Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,814 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:53 AM

My Fear For Pentecostalism. . .will She Last? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Fear For Pentecostalism. . .will She Last? (5162 Views)

Rev King, Pentecostalism, Christianity, Gullibility And Igbo Nation / Tongues: A Fundamental Flaw In Pentecostalism / The Gospel Of Materialism – Nigerian Pentecostalism And Hypocrisy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Fear For Pentecostalism. . .will She Last? by Tonyet1(m): 4:18pm On Dec 07, 2010
My Fear for Pentecostalism

Pentecostal movements have grown from a handful at the turn of the 20th century to at least several hundred million at the turn of the 21st century. If current trends continue the numbers could reach one billion by 2050 - Philip Jenkins

What Is Pentecostalism?

Pentecostalism is a movement that stresses the importance of tongue-speaking as a "second blessing." People are taught that they receive the Holy Spirit upon conversion, but are not filled with or baptized with the Holy Spirit until they speak in tongues. It is a modern American Christian movement that emerged out of the Holiness Movement at the turn of the 20th Century along with other heretical movements during that period of time in American history. Two key figures in the beginning of Pentecostalism were Charles Parham (1873-1929), the founder of Bethel Bible College in Topeka, Kansas, and William Seymour (1870-1922), an African American Holiness evangelist from
Louisiana.

Who Was Charles Parham (founder of Pentecostalism)?

Parham was born in Muscatine, Iowa in 1873. After feeling a call to preach as a young man, Parham involved himself in many of the religious movements of his day, including the Holiness and Divine Healing movements.

In 1898 Parham founded the Bethel Healing Home in Topeka, Kansas as a haven for those seeking divine healing. Shortly thereafter he toured the Holy Ghost and Us Bible School in Shiloh, Maine, where he heard of instances of glossolalia (speaking in tongues) among missionaries.

Parham became convinced the premillennial return of Christ would be preceded by a worldwide revival and outpouring of the Holy Spirit. Glossolalia would be the sign of the Spirit's empowerment for this revival and for great missionary endeavors. Therefore he was convinced that the gifts of the Holy Spirit that were evident in apostolic times are available to Christians in modern times as well. In 1900 he started a Bible school at Bethel; he instructed his students to examine the Bible, particularly Acts 2, to learn the biblical sign of Spirit baptism.

On January 1, 1901, one of Parham's students, Agnes Ozman, spoke in tongues. With a few days, half the school had similar experiences. It was concluded, then, that  speaking in tongues was the evidence that one had been baptized by the Holy Spirit, and henceforth came to be the distinctive doctrine of the Pentecostal Churches, differing them from the Holiness Groups.

Although the Pentecostal movement began with him, Parham soon lost control of it. Parham spent most of his time outside the mainstream of the emerging Pentecostal movement.

Some churches that rose out of this movement are Assemblies of God, Pentecostal Churches, Independent Pentecostal Churches, Four-Square Gospel Churches, Apostolic Faith Churches, Church of God in Christ.
Re: My Fear For Pentecostalism. . .will She Last? by Tonyet1(m): 4:20pm On Dec 07, 2010
Her Core Belief system

Speaking in Tongues: The Pentecostal movement continues to be very popular and powerful throughout the world due to the attractive aspect that one is close to God due to him speaking in tongues. Modern Pentecostals believe that their church traces its beginning to the point in history when the Holy Spirit descended unto the Apostles of our risen Lord, and the Apostles began speaking in tongues.

Baptism of the Holy Spirit: Pentecostal churches teach that Christians receive the Holy Spirit when they are first converted, but that they are not filled with the Spirit until they are “baptized with the Spirit”. This baptism of the Spirit is not considered necessary for salvation, but people are encouraged to seek it in order to receive additional.
Re: My Fear For Pentecostalism. . .will She Last? by Tonyet1(m): 4:22pm On Dec 07, 2010
Her Flaws

- I’ll mince no word to say that, what use to be a haven for spiritual awareness and revival is gradually been masked by unhealthy outburst of Pride and lust for material possessions.

- Competition for who builds the best of edifice is now the order of the day, homes of innocents are impoverished and gullible are made to pay for resources such as schools and institutions they only dream of attending.

- Shamanism is now been made to look like the miraculous working hand of God, practices that have no relatives within scriptural validities are taught openly and used to intimidate those who would not buy into such acts.

- I remain speechless in the razzmatazz been displaced on Christian cable networks, a fortress that once played a major role in strengthening my faith has now become nothing more than a ‘wall street’.

- For Christ sake, what on earth would a sensational healing pastor be doing with a female counterpart both holding hands together coming out from a hotel with the latter on mini-skirt?

- The crux of it all is that Pentecostalism ended up creating nothing more than a monarchy form of government mixed with Autocracy, where the supposed head are made to look and receive worship like GOD himself . . . If Oyed~, Oyakhi~ Ade~ et al dies today, who becomes the next daddy GO?, will the faithful within the confinements of their present authority honor the ‘next-called’ with the same respect given to the former? This I say in worry especially when we live in a time where GOs are reverenced as demi-gods and not as servants as it ought to be.

- At least,I have eyes that see, and this I say with the notion that families from other movements do better in bringing up their kids in the fear and standards of their ‘belief-system’. Why is the Pentecostal movement different?

- When we were kids, we were meant to believe that a church as an ‘physical institution’ is designed to help support with love those who do not believe in them, that through such act, the unbelieving will believe.

- I say this not to speak evil of the movement of which I remain a staunch, but to seek solace and wise counsel from those who believe in my belief-system.

Please advice, will pentecostalism last?. . .my heart bleeds!
Re: My Fear For Pentecostalism. . .will She Last? by KunleOshob(m): 4:25pm On Dec 07, 2010
^^^
Mmmmmh! So the founder of the pentecostal movement was Gay, no wonder there are so many deluded hypocrites amongst them.
Re: My Fear For Pentecostalism. . .will She Last? by Ymodulus: 4:41pm On Dec 07, 2010
KunleOshob:

^^^
Mmmmmh! So the founder of the pentecostal movement was Gay, no wonder there are so many deluded hypocrites amongst them.
Re: My Fear For Pentecostalism. . .will She Last? by Tonyet1(m): 4:49pm On Dec 07, 2010
@ KunleOshob,

The founder was only accused of the act. . .it was only an ACCUSATION. Wonder if your 'holiness' church does not have the so-called deluded hypocrites.

Besides, the essence of the thread is to create a platform for good discourse and not your usual mudsliging. smiley
Re: My Fear For Pentecostalism. . .will She Last? by Zikkyy(m): 4:59pm On Dec 07, 2010
Oga Tonye, I don’t understand you. I thought you’ve been enjoying the goings-on in your church till this time. Na wa for you, why you dey complain.

Tonye-t:

a fortress that once played a major role in strengthening my faith has now become nothing more than a ‘wall street’.

You never see anything.
Re: My Fear For Pentecostalism. . .will She Last? by Tonyet1(m): 5:11pm On Dec 07, 2010
Zikkyy:

Oga Tonye, I don’t understand you. I thought you’ve been enjoying the goings-on in your church till this time. Na wa for you, why you dey complain.

^^^ and what is your point?. . .like what do you mean by enjoying the goings-on in your church? pls explain  undecided
Re: My Fear For Pentecostalism. . .will She Last? by nuclearboy(m): 7:16pm On Dec 07, 2010
@Tonye:

I too wonder at your naming Adeboye, Oyakilome, Oyedepo above and asking who takes over when they go the way of other men.

The impression you give normally on Nairaland is as though these people are infallible and speak FOR and AS God. Tithes, oya. 1st fruits - oya. Only to our hands - oya. Even today, Kunle started off a thread on Oyaks birthday and you were quick to be aggresive. That usually makes you seem like you "follow" them. Read that as "worship them" and please understand it is not an insult but just the way it looks. I might be wrong but I wager thats what almost everyone here thinks.

But the impression your thread (this one) gives is totally different and is as though you realise that many happenings in these churches and in these men's lives are wrong, show them as only human and NOT special.

I think the contradiction is what kunle and zikky are wondering at. I have seen you show remarkable insight at times (aside a really good humor) but remain puzzled at the fluctuations. Today - na MOG, tomorrow na God! Which one you hold, bro?
Re: My Fear For Pentecostalism. . .will She Last? by TheClown: 9:16pm On Dec 07, 2010
Well, Tonye T, I must say that I'm suprised that this article is coming from you of all persons!

That haven been said, I would give my opinion here,
Pentecostalism will outlast protestantism, consume her. You would look to see Protestantism (That is if at all you would know what it had looked like then) and all you would see would be Pentecostalism. Pentecostalism would encroach  upon the mother church but she would withstand her!

And if you think pentecostalism you know today would be the same in ten years to come, you are in for a shock. Pentecostalism would continue to change and change like it has always done. It would absorb both the fair and the foul of her rapidly changing society. It would accommodate every wolf that comes into its fold with all cunningness and predatorship. All the believes of the new world order and more would be absorbed into penticostalism.

Penticostalism would grow and grow. This is because its going to become an easier option for the world of easy going humans, a world where nothing can be condemned, a world where people can no longer draw a line between sanity and insanity. It would become very attractive to members and lucrative to owners. Even as it is now, it would become more unchallenging to the consciences of its members and they would wallow in their iniquities, claiming grace for their purpose.

All forms of evil would be accepted as the norms because, penticostalism is based on personal perception of the Bible alone. No doctrine, no strict regulations, no laid down traditions, no established organisation that is superior to its founder, not even a formal training is strictly required. Men would rise up and interprete the bible the way that suits them, the way they want to believe it, like it has started already. The devil would call for miracle and innocent supposed but superior feeling christians would flock there. They would be spoken to sweetly, acted for beautifully, and dazzled with flints and sparkles. They would be told to believe and all these would be given to them! They would indirectly be encouraged to embezzle, steal and defraud (Grace covers them anyway!).

You ask, will pentecostalism last?! It will outlast most orthodox and protestant churches of today. It would assume an unchristian dimension, its form very attractive and alluring, like its already assuming. It would, in its thousand and one different forms be the main church beside the Catholic Church. It would become more worldly than the world. Pentecostals would believe themselves to be the real Christians, the heaven bound people. But may God help us!

You asked a question, here, you have an answer!

2 Likes

Re: My Fear For Pentecostalism. . .will She Last? by Ladyrsky46: 9:37pm On Dec 07, 2010
Difference between protestanism and pentecostalism? undecided
Re: My Fear For Pentecostalism. . .will She Last? by Joagbaje(m): 7:16am On Dec 08, 2010
@TONYE-T
I was wondering if somebody else used your I.D. to post the thread. I don't subscribe the the name .PENTICOSTAL knowing it relates to Judaism . And it's used in error for the church. But having understanding about what they represent by it. THE HOLY SPIRIT. And his manifestations. It is unstoppable. It will eat up everything on it's way.until the church is perfected for the coming of christ.

There may be issues of concern in the body of christ. There have always been issues . But thesame holy spirit we trust, he knows how to purge his church. His work is unstoppable. There's no doubt about that.

But some of the issues you raised will require clarification.

This I say in worry especially when we live in a time where GOs are reverenced as demi-gods and not as servants as it ought to be.

There is nothing wrong in reverence and respect for ministers of God. It is purely scriptural. The bible say to "ESTEEM THEM HIGHLY FOR THEIR WORK SAKE"

But those things you listed as flaws in the church is a little shocking. It is not a flaw to build a decent place of worship For God. God himself demanded the use of Gold and other things for his place of worship. It is a honour to the God we serve.

These FLAWS things of yours are critical of the body of christ . You didn't give any biblical backing or explanation
Re: My Fear For Pentecostalism. . .will She Last? by InesQor(m): 7:42am On Dec 08, 2010
*Now perches and carefully [i]siddon-dey-look[/i]s on the thread* grin
Re: My Fear For Pentecostalism. . .will She Last? by KunleOshob(m): 9:34am On Dec 08, 2010
@joagbaje
The scripture below explains christ position on the reverence of religious leaders. I know you don't follow christ but I am posting for the benefit of others who might be mis-lead by your utterances

Matthew 23:8-10

You must not call them teacher, because you are all brothers of one and other and you have only one teacher. 9 And you must not call anyone [religious leader] father for you have only the father in heaven. 10 Nor should you be called leader because your one and only leader is the messiah.
Re: My Fear For Pentecostalism. . .will She Last? by Tonyet1(m): 12:28pm On Dec 08, 2010
lol @Nuclearboy

- You see this is where people get it wrong about Life in general. . .they take a specimen from the whole and use it to assume the generality failing to realize that the said specimen could just be a singular specie from the whole *which you'll understand this*.

Just because a guy believes in a scriptural practise that your personal ideology doesnt buy therefore means he is one and the same with those who you've come to label 'thieves'. Pls take the time and go thru' my over 2000 posts on this site and you'll never come across a place where i speak for or against any Man of God.

Your comment:
"The impression you give normally on Nairaland is as though these people are infallible and speak FOR and AS God" is absolutely wrong and opposite about my stance on MOGs. Tonye has always believed and thus said that this men of God should not be condemned for they remain fallibles. Rather it is your supposed league that believes these men should be condemned, crucified and buried for every little mistakes they make. True or false?

Folks here are so quick to point at mere specks on people's eyes while yet forget the fact that they carry awhole lot of logs on theirs. My dearly sister Jesoul will atest to the fact that i remain a liberal in pragmatism but a conservative in spiritual principles.

Again am surprised at your
intentional misunderstanding of my use of those names in my point, i never condemned them like you think i did, rather i asked a question which remains that IF THESE MEN GO SOMEDAY WILL THE ATMOSPHERE OF PENTECOSTALISM REMAIN? . . .this quest my friend we both should be sober about and answer.

cheers!
Re: My Fear For Pentecostalism. . .will She Last? by Tonyet1(m): 12:37pm On Dec 08, 2010
The Clown:

Well, Tonye T, I must say that I'm suprised that this article is coming from you of all persons

Really? never thought as much! I remain a stakeholder in Christianity and my ideology holds that if the true faithfuls be it; Methodists, Catholics, Pentecostals, Anglicans, Presbys et al dont watch carefully, the thief might just come in anytime and sow the wrong seeds, hence my fear for my affiliation.

I personally dont judge anyone's affliations within the Christian confinement because
I believe different institutes are made for different purposes. let not the leg say to the hand i have no need of you.

*hmmm not so surprise folks think of Tonye this way. . .review my topics on this section, it could give a different impression about me*
Re: My Fear For Pentecostalism. . .will She Last? by Tonyet1(m): 1:17pm On Dec 08, 2010
The Clown:

Pentecostalism will outlast protestantism, consume her. You would look to see Protestantism (That is if at all you would know what it had looked like then) and all you would see would be Pentecostalism. Pentecostalism would encroach  upon the mother church but she would withstand her!

And if you think pentecostalism you know today would be the same in ten years to come, you are in for a shock. Pentecostalism would continue to change and change like it has always done. It would absorb both the fair and the foul of her rapidly changing society. It would accommodate every wolf that comes into its fold with all cunningness and predatorship. All the believes of the new world order and more would be absorbed into penticostalism.

Penticostalism would grow and grow. This is because its going to become an easier option for the world of easy going humans, a world where nothing can be condemned, a world where people can no longer draw a line between sanity and insanity. It would become very attractive to members and lucrative to owners. Even as it is now, it would become more unchallenging to the consciences of its members and they would wallow in their iniquities, claiming grace for their purpose.

All forms of evil would be accepted as the norms because, penticostalism is based on personal perception of the Bible alone. No doctrine, no strict regulations, no laid down traditions, no established organisation that is superior to its founder, not even a formal training is strictly required. Men would rise up and interprete the bible the way that suits them, the way they want to believe it, like it has started already. The devil would call for miracle and innocent supposed but superior feeling christians would flock there. They would be spoken to sweetly, acted for beautifully, and dazzled with flints and sparkles. They would be told to believe and all these would be given to them! They would indirectly be encouraged to embezzle, steal and defraud (Grace covers them anyway!).

You ask, will pentecostalism last?! It will outlast most orthodox and protestant churches of today. It would assume an unchristian dimension, its form very attractive and alluring, like its already assuming. It would, in its thousand and one different forms be the main church beside the Catholic Church. It would become more worldly than the world. Pentecostals would believe themselves to be the real Christians, the heaven bound people. But may God help us!

Thanx @The Clown,

Exactly what I have been thinking lately. . .the major problem with this movement is that we accept everything and act like it just dont matter. . .like grace will cover for every of our flaws, both intentional and unintentional.

Again one disturbing trend is the way folks within the confine pretend. We Pentecostal pretend alot, we know the truth and yet turn our eyes away. Am not saying all these flaws and many more arent found in the other affiliations. If these other affiliations wont bother about theirs I will about mine.

When I say pretend i mean the act of sorting for logical approach to lives answers when our beloved scriptures and founders strictly believed in the word alone and nothing else. The pain is that this sensual approach to christianity is against God's word and yet WE FOLD OUR ARMS AND ACT LIKE WE DONT KNOW. Its really unfortunate!

Anyone can throw stones on me for all i care, but I'll say it as it should be. Check out the new trend amongst churches today, for every program they do, you'll hear of special events like free medical check up and after such the sick will receive drugs, glasses and lots more now i ask myself if this churches should encourage the use of drugs and glasses. Are we inclining toward logical positivism or absolute spirituality. Were these things so from the beginning?

Now am not saying these things should not be there but not within our faith. And i mean it with proof.

My Uncle and awhole lot of my relations are members of the movement "science of Spirituality - vegitarian sect that believe in astral travel " and I can say it anywhere that since i got consciousness as a human i have never heard or seen them fall sick not even a headache of any such my great great grandpa is over 120yrs and still reads without googles, walks without sticks and still teaches. They look so healthy and glow with the best of skins, the word hospital doesnt exist in their mind's dictionary. *boy you should see the way they look*.

I often ask them their secrets and they say
WE LIVE AS GOD CREATED HUMANS TO LIVE.(still trying to understand what they mean by that) mind you, they believe in God the Father of Jesus too and use the Holy bible like we do, yet they experience the bestof life while the opposite is the case for my immediate family. *expecting someone to tell me i dont have faith and i'll laff*

I can go on and on with instances, but then let me believe what you say that Pentecostal will only grow, maybe until another counter your claims. cheers bro!
Re: My Fear For Pentecostalism. . .will She Last? by Tonyet1(m): 1:24pm On Dec 08, 2010
Ladyrsky46:

Difference between protestanism and pentecostalism? undecided

Pencostals are Protestants, but not all Protestants are Pentecostals.
Re: My Fear For Pentecostalism. . .will She Last? by Tonyet1(m): 1:34pm On Dec 08, 2010
Joagbaje:

@TONYE-T
I was wondering if somebody else used your I.D. to post the thread. I don't subscribe the the name .PENTICOSTAL knowing it relates to Judaism . And it's used in error for the church. But having understanding about what they represent by it. THE HOLY SPIRIT. And his manifestations. It is unstoppable. It will eat up everything on it's way.until the church is perfected for the coming of christ.

lol @ my brother,

- no one used my ID. grin grin

- Penticostal relates to Judaism?
pls explain?

- Used in error for the church? pls explain? whatever happened to DIFFERS ADMINISTRATION in the body of Christ.

- Did you say the Holy Spirit will eat up everything on it's way?
pls explain. with reference to the biblical purpose of the coming of the "another comforter".
Re: My Fear For Pentecostalism. . .will She Last? by Tonyet1(m): 1:51pm On Dec 08, 2010
Joagbaje:

But some of the issues you raised will require clarification.

Issues raised are the ones that proves prevalent amongst the Pentecostal movement movement you and I both believe in.

Joagbaje:

There is nothing wrong in reverence and respect for ministers of God. It is purely scriptural. The bible say to "ESTEEM THEM HIGHLY FOR THEIR WORK SAKE"

Brother I quite agree with you there as i had that scriptures (1Thess. 5:13) in mind while making my assertion. Recall in my stance i didnt say they should not be esteemed highly, but what becomes of the fate of their institutions at their demise? You and I know that alot of assistances within our belief-system today are chosen on the ground that they share common interest in the lucre and not on the welfare of the faithfuls. true or false?

If true, so what then happens when these institutions are left on the hands of these greedy men. My stance exactly! bearing in mind the large calvary their institutions command amongst the faithfuls in Nigeria and the world at large today.

Joagbaje:

But those things you listed as flaws in the church is a little shocking. It is not a flaw to build a decent place of worship For God. God himself demanded the use of Gold and other things for his place of worship. It is a honour to the God we serve.

At the expense of the little livelihood of the faithfuls?
Re: My Fear For Pentecostalism. . .will She Last? by InesQor(m): 2:20pm On Dec 08, 2010
Tonye-T baba! grin
Re: My Fear For Pentecostalism. . .will She Last? by Zikkyy(m): 5:16pm On Dec 08, 2010
Interesting piece from The Clown.

The Clown:

And if you think pentecostalism you know today would be the same in ten years to come, you are in for a shock. Pentecostalism would continue to change and change like it has always done. 

Very true, the Pentecostal movement is constantly evolving.

The way I see it, the movement of the future will continue to be influenced by the ever changing needs/priorities of its members, which in turn is influenced by the societal demands/pressures. Let’s not forget the creativity/motivation of its leaders as well.

The Clown:

penticostalism is based on personal perception of the Bible alone. No doctrine, no strict regulations, no laid down traditions, no established organisation that is superior to its founder, not even a formal training is strictly required. Men would rise up and interprete the bible the way that suits them, the way they want to believe it, like it has started already. 

I find this bit quite interesting, and true. This is probably where the ‘old school’ or orthodox churches practices differ from ‘Penteconstalism’. The ‘old school’ churches do well here, agreed they have been quite slow responding to societal changes as a result having all this in place. While their mode of worship might not fully reflect or meet modern day societal standards, it's the reason they survived for centuries to this day.

The Pentecostal movement appear to be lacking here, the apparent lack of tradition, strict regulations, e.t.c  does have some advantages as it allows for much flexibility and the church easily adapts and change with society. But it also have its side effect; instead of the church shaping societal norms/values, it very likely that the Pentecostal movement will end up being influenced by what society have to offer. Why? because the movement easily adapts and wants to remain relevant. We are already seeing evidence of this (prosperity gospel for example), and it’s likely to continue. Where it takes the movement? I don’t know. But I am not so sure it’s in a direction you would like, Tonye-t.
Re: My Fear For Pentecostalism. . .will She Last? by nuclearboy(m): 6:31am On Dec 09, 2010
T-T:

My understanding is that ALL men are fallible and I will not condemn them for that. But where someone tries to make themselves larger than life, special and above others, we will use their own conception of themselves to judge them. Sort of like "with the merciful, I will be merciful etc". But I'm not here to argue with you.

The "judgment", "condemn" thing - you it is who got it wrong since I was stating why OTHERS seemed suprised at your post. My own suprise was to see you sober about this matter and for that, Iasked clarification. Now you have explained, its ok.
Re: My Fear For Pentecostalism. . .will She Last? by Tonyet1(m): 6:05pm On Dec 09, 2010
lol @ InesQo. . .baba sounds more like someone addressing OBJ. . .hope i aint handsome like him? grin grin grin
Re: My Fear For Pentecostalism. . .will She Last? by Tonyet1(m): 6:11pm On Dec 09, 2010
Another disturbing trend. . .Desire for the Extraordinary

The many problems associated with fringe charismatic groups stem from one root – a lust for the sensational. Biblical truth is not enough for the typical Pentecostal. There must be more. As a result we are always looking for something new. Caring little about doctrine, proper exegesis or biblical integrity – these are just not spiritual enough. All we want is more anointing. . .more power. . .more visions. . .revelations – or any semblance of such – genuine or fake. I think Eve was the first Pentecostal.

I read ust recently in Trinidad (2000), a particular minister was being heralded from the most renowned pulpits in the country. He had allegedly inherited a multi-billion dollar fortune, and had promised to give financially to churches. As a result some pastors were giving assurances that “there would be no more poor people in Trinidad”, and “When the Hindus see how much money there is in Christ, they would not be able to remain Hindu”. When I first heard of him, the very first thought that entered my mind was “What is this guy really up to?” Time would authenticate my suspicions. This pastor subsequently lured some of the more affluent members of other churches, and formed his own congregation of “elites”. Nothing ever materialized of his alleged fortune. He eventually spent some time in jail and is awaiting trial for fraud.

Why do these things happen to Pentecostals over and over again? Aren’t we supposed to be the discerning ones? The truth is that we are so naïve and backward, that any charlatan could utter bombastic claims, and we would accept it without checking the facts and scrutinizing the whole story.

Time keep failing me over here!
Re: My Fear For Pentecostalism. . .will She Last? by PastorAIO: 8:11pm On Dec 09, 2010
Tonye-t:

Another disturbing trend. . .Desire for the Extraordinary

The many problems associated with fringe charismatic groups stem from one root – a lust for the sensational. Biblical truth is not enough for the typical Pentecostal. There must be more. As a result we are always looking for something new. Caring little about doctrine, proper exegesis or biblical integrity – these are just not spiritual enough. All we want is more anointing. . .more power. . .more visions. . .revelations – or any semblance of such – genuine or fake. I think Eve was the first Pentecostal.

I read ust recently in Trinidad (2000), a particular minister was being heralded from the most renowned pulpits in the country. He had allegedly inherited a multi-billion dollar fortune, and had promised to give financially to churches. As a result some pastors were giving assurances that “there would be no more poor people in Trinidad”, and “When the Hindus see how much money there is in Christ, they would not be able to remain Hindu”. When I first heard of him, the very first thought that entered my mind was “What is this guy really up to?” Time would authenticate my suspicions. This pastor subsequently lured some of the more affluent members of other churches, and formed his own congregation of “elites”. Nothing ever materialized of his alleged fortune. He eventually spent some time in jail and is awaiting trial for fraud.

Why do these things happen to Pentecostals over and over again? Aren’t we supposed to be the discerning ones? The truth is that we are so naïve and backward, that any charlatan could utter bombastic claims, and we would accept it without checking the facts and scrutinizing the whole story.

Time keep failing me over here!

You're talking as if these things are new developments. Have these things not always been the case? Has it always been the case that you (plural, not you specifically) have been so 'naive and backward, that any charlatan could utter bombastic claims', and you would accept.
Re: My Fear For Pentecostalism. . .will She Last? by Joagbaje(m): 8:20pm On Dec 09, 2010
@tonye-T
Tonye-t:

Issues raised are the ones that proves prevalent amongst the Pentecostal movement movement you and I both believe in.

I don't belong to Pentecostal movement. But I believe in the holy spirits and his manifestations.

Quote from: Joagbaje on Yesterday at 07:16:45 AM

Brother I quite agree with you there as i had that scriptures (1Thess. 5:13) in mind while making my assertion. Recall in my stance i didnt say they should not be esteemed highly, but what becomes of the fate of their institutions at their demise? You and I know that alot of assistances within our belief-system today are chosen on the ground that they share common interest in the lucre and not on the welfare of the faithfuls. true or false?[color]

What forms your opinion on this? Are you talking about your own church or another church? As far as am concerned , You Should know more about your church than the system of another. If you're talking about your own church system, your assertion is still subject to be judged by the Word of God.

But if you're dealing with other churches or another church, you may not have the right to judge that because you don't know their system or Gods instruction to them.you can only observe from outside. And assume whatever.

[color=#000099]If true, so what then happens when these institutions are left on the hands of these greedy men. [/b]My stance exactly! bearing in mind the large calvary their institutions command amongst the faithfuls in Nigeria and the world at large today.

What make them greedy, I would love us to be specific in issues like this. Don't just say "POLICE MEN ARE CORRUPT". Which police man are you dealing with and what did he do?. Let us analyse such detail in the light of the scriptures. So that we don't put ourselves in the danger of judgement of God.

You once said you gave a pastor friend "punch" across his face. And you detailed the circumstances. So you should be precise here too.  

Quote from: [b]Joagbaje on Yesterday at 07:16:45 AM

At the expense of the little livelihood of the faithfuls?

When people give to God ,are they at a disadvantage? Or they are blessed?What type of building do you recommend for the place of worship. And how do you rate Moses tabernacle of Moses and the temple of solomon. When God himself designed a structure with precious material. Should churches look like juju shrines ?  [quote][/quote]
Re: My Fear For Pentecostalism. . .will She Last? by InesQor(m): 11:19pm On Dec 09, 2010
Tonye-t:

lol @ InesQo. . .baba sounds more like someone addressing OBJ. . .hope i aint handsome like him? grin grin grin
Hahahaha @Tonye-T.

On a serious note, we both have foundations in this (permit me to call it what I call it nowadays) recent move of fast-food Christianity.

This is what the Lord of Truth says about Truth

Jeremiah 29:13
You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.

I haven't found all the truth yet, but these are very good questions you have begun to ask as well. May you find, Amen.

Stay blessed.
Re: My Fear For Pentecostalism. . .will She Last? by Joagbaje(m): 6:41am On Dec 10, 2010
@InesQor
InesQor:

On a serious note, we both have foundations in this (permit me to call it what I call it nowadays) recent move of fast-food Christianity.

This is what the Lord of Truth says about Truth
I haven't found all the truth yet, but these are very good questions you have begun to ask as well. May you find, Amen.

I'm not trying to be insultive o, but I think you are yet to find a foundation. Why did you get all these anger and abuse of yours from? And you seem to be very proud of it. The fruit of the spirit is love.

And what kind of Christianity do you have now?
Re: My Fear For Pentecostalism. . .will She Last? by Enigma(m): 11:45am On Dec 10, 2010
A side comment on a tangent from the main issue based on reading the quote below:

I don't subscribe the the name .PENTICOSTAL knowing it relates to Judaism . And it's used in error for the church.

A distinction should be drawn between the Jewish "Pentecost" and the Christian Pentecost. The Jews celebrate/d a harvest festival also called Shavuot roughly 50 days after the Passover and Exodus ---- importantly to commemmorate the day that the law was given to the Jews ('physical' Israel) to mark them out as a people chosen/committed to God under that law.

"Coincidentally" the Christian Pentecost falls around 50 days after Easter (i.e. after Jesus' resurrection); the Holy Spirit was given to Christians on the day that the physical Israel celebrated the giving of the law whereas on that day the Holy Spirit was given to Christians on that day to mark Christians out as a people ("Spiritual Israel"wink chosen/committed to God but under and by the Spirit rather than under/by the law.

Thus Christians worldwide who are not part of the "Pentecostal movement" are happy to celebrate Pentecost and give thanks to God for Pentecost. Pentecost could in a sense be rightly described as the birth of Christianity.
Re: My Fear For Pentecostalism. . .will She Last? by Tonyet1(m): 5:35pm On Dec 10, 2010
@AIO,

Pastor AIO:

You're talking as if these things are new developments. Have these things not always been the case? Has it always been the case that you (plural, not you specifically) have been so 'naive and backward, that any charlatan could utter bombastic claims', and you would accept.

To say "these things have been the case" would be more like generalizing the movement to have been faulty from its origin. . .that i may not quite agree.

Because:

The advent of the pentecostal movement in Nigeria during the late 70's especially with the Assemblies of God brought much of a message of peace and Love to a dying people groping in pains and hatred. The Chrisitianity i witnessed practised by this movement at that time (*though not a member yet*) was something more of
"study and practise" and not "preach to practise" like we have it today, although an average member today will still argue that the former is still the case. . .this is very untrue!

During that time the faithfuls were saved, groomed, and taught the value of building the inner man. Folks paid no attention on what to put on, or even on the magnificience of edifices. The Nigerian early Christians were taught to practise the word within themselves and live the Christ-life outside, better put THEY LOVED EVERYONE BUT MADE FRIENDSHIP AMONGST THEMSELVES ONLY such that the unbelieving could see true radiations of affections and want to join the movement.

When they(unbelievers) eventually join, they needed no one to teach them how to love because they already knew what true affection was alabout though still babes, doctrines were still maintained and characteristics of the movements marked hallmarks. When someone repented he/she was taught to go back and make peace with everyone and by that extend the
"affectionate message" and the winning continues *this to me was the true essence of Christainity*.

Today:

Later into the early 90's some profound MOGs as we'll call them, soon started mixing charismatism into the transparent substance and then the true movement begun her dearth albeit slowly. . .questionable acts crept in and settled unquestioned. . .lucre, materialism, lust became the order of the day, faithfuls were cajoled for being poor and messages from pulpits came forth: "poverty is a disease, therefore poor folks are victims".

Now one could stop and expect things will get better with time and the true message will find her way back, but opposite is what I see. Every year I join concerned faithfuls to pray but it seems the case is only getting worse.

Digress: And if someone thinks "tithing" of which i remain a staunch is one vice of this movement. . .that my friend I'll say is wrong!
Re: My Fear For Pentecostalism. . .will She Last? by Tonyet1(m): 5:54pm On Dec 10, 2010
Joagbaje:

@tonye-T
I don't belong to Pentecostal movement. But I believe in the holy spirits and his manifestations.

And our usual gymnastics continues. . .pls take the time and contrast the attributes of the Pentecostal Movement and the belief-system Christ Embassy stands for.

Joagbaje:

What forms your opinion on this? Are you talking about your own church or another church? As far as am concerned , You Should know more about your church than the system of another. If you're talking about your own church system, your assertion is still subject to be judged by the Word of God.

your own church. . .my own church. . .his own church. . .her own church. . .their own church. . .and the division continues and the faith suffers from internal perpetriators who knows the sheep will rather choose to remain silent and unpertubed. Joe my good brother the quest remains that : DO YOU THINK THE MOVEMENT THAT BELIEVES IN THE WORKS OF THE HOLY SPIRIT WILL MAINTAIN ITS ESSENCE COME 10YRS from NOW?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Abraham Was A Pagan / What Is Doro? Who Is Doro? / Money Drawing Soap And Oil

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 129
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.