Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,523 members, 7,808,905 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:09 PM

Many Yoruba Dialects Not Intelligible - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Many Yoruba Dialects Not Intelligible (1446 Views)

How Mutually Intelligible Are The Various Edoid Languages / List Of Igbo Dialects And Where They Are Spoken In Igboland / Syntax Variations Across Igbo Dialects (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Many Yoruba Dialects Not Intelligible by okpalaAnambra: 7:58pm On Jan 18, 2020
Most people don't know that aside general Yoruba language that emanated from parts of oyo and osun most Yoruba dialects aren't intelligible such as Ekiti, Ondo and some minor groups in ife...
Re: Many Yoruba Dialects Not Intelligible by Agricaddict(m): 8:04pm On Jan 18, 2020
OP must have lived for Long time in Yoruba Land, That's diversity, the number of dialects in Yoruba Land is almost 300
Re: Many Yoruba Dialects Not Intelligible by nlPoster: 8:08pm On Jan 18, 2020
Are posters 1 and 2 the same person?

2 Likes

Re: Many Yoruba Dialects Not Intelligible by robinso01(m): 8:26pm On Jan 18, 2020
okpalaAnambra:
Most people don't know that aside general Yoruba language that emanated from parts of oyo and osun most Yoruba dialects aren't intelligible such as Ekiti, Ondo and some minor groups in ife...
There's nothing like minor group in ife, and every towns have their dialects

1 Like

Re: Many Yoruba Dialects Not Intelligible by Osaze007: 8:30pm On Jan 18, 2020
That’s why Yorubas are far ahead
They have all adopted Oyo Yoruba has lingua Franca
They have created a singular cultural identity that transverses religion and sub nationality as evidence by ishola

1 Like

Re: Many Yoruba Dialects Not Intelligible by nlPoster: 8:32pm On Jan 18, 2020
robinso01:

There's nothing like minor group in ife, and every towns have their dialects

Sometimes one doesnt even know where to start from with folks here.
Re: Many Yoruba Dialects Not Intelligible by Charleys: 8:43pm On Jan 18, 2020
How come Yoruba men don't like eating their wive's food.?
Re: Many Yoruba Dialects Not Intelligible by nlPoster: 8:44pm On Jan 18, 2020
Oh God.
Re: Many Yoruba Dialects Not Intelligible by Charleys: 8:44pm On Jan 18, 2020
Osaze007:
That’s why Yorubas are far ahead
They have all adopted Oyo Yoruba has lingua Franca
They have created a singular cultural identity that transverses religion and sub nationality as evidence by ishola

How come yorubas don't like eating their wife's food. Because they are afraid of poisoning
Re: Many Yoruba Dialects Not Intelligible by edoairways: 8:45pm On Jan 18, 2020
Charleys:
How come Yoruba men don't like eating their wive's food.?
That is a fallacy

1 Like

Re: Many Yoruba Dialects Not Intelligible by robinso01(m): 8:45pm On Jan 18, 2020
nlPoster:

Sometimes one doesnt even know where to start from with folks here.
One still gonna have to start from somewhere
Re: Many Yoruba Dialects Not Intelligible by Osaze007: 8:50pm On Jan 18, 2020
Charleys:

How come yorubas don't like eating their wife's food. Because they are afraid of poisoning

Too much Onitsha weed

1 Like

Re: Many Yoruba Dialects Not Intelligible by Charleys: 8:52pm On Jan 18, 2020
edoairways:

That is a fallacy
niggar don't fallacy me. I know thousands of men who don't eat their wife's food.

I'll tell you one story. I and my guys had a painting job. It was the biggest painting job we had, and this man came home with food from shop rite for dogs.

The wife came collected the food and threw it in the dust bin.

Their house girl told us the man doesn't eat the wife's food.
Re: Many Yoruba Dialects Not Intelligible by edoairways: 8:53pm On Jan 18, 2020
Charleys:
niggar don't fallacy me. I know thousands of men who don't eat their wife's food.
And there are millions that love their wife's food

1 Like

Re: Many Yoruba Dialects Not Intelligible by nlPoster: 8:54pm On Jan 18, 2020
robinso01:

One still gonna have to start from somewhere

It can be quite tiresome.

I seriously dont know how the early visitors to Nigeria dealt with all this to form the country of today?
Re: Many Yoruba Dialects Not Intelligible by Charleys: 8:57pm On Jan 18, 2020
Osaze007:

Too much Onitsha weed

Don't change the topic, a yoruba man will never eat his wife's food but will rather eat outside in the junction where iya basira cooks.
Re: Many Yoruba Dialects Not Intelligible by nlPoster: 8:57pm On Jan 18, 2020
Are you asking why people (Nigerians included) like eating out?

1 Like

Re: Many Yoruba Dialects Not Intelligible by Osaze007: 9:02pm On Jan 18, 2020
Charleys:

Don't change the topic, a yoruba man will never eat his wife's food but will rather eat outside in the junction where iya basira cooks.

Is this your new lie!

It’s no longer Yoruba are cowards and you own 99% of Lagos

1 Like

Re: Many Yoruba Dialects Not Intelligible by nlPoster: 9:05pm On Jan 18, 2020
Charleys:

Rich Yorubas employ cooks. Sometimes the restaurant owner can function as the cook. I think I know who you're talking about, although I have no idea why you're taking it so personally.

It's their money, not yours.

1 Like

Re: Many Yoruba Dialects Not Intelligible by Charleys: 9:10pm On Jan 18, 2020
Osaze007:

Is this your new lie!

It’s no longer Yoruba are cowards and you own 99% of Lagos

I have never said anything about yorubas being cowards or owning 99% of Lagos. I asked a simple question.

Why do men from the south west don't eat their wife's food.

Note, every Yoruba man knows at least two men who don't eat their wife's food.
Re: Many Yoruba Dialects Not Intelligible by Osaze007: 9:18pm On Jan 18, 2020
Charleys:

I have never said anything about yorubas being cowards or owning 99% of Lagos. I asked a simple question.

Why do men from the south west don't eat their wife's food.

Note, every Yoruba man knows at least two men who don't eat their wife's food.

I don’t have time to discus Igbo beer parlour gist
That’s the you all told yourself in this recent village festivities

3 Likes

Re: Many Yoruba Dialects Not Intelligible by Osaze007: 9:18pm On Jan 18, 2020
nlPoster:

Rich Yorubas employ cooks. Sometimes the restaurant owner can function as the cook. I think I know who you're talking about, although I have no idea why you're taking it so personally.

It's their money, not yours.

Who’s that ?
Re: Many Yoruba Dialects Not Intelligible by robinso01(m): 9:19pm On Jan 18, 2020
nlPoster:

It can be quite tiresome.

I seriously dont know how the early visitors to Nigeria dealt with all this to form the country of today?
LOL, no matter how big a word is, it can never be cut by knife
Re: Many Yoruba Dialects Not Intelligible by nlPoster: 9:54pm On Jan 18, 2020
robinso01:

LOL,

It worries me sometimes, that why am I not aggressive, rude and pushy like these other Nigerians, when did I turn to a minority?
Re: Many Yoruba Dialects Not Intelligible by robinso01(m): 10:14pm On Jan 18, 2020
nlPoster:

It worries me sometimes, that why am I not aggressive, rude and pushy like these other Nigerians, when did I turn to a minority?

Everybody can't just be aggressive, rude and pushy, all of us can't just be the same, we grew up in different conditions and environments
Re: Many Yoruba Dialects Not Intelligible by googi: 3:06pm On Jan 24, 2020
I would have thought the subject here was dialect.

(1) (Reply)

Are The Benins Superior To Te Yorubas / Why Do Africa Think Its ENTITLED To Foreign Aid? / Cultural Unity Of African Peoples

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.