Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,854 members, 7,802,739 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:26 PM

Sorry To Say, The Nigerian Government Is Better Than The Nigerian People - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sorry To Say, The Nigerian Government Is Better Than The Nigerian People (16613 Views)

Atedo Peterside: Tinubu Was Wrong To Say The 2023 Election Is The Best ever / Sorry To Say This; Peter Obi Will Lose This Election, I Have No Doubt On This / Ortom To Channels TV - If You Don't Want Me To Say The Truth, Don't Invite Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sorry To Say, The Nigerian Government Is Better Than The Nigerian People by SoulB6: 7:19am On Jan 21, 2020
I commend the sensible people commenting on this topic, I really appreciate your efforts, one day we will have the Nigeria of our dream, I learned a lot

2 Likes

Re: Sorry To Say, The Nigerian Government Is Better Than The Nigerian People by RealMillennial(m): 7:21am On Jan 21, 2020
AceRoyal:

Most people act the way they do because they see how power drunk government officials are and tend to follow their example unconsciously in their everyday lives once given a bit of power or when they find themselves in positions of power because they feel it's the right thing to do based on glaring examples.

Most of the things you wrote up there can be attributed to one major factor.... POVERTY!

Is the government not directly and indirectly responsible for the prosperity or poverty of a nation?

Exactly. @AceRoyal got it right.

This, right here, is the progression.

Yes our people have a bad disposition toward others and an extractive nature in the business and workplace. But this pattern has an origin.

It's no news that colonialism did us a number. But we've had six decades of opportunity to recover from that and build a prosperous society for all. How did we fail? Leaders.

The frustration we see on the streets everyday is directly linked to the frustration the people have received from a failed leadership for generations. I'm not here to justify bad character, I'm just saying, knowing Nigeria's history, it's only natural tendency that we have ended up where we are now.

Evils of leadership gave rise to the overwhelmingly evil society we have today, not the other way round.

And to be honest, the ability to give the situation a bird's-eye view and reason it with understanding and desire change (like you're doing here) is only possible with sound education. Do I need to add how the leadership has failed us in that aspect too?

This is a hot topic for me and is hardly exhaustible in an online discussion so I'll leave it here.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sorry To Say, The Nigerian Government Is Better Than The Nigerian People by zanogo(m): 7:24am On Jan 21, 2020
anonimi:

Don't you think that our values changed as we became more focused on foreign things and abandoned our own culture, tastes and religion as tagged them bad, dirty, condemn-able?
it is not that our culture is that perfect, there are many loopholes in most African cultures that western influence eliminated systematically, I am a pure Yoruba but I still think that the high rate of ritual killings in our region is due to that option available in the Yoruba traditional system, which is a thing of sadness for me, there are many factors that changes peoples value other than westernization, In Nigeria, inability to access the basic necessities of life is a big influence.

1 Like

Re: Sorry To Say, The Nigerian Government Is Better Than The Nigerian People by AreaFada2: 7:25am On Jan 21, 2020
Rosskii:
Very good points by the OP.

Country of government blamers. My favourite is ''we don't manufacture common toothpicks'', the implication being it's the govt's fault.

Pray, is it govt's job to build toothpick factories?

Or is it your job as a member of the private sector?

What stops you from starting a toothpick manufacturing business in your backyard, if you notice there's a gap in the market, leading to importation of same?
Much easier to blame Buhari, or blame ''Nigeria'', and sit on your fat asss.
Dude, govts with foresight and vision across the globe enacted laws, enforced them and created the enabling environment for investment, industrialisation and rapid development.

China is a very recent example. The private sector was even small and govt banks financed much of the growth. But their govt had the right vision for the system they run. And we can all see the result.

While blaming govt for everything may not be right, it;s still the most guilty party. Because it has the public purse and the MDAs, the security services, control of the NASS as the ruling party also having majority there to pass laws and other state apparatuses. To provide viable economic policies, ensure security, rule of law, provide infrastructure (road, rail, seaports/airports, electricity, etc}, fight corruption and many more.

Let 90% of corrupt people from private and public sector irrespective of party affiliation, tribe or religion be convicted successfully and sent to jail for 10 years or more see if corruption won't go down drastically.

No way you can exonerate or even mitigated the failure of govt in Nigeria since 1960.
Re: Sorry To Say, The Nigerian Government Is Better Than The Nigerian People by Nobody: 7:25am On Jan 21, 2020
U DON'T SEE AMERICANS AS FRUSTRATING AS NIGERIANS

YOU DON'T SEE AUSTRAINS AS FRUSTRATING AS NIGERIANS

SOMEONE SAID BEFORE THE CIVIL WAR IGBOS ARE NOT MONEY MONGERS BUT AFTER THE CIVIL WAR THEY CHANGED

AND I SAID THERE YOU HAVE YOUR ANSWER IF YOU'RE A DEEP THINKER

YOU CAN'T BE LOVING AND CARING WHEN YOU PROVIDE EVERYTHING FOR YOURSELF AND FAMILY EVEN SOMETHING AS LITTLE AS ELECTRICITY, WATER, HOSPITAL AND GOOD ROADS

WHAT WE CALL ADVANCED HOSPITAL IN NIGERIA IS ONLY A CLINIC A WORKING ENTITY

NOW HOW MANY NIGERIANS CAN AFFORD A THAT HOSPITAL WHEN THEY ARE SICK

EVEN OVER THE COUNTER DOCTORS ABROAD ARE 80% BETTER THAN FEDERAL/ GOVERNMENT HOSPITALS

A TYPICAL NIGERIAN SUFFERS TWICE THE ANXIETY OF POTUS IN SITUATION ROOM ALMOST EVERYDAY OF THEIR LIFE

IT HAS EVEN EVOLVED THEIR REASONING, THEY NOW THINK OVER ANXIETY AND SUFFWRING IS NORMAL WAY OF LIFE

THEY CAN DIFFERENCIATE ANYMORE BETWEEN WHO IS TRYING TO SAVE THEM AND WHO IS EMPOVERISHING THEM

NIGERIA IS A SIN AGAINST HUMANITY

SHE FEED US EVERYDAY WITH BREAST OF SUFFERING AND THE SUFFERING HAS CHANGED OUR REASONING.... WE DON'T KNOW WHAT WRONG OR RIGHT ANYMORE

4 Likes

Re: Sorry To Say, The Nigerian Government Is Better Than The Nigerian People by anonimi: 7:29am On Jan 21, 2020
zanogo:
it is not that our culture is that perfect, there are many loopholes in most African cultures that western influence eliminated systematically, I am a pure Yoruba but I still think that the high rate of ritual killings in our region is due to that option available in the Yoruba traditional system, which is a thing of sadness for me, there are many factors that changes peoples value other than westernization, In Nigeria, inability to access the basic necessities of life is a big influence.

What is the role of properly calibrated education and sensitisation in all these?
There were ritual killings (not for money/wealth) and the worship of diverse gods in Europe and the Middle East as documented in their history books and the Bible so how did they move away from all that?

1 Like

Re: Sorry To Say, The Nigerian Government Is Better Than The Nigerian People by Dentalgist: 7:33am On Jan 21, 2020
dominique:
Truth of the matter, a lot of Nigerians are BAD
That has always been my point. Trust Nigerians, they will spiritedly argue that they are not bad despite ominous signs and actions
Re: Sorry To Say, The Nigerian Government Is Better Than The Nigerian People by adanny01(m): 7:34am On Jan 21, 2020
OruExpress:
And this goes for all governments including Buhari's.

Ask yourself why state workers are the only workers in Nigeria that at guaranteed minimum wage, benefits and vacation, while everyone else is not 100% sure they will be paid for years of work in the private sector. Unless of course they find a job with a foreign company in Nigeria, but at that point what is the differentiating factor other than working for a Nigerian. The rest of us, if we can find work, are subject to nepotism, rape, beatings, humiliation, degradation, insults, to the point that the average Nigerian is employed be someone who treats them worst than an enemy ever could.

This example is small. Buhari is wicked, incompetent, and lawless. But does this differ from the average pastor, iman, lecturer, police officer, husband or even parent? Anytime the greater bulk of Nigerians are given authority, the concentrate their energy on making others feel less than or trapped. At least Buhari is looking out for Fulani people all over West Africa. Who can the average wheelbarrow pusher tell you he's looking out for? What the little authority he has as a wheelbarrow pusher he will hit as many legs as possible, and argue with anyone that objects to the pain. He will damage people's clothes and frustrate them to that small but consistent extent that he can. If you give this person an army and oil budget, what will he do? The woman that beats and degrades her 'house girl' (slave) at every given chance... what will this person do if asked to tend an entire country of poor people?

As much as we want to blame the government for Nigeria's problems, the truth is we excel at creating pain and frustration for each other. Countless Nigerian homes are staffed with fathers who's income begins with their hand and ends with their stomach alone. Many parents cannot keep valuables in their house because their own children will steal it. Most pastors, when given a chance to speak will focus on creating animosity and paranoia from their followers. The hear more prophecies than all of the prophets combine, and declare and decree more than Jesus ever did. Go to a Nigerian church and all you will hear is 'binding' 'devil' 'fire' 'blood' 'destroy' 'rebuke' 'hate' 'steal your destiny' 'die, die, die'. Then after hearing this bloodthirsty sermon for four hours, a person will emerge from that church filled with the spirit of division and conflict, which he or she (usually she) will call 'the holy spirit'. Go to church anywhere else and you will walk out with new insights on life and a hopeful feeling. Go to Nigeria and someone has buried your destiny in the sand and must die. And don't let me start with the imams.

So what will it be? I cannot ask everyone to change Nigeria, and this is only a post on a forum so I don't expect to do miracles. But please, whatever authority you have in your personal life, and the authority you will soon gain, please be humane to the people around you. Whether you're the person with the wheelbarrow or the next president, live a life that makes life a blessing.

You made sense before you used Buhari as an example the way you did. I stopped reading from there.

Buhari is not a saint, at least he gets somethings right. I was nodding in agreement with you until it turn into a Buhari displeasure display.

From the way you wrote, you don't even have the right to condemn Nigerians or Buhari for that matter if you are not an exemplary personality. If you need equity, you need to have clean hands.
Re: Sorry To Say, The Nigerian Government Is Better Than The Nigerian People by NawtyC001(m): 7:38am On Jan 21, 2020
Rosskii:

Country of government blamers. My favourite is ''we don't manufacture common toothpicks'', the implication being it's the govt's fault.

What stops you from starting a toothpick manufacturing business in your backyard, if you notice there's a gap in the market, leading to importation of same?

Wetin you sef don dey manufacture?

And you don't even know your point differs from the OP's..
Think before you post,not the other way round.
Thanks!

Re: Sorry To Say, The Nigerian Government Is Better Than The Nigerian People by TheRealestGuy(m): 7:40am On Jan 21, 2020
GeneralShepherd:
I agree with you to an extent especially about treating people around us with respect and dignity.

However, I completely disagree that the Nigerian government is better than the people. Humans are very impressionable and learn from people in positions of authority.

High-handness, brutality and the use of force as seen in Nigerians can be traced to years of military rule. Even democracy has not even dented those years of conditioning.

Why do you think every rich Nigerian drives around with a convoy blaring sirens? Surely you can drive in a convoy with security silently.

About worker's rights, do you realise that the government should be implementing and enforcing laws that protect people. Humans are naturally selfish, mostly and thus a lawless country will always breed social vices and chaos.

Our governments past and present are failures and the problems of Nigeria rests squarely on their shoulders.

Don't blame us wey dey suffer

The OP is trying to be right, but he is wrong.

Every corporation, company or body is always an extension of it's leaders' characters, outlook and disposition, aka body language.
Re: Sorry To Say, The Nigerian Government Is Better Than The Nigerian People by blackboy(m): 7:42am On Jan 21, 2020
The suit themselves.
Re: Sorry To Say, The Nigerian Government Is Better Than The Nigerian People by galadima77(m): 7:42am On Jan 21, 2020
AreaFada2:

Dude, govts with foresight and vision across the globe enacted laws, enforced them and created the enabling environment for investment, industrialisation and rapid development.

China is a very recent example. The private sector was even small and govt banks financed much of the growth. But their govt had the right vision for the system they run. And we can all see the result.

While blaming govt for everything may not be right, it;s still the most guilty party. Because it has the public purse and the MDAs, the security services, control of the NASS as the ruling party also having majority there to pass laws and other state apparatuses. To provide viable economic policies, ensure security, rule of law, provide infrastructure (road, rail, seaports/airports, electricity, etc}, fight corruption and many more.

Let 90% of corrupt people from private and public sector irrespective of party affiliation, tribe or religion be convicted successfully and sent to jail for 10 years or more see if corruption won't go down drastically.

No way you can exonerate or even mitigated the failure of govt in Nigeria since 1960.

Infrastructure, utility, security; those basic things are now fairy tales
Re: Sorry To Say, The Nigerian Government Is Better Than The Nigerian People by adanny01(m): 7:43am On Jan 21, 2020
AceRoyal:
I understand you points and perspective BUT
Are you saying the government is different from the people?
Are you trying to subtly exonerate the government?

A fish gets rotten from the head and not the other way round.
The masses have a share in the blame but the government has the greater share.

While you drive home your point in castigating the people, be fair and do same to the government.

Most people act the way they do because they see how power drunk government officials are and tend to follow their example unconsciously in their everyday lives once given a bit of power or when they find themselves in positions of power because they feel it's the right thing to do based on glaring examples.

Most of the things you wrote up there can be attributed to one major factor.... POVERTY!

Is the government not directly and indirectly responsible for the prosperity or poverty of a nation?

The government is by no means better than the people, they're worse because their actions and inactions reflect in the lives of the people and gives credibility to the points you have raised.

Nice piece though.

With regards to the fish analogy, democracy is government of the people, by the people and for the people. Government is about the people. If the people are corrupt, the government will be corrupt. If the government are corrupt and the people are not, the people will not allow the government to exist.

In this case, the fish is Nigeria, the people is the head not the government. The government is the organs of the fish that.
Re: Sorry To Say, The Nigerian Government Is Better Than The Nigerian People by zanogo(m): 7:43am On Jan 21, 2020
anonimi:

What is the role of properly calibrated education and sensitisation in all these?
There were ritual killings (not for money/wealth) and the worship of diverse gods in Europe and the Middle East as documented in their history books and the Bible so how did they move away from all that?
The vikings practiced blood eagle, the king of Dahomey, ghezzo was buried with 800 slaves when he died, after 1500 slaves demanded couldn't be met, all these are forms of ritual but are not meant to produce money, but the one we are witnessing in the country is exclusively money oriented, reduce the poverty rate and see a sharp decrease in ritual killings and other vices, do you know the ripple effect of uncurbed crime, I can name an area in ibadan where 60% of young boys engage in yahoo. in as much we want to shy away from it, the government is a major player to turn things around, let us start by fixing our power sector and see how things can change rapidly.
About the role of proper education and sensitization, it is a gradual process, I think our educational system is not flexible, it is more of one way traffic, but about sensitization, a lot can be done but to convince people to drop their evil ways , you must provide a practical alternative.

1 Like

Re: Sorry To Say, The Nigerian Government Is Better Than The Nigerian People by TheRealestGuy(m): 7:44am On Jan 21, 2020
Rosskii:

You're just being dodgy!

Have you ever tried establishing a business in Nigeria?

Maybe when you have you will come back to your senses.

The government sets the tone and direction for the whole country via a vis policies and initiatives but our leaders have failed woefully in these regards.

Are you sure you understand how a country's economy works?

1 Like

Re: Sorry To Say, The Nigerian Government Is Better Than The Nigerian People by Studyinchina200(m): 7:45am On Jan 21, 2020
Most Nigerians are wicked people.
Re: Sorry To Say, The Nigerian Government Is Better Than The Nigerian People by Nobody: 7:48am On Jan 21, 2020
galadima77:

hahahaha

If we start giving examples of corruption personified, you'd feel like shifting time.

Everyone seems guilty though

Everyone IS. Any exceptions are so rare as to be negligible.
Re: Sorry To Say, The Nigerian Government Is Better Than The Nigerian People by SenecaTheYonger: 7:50am On Jan 21, 2020
RisenPhoenix:

And in your view, who is going to do the teaching when the adults themselves are beyond repair?

Oh lord, we are truly fvked shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: Sorry To Say, The Nigerian Government Is Better Than The Nigerian People by anonimi: 7:57am On Jan 21, 2020
zanogo:
The vikings practiced blood eagle, the king of Dahomey, ghezzo was buried with 800 slaves when he died, after 1500 slaves demanded couldn't be met, all these are forms of ritual but are not meant to produce money, but the one we are witnessing in the country is exclusively money oriented, reduce the poverty rate and see a sharp decrease in ritual killings and other vices, do you know the ripple effect of uncurbed crime, I can name an area in ibadan where 60% of young boys engage in yahoo. in as much we want to shy away from it, the government is a major player to turn things around, let us start by fixing our power sector and see how things can change rapidly.
About the role of proper education and sensitization, it is a gradual process, I think our educational system is not flexible, it is more of one way traffic, but about sensitization, a lot can be done but to convince people to drop their evil ways , you must provide a practical alternative.

With the way our minds are and our priorities, don't you think that the power would be used for enjoyment and partying instead of productive work?

1 Like

Re: Sorry To Say, The Nigerian Government Is Better Than The Nigerian People by Shattuck(m): 7:57am On Jan 21, 2020
its wrong to assume that nigerians cannot change their attitude, if the military can condition our minds to be fearful of them or the police to be scared of them, whenever we see them why can't they do it for a good cause.with good and decisive leadership you can change the mindset of an average nigerian, in saner climes you can argue with a military officer but in Nigeria you can't even wear a camouflage, when you see an officer there is an element of fear whether guilty or not,now imagine if that same element of fear we have for those security operative is had for the law,by both the citizens and the politicians,in nigeria we fear the military men or the police officers who abuse power,in China and other developing nations they fear the law.
Re: Sorry To Say, The Nigerian Government Is Better Than The Nigerian People by somehow: 8:06am On Jan 21, 2020
Gradually people are waking up

What you see up there is a testament to what is down here.
Bad government is a reflection of the people.

1 Like

Re: Sorry To Say, The Nigerian Government Is Better Than The Nigerian People by DNSPro: 8:11am On Jan 21, 2020
Rosskii:

It is my grand father's fault that we dont have constant power supply.

Is your sperm they will use to operate the machines for the toothpicks?

Our mast for telecom is powered by diesel and we still expect to get cheap data and airtime rates? Is it my ancestors fault too?

Some of you need serious beating offline.

You have never ran a business but you come online to talk nonsense.

1 Like

Re: Sorry To Say, The Nigerian Government Is Better Than The Nigerian People by beardedboy(m): 8:14am On Jan 21, 2020
Ladycewhy:
The fish gets rotten from the head . All what we experience today started from the government,if it will end ,the govt will still be the ones to end it. This corruption started taking shape in the 70s,the govt knows how it started and how to end it.

Firstly, Nigeria isn't a fish. Also not all decay start from the head. Have you heard of necrolysis? It can start from the leg especially if caused by a snake bite.

Secondly, did the government teach policemen and agencies to collect bribe?
Re: Sorry To Say, The Nigerian Government Is Better Than The Nigerian People by AceRoyal: 8:14am On Jan 21, 2020
adanny01:

With regards to the fish analogy, democracy is government of the people, by the people and for the people. Government is about the people. If the people are corrupt, the government will be corrupt. If the government are corrupt and the people are not, the people will not allow the government to exist.

In this case, the fish is Nigeria, the people is the head not the government. The government is the organs of the fish that.

I understand you sir! smiley
Re: Sorry To Say, The Nigerian Government Is Better Than The Nigerian People by Liposure: 8:15am On Jan 21, 2020
dominique:
Truth of the matter, a lot of Nigerians are BAD
good morning ma
Re: Sorry To Say, The Nigerian Government Is Better Than The Nigerian People by AceRoyal: 8:17am On Jan 21, 2020
m140:

Will you the same for a house
The head of a house(home) always gets the better part of the blame first in any situation before other members of the family.
Atleast that's how I was brought up in an African home.
Re: Sorry To Say, The Nigerian Government Is Better Than The Nigerian People by Liposure: 8:17am On Jan 21, 2020
D govt is as bad as d people
Re: Sorry To Say, The Nigerian Government Is Better Than The Nigerian People by Nobody: 8:26am On Jan 21, 2020
SenecaTheYonger:

Oh lord, we are truly fvked shocked shocked

Oho. You get the picture.
Re: Sorry To Say, The Nigerian Government Is Better Than The Nigerian People by seanwilliam(m): 8:31am On Jan 21, 2020
zanogo:
o.p, I used to think like this, but wait, it is more than this, there is a level of poverty that is compatible with the human soul, we have passed that level, most Nigerians are facing naked poverty ( penury ) . At this stage conscience is killed for survival, good upbringing is discarded for a plate of food etc it has never been this bad. extreme poverty is a direct or remote factors in ways Nigerians behave, that is why most poor people called to serve at any level would see it as a poverty escape route.
When I was younger, people in my area usually ostracize anybody with questionable character or source of income cos the poverty rate then was relatively low making people follow morals and asking the right questions but someone not sure of what to eat would seer his conscience involuntary, this is not rocket science, to escape poverty, we have to make ourselves better and do things in different way but the bulk of the work lies in the hand of the government to create a conducive environment for the populace. .........Person wey dey hungry no dey listen to preaching.
you are 17th most intelligent due I've seen on nairaland.please take note of the number

1 Like

Re: Sorry To Say, The Nigerian Government Is Better Than The Nigerian People by TemmyT002(m): 8:34am On Jan 21, 2020
Humans, irrespective of religion, status, tribe, are the problems of the world and other humans.
It is very true that Nigerians are worst that any Nigerian governments.
The late Sonny Okosuns sang about it.
Re: Sorry To Say, The Nigerian Government Is Better Than The Nigerian People by Reference(m): 8:36am On Jan 21, 2020
The definition of government is simply a group of people chosen to organise the rest of society around common values. That is the simple answer. One cannot be better than the other speaking of leadership and citizenship qualities. Nigeria is the way it is because of the aggregate values of all Nigerians.

I will give you classic examples: Today we've had a European football manager for a number of years. It hasn't caused our football fortunes to be anywhere near any typical European country. The gains made are at best superficial.

Our economic mainstay, oil and gas has been in the hands of the west for a generation in termss of development, that is prospecting and production. It hasn't made this country nor the oil and gas industry viable, sustainable or profitable to the country over the decades. Countries that have bought our oil for decades are even better of.

This shows that leadership, ownership or whatever is overrated. It is the quantum of values a society projects that defines its sucesses and failures.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Lawan, Akpabio: Supreme Court Lambasts Kperogi, Faceless Groups / FG Has Fulfilled 90% Of Labour's Demands - Labour Minister (state), Onyejeocha / 2015: Governors, Ministers, Opt For Foreign GSM Lines

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.