalova argues that those paying to have dying relatives’ remains preserved are showing how much they love them.

“They try to bring hope,” she said. “What can we do for our dying relatives or the ones that we love? A nice burial, a photo album,” she said. “They go further, proving their love even more.”
Source: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-russia-cryonics/brain-freeze-russian-firm-offers-path-to-immortality-for-a-fee-idUSKBN1ZD1FN

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Brain Freeze: Russian Firm Offers Path To Immortality For A Fee by popsy2(m): 9:04am On Jan 17, 2020
You all want to stay on earth, oblivious of whether or not what lies in the great beyond is much better than what we have here.

All I can say is that this is a fraud. They are cashing out on the emotional attachment people have for "living forever". They were even clear enough by warning that they make no guarantees just as MMM was warning. That's brazen. Our political class storming Russia in 3, 2, 1 .

I don't know who needs this but if you are In need of CAC company registration, Business Name registration, Trustees, NGO, NAFDAC number on your products etc, talk to us at www. Lawlab. Com. ng
The interesting part is that consultation is free of charge. Yes! Free of charge.

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Brain Freeze: Russian Firm Offers Path To Immortality For A Fee by sagieramos(m): 9:26am On Jan 17, 2020
Have they figure out the process of reviving damaged DNA behind cells and organs formation that was caused by Adam?
If they haven't, God's kingdom is our only hope for everlasting life

150 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Brain Freeze: Russian Firm Offers Path To Immortality For A Fee by Eife(m): 10:06am On Jan 17, 2020
With Science you just can't get enough. More investions will keep coming

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Brain Freeze: Russian Firm Offers Path To Immortality For A Fee by tck2000(m): 10:56am On Jan 17, 2020
Wrong Headline

17 Likes

Re: Brain Freeze: Russian Firm Offers Path To Immortality For A Fee by Nobody: 11:08am On Jan 17, 2020
tck2000:
Wrong Headline
Why do u say so?
Suggestions are welcome

2 Likes

Re: Brain Freeze: Russian Firm Offers Path To Immortality For A Fee by GEOANDSONS: 1:56pm On Jan 17, 2020
Keanu Reeves Replicas comes to mind.

Macsjebs:

Why do u say so?
Suggestions are welcome
Cryonics: Russian firm bla bla bla

Brain Freeze means a different thing

Meanwhile

5 Likes

Re: Brain Freeze: Russian Firm Offers Path To Immortality For A Fee by babtaima(m): 1:56pm On Jan 17, 2020
b
Re: Brain Freeze: Russian Firm Offers Path To Immortality For A Fee by Nobody: 1:56pm On Jan 17, 2020
wow
Re: Brain Freeze: Russian Firm Offers Path To Immortality For A Fee by sanemind2(m): 1:57pm On Jan 17, 2020
This science people sef eh...l dey fear them

meanwhile

500gb New external drives available with Movies of all Genres, Movies are filled upto 99% with High Definition Movies. POD only in ph and Calabar
Re: Brain Freeze: Russian Firm Offers Path To Immortality For A Fee by Mandesz(m): 1:57pm On Jan 17, 2020
Re: Brain Freeze: Russian Firm Offers Path To Immortality For A Fee by toluleke(m): 1:58pm On Jan 17, 2020
Oyinbo and nonsense why won't you allow the dead rest in peace

1 Like

Re: Brain Freeze: Russian Firm Offers Path To Immortality For A Fee by Groovy1993: 1:58pm On Jan 17, 2020
This is a perfect example of 419.
Advance fee fraud.
It's impossible to collect refund because you will be DEAD.

64 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Brain Freeze: Russian Firm Offers Path To Immortality For A Fee by Frankyboy1(m): 1:59pm On Jan 17, 2020
The headline is not inline with the article! You can not preserve the spirit of man, so you can never guarantee immortality, na there God use senior man, d day humans can ensure immortality, then they have given credence to atheism, and validate their claim!

10 Likes

Re: Brain Freeze: Russian Firm Offers Path To Immortality For A Fee by Afedminister49: 1:59pm On Jan 17, 2020
ok
Re: Brain Freeze: Russian Firm Offers Path To Immortality For A Fee by naijaguy123456(m): 1:59pm On Jan 17, 2020
It’s very very possible. Who would have thought we will have driverless cars, apple phone etc now including airplanes .

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Brain Freeze: Russian Firm Offers Path To Immortality For A Fee by soberdrunk(m): 2:00pm On Jan 17, 2020
Somebody do am for 404 cry cry cry
Re: Brain Freeze: Russian Firm Offers Path To Immortality For A Fee by Righteousness89(m): 2:00pm On Jan 17, 2020
Impossible task........
The Capacity of the Human brain can only function to the degree GOD ALMIGHTY allows..
There is Only One RESURRECTION and THE LIFE. That is JESUS CHRIST... We don't have that Capability as Humans , Except on Basis where the dead is brought back to Life In The Name oF JESUS CHRIST

This is one Reason GOD ALMIGHTY made The Greatest gift (SALVATION) Free of Charge..

If Salvation/ Eternity in Heaven was Monetized, Many of us will not be able to Access it, as some persons would have Purchased for their Unborn Generations...

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Brain Freeze: Russian Firm Offers Path To Immortality For A Fee by oshe11: 2:01pm On Jan 17, 2020
Another MMM on fleek

2 Likes

Re: Brain Freeze: Russian Firm Offers Path To Immortality For A Fee by Kentuforchrist(m): 2:01pm On Jan 17, 2020
Unlike My Country Nigeria.... Chaii Who Slap Me
Re: Brain Freeze: Russian Firm Offers Path To Immortality For A Fee by IME1: 2:02pm On Jan 17, 2020
I served in Sokoto State many years ago and it was an awesome experience
Used an open air bathroom and toilet all through grin
Slept on floor, ok the mattress was that flat, all through lipsrsealed
Had little knowledge of the language or terrain
Experienced sand storm twice
Experienced terrible cold and heat, brokenness and hunger, alone and typhoid
But in all these when the time came to go, I packed my bags and bade my lovely city goodbye

No matter how much I loved my time there, I had to move on.
Even if I go there now it won't be the same because the good friends, employers, colleagues, churchmates and neighbours and yes henemies I shared that time and experience with are no longer there
It would be for me like a stranger in Moscow

At my age now, at times 2 the number now with a decade toppings, why will I want to still press to live longer than God wills? Who will be with me then? My great great great grandchildren abi? Their parents and grant parents and great grand parents? Abi lalasticlala or little Emmanuela

My grandfather would have been 98 this year but before he died he told me that he felt like there was no one for him to gist with because most of his age mates and contemporaries had passed. When he became ill, he asked that we let him go and not spend on unnecessary medical tourism. This was a man that had travelled far and wide and had great great grand children and everything he wanted.

So if a Russian is frozen in 2020 with all the things going on now, when he wakes up in 2222 or let me not exaggerate, 2099 or 2100, what would he want to do?

It's the same way I find it hard to follow most contemporary songs, I still dance to my 70s, 80s, 90s jamz then by 2100 you would want me to dance to what now? talk about what now? Live with who now? Work which work?

I beg shift... make them go look for solution to, I mean permanent solutions to asthma, epilepsy, AIDS, cancer, hepatitis series, sickle cell anaemia, dementia, down syndrome and other things that are plaguing the NOW world please, I beg, please

99 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Brain Freeze: Russian Firm Offers Path To Immortality For A Fee by Nobody: 2:02pm On Jan 17, 2020
I can bet my life that no matter how science improves, it can never and would never bring back the dead.. There are things that can only be done by God and bringing back the dead is one of them.. Even Satan sef no fit..

There's a limit to everything and there's a limit science can never cross..

Don't be surprised when this useless Nigeria govt would come out tomorrow and say "the ministry of science would be investing in brain freeze soon"...

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Brain Freeze: Russian Firm Offers Path To Immortality For A Fee by Ekakamba: 2:03pm On Jan 17, 2020
grin tongue
Re: Brain Freeze: Russian Firm Offers Path To Immortality For A Fee by Kentuforchrist(m): 2:03pm On Jan 17, 2020
Re: Brain Freeze: Russian Firm Offers Path To Immortality For A Fee by luvkidtemmy(m): 2:03pm On Jan 17, 2020

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Brain Freeze: Russian Firm Offers Path To Immortality For A Fee by Ubdavis(m): 2:04pm On Jan 17, 2020
sagieramos:
Have they figure out the process of reviving damaged DNA behind cells and organs formation that was caused by Adam?
If they haven't, God's kingdom is our only hope for everlasting life

Which Adam?. There is no anthropological evidence pointing to the fact that such human existed

5 Likes

Re: Brain Freeze: Russian Firm Offers Path To Immortality For A Fee by itsme01: 2:04pm On Jan 17, 2020

Cashing out from grieving rich families

10 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Turtle Wanders Into The City In Lagos (Photos) / Fintech: Top 30 Leading Women In Nigeria’s Financial Technology Industyr / World's Last Male White Rhino Dies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.