Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,338 members, 7,808,192 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:24 AM

The Biblical Jesus Referred To The Gentiles As 'dogs' - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Biblical Jesus Referred To The Gentiles As 'dogs' (4000 Views)

The Biblical Jesus Was Sent Only To The Lost Sheep Of Israel / What Did Paul Mean When He Referred To The "Lawless One" Also As "Man Of Sin"? / DEBATE: Pls Present All The Biblical Contradictions And Lies Here. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Biblical Jesus Referred To The Gentiles As 'dogs' by AntiChristian: 11:51am On Jan 21, 2020
The Biblical Jesus said...

Matthew 15:26
He replied, "It is not right to take the children's bread and toss it to their dogs."

The Jews used to use the word 'dogs' as a derogatory term in order to refer to the Gentiles. Christians argue back that Jesus only used this term because it was common language back at that time and so the woman would have known what Jesus was speaking about.
This is a pathetic excuse. Jesus should have come and abolished this silly practice of referring to Gentiles as 'dogs'. If he wanted to communicate to the lady regarding Gentiles, he could have simply said 'Gentiles' and she would have understood. He didn't have that to use that term and continue allowing this silly and offensive practice to continue.

Don't blame me if i call you a dog if i think you're a Gentile to me!

2 Likes

Re: The Biblical Jesus Referred To The Gentiles As 'dogs' by nlPoster: 11:56am On Jan 21, 2020
op why are you anti Christian?
Re: The Biblical Jesus Referred To The Gentiles As 'dogs' by glowingflame7: 5:35pm On Jan 21, 2020
AntiChristian:

He replied, "It is not right to take the children's bread and toss it to their dogs."

The Jews used to use the word 'dogs' as a derogatory term in order to refer to the Gentiles. Christians argue back that Jesus only used this term because it was common language back at that time and so the woman would have known what Jesus was speaking about.
This is a pathetic excuse. Jesus should have come and abolished this silly practice of referring to Gentiles as 'dogs'. If he wanted to communicate to the lady regarding Gentiles, he could have simply said 'Gentiles' and she would have understood. He didn't have that to use that term and continue allowing this silly and offensive practice to continue.

Are they not dogs? Abeg shift. The same bible uses animals like sheep, dove, lion, goat, pig, snake etc to describe persons. It's called metaphor, not insult. The Bible is absolutely spot on in the behavioural descriptions and comparisons. Except you are an "animal racist", there's nothing wrong with metaphors. You just need a little sense to understand when someone is described as a rock, palm tree, iroko etc.

6 Likes

Re: The Biblical Jesus Referred To The Gentiles As 'dogs' by sulasa07(m): 9:46pm On Jan 21, 2020
glowingflame7:

Are they not dogs? Abeg shift. The same bible uses animals like sheep, dove, lion, goat, pig, snake etc to describe persons. It's called metaphor, not insult. The Bible is absolutely spot on in the behavioural descriptions and comparisons. Except you are an "animal racist", there's nothing wrong with metaphors. You just need a little sense to understand when someone is described as a rock, palm tree, iroko etc.
Metaphor indeed!
Christians and lies,beta stop your Taqqiya
Re: The Biblical Jesus Referred To The Gentiles As 'dogs' by glowingflame7: 11:47pm On Jan 21, 2020
sulasa07:

Metaphor indeed!
Christians and lies,beta stop your Taqqiya

Okay it's not a metaphor. I guess you are now saved. Ismailadeen

1 Like

Re: The Biblical Jesus Referred To The Gentiles As 'dogs' by Fortissimo502: 12:07am On Jan 22, 2020
During that age, non jews were called dogs. Its like how some people are called aboki, afonja, etc.

1 Like

Re: The Biblical Jesus Referred To The Gentiles As 'dogs' by AntiChristian: 6:23am On Jan 22, 2020
glowingflame7:

Sorry snake!
I mean I don shift dog!
Re: The Biblical Jesus Referred To The Gentiles As 'dogs' by glowingflame7: 6:41pm On Jan 23, 2020
AntiChristian:

Sorry snake!
I mean I don shift dog!

Meaning? You need to make meaning with your words. I'm sure your statement is meaningless to you and others. Jesus and His audience understood the context and statement. You don't know me personally from anywhere, neither do you have any meaningful reason to say snake or dove or cat or dog or pig. Try not to be senseless in your statements.

2 Likes

Re: The Biblical Jesus Referred To The Gentiles As 'dogs' by Acehart: 2:17am On Jan 24, 2020
AntiChristian:

One, you quoted Jesus wrongly; from your response to other people, your insertion of the word "their" in the reference text is dubious.

When quoting anyone, you have to show objectivity by sticking to the context of the speech or discourse. You didn't show due diligence because of your haste.

Let me help you a bit with this long explanation (let's start from the beginning of the dilenma) :

Matthew 15:24: But He answered and said, "I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel."

Two, please permit me to use a technique I use in my profession to answer your question; it’s called Problem-Solving methodology. Firstly, all the right information about a problem is gathered. Secondly, only six questions are answered. These questions are called the 5W 1H: who, what, where, when, why, how.

1. All the information related to the meaning of “Lost sheep”in the Christian Bible:
a. A select set of people in Israel: These were the spiritually sick (Matthew 9:13). They were the ones who mourned for their sins and needed a Messiah (Luke 5:31-32, 15:6). Psalm 119 refers to the term “lost sheep” as one who recognizes that he is a sinner. Other scriptures show that they are the ones led astray by bad leaders.

2. Who was Jesus talking to?: It was not stated whether He was talking to His disciples or the Syro-Phoenician woman. It’s best to think that He was talking to Himself. However, the woman at the center of this quagmire was referred to as a “dog”. A dog is someone whom the Bible says has many religious affiliations - syncretic, would be the right description. She was a Syno-Phoenician: It was typical of the people of that region to be faithful to many gods (2 Kings 17:24-33).

3. Why did Jesus say what He said?: It was only in Israel that the concept of sin was understood; and extensive rituals for sin and righteousness were observed. Other religions and cultures of that time did not have such a thing. If He met a Gentile, one who did not have an understanding of the concept of sin, He would be in a dilemma and the soliloquy in point 2 above is understandable - He would be wasting His time talking to her. (Do you remember how Christ didn't utter a word to Pontius Pilate, a Gentile renowned for his lack of restraint regarding sin? Likewise, Jesus’ first response to the woman was silence)

4. What was Jesus’ mission?: I’d like to ask you this: if you were to open a shop, wouldn’t you open it where you will have the largest amount of customers? This doesn’t mean that you wouldn’t sell your goods to people while you are on the way to your shop. (There is a man that supplies Agege bread to a woman close to my office. He doesn’t spend more than 10 minutes when he comes to supply his bread. Nevertheless, some people walking to their office will walk to his car to buy his bread without going to his preferred customer - the woman).

Only the children of Abraham were Christ’s preferred customers because of an agreement God had with Abraham. It will only make sense that if He had only three years to sell His bread, the best place to sell is where He had an agreement. This doesn’t mean that other people along the way wouldn’t eat His bread. When Israel broke the agreement, He carried His bread to other people - the Gentiles. So it will be that if the woman who sells the Agege bread breaks the agreement she has with the bread supplier, then he will find a new agent.

You can see the juxtaposition of the use of the words lost sheep and dog to explain Christ's mission. Do not be in a haste when reading the scriptures. Many resources are available for you to use to make the right judgement of texts in the Bible, no matter how difficult they look.

Remember when God said: Who is this that darkens counsel By words without knowledge? He was speaking to those that misrepresented Him or misquoted Him rather. He later condemned them. Let us be careful when we quote God; when a man speaks against a man, another man can defend him; when God speaks against a man, who can defend such a man? - You darkened God's word by your words.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Biblical Jesus Referred To The Gentiles As 'dogs' by AntiChristian: 8:27am On Jan 24, 2020
Acehart:

One, you quoted Jesus wrongly; from your response to other people, I think your insertion of the word "their" in the reference text is dubious.

When quoting anyone, you have to show objectivity by sticking to the context of the speech or discourse. You didn't show due diligence because of your haste.

Let me help you a bit with this long explanation (let's start from the beginning of the dilenma) :

Matthew 15:24: But He answered and said, "I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel."

Two, please permit me to use a technique I use in my profession to answer your question; it’s called Problem-Solving methodology. Firstly, all the right information about a problem is gathered. Secondly, only six questions are answered. These questions are called the 5W 1H: who, what, where, when, why, how.

1. All the information related to the meaning of “Lost sheep”in the Christian Bible:
a. A select set of people in Israel: These were the spiritually sick (Matthew 9:13). They were the ones who mourned for their sins and needed a Messiah (Luke 5:31-32, 15:6). Psalm 119 refers to the term “lost sheep” as one who recognizes that he is a sinner. Other scriptures show that they are the ones led astray by bad leaders.

2. Who was Jesus talking to?: It was not stated whether He was talking to His disciples or the Syro-Phoenician woman. It’s best to think that He was talking to Himself. However, the woman who was the center of this quagmire was referred to as a “dog”. A dog is someone whom the Bible says has many religious affiliations - syncretic would be the right description. She was a Syno-Phoenician. It was typical of the people of that region to be faithful to many gods (2 Kings 17:24-33).

3. Why did Jesus say what He said?: It was only in Israel that the concept of sin was understood; and extensive rituals for sin and righteousness were observed. Other religions and cultures of that time did not have such a thing. If He met a Gentile, one who did not have an understanding of the concept of sin, He would be in a dilemma and the soliloquy (in point 2 above) is understandable - He would be wasting His time talking to her. (Do you remember how Christ didn't utter a word to Pontius Pilate, a Gentile renowned for his lack of restraint regarding sin? )

4. What was Jesus’ mission?: I’d like to ask you this: if you were to open a shop, wouldn’t you open it where you will have the largest amount of customers? This doesn’t mean that you wouldn’t sell your goods to people while you are on the way to your shop. (There is a man that supplies Agege bread to a woman close to my office. He doesn’t spend more than 10 minutes when he comes to supply the bread. Nevertheless, some people walking to their office will walk to his car to buy his bread without going to his preferred customer - the woman).

Only the children of Abraham were Christ’s preferred customers because of an agreement God had with Abraham. It will only make sense that if He had only three years to sell his bread, the best place to sell is where He had an agreement. This doesn’t mean that other people along the way wouldn’t eat His bread. When Israel broke the agreement, He carried His bread to other people - the Gentiles. So it will be that if the woman who sells the Agege bread breaks the agreement she has with the bread supplier, then he will find a new agent.

You can see the juxtaposition of the use of the words lost sheep and dog to explain Christ's mission. Do not be in a haste when reading the scriptures. Many resources are available for you to use to make the right judgement of texts in the Bible, no matter how difficult they look.

Remember when God said: Who is this that darkens counsel By words without knowledge? He was speaking to those that misrepresented Him or misquoted Him rather. He later condemned them. Let us be careful when we quote God; when a man speaks against a man, another man can defend him; when God speaks against a man, who can defend such a man? - You darkened God's word by your words.

Sorry I don't bye all this epistle.
Will you generate same epistle for each of these too?

Matthew 23:33
"You snakes! You brood of vipers! How will you escape being condemned to hell?

Luke 11:40
You foolish people! [/b]Did not the one who made the outside make the inside also?

Matthew 16:23
Jesus turned and said to Peter, "[b]Get behind me, Satan!
You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the things of God, but the things of men."

What type of perfect role model is this to follow? He went around insulting people while he preached, while at the same time he told his followers to show love to their enemies? He even went so far as calling one of his disciples "Satan"!! Why couldn't Jesus be more patient and hold his tongue?
Re: The Biblical Jesus Referred To The Gentiles As 'dogs' by AntiChristian: 8:38am On Jan 24, 2020
glowingflame7:

Meaning? You need to make meaning with your words. I'm sure your statement is meaningless to you and others. Jesus and His audience understood the context and statement. You don't know me personally from anywhere, neither do you have any meaningful reason to say snake or dove or cat or dog or pig. Try not to be senseless in your statements.

The woman was an unbeliever from a tribe who are idolaters. I believe you are an idolater too. So you are a dog!

No vex!
Re: The Biblical Jesus Referred To The Gentiles As 'dogs' by Acehart: 10:40am On Jan 24, 2020
AntiChristian:

You foolish people! [/b]Did not the one who made the outside make the inside also?

You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the things of God, but the things of men."

What type of perfect role model is this to follow? He went around insulting people while he preached, while at the same time he told his followers to show love to their enemies? He even went so far as calling one of his disciples "Satan"!! Why couldn't Jesus be more patient and hold his tongue?

What is your highest academic qualification?
Re: The Biblical Jesus Referred To The Gentiles As 'dogs' by AntiChristian: 3:11pm On Jan 24, 2020
Acehart:

What is your highest academic qualification?

I will tell you if you mention Jesus'! cool
Re: The Biblical Jesus Referred To The Gentiles As 'dogs' by Acehart: 4:01pm On Jan 24, 2020
AntiChristian:

I will tell you if you mention Jesus'! cool

I thought you were a very bold man or woman. But your shying away is a sign of pride. I can see where those heavy words you use against my Lord comes from. Well, Christ said He has judged you already; the result which you would see very soon.

3 Likes

Re: The Biblical Jesus Referred To The Gentiles As 'dogs' by glowingflame7: 4:31pm On Jan 24, 2020
AntiChristian:

The woman was an unbeliever from a tribe who are idolaters. I believe you are an idolater too. So you are a dog!

No vex!

I believe you are a goat. You can be a sheep if you want. No need to be a snake or dog about the matter.
Re: The Biblical Jesus Referred To The Gentiles As 'dogs' by AntiChristian: 5:35pm On Jan 24, 2020
glowingflame7:

I believe you are a goat. You can be a sheep if you want. No need to be a snake or dog about the matter.

grin You don vex! I tell you say make u no vex! You are not a good Christian!

But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. 40 And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. Matthew 5:39-40
Re: The Biblical Jesus Referred To The Gentiles As 'dogs' by AntiChristian: 5:37pm On Jan 24, 2020
Acehart:

I thought you were a very bold man or woman. But your shying away is a sign of pride. I can see where those heavy words you use against my Lord comes from. Well, Christ said He has judged you already; the result which you would see very soon.

I was thinking you will mention Jesus's qualification so that i'll mention mine.

I will see nothing!
Re: The Biblical Jesus Referred To The Gentiles As 'dogs' by glowingflame7: 6:01pm On Jan 24, 2020
AntiChristian:

But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. 40 And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. Matthew 5:39-40

Fortunately for us, I no vex. Just stating bible facts. You think Jesus was vexed when He called gentiles dogs?
Re: The Biblical Jesus Referred To The Gentiles As 'dogs' by AntiChristian: 5:44am On Jan 25, 2020
glowingflame7:

Fortunately for us, I no vex. Just stating bible facts. You think Jesus was vexed when He called gentiles dogs?

Jesus never used more than one animal to qualify a person or tribe at a time. But you used four animals in just about two sentences!

Jesus may not be vexed but he was reluctant and showed no empathy towards the lady because of her tribe!
Re: The Biblical Jesus Referred To The Gentiles As 'dogs' by glowingflame7: 1:20pm On Jan 25, 2020
AntiChristian:

Jesus never used more than one animal to qualify a person or tribe at a time. But you used four animals in just about two sentences!

Jesus may not be vexed but he was reluctant and showed no empathy towards the lady because of her tribe!

Yet he healed her, giving something no one else can ever give her. If a person fits the profile of ten animals, then ten animals he Will get. It is unto you according to your fit.
Re: The Biblical Jesus Referred To The Gentiles As 'dogs' by AntiChristian: 4:10pm On Jan 25, 2020
glowingflame7:

Yet he healed her, giving something no one else can ever give her. If a person fits the profile of ten animals, then ten animals he Will get. It is unto you according to your fit.

After calling her a dog, telling her he wasn't sent to her but someone else!

Yes, he healed her child. She ate the crumbs that fell from the table as a dog.
Re: The Biblical Jesus Referred To The Gentiles As 'dogs' by glowingflame7: 4:42pm On Jan 25, 2020
AntiChristian:

I'd rather receive healing from someone that truly called me a dog, than receive nothing from a flatterer and a deceiver. Be smart.
Re: The Biblical Jesus Referred To The Gentiles As 'dogs' by AntiChristian: 7:33am On Jan 26, 2020
glowingflame7:

I'd rather receive healing from someone that truly called me a dog, than receive nothing from a flatterer and a deceiver. Be smart.

I'd rather have my prestige intact!
Re: The Biblical Jesus Referred To The Gentiles As 'dogs' by glowingflame7: 5:17pm On Jan 26, 2020
AntiChristian:

I'd rather have my prestige intact!

Who prestige help. Your daughter is grievously tormented by the devil,you're looking for someone to flatter you? Indeed, gentiles deserve worse I think.
Re: The Biblical Jesus Referred To The Gentiles As 'dogs' by AntiChristian: 6:29am On Jan 27, 2020
glowingflame7:

Who prestige help. Your daughter is grievously tormented by the devil,you're looking for someone to flatter you? Indeed, gentiles deserve worse I think.

So is that mercy from someone who is called Lord?

Giving miracle reluctantly...just take am like that!
Re: The Biblical Jesus Referred To The Gentiles As 'dogs' by glowingflame7: 3:48pm On Jan 27, 2020
AntiChristian:

So is that mercy from someone who is called Lord?

Giving miracle reluctantly...just take am like that!

Do you perform miracles? What are your terms and conditions since you seem to know better. First your problem was about being flattered, now it's about the right style of mercy. Oga stop confusing your confusion.
Re: The Biblical Jesus Referred To The Gentiles As 'dogs' by Stephenmoka4(m): 10:23pm On Jan 27, 2020
Seriously, try reading the main context of the chapter not just the line and you'll have the meaning of that.
Re: The Biblical Jesus Referred To The Gentiles As 'dogs' by Stephenmoka4(m): 10:33pm On Jan 27, 2020
AntiChristian:

*You snake* , you bloody viper simply means you wicked/heartless people
You foolish people, means the unwise ones
Go behind me Satan, Means leave me rebellious one
that is not an insult. When he say he would build the temple in three days, the temple is actually him but, sadly many don't understand. God promised a land flowing with milk and honey doesn't mean that literally.
Re: The Biblical Jesus Referred To The Gentiles As 'dogs' by Stephenmoka4(m): 10:35pm On Jan 27, 2020
AntiChristian:

If anyone Sue you... Just Simply say submission, do I have to explain submission too
Re: The Biblical Jesus Referred To The Gentiles As 'dogs' by Stephenmoka4(m): 10:36pm On Jan 27, 2020
AntiChristian:

please I'll like to know the passage of Jesus calling her a dog. peace
Re: The Biblical Jesus Referred To The Gentiles As 'dogs' by AntiChristian: 6:19am On Jan 28, 2020
Stephenmoka4:
please I'll like to know the passage of Jesus calling her a dog. peace

Read the OP
Re: The Biblical Jesus Referred To The Gentiles As 'dogs' by AntiChristian: 6:20am On Jan 28, 2020
Stephenmoka4:
If anyone Sue you... Just Simply say submission, do I have to explain submission too

grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Last TRUMP And The ARCHANGEL MICHAEL (bride Of Christ, Wake Up) / Sign Fireman Storms Liberia With A Rain Of Miracles And Salvation! / Nigerian Gay Church Reopens: Alleluia!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.