Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,286 members, 7,807,971 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:35 AM

5 Things You Should Never Say In A Job Interview - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 5 Things You Should Never Say In A Job Interview (45287 Views)

Things You Should Not Say In A Job Interview / Never Put These 5 Things On Your CV When Applying For A Job In Nigeria / 7 Outrageous Things You Should Never Say In An Interview (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Things You Should Never Say In A Job Interview by PatrickOkunima(m): 6:44am On Jan 20, 2020
Due to my vast HR background, I have had the privilege of partaking in over a dozen recruitment exercises. Honestly, it’s pretty fun when you’re on the other side of the table. For a moment, you feel the euphoria wash over you. The hot seat, on the other hand, isn’t a fun experience. Sometimes, you might need to come with an extra handkerchief to combat the sweats.

As a candidate, there is a lot of pressure, a lot to remember. I have been in that hot seat, and I know what it takes to come out in one piece. In this article, I want to share some reg flags candidates often gave off during the process. These are things that, when said, cut down on your chancing of getting the job. Are you ready?

1. I Don’t Have Any Questions

In the court of law, silence is synonymous to pleading guilty. When you remain mute or refuse to ask a question, you become too close and reserved for the employer to read. At the end of the interview, we often ask candidates if they have any questions. We are merely trying to assess the candidate’s intellect and capacity further. Most of the time, candidates flop with the usual, “I don’t have any question.” Please, ask as many questions as possible. Try to learn more about the company, the role, and the team. But don’t get too overboard!

2. I Don’t See Myself Working Here In The Next Five Years

Naïve and inexperienced candidates often detonate this bomb in the interview room without knowing. As pathetic as it might sound, they often spew it with so much alacrity and pride. Why would I employ you when you’re uncommitted? You might have big career aspirations. Even if you’re staying for six months, you don’t need to tell your employer. Also, you can never know the magnitude of growth this very opportunity might offer. Among the things you should never tell your potential employer, this should be at your top list. Once you say it, forget the job!

3. What Does The Company Do?

Now, that is a huge red flag. The hiring manager expects you to know the ins and outs of the company. When you’re giving the floor to ask questions, never ask what the company does. You’re supposed to know. Your potential employers would see you as unprepared and incompetent. You might have soared excellent in every stage of the interview; this question alone is enough to disqualify you.

4. “I Don’t Know. (Full Stop)”

Most candidates often say this when bombarded with a question they can’t answer. There are lots of ways to handle a problem, without flaunting your weakness on the face of your interviewer. Instead of saying you don’t know, consider surrounding your “don’t know” with what you know. By saying you don’t know, it is like submitting a blank exam sheet to your lecturer. You’re probably getting a zero. But when you scrabble around, you still will be awarded a mark even though you made no sense. The same rules play in the interview room. Never say, “I don’t know” to your employer.

5. A Lie

Never lie to your employer! You know why? They always find out the truth. If you should find out how the company digs on you, you won’t even lie about the toothpaste you use. One lie is an enormous red flag. No company wants to hire a liar. Instead of lying, say the truth no matter how it hurt. Honesty always prevails and shows you off as trustworthy.

Wrapping Up!

To better understand how the interviewer sees, envision yourself in that other seat. Imagine if it is your company and you’re looking for the best talent. What are the things a candidate would say, and it will be a huge turn off? The more you can get into the mind of your potential employer, the better chance you have at getting the job. Good Luck!

https://patrickokunima.com/5-things-you-should-never-say-in-a-job-interview/

33 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 5 Things You Should Never Say In A Job Interview by PatrickOkunima(m): 6:45am On Jan 20, 2020
The list is not exhaustive. Kindly add yours, if you know any other thing one should not say at an interview.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: 5 Things You Should Never Say In A Job Interview by xamuel17(m): 6:50am On Jan 20, 2020
connection speaks volumes , no need for long talk

56 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 5 Things You Should Never Say In A Job Interview by PatrickOkunima(m): 6:58am On Jan 20, 2020
xamuel17:

Connection plays a critical role in employment, not only in Nigeria. But that does not mean that those without connection cannot get jobs. With this mindset, one will not even get the jobs that do not require any form of connection.

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 5 Things You Should Never Say In A Job Interview by TheSourcerer: 8:04am On Jan 20, 2020
I don't know ,is I don't know
If you say something that you don't know then you're lying

16 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Should Never Say In A Job Interview by PatrickOkunima(m): 9:49am On Jan 20, 2020
TheSourcerer:
I don't know ,is I don't know
If you say something that you don't know then you're lying

i don't know sounds daft to me. I'll prefer a response like this, "I have little knowledge of that, but very familiar with (something close to the original answer, something you know in toto). " Followed by explanation on the one you know.

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Should Never Say In A Job Interview by BusolaDakolo: 10:52am On Jan 20, 2020
xamuel17:
Don't mind them. Imagine a friend, a political science graduate, asking me how he could get federal government job without connection. I just laughed and said: "you need to start a small business while waiting for a job that might never come".

4 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Should Never Say In A Job Interview by DemigodZeus147(m): 11:02am On Jan 20, 2020
They asked if I had a question..... I said yes, and I asked "When am I joining the team? " lol....They all laughed.....

They made the offer shaa, but the money been low ,had to take another job offer, which later ended. Inside life angry

53 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 5 Things You Should Never Say In A Job Interview by PatrickOkunima(m): 12:01pm On Jan 20, 2020
grin. You must be a very confident person. Not everyone has the guts.
DemigodZeus147:
They asked if I had a question..... I said yes, and I asked "When am I joining the team? " lol....They all laughed.....

They made the offer shaa, but the money been low ,had to take another job offer, which later ended. Inside life angry

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Things You Should Never Say In A Job Interview by Authoreety: 12:06pm On Jan 20, 2020
Ok,
Re: 5 Things You Should Never Say In A Job Interview by 9jamag(m): 12:06pm On Jan 20, 2020
On point...

Are you in need of a professional, effective & affordable Website Design for your business or organization? See my signature to contact us today.
Re: 5 Things You Should Never Say In A Job Interview by opalu: 12:06pm On Jan 20, 2020
Okay thanks
Re: 5 Things You Should Never Say In A Job Interview by Nobody: 12:07pm On Jan 20, 2020
hmmmmm

I have a 5bedroom duplex for in wuse2 for sale at 285million, mind my signature if you have interest
Re: 5 Things You Should Never Say In A Job Interview by shamkay(m): 12:07pm On Jan 20, 2020
Noted

Thank you
Re: 5 Things You Should Never Say In A Job Interview by meccuno: 12:07pm On Jan 20, 2020
DemigodZeus147:

grin grin

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Should Never Say In A Job Interview by PlaysNigeria: 12:07pm On Jan 20, 2020
Monday!!!

2 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Should Never Say In A Job Interview by tophumble(m): 12:08pm On Jan 20, 2020
Good information.
It will be helpful
Re: 5 Things You Should Never Say In A Job Interview by realstars: 12:10pm On Jan 20, 2020
Why we are having high rate ostensibly unemployment is that, most people are using the number 4.
Re: 5 Things You Should Never Say In A Job Interview by izzy4shizzy(m): 12:10pm On Jan 20, 2020
This life ehn, na wetin be your own be your own...you go do all this things, answer question correctly but who go get the job no even come interview,

As e be, if your sheet go white, if you like drink one gallon of red oil, e go still white

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Should Never Say In A Job Interview by izzy4shizzy(m): 12:10pm On Jan 20, 2020
Half of the things most people say in interviews are lies

Why? Cos lies sells the most
Re: 5 Things You Should Never Say In A Job Interview by Angelfrost(m): 12:10pm On Jan 20, 2020
"...Never lie to your employer!"

The above actually made me laugh... This is why I find it hard to take most of these posts serious. grin

You guys find it so hard to separate idealism from reality!!!

23 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Should Never Say In A Job Interview by milkyworld(m): 12:11pm On Jan 20, 2020
Good info. Happy job hunting everyone...
Re: 5 Things You Should Never Say In A Job Interview by Jossyroyal1: 12:11pm On Jan 20, 2020

We are not even getting the interviews this days

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Should Never Say In A Job Interview by pahoehoe: 12:11pm On Jan 20, 2020
During an interview, do not be the one to ask them how much they can pay. Click on the links on my signature.

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Should Never Say In A Job Interview by todaynewsreview: 12:12pm On Jan 20, 2020
Good one

Buy your BEDC Prepaid Meters (Bills) within minutes. See my signature for more
Re: 5 Things You Should Never Say In A Job Interview by JeffreyD1(m): 12:12pm On Jan 20, 2020
Thanks for sharing

I still de find job first

Please read below

My name is Jeffrey and I am based here in Abuja please everyone I am looking for any job related to
Receptionist,
Sales Representative,
Office Assistant,
Car for Uber/bolts Driving,
Driver job,
Computer front desk staff, or any job relating to my O'level educational background. I have my SSCE and my computer certified certificate. I'm in my 20s and strong enough to do anything and do it well. Though I am here in Abuja ready to relocate anywhere if the job is not around here as long as accommodation will be provided. Help a brother with a job, please. Thanks and God bless you as you reply.

Here is my number 0903 075 3981

3 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Should Never Say In A Job Interview by handsomeyinka(m): 12:12pm On Jan 20, 2020
DON'T EVER TELL YOUR EMPLOYER THAT YOU LIVE IN IKORODU BECAUSE OF TRAFFIC ELSE YOU WON'T BE HIRED.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Should Never Say In A Job Interview by Offpoint: 12:13pm On Jan 20, 2020
Op your number 2 contradict your number 5 fah...

Just be yourself and don't cram what you want to say... that's all.
Re: 5 Things You Should Never Say In A Job Interview by Longman180(m): 12:14pm On Jan 20, 2020
which job self,you mean dis Nigeria or another country tongue
Re: 5 Things You Should Never Say In A Job Interview by OakConsultNG: 12:14pm On Jan 20, 2020
Interesting..

Meanwhile, register your Business, Church and Company with the CAC at discounted prices. Check our signature and page for more details.

Offer lasts for a limited period only.
Re: 5 Things You Should Never Say In A Job Interview by jonesky080(m): 12:19pm On Jan 20, 2020
great information

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job / Thread For Recent Not-So-Advertised Jobs In Nigeria (Lagos Mainly) / Federal Government Survival Fund Congratulation Message

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.