Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,255 members, 7,807,878 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:21 PM

Tony Momoh: Why Buhari Won't Intervene In Oshiomhole, Obaseki Crisis - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tony Momoh: Why Buhari Won't Intervene In Oshiomhole, Obaseki Crisis (15900 Views)

Edo: 14 Rebel Lawmakers Have Realised They Were Deceived By Oshiomhole – Obaseki / Oshiomhole: Obaseki Sacked The Only Commissioner I Nominated In His Cabinet / Buhari Wades Into Oshiomhole, Obaseki Feud (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tony Momoh: Why Buhari Won't Intervene In Oshiomhole, Obaseki Crisis by nairavsdollars(f): 8:40am On Jan 21, 2020
Temidayo Akinsuyi, Lagos

Prince Tony Momoh, a former Minister of Information and one of the national leaders of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) in this interview with TEMIDAYO AKINSUYI, speaks on latest developments in the polity and the political impasse in his home state of Edo. Excerpts:

What is your position on the raging controversy surrounding Operation Amotekun which has been declared as illegal by the Federal Government?

The fact is, in every society where you have due process, that due process must be followed for peace to reign. But where the need not to follow due process arises, then the terms for not following it must be agreed upon by all the parties. In the case of Amotekun in the South- West, there is the need for looking at the principles of how the child of necessity is born. A child of necessity is born when you are confronted with issues which due process cannot resolve.

Police is on the exclusive list but policing is not on the exclusive list. Policing is the duty of everybody who lives in a society. And this policing is done at all levels, where you look at what your neighbour is doing and frustrate him in doing it or call him to order. There are 97,000 communities in Nigeria and we grow up in age groups. Age groups are responsible for policing in Nigeria. They may not be members of the Police Force but they supervise policing at different levels, especially at organised levels.

So, Amotekun is a policing effort which should be seen as an attempt to tackle the problems of insecurity in the South-West and indeed, all over the country. For instance, the police force is there but the need to maintain peace in a place like Katsina made the governor to be so humiliated that he had to negotiate with bandits, and these bandits in turn gave him terms for cooperating; the same thing with Zamfara. In other words, it is a slap in the face of security agencies for a government to be reduced to the level of negotiating with bandits and kidnappers who are more armed than the security forces. So, if you have an outfit like Amotekun, which I recommend for all the regions in Nigeria, within three months, we will attend to the problems of kidnapping, armed robbery and other vices all over the country because there is no armed robber who is not known in a community. I believe the structure of Amotekun should not threaten the existence of the Nigerian Police which is on the exclusive list. But as a policing body, at the level of the regions, I think the fear of those who are worried now should be allayed that Amotekun is a good initiative which should be done in all parts of the country.

Do you think the Attorney-General and Minister of Justice , Abubakar Malami (SAN) is wrong by declaring it illegal?

The Minister is only referring to the law; that is Police is on the exclusive list but like I said, policing is not. He is the chief law officer of the country and he looks at the law in arriving at his decisions. So, I will advise the Minister to also look at the threats that insurgency is causing to the Nigerian polity. The whole of Nigeria must be thoroughly and effectively policed at the federal, state, local government and community levels.

President Buhari recently said most of the projects being undertaken by his administration are projects that should have been done by previous administrations. Do you agree with him?

Of course, I agree with him. If Buhari had come in as President when he first contested in 2003, Nigeria would have been different today. He tried to become President three times but he never succeeded until the fourth time. He once told me that he thought corruption and indiscipline is at the level of the elites but when he came in, he discovered that it was at the top with the elites, people at the middle, people at the bottom and even with people below the bottom. For instance, they said I should hit the road running but the whole road is full of mines. So, how do I start? If I start hitting the road running as they said, I will be blown up by the mines. I told him and said ‘You have to start somewhere and do it gradually’. And so he started by fighting corruption, tackling insurgency and also addressing the challenges in the economy. It is a gradual recovery progress but nobody can say that we are not recovering. Look at the Enugu-Onitsha road; look at Second Niger Bridge, the rail projects and so on. Since Independence in 1960, we have not improved on our rails; it is only now that we are doing that. Look at the trillions of dollars that was spent on electricity by previous administrations. Where is the power supply today? Benin-Abuja road was paid for about two to three times and the money was shared. Ask yourself, what happened to the money that was budgeted to fight the Boko Haram insurgency? It was also shared. A lot is being done by Buhari and these are projects that should have been done years ago by previous administrations which were abandoned.

You once stated that the Governor of Edo state, Godwin Obaseki is the leader of the APC in the state but we understand some leaders of your party are not happy with what you said. What is your reaction to that?

What I said is a fact and I don’t care what people say about what I said. I know the workings of the party. In Kano, Shekarau was one of those who packaged the APC and when Kwankwaso joined us from Kano and the leadership of the party in Kano was given to him, Shekarau was very angry and he left the APC to PDP. The person who is in charge of the state is the governor; he has access to funds and so he organises and funds the party structure. Go to all the states, it is the governor who is in charge of the party. Oshiomhole was our governor for eight years in Edo state and during those period, he was the leader of the party. When there was a disagreement between Oshiomhole and the chairman of the party in Edo state on one hand and Chief John Odigie Oyegun the national chairman on the other hand, we called them together and settled them and Oshiomhole as the leader of the party in Edo state by virtue of his position as governor had the upper hand. Even now, Oshiomhole is not competing for the leadership of Edo APC with Governor Obaseki. There is no competition between them. Oshiomhole is the national chairman of the APC while Obaseki is the governor of Edo state and the leader of APC in Edo state. There has never been any argument about that.

You once said the APC may lose Edo if the crisis continues, are you still holding to that view?

I haven’t changed my position on that. All I’m saying is that if both parties, that is supporters of Oshiomhole and Obaseki fight themselves to the point of primary, it means whoever wins the primary will lose the support of the other because they may work for the opposition and eventually, APC will lose. If that happens, what both of them are fighting for will belong to another person.

The Oba of Benin has visited President Buhari asking him to intervene in the crisis. Why has the President not intervened?

Elders in Edo state have tried to resolve the issue and they will continue to try. Even if the President comes today and say both of them should sheathe swords, who says they will? I don’t know whether people see what I’m seeing. When it comes to a stage where people want to flex muscles, we should let them box. When a child is going near fire and you hold him, he will be crying as if you are depriving him of something good. Let the child touch the fire, next time, nobody will advise him not to go near the fire again. Look at what happened to us in Zamfara and Rivers. When you have these kinds of struggles, at the end of the day, like Ozumba Mbadiwe used to say ‘when the come comes to become, then we shall know who can win or who loses.

https://www.independent.ng/no-competition-between-obaseki-oshiomhole-over-leadership-of-edo-apc-tony-momoh/

1 Like

Re: Tony Momoh: Why Buhari Won't Intervene In Oshiomhole, Obaseki Crisis by Dreal1247: 8:57am On Jan 21, 2020
Most of the times, the words spoken tend to pose challenge against the speaker. Oshomole once said that he was destroying godfatherism in Edo State. But he never mentioned that he was to be the god father. Now he wants to be one. The words are now staging a formidable resistance against him and. Unfortunately, he is not quick to understand what is on the ground for the moment.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tony Momoh: Why Buhari Won't Intervene In Oshiomhole, Obaseki Crisis by Emekuslala1: 8:58am On Jan 21, 2020
Z
Re: Tony Momoh: Why Buhari Won't Intervene In Oshiomhole, Obaseki Crisis by hisexcellency34: 9:57am On Jan 21, 2020
The earlier he accepts Obaseki as his boss, the better for him

Dreal1247:
Most of the times, the words spoken tend to pose challenge against the speaker. Oshomole once said that he was destroying godfatherism in Edo State. But he never mentioned that he was to be the god father. Now he wants to be one. The words are now staging a formidable resistance against him and. Unfortunately, he is not quick to understand what is on the ground for the moment.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tony Momoh: Why Buhari Won't Intervene In Oshiomhole, Obaseki Crisis by Nobody: 10:25am On Jan 21, 2020
“When come comes to become then we shall know who wins or lose”

Since Obaseki wan flex muscle because of second term and shuaibu ambition also..let’s see who wins

3 Likes

Re: Tony Momoh: Why Buhari Won't Intervene In Oshiomhole, Obaseki Crisis by Dbullofficial: 10:37am On Jan 21, 2020
Trust those people at your own peril. They have their silent agenda

6 Likes

Re: Tony Momoh: Why Buhari Won't Intervene In Oshiomhole, Obaseki Crisis by TechWows: 10:37am On Jan 21, 2020
AmotekunUnited:
Today: Amotekun massive Demonstrations holding in 6 Yoruba States, Post Updates here. Don't wait until herdsmen get you or your family member, every Yoruba should join the Protest now or the Amotekun wsp group for update by checking https://amotekun.design.blog/2020/01/21/amotekun/
Thanks so much, I've already checked and joined.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tony Momoh: Why Buhari Won't Intervene In Oshiomhole, Obaseki Crisis by dukie25: 10:37am On Jan 21, 2020
Before nko? Obaseki is leader of APC in Edo state. In fact I heard Oshiomhole has been suspended for anti party activities.
Re: Tony Momoh: Why Buhari Won't Intervene In Oshiomhole, Obaseki Crisis by Kwamecron(m): 10:38am On Jan 21, 2020
We don’t want him to intervene.

He can’t even av full control of Aso Rock.

How do u think bubu av such time.

Nigeria is run buy cabals.

Just say the cabal will not way in
Re: Tony Momoh: Why Buhari Won't Intervene In Oshiomhole, Obaseki Crisis by ainas247: 10:38am On Jan 21, 2020
Na their Problem, make Baba focus on more important problems

Dominate Google page 1 with your business
website. chat up
Re: Tony Momoh: Why Buhari Won't Intervene In Oshiomhole, Obaseki Crisis by Mopolchi: 10:39am On Jan 21, 2020
Don't be f00led. Buhari will intervene and definitely sides with Oshiomhole

4 Likes

Re: Tony Momoh: Why Buhari Won't Intervene In Oshiomhole, Obaseki Crisis by JosephXavier: 10:39am On Jan 21, 2020
Buhari can't say anything because a life of a Fulani is not involved. It has nothing to do with islamization agenda.

6 Likes

Re: Tony Momoh: Why Buhari Won't Intervene In Oshiomhole, Obaseki Crisis by TallPck1(m): 10:40am On Jan 21, 2020
In as much as I don't support Oshiomole I think Obaseki is an ingrate and knows nothing about politics.

Who knows Obaseki before he was governor, he was hand picked by his boss and has turned to bite the finger that feed him. He is two sided man, he comes online to spill shit about Oshiomole but would go back to present him bags of rice and cows as gift. Foolish politicians. When your subjects are hungry.

Lastly Buhari would definitely support Oshiomole because he has won alot of state for APC during his tenure as the party Chairman. Obaseki can go to hell.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tony Momoh: Why Buhari Won't Intervene In Oshiomhole, Obaseki Crisis by MANNABBQGRILLS: 10:41am On Jan 21, 2020
Question :
President Buhari recently said most of the projects being undertaken by his administration are projects that should have been done by previous administrations. Do you agree with him? 

Answer :
Of course, I agree with him. If Buhari had come in as President when he first contested in 2003, Nigeria would have been different today for the best

If only our Democracy back in 1999 started with a man like President Muhammadu Buhari,
unfortunately it started with thieves, looters and fraudsters!

But all hope is not lost,
we are in a safe hand as a nation.
Slow and steady we will get to a New and better Nigeria.
Thank God Daddy is in the helms of affairs now.
It could have been worse!

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Tony Momoh: Why Buhari Won't Intervene In Oshiomhole, Obaseki Crisis by Kwamecron(m): 10:41am On Jan 21, 2020
Oshobaba just need to anoint a Muslim Edo son,

Den u see how the Aso rock cabal support him like honey bee.

U guys have no idea what Nigeria has turn into!!!

1 Like

Re: Tony Momoh: Why Buhari Won't Intervene In Oshiomhole, Obaseki Crisis by donprinyo(m): 10:43am On Jan 21, 2020
Lazy minds everywhere
Re: Tony Momoh: Why Buhari Won't Intervene In Oshiomhole, Obaseki Crisis by SultanOfAbia: 10:43am On Jan 21, 2020
Forget U.S and Iranu matter
World World 3 na Amotuken vs Herdsmen

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tony Momoh: Why Buhari Won't Intervene In Oshiomhole, Obaseki Crisis by mytime24(f): 10:43am On Jan 21, 2020
General Bubu

d law maker
Re: Tony Momoh: Why Buhari Won't Intervene In Oshiomhole, Obaseki Crisis by Factfinder1(m): 10:48am On Jan 21, 2020
Buhari only intervains in Fulani matters

1 Like

Re: Tony Momoh: Why Buhari Won't Intervene In Oshiomhole, Obaseki Crisis by Xisnin(m): 10:49am On Jan 21, 2020
Because he is not aware.
Re: Tony Momoh: Why Buhari Won't Intervene In Oshiomhole, Obaseki Crisis by anonimi: 10:51am On Jan 21, 2020
ainas247:
Na their Problem, make Baba focus on more important problems

More important problems like his trip to London and his activities in the other room?
Abeg, shift make I see road. undecided angry

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4366161_screenshot201610161215121_png6b921c69aa799ae6ed76b0ef3840686f

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4909216_fbimg1487676221357_jpeg9280d73cd889b20dbd83498084c93a59

1 Like

Re: Tony Momoh: Why Buhari Won't Intervene In Oshiomhole, Obaseki Crisis by OgogoroNo2: 10:52am On Jan 21, 2020
Abeg na them sabi joor
Re: Tony Momoh: Why Buhari Won't Intervene In Oshiomhole, Obaseki Crisis by StarUp: 10:52am On Jan 21, 2020
Their names both starts with the letter "O", therefore make them allow them fight.
Re: Tony Momoh: Why Buhari Won't Intervene In Oshiomhole, Obaseki Crisis by frndfghtr(m): 10:53am On Jan 21, 2020
B
Re: Tony Momoh: Why Buhari Won't Intervene In Oshiomhole, Obaseki Crisis by Formularcr7: 10:54am On Jan 21, 2020
Nigeria is blessed with buhari!
Re: Tony Momoh: Why Buhari Won't Intervene In Oshiomhole, Obaseki Crisis by hisexcellency34: 10:54am On Jan 21, 2020
Sorry to disappoint u. He has anointed Ize-Iyamu, a pastor

Kwamecron:

Re: Tony Momoh: Why Buhari Won't Intervene In Oshiomhole, Obaseki Crisis by Simplebeauty: 10:54am On Jan 21, 2020
grin
Re: Tony Momoh: Why Buhari Won't Intervene In Oshiomhole, Obaseki Crisis by anonimi: 10:55am On Jan 21, 2020
Kwamecron:

We have an idea- barawo bubu has turned it into the Fulani Republic of Naijeriya, FRN where cows are kings and more valuable than human life. shocked

[img]https://1.bp..com/-_spEZ7TwEzU/XRF8uDxWQJI/AAAAAAADR7I/gPwLfreuV1AGnnOpWLdknSIxhfvR5szUgCLcBGAs/s400/Fulani-Herdsmen-and-Militia-1.jpg[/img]

www.nairaland.com/attachments/10298038_fulaniherdsmen3_jpeg_jpegdc9161024ce17379324f1094eec2e1d2

2 Likes

Re: Tony Momoh: Why Buhari Won't Intervene In Oshiomhole, Obaseki Crisis by FA13(m): 10:56am On Jan 21, 2020
KyzerTrigg:
[s][/s]

Dont bother yourself about the guy...

He is doing what he has been paid or brainwashed to do.
He cannot be reasoned with.

They are discussing how to destroy godfatherism which is a canker worm in our politics, he rather talks of voting in the general in 1999.

Our conditions would have been unimaginable if that was done due to cluelessness of this administration.
Re: Tony Momoh: Why Buhari Won't Intervene In Oshiomhole, Obaseki Crisis by AreaFada2: 10:59am On Jan 21, 2020
post=85981200:

[/b]
If only our Democracy back in 1999 started with a man like President Muhammadu Buhari,
unfortunately it started with thieves, looters and fraudsters!

But all hope is not lost,
we are in a safe hand as a nation.
Slow and steady we will get to a New and better Nigeria.
Thank God Daddy is in the helms of affairs now.
It could have been worse!
The same Buhari who committed treason by overthrowing a democratic govt in 1983? He would have been shot if the coup failed. So Buhari is one of the worst people by undermining the democratic choice of Nigerians in 1983.

Spare us the old yarn of he didn't take part in the coup. The person slated to take over after a coup does not take part physically in a coup. IBB was at home in Minna when BUHARI was overthrown in 1985. Same with Murtala Mohamed when he overthew Gowon in 1975.
Re: Tony Momoh: Why Buhari Won't Intervene In Oshiomhole, Obaseki Crisis by younglleo: 11:01am On Jan 21, 2020
As if Buhari gives a f*ck about these bullshit.. He don't even knw anything that happuns

(1) (2) (Reply)

Incitement And The 2023 Polls - Segun Awosanya (Segalink) / Retreat Of PDP National Leaders And State Party Chairmen (Photos) / Why The Next Election In Ekiti Will Be The Most Competitive In Nigeria(Reasons)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.