Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,149 members, 7,807,488 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:08 PM

I Am A Little Worried About An Interview I Just Attended. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Am A Little Worried About An Interview I Just Attended. (830 Views)

Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. / Words To Avoid Using During An Interview / Pot-Bellied Nigerian Police Officers: Police Commission Worried (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Am A Little Worried About An Interview I Just Attended. by usman3688(m): 4:33pm On Jan 20, 2020
I went for an interview last week and in the course of the interview I was asked when I could resume to which I replied March 1 which will make it 6 weeks from the day of the interview. When I got home and was discussing with someone about it he said the time I gave was too far that I should have given say two weeks or 1 month at most now I'm a bit worried about getting called for the job. Also I told them I would like to take double of what I am currently earning when they asked how much I wish to earn and they never bargained nor objected against what I said. It's a dream job that I hope I land cos the pay if they accept is really mouth watering and could be the beginning of a good life for me. And again to the question of if I could work anywhere, I told I could work anywhere in the country.
Please guys do u think I have a good chance of landing this job. Your candid opinion is needed and can I call them to confirm the status of the job if I don't get a call from them soon. Thank you guys.
Re: I Am A Little Worried About An Interview I Just Attended. by LOGOBELT: 4:57pm On Jan 20, 2020
You made two mistakes :

1. Telling them you want to earn double of what you currently earn, thats a poor reply for such interview question.

2. The time frame you gave them is too far...how could you say march? So the job should keep waiting for you till March? You aren't ready to work yet.

The probabilities that the job will wait for you is 30-70%, 30% it will wait, 70% it will not wait... Lets bring bet9ja in...

Job Wait vs Job Not Wait

Odds : Win - Draw - Win
3.22 - 0.78 - 6.00
: 9.00
NG : 1.00
Ov 0.5: 1.64
Un 0.5: 8.36

If you like forecast... Use bet tips, soccerpunter, to predict if the Job is yours or not.

Dont forget to give us the correct score by march

Thank you

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am A Little Worried About An Interview I Just Attended. by uzedo1(m): 5:07pm On Jan 20, 2020
The time you gave was too long.

However, the company might still wait for you, if you've got what they are looking for..

In addition, I don't see the salary as an issue.

1 Like

Re: I Am A Little Worried About An Interview I Just Attended. by Orlaoluwayimika(m): 5:18pm On Jan 20, 2020
I don't think u made any mistake by stating when u would b available if they want u to resume earlier than that, they would ve asked but since u weren't asked, u shldnt be worried.

My fear is just ur salary negotiation saying they didn't negotiate further is what I think u shld be scared of cos if dey were interested in u, u expect them to ve negotiated further but some coys don't usually negotiate further they just send u an offer letter and if u ain't pleased with there offer, they expect u to reject it or spring up further negotiation.

All the best.
Re: I Am A Little Worried About An Interview I Just Attended. by usman3688(m): 6:23pm On Jan 20, 2020
Orlaoluwayimika:
I don't think u made any mistake by stating when u would b available if they want u to resume earlier than that, they would ve asked but since u weren't asked, u shldnt be worried.

My fear is just ur salary negotiation saying they didn't negotiate further is what I think u shld be scared of cos if dey were interested in u, u expect them to ve negotiated further but some coys don't usually negotiate further they just send u an offer letter and if u ain't pleased with there offer, they expect u to reject it or spring up further negotiation.

All the best.

Thanks for ur comment. Regarding the pay, from the advert is says the pay will be quite attractive and from where I currently work I feel I'm being underpaid something I would have told them if they had asked me or bargained. And regarding the time I gave, I don't want to start work and start taking excuses that's y I gave them that time so I can concentrate fully. I spoke to one of my former bosses on the issue a d he said I shi9not bother about the time I gave them that if I am meant to get the job they will call me.

1 Like

Re: I Am A Little Worried About An Interview I Just Attended. by CrazyMan(m): 7:52pm On Jan 20, 2020
usman3688:
I went for an interview last week and in the course of the interview I was asked when I could resume to which I replied March 1 which will make it 6 weeks from the day of the interview. When I got home and was discussing with someone about it he said the time I gave was too far that I should have given say two weeks or 1 month at most now I'm a bit worried about getting called for the job. Also I told them I would like to take double of what I am currently earning when they asked how much I wish to earn and they never bargained nor objected against what I said. It's a dream job that I hope I land cos the pay if they accept is really mouth watering and could be the beginning of a good life for me. And again to the question of if I could work anywhere, I told I could work anywhere in the country.
Please guys do u think I have a good chance of landing this job. Your candid opinion is needed and can I call them to confirm the status of the job if I don't get a call from them soon. Thank you guys.
For me the only error you made was telling them you want a double of your current salary...that's too much.

As for the resumption date, you're currently working and I believe they're aware of it. Some compaines in their staff handbook state clearly that staffs should give a month notice to the company piror to their resignation.

Since we're in the last week of January a month from now would be February ending so resuming March is quite normal from a logical view.

Also telling them you can work from anyway in the country is also a plus...most candidates frown at volatile states. Therefore giving them a green light on that area should cover up for your error of asking for a double pay if the company in question has branches across the country.

Finally, don't bug them, if they want you they'll contact you. Your credentials are with then. Contacting them shows desperation.

Good luck.

2 Likes

Re: I Am A Little Worried About An Interview I Just Attended. by Orlaoluwayimika(m): 9:37pm On Jan 20, 2020
usman3688:

Thanks for ur comment. Regarding the pay, from the advert is says the pay will be quite attractive and from where I currently work I feel I'm being underpaid something I would have told them if they had asked me or bargained. And regarding the time I gave, I don't want to start work and start taking excuses that's y I gave them that time so I can concentrate fully. I spoke to one of my former bosses on the issue a d he said I shi9not bother about the time I gave them that if I am meant to get the job they will call me.

Just like I said ur choice of date of resumption ain't a problem at all and since you know u re underpaid in ur current role and this promises to pay beta, then u ve not done anything wrong just keep hoping 4 d best
Re: I Am A Little Worried About An Interview I Just Attended. by MrBrownJay1(m): 4:35am On Jan 21, 2020
mistake #1 telling them you want to earn twice as much for doing exactly the same job, without telling them WHY you deserve that much..... you should have said:" as i am probably going to become the best worker your firm ever had, it is fair to ask for a decent salary, which would definitely be a bargain compared to what i would bring to your firm"

mistake #2 telling them you wanna start in March without telling them why such a long waiting period.... what you should have said is:"i want to start in march so i can give my current employer enough time to find a replacement and not just leave them without proper notice.... which would be very unprofessional from my part."

1 Like

Re: I Am A Little Worried About An Interview I Just Attended. by usman3688(m): 8:37am On Jan 21, 2020
CrazyMan:

For me the only error you made was telling them you want a double of your current salary...that's too much.

As for the resumption date, you're currently working and I believe they're aware of it. Some compaines in their staff handbook state clearly that staffs should give a month notice to the company piror to their resignation.

Since we're in the last week of January a month from now would be February ending so resuming March is quite normal from a logical view.

Also telling them you can work from anyway in the country is also a plus...most candidates frown at volatile states. Therefore giving them a green light on that area should cover up for your error of asking for a double pay if the company in question has branches across the country.

Finally, don't bug them, if they want you they'll contact you. Your credentials are with then. Contacting them shows desperation.

Good luck.

Your comment is really encouraging which shows u r very positive minded person. The location where I think I will be working is either adamawa or nasarawa states any of which I will be OK with so long they pay what I'm asking, anything short of what I'm asking I won't accept seriously cos it's a very demanding/challenging job and also they know the company I currently work for and they r actually in competition with that company so hopefully all things being equal I'll get a call soon.

2 Likes

Re: I Am A Little Worried About An Interview I Just Attended. by usman3688(m): 8:41am On Jan 21, 2020
MrBrownJay1:
mistake #1 telling them you want to earn twice as much for doing exactly the same job, without telling them WHY you deserve that much..... you should have said:" as i am probably going to become the best worker your firm ever had, it is fair to ask for a decent salary, which would definitely be a bargain compared to what i would bring to your firm"

mistake #2 telling them you wanna start in March without telling them why such a long waiting period.... what you should have said is:"i want to start in march so i can give my current employer enough time to find a replacement and not just leave them without proper notice.... which would be very unprofessional from my part."

About the money I'm asking, when I told them they never objected or even asked y I want to earn such so I guess they r OK with it or they will just send me their offer and see if I will accept it or not and number two when I told them March they didn't ask my reason for giving them such a long time cos they I currently work somewhere and I'll need time to properly resign. I'm just waiting to hear from them and make my decision.

2 Likes

Re: I Am A Little Worried About An Interview I Just Attended. by Giftyglam: 10:25am On Jan 22, 2020
Well, you made quite a number of mistakes, but then, we can't undo what has been done, and in your case, I'd just advise you keep a positive spirit and pray...
Let's hope for the best..

(1) (Reply)

Learn Copywriting, SOP Writing And Technical Writing / British Chevening Scholarships / Opening A Gift Shop

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.