Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,124 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:14 AM

People Looked Down On Me As Someone Without A Future – Raphael Varane - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / People Looked Down On Me As Someone Without A Future – Raphael Varane (509 Views)

Raphael Dwamena Dies After Suffering A Heart Attack In Albania / Raphael Varane Signs Four-year Contract With Manchester United / Manchester United & Real Madrid Agree On £41 Million Raphael Varane transfer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

People Looked Down On Me As Someone Without A Future – Raphael Varane by dk58(m): 7:21pm On Jan 17, 2020
Raphael Varane has enjoyed a trophy-laden football career, having won a total of seventeen trophies so far—with more in sight.

The 26-year-old defender, however, is thankful to critics who believed he didn’t have the right frame of mind to succeed in football.

As a child, Varane was told he couldn’t face the challenges of professional football because he “was too nice”. He eventually won a World Cup with France. The Frenchman has also broken individual and team records with Real Madrid.

Talking to Onze Mundial about his parents’ influence, Varane explained that his father was a very strict coach who demands so much -- “mentally and physically.”

“He always imposed rules and a structure that must be followed.”

“My mom is a teacher so you can easily understand why she’s serious about my education …She was always on top of my schooling.”

France made it to EURO 2016 finals on home soil but Varane missed the tournament due to injuries—after preparing for 2 years. He said that disappointment was one of the saddest moments of his career mainly because France won’t be hosting a European Championships in the next couple of years.

But the France international footballer doesn't give up easily.

Talking about his dreams and early football years, Varane said: “There are some kids you see and know they'll succeed but that wasn't the case for me…When I was little, I was told that I didn't have the right mentality to succeed because I was kind; I wasn't just ‘rough’ enough…Other kids at my school went to fight, but I was kind and principled.”

At 26, Varane has won 4 Champions League, 1 Cope del Rey and 3 Spanish Supercup titles, among numerous others. Real Madrid signed him for €10m in 2011. Remarkably, the French centre-back from Lens has gone on to become the youngest player with the most trophies in Los Blancos’ history.

Without doubts, Varane can clinch more silverware than any other in Los Merengues' history if he sticks with the team for a few more years.

Source: https://meziesblog.com/people-looked-down-on-me-as-someone-without-a-future-raphael-varane/

(1) (Reply)

You Shouldn't Speak About What Is Not Yours - Jose Mourinho Blasts Antonio Conte / Salah’s Brace: Liverpool Star Closing In On Messi And Lewandowski’s Goal Record / High School Principal Put On Leave For Saying Kobe Bryant's Death Was 'Deserved'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.