Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,550 members, 7,809,016 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:07 PM

Vehicle Change Or Ownership In Nigeria: Whats The Procedure? - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Vehicle Change Or Ownership In Nigeria: Whats The Procedure? (44750 Views)

****Lightening Fast RO/RO Vehicle Shipping From Any U.S Location Made Easy***** / Whats The Difference: Volkswagen Golf And Volkswagen Gti / For Your New Car Registration(plate Number,change Of Ownership E.t.c (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Vehicle Change Or Ownership In Nigeria: Whats The Procedure? by killafree: 2:48pm On Dec 07, 2010
Dear Nairalanders,
                              i want to buy a car from somebody and i want to know how to acquire change of ownership papers.how do i go about it?

1 Like

Re: Vehicle Change Or Ownership In Nigeria: Whats The Procedure? by Carshopper(m): 5:48pm On Dec 07, 2010
1. police report

2. affidavit

3. proof of sale between u n seller

or u contact me on my numbers below and i help u run all documents needed.
Re: Vehicle Change Or Ownership In Nigeria: Whats The Procedure? by oyinmio: 9:07pm On Jun 04, 2011
pls we need more contributions
Re: Vehicle Change Or Ownership In Nigeria: Whats The Procedure? by Nobody: 9:15pm On Jun 04, 2011
The OP doesn't state what country he's in, the procedure will differ based upon country of residence / vehicle is registered in.
Re: Vehicle Change Or Ownership In Nigeria: Whats The Procedure? by oyinmio: 12:35pm On Jun 05, 2011
what s d procedure in Lagos Nigeria i need to do for a car and a bus.
Re: Vehicle Change Or Ownership In Nigeria: Whats The Procedure? by Seun(m): 3:44pm On Sep 03, 2011
Bump.

1 Like

Re: Vehicle Change Or Ownership In Nigeria: Whats The Procedure? by coolgeorge: 5:20pm On Sep 03, 2011
Seun, You have asked a very good question. Nairalanders please your contributions will be appreciated.
Re: Vehicle Change Or Ownership In Nigeria: Whats The Procedure? by Damysa(f): 7:12pm On Sep 03, 2011
This will b very beneficial, pls those in the know should educate us.
Re: Vehicle Change Or Ownership In Nigeria: Whats The Procedure? by disc20: 6:01am On Aug 10, 2013
The procedure is easy, read the step-by-step guide @ www.fertilenigeria..com. Helping you do the right thing @ the right time in an easy way

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Vehicle Change Or Ownership In Nigeria: Whats The Procedure? by kayodediran: 9:17pm On Aug 15, 2014
you need to apply for a new plate number for your car as the old plate number will not go with your new paper
Re: Vehicle Change Or Ownership In Nigeria: Whats The Procedure? by gbemsone(f): 4:44pm On Aug 18, 2014
email me jgbemson@gmail.com,i will tell u wat to do
Re: Vehicle Change Or Ownership In Nigeria: Whats The Procedure? by Benez: 5:32pm On Aug 18, 2014
Call one BUKOLA on 08023272331. Is the car carrying a new plate or the old type? If it is the old plate, it is easier. U can get the new plate almost immediately but if it is carrying a new plate, it will cost u more money and it takes more time.

Pls call the above number for more clarification and patronage.
Re: Vehicle Change Or Ownership In Nigeria: Whats The Procedure? by tulaland: 11:35am On Sep 11, 2014
Hello,

I bought a car from someone who had already registered the new number. I want to know if it's possible to just do Change of Ownership, without having to get a new plate number (since the car already has one). Thank you.
Re: Vehicle Change Or Ownership In Nigeria: Whats The Procedure? by makarios911: 12:11pm On Sep 11, 2014
tulaland: Hello,

I bought a car from someone who had already registered the new number. I want to know if it's possible to just do Change of Ownership, without having to get a new plate number (since the car already has one). Thank you.

Yes u can but you will need a sworn court affidavit, police extract, and d deed of sale duly signed by the seller. The new papers however will carry the seller's name n details not yurs hence d need for all the supporting documents. But if u want it to carry yur name u will hv to pay for a new number plate since the number is tied to the seller's driver licence.
Re: Vehicle Change Or Ownership In Nigeria: Whats The Procedure? by hotice01: 1:34pm On Sep 17, 2014
makarios911:

Yes u can but you will need a sworn court affidavit, police extract, and d deed of sale duly signed by the seller. The new papers however will carry the seller's name n details not yurs hence d need for all the supporting documents. But if u want it to carry yur name u will hv to pay for a new number plate since the number is tied to the seller's driver licence.

How much does it cost in Nigeria,for change of ownership and gettin a new plate number?
Re: Vehicle Change Or Ownership In Nigeria: Whats The Procedure? by makarios911: 4:01pm On Sep 18, 2014
hotice01:

How much does it cost in Nigeria,for change of ownership and gettin a new plate number?

Sworn affidavit is 1k ish(official price is 100naira), police extract is 3k. New vehicle papers go for 35k, but the total cost from all the reciepts is 25k ish, the pple processing usually take their cut.

1 Like

Re: Vehicle Change Or Ownership In Nigeria: Whats The Procedure? by IPCON(m): 3:30pm On Oct 08, 2014
Pls with all these, how can one know if the car he wants to buy is not a stolen vehicle?
Re: Vehicle Change Or Ownership In Nigeria: Whats The Procedure? by tribeD: 12:24pm On Oct 19, 2014
u can get details on how to go about change of ownership from Lagos State website below:
http://www.lagosstate.gov.ng/pagemenus.php?p=137&k=43
This is what is written from the website

CHANGE OF OWNERSHIP PROCEDURE

To effect the change in ownership of a vehicle, the new owner of the vehicle must present the following documents to the licensing officer at the office of initial registration.

(a) The allocation of Plate Number Form i.e. (Blue Form)
(b) Valid vehicle license
(c) Receipt of purchase
(d) Letter of Authority to effect change of ownership
(e) Sworn Affidavit by the new owner
(f) Police Report to support the change of ownership
(g) The CMR Information for change of ownership
(h) Passport Photograph
(i) Change of Ownership Form completed by the owner and endorsed by the Police Officer attached to the Station.

Upon presentation of documents, the application is processed and assessment made for payment.

Change of ownership fee N2,000
Capital Gains Tax N 500

NOTE: - The vehicle must have been registered for at least a period of six month before change of ownership can be effected.

1 Like

Re: Vehicle Change Or Ownership In Nigeria: Whats The Procedure? by Nobody: 12:04pm On Jan 30, 2015
makarios911:

Carshopper:
1. police report
2. affidavit
3. proof of sale between u n seller
or u contact me on my numbers below and i help u run all documents needed.
can the police report or extract be gotten from any police station?
Re: Vehicle Change Or Ownership In Nigeria: Whats The Procedure? by infynyx: 8:06am On Feb 25, 2018
Please I purchase a car and I want to do just the change of ownership because the car has the full custom documents and everything is cleared. Please what will it cost me to do the change of ownership?
Re: Vehicle Change Or Ownership In Nigeria: Whats The Procedure? by xcuggsm(m): 8:35am On Apr 29, 2019
HOW CAN ONE PROCESS A CHANGE OF OWNERSHIP FOR VEHICLE BOUGHT FROM THE GOVERNMENT THAT BEARS AN FGN REGISTRATION NUMBER?
Re: Vehicle Change Or Ownership In Nigeria: Whats The Procedure? by ibidapko(m): 9:16am On Apr 29, 2019
Can somebody please help out here. I am also negotiating to buy an FGN registered Hilux in Abuja, what is the change of ownership requirements?
Re: Vehicle Change Or Ownership In Nigeria: Whats The Procedure? by ibidapko(m): 11:16am On Apr 29, 2019
Any ideas?
Re: Vehicle Change Or Ownership In Nigeria: Whats The Procedure? by fineboynl(m): 9:46pm On Feb 07, 2023

(1) (Reply)

Toyota Corolla Snatched At Gunpoint In Abuja / 2014 Model Benz S550 4matic Toks Full Option Selling Cheap / Save your time and money with Auctionexport PROMOTIONS!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.