Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,342 members, 7,808,205 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:40 AM

Nigerian Convicted Faking Marriages For Us Citizenship - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Convicted Faking Marriages For Us Citizenship (2067 Views)

US Green Card, US Citizenship And Employment In Nigeria: Confusion / I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa / Nigerian, Others Bag Us Citizenship For Dying In Iraq (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Convicted Faking Marriages For Us Citizenship by Omenani(m): 1:26am On Dec 08, 2010
Nigerian convicted faking marriages for US citizenship

HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A Nigerian native has been stripped of U.S. citizenship after he was convicted of brokering sham marriages so other Nigerians can obtain the American citizenship.

Ibraheem Adeneye's U.S. citizenship was revoked during his sentencing hearing on Monday after a jury convicted him in May of conspiracy to commit marriage fraud, naturalization fraud, making a false statement to a federal agency and marriage fraud, according to a U.S. Department of Justice statement. He now faces deportation upon his release from federal custody.
Immigration and Customs Enforcement and Homeland Security officials began investigating Adeneye in 2008 after becoming suspicious that he was paying U.S. citizens to marry Nigerian nationals and help them get them U.S. citizenship.

Detectives contacted Adeneye through an ex-spouse and used an undercover agent to broker a sham marriage with him. Adeneye then arranged a marriage ceremony at the Harris County courthouse three days after the undercover detective and a Nigerian acquaintance met. County officials were aware of the investigation, so the fraudulent marriage wasn't performed.

During the investigation, detectives that Adeneye's own marriage to his ex-spouse from 2002 through 2007 was fraudulent, and that they never actually lived together. His spouse applied for U.S. citizenship and during the naturalization process, Adeneye lied to authorities about them being married and living together for three years.
The jury convicted Adeneye on May 7 after 45 minutes of deliberation, following a four-day trial. He remained in federal custody until Monday's sentencing hearing.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=7829035
Re: Nigerian Convicted Faking Marriages For Us Citizenship by Dsense(m): 1:36am On Dec 08, 2010
I don't know when this rubbish is going to stop , . . . . . .
Re: Nigerian Convicted Faking Marriages For Us Citizenship by Blazay(m): 1:41am On Dec 08, 2010
What rotten luck.
Re: Nigerian Convicted Faking Marriages For Us Citizenship by oge4real(f): 1:53am On Dec 08, 2010
Nigerians and visa by force syndromme.
Re: Nigerian Convicted Faking Marriages For Us Citizenship by DapoBear(m): 1:55am On Dec 08, 2010
Poor luck, but also poor decision making. The who situation is dicey. A guy with a fake marriage being involved in the fake marriage trade?

I dunno why people are so greedy. You managed to get the citizenship, by hook and crook. Why not do legitimate work and business to avoid trouble?

This country is very easy to thrive in if you just avoid doing dangerous things. Even his fake marriage, they'd never have found out about it if he had kept his nose clean.

With all that said, I feel very bad for him and wish things had turned out differently  undecided
Re: Nigerian Convicted Faking Marriages For Us Citizenship by Abagworo(m): 1:57am On Dec 08, 2010
it is good for him to be back in Nigeria.There is no place like home.Why do we act like Nigeria is the worst place on earth?
Re: Nigerian Convicted Faking Marriages For Us Citizenship by Dsense(m): 2:06am On Dec 08, 2010
^^^What you saying is totally wrong . . .READ THE STORY AGAIN!
Re: Nigerian Convicted Faking Marriages For Us Citizenship by aljharem(m): 2:20am On Dec 08, 2010
Abagworo:

it is good for him to be back in Nigeria.There is no place like home.Why do we act like Nigeria is the worst place on earth?

are u in nigeria
Re: Nigerian Convicted Faking Marriages For Us Citizenship by DisGuy: 2:23am On Dec 08, 2010
This guy will be in here in a couple of months, mouthing off about how he returned to nigeria to contribute to the development of our dear nation while you lot slaving away in Oyinbo land tongue

I dont think americans sentence offenders to months in prison, starts from years. . damn!!
Re: Nigerian Convicted Faking Marriages For Us Citizenship by Musiwa13: 2:38am On Dec 08, 2010
why dont nigerian learn a lesson .  why go into sham marriages, when you can have the real thing. I dont really understand how people can be heartless.

I dont see anything in living in the USA. I go there, but not to leave. i wonder why people go to this extend. You dont need citizen of a country to be happy. happy is inside of you.
Re: Nigerian Convicted Faking Marriages For Us Citizenship by Nobody: 2:44am On Dec 08, 2010
D-sense:

I don't know when this rubbish is going to stop , . . . . . .
It didn't start yesterday it wouldn't stop tomorrow (poor victims)
Re: Nigerian Convicted Faking Marriages For Us Citizenship by igbobuigbo: 3:17am On Dec 08, 2010
Is this strangerf? grin grin grin grin Lets see if he stops coming to nairaland? grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Convicted Faking Marriages For Us Citizenship by stranger: 8:45am On Dec 08, 2010
igbobuigbo:

Is this strangerf? grin grin grin grin Lets see if he stops coming to nairaland? grin grin grin grin

Strangerf, and stranger, and fstranger, and fstranger3, and fstranger2, and strangest is a bonafide US citizen, and he plans to come back home NOT anytime soon. I gots to make as much money as possible. When I come back home, I plan to give all Igbos $20 each. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Convicted Faking Marriages For Us Citizenship by ikeyman00(m): 9:45am On Dec 08, 2010
Is this man Ibraheem Adeneye's a Nigeria

that sound like gbatti ni to me no intention

someone correct me plz

disgrace ni
Re: Nigerian Convicted Faking Marriages For Us Citizenship by Dsense(m): 4:38pm On Dec 08, 2010
rokiatu:

It didn't start yesterday it wouldn't stop tomorrow (poor victims)
It wouldn't stop tomorow? . . . , .Pls let's pray it stops oo. . . , , .

(1) (Reply)

What Is Cpc Logo? / No Igbo President in future if you dont Remove Edo,delta And Yorubas(picture / Is President Goodluck Jonathan Corruption Free?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.